Combat Width - Switzerland - Mountaineers - Supply

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I easily crushed Switzerland in my Italy WC run a few months back, but that was after I crushed every other major in the game except Japan and China. I invaded Switzerland sometime in '41 or '42. I believe I improved supply, and I invaded with overwhelming force but I just used a basic 9/1 template with support art and engineers, maybe logistics. (I used that division with the log support company to fight in China then South America) and of course had crushing air superiority. However, I think one of the reasons I won so quickly was because all of their divisions were at very low org- I had a permanent wargoal on them thanks to one of the roman focus', so unlike a regular focus/justification they couldn't really tell when I was gonna invade them so AI Switzerland could do the decision that orgs all their militia.
You probably succeeded, but have you checked your casualties? Even in late game and with good equipment, victory can be swift but I'm appalled by the casualties, easily in the 100k-400k range (achieved with all majors). Hence good tactics as above are quite useful when you fix yourself a goal/challenge.

Reactions:
I'm surprised more people aren't saying those divisions are a bit too bloated. Switzerland's mountains have a combat width of 75. By using 44 widths, you're guaranteed to always be significantly over width. I think the best bet would be to make some smaller Mountaineer divisions for hitting Switzerland. Maybe 8/3?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Mountains are 75 width +25 width for each additional province you're attacking from.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You probably succeeded, but have you checked your casualties? Even in late game and with good equipment, victory can be swift but I'm appalled by the casualties, easily in the 100k-400k range (achieved with all majors). Hence good tactics as above are quite useful when you fix yourself a goal/challenge.
Since i completed that WC already there's no way to go back for me to check- but if my memory serves me right it was around 20k-60k. I beat them very quickly because i was ultra aggressive and like i said they had only 20% org to start with because they weren't mobilised so i just monopolized on that. Then i cored them to counteract the resistance

• 1Like
Reactions:
Since i completed that WC already there's no way to go back for me to check- but if my memory serves me right it was around 20k-60k. I beat them very quickly because i was ultra aggressive and like i said they had only 20% org to start with because they weren't mobilised so i just monopolized on that. Then i cored them to counteract the resistance
Nicely done. I now always take Swiss seriously and plan this carefully.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm surprised more people aren't saying those divisions are a bit too bloated. Switzerland's mountains have a combat width of 75. By using 44 widths, you're guaranteed to always be significantly over width. I think the best bet would be to make some smaller Mountaineer divisions for hitting Switzerland. Maybe 8/3?
Aside from what @Synicus point about combat width often being increase by flanks coming into play...a general question: I notice that staying inside the combat width is something many experienced players seem to be very eager about (at least that is how I read all the vivid discussions about this topic). I understand that staying inside combat width is ideal, as exceeding it will give you a penalty. But what I'm trying to grasp: Is that penalty so severe or working in a special manner that I have to care so much about it? Sure, it might pile up on other things or maybe in MP it might give you the deciding edge, if two top player with everything optimized fight each other. But in the average SP game situation, vs. the AI...to me it feels like on factor out of many. Yes, I get that it is something you have a fairly large control about with decision design (while you have often no or little control over e.g. weather, terrain, supply), but I tend to build my divisions rather around what I can effort as equipment, how I can keep organization up or how I get e.g. a decent soft -attack. Usually, that causes them to become bigger over time (and bigger personally starts for me above 20 cw per division) and chances rise that they will violate maximum combat width. But the question always spinning in mind is: Does it matter to lose a few % by exceeding combat width, if another artillery batallion would increase my soft attack? There is probably no universal answer to this possible (and so I don't expect to get one ;) ) and maybe what I'm describing is exactlya part of the magic in HoI4 strategic and tactical decisions, but I would be anyway interested in getting some insights who important complying with maximum cw is.

Aside from what @Synicus point about combat width often being increase by flanks coming into play...a general question: I notice that staying inside the combat width is something many experienced players seem to be very eager about (at least that is how I read all the vivid discussions about this topic). I understand that staying inside combat width is ideal, as exceeding it will give you a penalty. But what I'm trying to grasp: Is that penalty so severe or working in a special manner that I have to care so much about it? Sure, it might pile up on other things or maybe in MP it might give you the deciding edge, if two top player with everything optimized fight each other. But in the average SP game situation, vs. the AI...to me it feels like on factor out of many. Yes, I get that it is something you have a fairly large control about with decision design (while you have often no or little control over e.g. weather, terrain, supply), but I tend to build my divisions rather around what I can effort as equipment, how I can keep organization up or how I get e.g. a decent soft -attack. Usually, that causes them to become bigger over time (and bigger personally starts for me above 20 cw per division) and chances rise that they will violate maximum combat width. But the question always spinning in mind is: Does it matter to lose a few % by exceeding combat width, if another artillery batallion would increase my soft attack? There is probably no universal answer to this possible (and so I don't expect to get one ;) ) and maybe what I'm describing is exactlya part of the magic in HoI4 strategic and tactical decisions, but I would be anyway interested in getting some insights who important complying with maximum cw is.
for mountaineers it's totally worth making 25 widths. otherwise, as a general rule of thumb anything between 10-22 is solid, and then again with around 30 and 40-42. others won't not work, but there's no reason to be using them either in most cases.

Reactions:
for mountaineers it's totally worth making 25 widths. otherwise, as a general rule of thumb anything between 10-22 is solid, and then again with around 30 and 40-42. others won't not work, but there's no reason to be using them either in most cases.
Thanks. I started a new game with the intent to build 22 width divisions with the full five support companies, and I'm doing much better than before with 44 width. Far fewer supply issues so far. We'll see since it's still only 1938. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks. I started a new game with the intent to build 22 width divisions with the full five support companies, and I'm doing much better than before with 44 width. Far fewer supply issues so far. We'll see since it's still only 1938. ;)
Same as you: I saw many successful youtubers adopt 40+ CW armored divisions for pushing, but I can't replicate. It must be done in special conditions: perfect supply lines, high IC... I found I can go up to 30 CW max, but on the other hand it seems I finish my campaigns sooner.

Reactions: