• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me ask you something. As is, what do you think of the gameplay for African tribes that never had any contact with the Europeans until the end of the game (like the ones around Lake Victoria)? Why do they get an entire different treatment than the natives?

If you want to defend realism, by all means do it, but why should it be selectively applied to some nations only? I may be wrong but I think this is one of the points that TheMeInTeam is trying to make; NA natives are one of the few starts which forces you to wait before you can catch up with the rest of the world. Other tags that could be considered technologically backwards for this time period don't have to go through any hoops and can just Dev for institutions.

Hell, what about the three Siberian nations?
You're using a fallacious argument to imply that I am only arguing for selective change. I only highlighted this specific area of concern, but I have broader concerns for all Natives as-depicted in the game-we-have.

Solution? Nerf them all, as many of these have the same/same issues as North American Natives, but --
The Colonization period of the Americas, specifically, is a highlight of this game. You have entire Idea categories (Exploration and Expansion) dedicated toward revealing the map and colonizing unclaimed provinces, with the potential for Colonial Nations to form. The game is centered on Europe, as the title implies - Europa Universalis, so this is a Euro-Centric game regardless the many DLCs and updates over many years, that have provided alternative starting options and focus. This time period featured a race to the Americas by European nations, and the going Player Base trends toward game setup conditions using a European-located nation.

Attempts at equalization in the Americas just happens to be the most noticeable Design and Implementation error in-game, not just because of expectations for EU4, but expectations of EU as an entire game series, from onset of the first EU game in October 2000. If the core concept of a Europa Universalis game has changed to a global-equivalence game with highly unrealistic, unhistorical Game Setup/Options, then that new game should not be titled Europa Universalis, but something else (and categorized within Fantasy Games).

Edit, and for Reference as a Foundational discussion point: Here is a description of the original Europa Universalis game released in October 2000:
- Europa Universalis lets the player take control of one of seven European nations (others are available in different scenarios) from 1492 to 1801, expanding its power through military might, diplomacy, and colonial wealth. The game takes place on a map divided into 3,633 provinces, and proceeds in a pausable real time format.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I agree with most of your points, Nuclear Elvis. But surely, I cannot be the only one who found playing ROTW nations much more fun back when there was a real lategame tech gap. I love challenge runs and suboptimal starts. Particulalry, playing a Native American tag in EU3/Pre-Institutions EU4 was a legitimate survival challenge; now it’s been replaced with “Europe 2: Now with a tiny bit of colonizeable space”

Asian/African runs were fun for similar reasons. You had these big bad Euro empires breathing down your neck while you desperately had to consolidate and advance (or die trying) . All of that fun, asymmetric gameplay is gone now, and I’m sad that the devs probably don’t have any intention of bringing it back.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Whoops, you are half-right wrt this thread, my mistake. It was yet-another thread on this topic where I pointed out why the rationale presented is incoherent: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...colonial-debacle-in-eu4.1486410/post-27734410

Though see post #64 for why it's only half, because again I question the self-consistency of standards.

With that said, chain repeats of the same incoherent rationale will eventually get frustrating.

"This AI is bad" and "this outcome is not consistent with history" are failed arguments, demonstrated repeatedly for many years now. They do not single out natives and are not a coherent standard to change natives in particular. If you use them as a standard to change natives (as opposed to...say...improving the AI or something), you are stuck advocating to completely rework EU 4, including almost all of its core mechanics.

If we really cared about "historical" argumentation, there would not be many times more of these than there are about, say, truce length, which doesn't even make it to half of the maximum page count in the search.

The above is simply a list of only threads with "natives" in the title, so it is actually only a fraction of this repeated discussion/self-inconsistent complaint over the years.

Not a bad statement. Now, consider its use generally, including for yourself. What you think is good design may or may not be logical or reasonable. I hold that for a position to be either, it *must* be self-consistent. You can't have a standard along the lines of "I care about AI incompetence but also don't care about AI incompetence" or "I care about historical plausibility but also don't care about historical plausibility" and wind up with something that fits the description of "logical".

Yet in using the above complaints to single out natives specifically...that's exactly what's happening.
The reason why this argument is singled out now as you well know is that it was changed in the most recent dlc. This is a new change where we get large native duchies of which the addition makes it cool for the 6 people who play NA natives but it makes it so that the AI european colonial empires colonise provences only to give them to massive native dukes. The arbitrary notion of creating this NA situation without updating the Europeans that interact with them is the issue. The issue that you are deliberately obfuscating with the amount of drivel you put in your posts.

The amount of effort you a putting into deliberately misconstruing the argument is not healthy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you're asking for Natives in North America to not "wait" for tech and capabilities that includes: Guns, Cannons, Tall Ships, and Cavalry (which requires horses as a prerequisite); then you are asking for a Fantasy Game
I'm not "asking for" a fantasy game. I have pointed out, repeatedly, that EU 4 *is* a fantasy game, period. You have yet to refute those arguments.

It is a fantasy game not just because of natives, but because of its core mechanics and by-design interactions, some of which I already listed and never got answered. Some of which are at least as unrealistic as any native iteration in any patch, if not more so, because they are also completely impossible in a game that actually simulates history.

Your case is the one advocating to make EU 4 something it is not, but oddly only in the context of one consideration (natives).
You simply are not acknowledging the fact that the Americas were essentially an isolated pocket of the world for centuries, without the tech advances, metallurgy, and means
You are simply not acknowledging the fact that this game allows WC by design, goes out of its way to stabilize large nations, and simplifies military logistics to a degree where singling out one mechanic doesn't make sense.
You're using a fallacious argument to imply that I am only arguing for selective change. I only highlighted this specific area of concern, but I have broader concerns for all Natives as-depicted in the game-we-have.
Explain how my position can possibly be "fallacious" in the context of this quote, given what I have already written in this thread, lol. I get that "techs, coalitions, and peace deals are objectively less realistic than natives" is inconvenient for your position, but the game's own rules dictate outcomes that were not possible historically, and they do so routinely even outside of native regions. They do so by design.

Shoehorning "realism" (that isn't actually realism) into natives in a game otherwise about larping historical fantasy isn't a functional position from which to build a good game. Good games have internal consistency. Complaining about a duke of Susquehannock while Crimea or Kazan can "revoke the privilege" before 1600 is awkward.
Attempts at equalization in the Americas just happens to be the most noticeable Design and Implementation error in-game
To you maybe. However:
  • Let's not pretend there is any "equalization" going on here. Conquest of new world is trivial to players because non-primitive starts still hold a massive advantage over them. Decent players can make 13 colonies > century early, right now, starting as an OPM...and the majority of the challenge in doing so is consolidating their starting region. That's not what "equal" looks like.
  • Some people might notice that ZoC is still in beta
  • Same for things like "unbalanced research"
The fact of the matter is that western hemisphere/Australian starts remain *uniquely* handicapped in a way that sets them back massively and implies that relatively equal-skill colonizer players can mop the floor with a human that starts new world. That is the actual state of EU 4 right now, and it's not clear why it's actually bad if one takes a self-consistent position.
Asian/African runs were fun for similar reasons. You had these big bad Euro empires breathing down your neck while you desperately had to consolidate and advance (or die trying)
I've played EU 4 since patch 1.3, and I'm not sure which patch you're talking about :p. Most cases you'd just "westernize" before 1550 and clap them. AI wasn't good with intercontinental invasions in the past, either. And for a while Pdox didn't arbitrarily restrict boats from nations that had the technology for them.
The reason why this argument is singled out now as you well know is that it was changed in the most recent dlc.
Are you really saying that after the list of links I gave you? Really?
The arbitrary notion of creating this NA situation without updating the Europeans that interact with them is the issue.
Europeans got new colony types and a big spike in expected time to get returns on new world conquest. It is (objectively) more lucrative to conquer into new world in 1.31 than it was in 1.30. You get more territory, more wealth, and better benefits from the colonies and you get them sooner.

I see no coherent logic that complains about AI failure to conquer natives that doesn't also implicate AI failure to conquer HRE, China, India, Indonesia, or Iran. For all the complaining here, it is a fact that the natives were still around during/after the Napoleonic wars (which they participated in), while the HRE was not. However, if you run 100+ AI-only games, which is more likely to happen in EU 4...conquest of the HRE, or successful colonies in new world?

I'd put money on the latter, even if neither is especially likely. But somehow, it's only the natives doing something ahistorical that is a problem yet again.
The issue that you are deliberately obfuscating with the amount of drivel you put in your posts.

The amount of effort you a putting into deliberately misconstruing the argument is not healthy.
Let's not go stooping to ad hominem. Not only is it a bad look, it effectively signals that you can't answer the arguments properly. Maybe you really can't, but this kind of stuff won't help whatever case you're trying to make.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
. Complaining about a duke of Susquehannock while Crimea or Kazan can "revoke the privilege" before 1600 is awkward.

To you maybe. However:
  • Let's not pretend there is any "equalization" going on here. Conquest of new world is trivial to players because non-primitive starts still hold a massive advantage over them. Decent players can make 13 colonies > century early, right now, starting as an OPM...and the majority of the challenge in doing so is consolidating their starting region. That's not what "equal" looks like.

Europeans got new colony types and a big spike in expected time to get returns on new world conquest. It is (objectively) more lucrative to conquer into new world in 1.31 than it was in 1.30. You get more territory, more wealth, and better benefits from the colonies and you get them sooner.
Revoke privlegia was stopped by making it +10 IA for tags joining instead of +1 per province

Why do you keep on going on about 13 colonies when giving the natives land and fast reforms makes their conquest easier than the conquest of Mexico. To use your argument with fast reforming natives a player US could get to the mid West more than a century before the louisana purchase

Leviathan did buff colonies with the subject interactions, it also bugged force limit. Colonies were also very profitable with tariffs until ddr jake nerfed them

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not "asking for" a fantasy game. I have pointed out, repeatedly, that EU 4 *is* a fantasy game, period. You have yet to refute those arguments.
You may be surprised to know that the design philosophy for the Europa Universalis series was, in large part, simulatory. "Believable Worlds" isn't just a meme- it is (or at least was) an important part of Johan's design philosophy. EU4, as with previous games in the series, should be historically plausible.

If Spain has fully settled Alaska by 1700, then it's not a believable outcome. If the Iroquois Confederacy has a Imperial army of 30 000 men complete with cannons, cavalry, and galleons in 1600, then that's also an unbelievable outcome. Both outcomes are undesirable, and it seems that EU4's developers have long given up on creating anything but a memey map-painting game. I can only hope that EU5 has better direction, but I'm not holding my breath.
I've played EU 4 since patch 1.3, and I'm not sure which patch you're talking about :p. Most cases you'd just "westernize" before 1550 and clap them. AI wasn't good with intercontinental invasions in the past, either. And for a while Pdox didn't arbitrarily restrict boats from nations that had the technology for them.
If you were westernizing by 1550, then congratulations on employing cheesy strats to game the system. But the AI and the non-metagaming player would take much longer to westernize, especially if you were playing far from Europe.

The AI also used to be much better at intercontinental invasion. Play a game of EU3 if you don't believe me. The failure of the AI to project power overseas is a very recent phenomenon.

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
and it seems that EU4's developers have long given up on creating anything but a memey map-painting game.
With the way EU 4's rules have been set, even at release, it was never anything else. They might have wanted it so, but between how mana works, peace deals, truces, decision making entities in countries, coalitions all being intentional and wild deviation from history there's no way to get "plausible outcomes". At least, not with internal consistency. Change the core game rules, a lot, then maybe.

If you were westernizing by 1550, then congratulations on employing cheesy strats to game the system.

It's interesting to claim "pick exploration ideas and place a colony in the Caribbean" is a "cheesy strat", lol. Same deal for West Africans, except they didn't even need ideas to do it.

Pulling it off from India or China required more effort (not impossible to chop through Mamluks for example), or what you might describe as "cheese". Depended on the patch. But for new world nations, completing westernization by 1550 was bad/slow. 1520 was pretty good.

• 2Like
Reactions:
With the way EU 4's rules have been set, even at release, it was never anything else. They might have wanted it so, but between how mana works, peace deals, truces, decision making entities in countries, coalitions all being intentional and wild deviation from history there's no way to get "plausible outcomes". At least, not with internal consistency. Change the core game rules, a lot, then maybe.

It's interesting to claim "pick exploration ideas and place a colony in the Caribbean" is a "cheesy strat", lol. Same deal for West Africans, except they didn't even need ideas to do it.

Pulling it off from India or China required more effort (not impossible to chop through Mamluks for example), or what you might describe as "cheese". Depended on the patch. But for new world nations, completing westernization by 1550 was bad/slow. 1520 was pretty good.
Whats your gripe with coalitions, when they combine people outside a shared super region?

I'm not "asking for" a fantasy game. [Truncated for the sanity of the Forum...]
@TheMeInTeam Probably the largest strawman post I've seen in the forum, to date, and you're replying in one case as if you're @EarlKonrad to whom I gave a separate reply.

As for what category of game that Europa Universalis is, from first iteration in October 2000 to the current EU4, it has been and remains a Grand Strategy game based on real world history. The portrayal of realism isn't rigid, but within enough of a bounds to provide a somewhat historic presentation throughout the game's play through.

Last - you keep injecting comments in criticism of Game Design that allows World Conquest (WC), but no one here (myself included) is arguing in favor of WC potential in Game Design. Take a big Nerf Hammer to that one as well (something we actually agree on).

• 1Love
Reactions:
Plausibly historical outcomes can be achieved even with abstracted systems (See Victoria 2, EU3, pre-2016 EU4, HOI3). There just has to be a desire on part of the developers to accomplish this. Unfortunately, that desire seems to have become increasingly absent since 2016. Europa Universalis is well on its way to becoming a 4X series, if this trend continues into EU5.

If you were building colonies in the Caribbean in 1500 as Congo solely to achieve early Westernization, then yes, you were metagaming with cheesy strats. You wanted to paint the map, so you beelined for the closest European nation to Westernize and teched up. Players today are able to break Institutions in a similar way by devving provinces, with even more absurd results.

You're free to play like that. But I didn't play like that, and the AI certainly didn't play like that. Using those strategies as your frame of reference for general game balance is misguided.

Last - you keep injecting comments in criticism of Game Design that allows World Conquest (WC), but no one here (myself included) is arguing in favor of WC potential in Game Design. Take a big Nerf Hammer to that one as well (something we actually agree on).
This. WC should be near impossible, if not completely impossible to pull off by 1820. The game should not be balanced around WC runs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Whats your gripe with coalitions, when they combine people outside a shared super region?
They hard-limit war score taken (unlike any coalition in history ever) and they block separate peace entirely regardless of situation for target country (unlike any coalition in history ever).

@TheMeInTeam Probably the largest strawman post I've seen in the forum, to date, and you're replying in one case as if you're @EarlKonrad to whom I gave a separate reply.

That's not what "strawman" means. The assertion that EU 4 is a fantasy game in practice is MY argument, not yours. I'm not representing it as yours, I'm stating it as a refutation of your position.

You might disagree with it. Maybe you will even give solid reasoning why at some point. But as I'm not representing it as your argument, it is false to call it a strawman.

The portrayal of realism isn't rigid, but within enough of a bounds to provide a somewhat historic presentation throughout the game's play through.
I won't comment on pre-EU 4, because it's outside of the scope of a discussion about colonization in EU 4. But to refute the quote above:

Even in the 2013 posts, there are flagrant divergences from anything historically possible/plausible, such as Japan owning all of Mexico before 1590.

The point being that your statement about what the game is/supposed to be (a historical simulator), is not actually consistent with what the game is now, what the game was 1 year ago, what the game was 8 years ago, or what the devs described as "risk on crack". WC is intentionally part of the design, and some of us are okay with that.

What you are advocating is a hard design shift in what EU 4 is, > 8 years into its existence (maybe for only some mechanics, maybe more broadly). It's bad practice either way.

pre-2016 EU4
I don't know what game you were looking at, but it wasn't EU 4.

There just has to be a desire on part of the developers to accomplish this.
And there was, in some of those other games. EU 4 is not those other games, it is EU 4. For better or worse, its mechanics/systems were designed differently with different goals in mind. It's okay to have different types of games.

Even back in 2015 and before with completely different devs, the company line was still "gameplay > realism", and WC was both an achievement and achieved numerous times.

If you were building colonies in the Caribbean in 1500 as Congo solely to achieve early Westernization, then yes, you were metagaming with cheesy strats.
What the heck. No, you colonized Caribbean as nations like Aztec, Maya, Inca/Chimu, or Cherokee. If you picked Kongo, you'd just drop 1-2 colonies up the ivory coast and westernize off the Portuguese or Spanish colony there.

The cheese strats were things like seizing a nearly-finished European colony from across the world as Brunei and using that to westernize. Kongo/Aztec didn't need to do anything like that.

Players today are able to break Institutions in a similar way by devving provinces, with even more absurd results.
If you believe developing for institutions is "cheese" you do not have a coherent definition of what "cheese" means in your own mind.

You're free to play like that. But I didn't play like that, and the AI certainly didn't play like that. Using those strategies as your frame of reference for general game balance is misguided.
The game's rules define its reality, not what some player did or did not do. The fact of the matter is that westernization was available the instant any nation touched a western core, and this could happen very early with minimal effort unless you were in Asia. And amusingly, people complained about the natives being unrealistic/in some cases too strong even back then.

Similarly, even in 1.3-1.5 or whatever, taking historical peace deals was (mostly) impossible and numerous historical conquests would never happen w/o player doing them. And coalitions were even worse than they are now, in terms of historical realism.

This. WC should be near impossible, if not completely impossible to pull off by 1820. The game should not be balanced around WC runs.
Those that have designed, implemented and sold the game have consistently disagreed with you in both word and action since before the game released until now. There are multiple achievements for WC, and it remains a fact that whatever players say about it, only a tiny % of players actually succeed when attempting them. More still don't try, then parrot statements about it that are obviously false :p.

Pushing your expansion rate is THE thing the game builds constraints around/challenges. It's a measure of skill that separates players, while PvP in MP games is another such measure. I will not agree to arbitrary, self-inconsistent logic nor an argument to completely change EU 4 into something else. Either of those things will make the game worse than it is right now, to at least some of us.

• 3Like
Reactions:
@TheMeInTeam You presented information as if I were in favor of World Conquest, by bringing it up, when neither myself or anyone else has argued in favor of World Conquest, and this entire thread is about "Colonization at the moment" and not World Conquest, so - yes, you are meeting the classic definition of the Strawman argument by constantly using other-than-primary-topic Colonization with multi-quotes and walls of text to glamorize your position. You refuted something (WC) that was not postulated as the argument, so - yes, wear your Strawman costume with pride.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You presented information as if I were in favor of World Conquest
No, I present WC as evidence against EU 4 prioritizing being a "historical simulator" over a game first. Which is why I also gave a long list of (still mostly unaddressed) things that are also ridiculous from a historical perspective. My point this whole time is that EU 4, as a whole, diverges strongly from reality by design.

Advocating the change of any piece of that design w/o calling for a new game entirely is not an internally consistent position. This thread isn't titled "reworking EU 4 in general" with colonization as one list among many. It is a rehash of one of the more commonly repeated self-inconsistent criticisms of EU 4 over the past 8 years, targeting natives specifically yet again.

That criticism is a) more common than things like peace deals and truces combined and b) incoherent to EU 4 broadly. Nerfing the natives with arbitrary restrictions (more so than they already have!) will make the game worse, not better. So I push back on the self-inconsistent rationale targeting natives specifically.

yes, you are meeting the classic definition of the Strawman argument by constantly using other-than-primary-topic Colonization with multi-quotes and walls of text to glamorize your position.
I am *supporting* my position with reasoning. It would be useful if you tried that too, while addressing prior statements that refute your arguments.

"Strawman" requires that I represent a position as somebody else's, and I'm not doing that beyond using examples to point out logical inconsistencies. Again, that's not what "strawman" means.

You refuted something (WC) that was not postulated as the argument

And if anybody is wearing straw right now, it's you, since quoted does in fact assert I made an argument I did not. Let's rewind and follow the flow of this discussion:
  1. "The state of colonization is bad because it's unrealistic"
    1. Refutation: The game's core mechanics are broadly unrealistic in general, so there is no reason to single out natives. You will never get a realistic game by approaching EU 4 this way.
  2. "We are not singling out natives, we want the game in general to be more realistic. But let's focus on natives specifically for this thread, again".
    1. Refutation: Changing natives specifically in the context of a game you acknowledge as unrealistic will result in internally inconsistent gameplay (aka mechanics don't exist in a vacuum). The presence of WC and other unrealistic features is evidence that this game was not designed to be realistic, therefore the criticism of natives being realistic is not by itself valid basis for changing them.
  3. "Why are you bringing up these other mechanics?! That's a STRAWMAN!!!11111"
In other words, I did not "refute WC". I refuted the notion that natives somehow need to be changed on the basis of historical realism, because that position was and remains incoherent *because* things like 15 year truces, WC, and coalitions exist in their current form in EU 4. EU 4 is so far gone from history that you can't change one aspect of it like this and get a "more historical" result. You would need to create a completely new game.

And if you do want that new game, that's fine. But if that were the honest desire...if that were really the core issue in play here...this thread wouldn't exist and it wouldn't focus on the natives specifically, as threads have disproportionately done for years.

• 2Like
Reactions:
No, I present WC as evidence against EU 4 prioritizing being a "historical simulator" over a game first. Which is why I also gave a long list of (still mostly unaddressed) things that are also ridiculous from a historical perspective. My point this whole time is that EU 4, as a whole, diverges strongly from reality by design.

Advocating the change of any piece of that design w/o calling for a new game entirely is not an internally consistent position. This thread isn't titled "reworking EU 4 in general" with colonization as one list among many. It is a rehash of one of the more commonly repeated self-inconsistent criticisms of EU 4 over the past 8 years, targeting natives specifically yet again.

That criticism is a) more common than things like peace deals and truces combined and b) incoherent to EU 4 broadly. Nerfing the natives with arbitrary restrictions (more so than they already have!) will make the game worse, not better. So I push back on the self-inconsistent rationale targeting natives specifically.

I am *supporting* my position with reasoning. It would be useful if you tried that too, while addressing prior statements that refute your arguments.

"Strawman" requires that I represent a position as somebody else's, and I'm not doing that beyond using examples to point out logical inconsistencies. Again, that's not what "strawman" means.

And if anybody is wearing straw right now, it's you, since quoted does in fact assert I made an argument I did not. Let's rewind and follow the flow of this discussion:
  1. "The state of colonization is bad because it's unrealistic"
    1. Refutation: The game's core mechanics are broadly unrealistic in general, so there is no reason to single out natives. You will never get a realistic game by approaching EU 4 this way.
  2. "We are not singling out natives, we want the game in general to be more realistic. But let's focus on natives specifically for this thread, again".
    1. Refutation: Changing natives specifically in the context of a game you acknowledge as unrealistic will result in internally inconsistent gameplay (aka mechanics don't exist in a vacuum). The presence of WC and other unrealistic features is evidence that this game was not designed to be realistic, therefore the criticism of natives being realistic is not by itself valid basis for changing them.
  3. "Why are you bringing up these other mechanics?! That's a STRAWMAN!!!11111"
In other words, I did not "refute WC". I refuted the notion that natives somehow need to be changed on the basis of historical realism, because that position was and remains incoherent *because* things like 15 year truces, WC, and coalitions exist in their current form in EU 4. EU 4 is so far gone from history that you can't change one aspect of it like this and get a "more historical" result. You would need to create a completely new game.

And if you do want that new game, that's fine. But if that were the honest desire...if that were really the core issue in play here...this thread wouldn't exist and it wouldn't focus on the natives specifically, as threads have disproportionately done for years.
Can we ever have change if there's always another aspect of gameplay to fix first?

Can we ever have change if there's always another aspect of gameplay to fix first?
The problem is that the "fix" is operating on the assumption of a different game.

As an analogy, consider complaints about acceleration due to gravity or the square-cube law in a platformer implying that larger characters should take more fall damage. In a platformer with invincibility powerups, magic, and bullet time.

Even if that platformer uses real-world weapons and historical figures...it's still ridiculous. You might want to play a platformer more true to history or real-world physics, but the game in question just isn't that platformer.

In EU 4, an early native duchy is analogous to that lack of square-cube law. Unrealistic, yes, but not meaningfully so in a game which *intentionally* allows stuff like hordes to unify the HRE under Catholicism before the protestant reformation even sets in properly. The standards that single out the natives literally single out hundreds of things in EU 4...more or less a request for a different game. It's not good process to try to transform EU 4 into whatever that is one mechanic at a time. That would leave it an even more broken mess and still fall far short of that goal.

Reactions:
Interesting thread.

In my latest 1.31 game (1356 mod) North American natives in the Louisiana region have an alliance network that generates 107 units. Even with the TL difference (TL 11 for natives, my TL is 17; note TLs are different in 1356 mod) this is something of an issue. The # of armies makes sense considering that some of the native colonies have dev of up to 84 (!!!!).

I have to say that even with the large Native American cities that were present before European colonization that a native city with 84 dev native city is silly. After all, my capitol of Constantinople only has development of of 58 (note I am not really using the ridiculous dev stealing and consolidation from 1.31, which is silly and subject to abuse). Moreover, the native populations of meso American had been devastated by disease by this time, leading to wholesale collapse or their prosperous civilizations and in many cases complete abandonment of their large cities.

I see that both Spain and Portugal have lost colonies to the natives since native provinces have Castilian and Portuguese culture and Catholic religion in the Mexico and Louisiana colonial regions. This is not surprising considering the huge native development and army swarms.

Byzantium does not have exploration or expansion. I took colonies from Portugal. I can't see many of the native counties due to fog of war, which makes conquering them difficult w/o conquistadors. So I'll have to wait to conquer more Portuguese colonies in the next war and steel maps to see more of the area.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I think we need to take a breather.

Please remember to respect your fellow forum members, even when you disagree.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.