Colony colonizing outside its regional border?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AngelRay

Lt. General
73 Badges
May 23, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Hi,

My Brazillian France is now colonizing all by itself in Peru or Argentina... Why?

In past version, it happened that they colonized the border province, but here :

It's not remotely "border" at all!

coloniz.PNG

Frankly, it's really annoying. Now I will not be able to border the Incas region and will have to go from Columbia, but it will mean a slower colony (or even a colony formed by coring 5 Peru-provinces).

:(

Is that a new thing now?

I frankly prefered when they took 1-2 provinces on their border, not this weird thing where they decide to create an exclave of their own.

Reactions:
That's indeed reeeeally annoying. Seen people complaining about this sometimes. In my experience it's always Cuba going after Colombia Region provinces while there are still many 10 dev islands to be colonized in their own region.

Would love to see a "Forbid colonizing outside region" button right next to the "forbid settlement growth" one. Doesn't seem something very hard to implement.

Reactions:
Wow, umm, that seems new. At least, I've never noticed that particular case before.

That's indeed reeeeally annoying. Seen people complaining about this sometimes. In my experience it's always Cuba going after Colombia Region provinces while there are still many 10 dev islands to be colonized in their own region.

Would love to see a "Forbid colonizing outside region" button right next to the "forbid settlement growth" one. Doesn't seem something very hard to implement.

At least Caribbean CNs going for Colombia make some sense because their primary trade node is there.

I agree though that a button would be nice. I'm personally fine with colonial nation borders not being too strict, but I know others aren't.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi,

My Brazillian France is now colonizing all by itself in Peru or Argentina... Why?

In past version, it happened that they colonized the border province, but here :

It's not remotely "border" at all!

View attachment 595623

Frankly, it's really annoying. Now I will not be able to border the Incas region and will have to go from Columbia, but it will mean a slower colony (or even a colony formed by coring 5 Peru-provinces).

:(

Is that a new thing now?

I frankly prefered when they took 1-2 provinces on their border, not this weird thing where they decide to create an exclave of their own.
its within colonial range, whats the dev of it compared to other provinces? you get an event to sort borders of colonial borders this patch.
Also you don't have to make a new thread every time dude, you can post in quick questions and answers thread, or the strange screenshot thread. There's also a french sub forum where you could post without having to translate

Reactions:
Dev of that exclave is:
colonized 4
Colony: 4 and 3.

Their main land: 198

And now they are at war with Charuas and losing because their troop are in their main land.

Frankly.

The overlord needs to do all the work correctly now. (In previous patch I never had really trouble with the CN like that.)

Edit: and of course I can't lend them an army.
Well, they will lose that land and I will take it all back after. Obviously.

A good solution would be to have the option of regulating expansion so that a CN would only expand within its CN region. In any case, if a CN does get land in another CN region then those provinces should form a new CN for you based out of that new region.

Reactions:
A good solution would be to have the option of regulating expansion so that a CN would only expand within its CN region. In any case, if a CN does get land in another CN region then those provinces should form a new CN for you based out of that new region.
Forming new CN should be via event, and increase liberty desire of the CN it came from, would help player CN break free

increase liberty desire of the CN it came from, would help player CN break free
Yes, lets add more events that give magical LD from the ether because Ai subjects arent annoying enough yet.

Or as someone else put it about 3 years ago:
"I wouldnt even mind if subjects were hard to keep in line if they had a meaningful army, a good economy and a firm grip on their internal affairs.
But having high LD just because they nominaly control alot of land is nonsense."

Here is a another idea:
Give me one extra Colonist per CN and have them not colonize at all.
Thats better for my OCD.

Reactions:
Yes, lets add more events that give magical LD from the ether because Ai subjects arent annoying enough yet.

Or as someone else put it about 3 years ago:
"I wouldnt even mind if subjects were hard to keep in line if they had a meaningful army, a good economy and a firm grip on their internal affairs.
But having high LD just because they nominaly control alot of land is nonsense."

Here is a another idea:
Give me one extra Colonist per CN and have them not colonize at all.
Thats better for my OCD.
You get +20 colony growth if the colony is next to an established colony, colonial nations giving both an extra merchant and an extra colonist to overlord would be OP, just subsidise the 2 ducats a month as everyone does.
Pretty sure AI doesn't already do it, but if they could prioritise colonising provinces you've marked as strategic and vital interest that'd be nice.
Colombian colonial nations are the only ones I find have issues with constant rebels, Mexico gets initial aztec issues but fine after that, 13 colonies never get it.

Having to appease colonial nations so they don't rebel I see no issue, hurts late game Spain, especially nice after force PUs don't guarantee getting their colonial subjects as well. And why wouldn't a colonial nation be annoyed you've just taken some land it claimed to rule, New York and lots of the other northern 13 colonies get pissed at GB for not letting them expand into Quebec

Last edited:
It happened in the previous version(s). I just finished ryukyu run on 1.29 and had to fight Cuba in Columbia/Venezuela area. At some point, if you have two colonial nations, event triggers that pushes them back to 'historical' borders. Other than that, annoying bug/feature that we have for ages.

Yeah, and knowing pdx it'll do the same as "forbid settlement growth", that is, nothing at all ;)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
It happened in the previous version(s). I just finished ryukyu run on 1.29 and had to fight Cuba in Columbia/Venezuela area. At some point, if you have two colonial nations, event triggers that pushes them back to 'historical' borders. Other than that, annoying bug/feature that we have for ages.
The event in previous versions gave liberty desire to one of them and decreased relations, and inverse to the other, it didn't shift land