• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nyrael

Field Marshal
82 Badges
Jul 20, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
I was just wondering if it would be possible to make it so that vassals (and PU's) of another state don't use their own color on political map but a different shade of the liege's color? I think it would look more orderly (for example no yellow square in your perfect sea of blue or feeling a need to annex just to make the borders look better) and it would show you which states are vassals without forcing you to click around (for example, seeing light-gray Hungary shows you it is the vassal of Austria).

Good idea

I want to make 50 shades of gray on the map of europe

A great idea.

I want to make 50 shades of gray on the map of europe

Is this a sex thing? :-|

I don't know if this would work. Wouldn't it be kinda hard to tell who's who if your names over all of them and they're all the same color?

I don't know if this would work. Wouldn't it be kinda hard to tell who's who if your names over all of them and they're all the same color?

IMO, it would make it easier actually: only independent foreign states really matter to you (you can't do much to other people's vassals) and this takes care you don't accidentally forget that Bohemia, Poland, Brandeburg and Hungary are under very lucky Austria (a thing every King would be aware of) before attacking them.

As far as your own vassals go, for most of the time you don't care about them once they become your vassals (after all, the only thing you can do with them is annex them).

Nice idea.

What you're suggesting is like CK2's color-coding scheme, correct? If so, I approve.

CanOmar argued something similar. Basically that the Senior/Liege's color should make a border around the Junior/Vassal state. He made an image, but I don't feel like forum spelunking.

Yes, I love this freakin' suggestion. I mean, zoomed out, your name already stretches your vassals, an off-color of the liege's would be quite awesome. Even if for only PU's (which would make sense).

I think its a pretty swell idea too. Of course that would require every country being assigned two color codes, and it might be difficult to avoid scenarios where a country's vassal looks the same color as a neighboring enemy state in some cases.

The best version of this idea is posted somewhere on this forum: When vassalizing something, the subjugated nation doesn't change color, but it gets your color outlining its borders.

Signed.

Not that this is an entirely new idea. AAR Writers have done that in (both different shade and/or border change) their maps for quite a long time.

The strength of Europa Universalis' map is that it makes it look like maps in the history books. History books often paint vassals and allies in lighter shades of the liege or alliance leader. That's why I'm all for this colouring idea too. It would be easier to read the political map and it would look so much tidier and cool.

Sounds nice. Though, there are quite a few possible vassal masters, and you'd want to avoid colors getting too similar - would a Polish vassal get too close to Hungarian colors? Or Austrian vassals get mistaken for Prussia? Maybe better integrate it into a special vassal/dependence mapmode, not the generic political/terrain ones.

Didn't EU3 have the liege's color in stripes over the vassal? That seemed nice too...