• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

afb

Colonel
95 Badges
Dec 21, 2003
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
In EU2 I've always liked establishing colonies. But once I've created around ten i find it gets boring, and the endless colonists I have to send gets really annoying.

What I would like is to eliminate the management from when you've first established your level 1 colony until it grows to a real town. I like the principle of the colony growing as you send more settlers, but I don't like sending 10 colonists to do it.

What I suggest is this:
-Colonies are first established in a way not do different from making a level 1 colony in EU2
-Based on your economy, technology, religion, domestic sliders, etc. you get a "maximum colonization rate". This is not much different from EU2, where your colonist rate in effect is just that - a maximum colonization rate.
-A slider somewhere, that allows you to allocate gold in exchange for colonial expansion, but only up to your "maximum colonization rate". How much you spend determines how rapidly your colonies grow, both in numbers and size.
-A number of sliders (or switches, or something) allowing you to prioritize which colonies are given attention. Spread to many<>build up few, high<>low tax value, many<>few natives. Something about resources too.
-Optional micromanagement options for each colony, allowing you to check a box if you want it prioritized (as the reinforcements in HOI2), and maybe other things. (ie. native treatment, extorting<>building up, etc.).

Hope it makes sense

Anders

A, very, similar idea has already been proposed in this thread.
I must admit that, though at first i did not like it, i'm coming to like the idea more and more.

It brings into question much of the holistic vision on division of resources.

How much money should be earnable.
Does research cost, how about colonisation... does money matter much atall..?
Is it simply a measure of armies.. and the occasional special project? Then maybe a halving of old incomes would be in order?

But other than that, auto-colonisation could be pretty nice.
Still however land vs sea slider has to go.. build buffers of barracks/tradeships or something, but lack of a naval tradition shouldnt hurt russian eastwards colonistion ;) and likewise, naval nations armies shoulnt be THAT hopeless..
While a strong land tradition should be a bonus for landwards colonisation across the steppes/praeries

I like the idea that you simply provide a "charter" for an area (the land then becomes "shaded" in your colour, other nations can still colonize/conquer this area without causing a direct war) over time depending on a lot of factors (attractiveness for the area, various sliders, maybe some kind of "colonial subsidy", if you send troops there, etc. etc.) people start to move into the area and after a while you have a colony (that in turn can turn into a full-fledged province over time)

Maybe it's me, but this idea sounds like greater micromanagement than simply directing each colonist as they appear. It might take twenty finely tuned sliders to make the same decision I'd make simply by glancing at the map.

-Pat

Arilou said:
I like the idea that you simply provide a "charter" for an area (the land then becomes "shaded" in your colour, other nations can still colonize/conquer this area without causing a direct war) over time depending on a lot of factors (attractiveness for the area, various sliders, maybe some kind of "colonial subsidy", if you send troops there, etc. etc.) people start to move into the area and after a while you have a colony (that in turn can turn into a full-fledged province over time)

Yes, this is a good idea.

pjcrowe said:
Maybe it's me, but this idea sounds like greater micromanagement than simply directing each colonist as they appear. It might take twenty finely tuned sliders to make the same decision I'd make simply by glancing at the map.

-Pat

yes but you would only have to move the sliders once and then you can start 10 different colonies and let them grow.. if you feel that it's time to change your policy you are free to do so at any time like when there is peace and you have some time to spare

Arilou said:

Good idea. Also other countries should be able to set up trading posts in the area. Multiple trading posts in a province should be allowed up to a point. That point being a certain level of colonization.

:)

I like the idea of only funding the first colony. As this adds to the realism. After that other factors should come into play as how fast it develops into a city. But I also have no problem "micromanaging" colonies either :D

pjcrowe said:

-Pat
yes and no :) It reminds me of one of the differences between Civ2 where the settlers had to move and then could work the land around the cities and Civ3 where you only had to pay in the city windows and choose the improvement
In Civ2, at the end of the game the settlers (engieers if I recall) were always numerous and you spent a lot of time to make them work. Time you did'nt have to spend in the latter game.

Well, I do prefer Civ2 myself :eek:o but I can understand people considered settlers were too much trouble to manage...

To come back to the EU3 topic, I would say that you would only have to choose the first settlements and the priorities. The other sliders would determine if you are a colonizing nation or not (just as in EU2 catholic, free trade and naval nations actually are)