• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saulta

Colonel
3 Badges
Aug 19, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • 500k Club
Hi, I´m playing as France in the GC. I decided to play a colonial game, and invested heavliy in naval tech, and doubled the size of my navy. The problem is, I don´t get any colonists! What do I have to do?

Saulta

Saulta said:
Hi, I´m playing as France in the GC. I decided to play a colonial game, and invested heavliy in naval tech, and doubled the size of my navy. The problem is, I don´t get any colonists! What do I have to do?
Convert to Protestant. Countries don't get any colonists for being Catholic. Protestant and Orthodox get one per year if they have a port, Reformed get 3 per year. Once your Naval Tech gets high enough, you can build a Shipyard (or simply conquer Spain's or Venice's); owning one or more of these gives a country one colonist per year.

You also gain one colonist for each explorer or conquistador upon their arrival. In addition, some countries (including France) experience periods of Colonial Dynamism during certain parts of the game. I'm not certain when this is for France, but probably it's the second half of the game.

-Pat

Wait... I played England, looked at the colonists and it clearly displayed:
+3 Colonial Dynamism
+2 Reformed Catholic
I am Reformed. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Didn't Reformed give 3?

Thanks, but problem solved, Colonial Dynamism kicked in after 1560 :D

Battle bunny said:
Wait... I played England, looked at the colonists and it clearly displayed:
+3 Colonial Dynamism
+2 Reformed Catholic
I am Reformed. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Didn't Reformed give 3?
Yeah, I keep thinking what's listed in the book. I think one of the later patches must have dropped it.

-Pat

Saulta said:
Thanks, but problem solved, Colonial Dynamism kicked in after 1560 :D

Yeah, that is one of the years where it changes. If you look in the colonists.csv and the traders.csv (IIRC) you'll see where the values come from. (You'll have to add them together.)

Lord Finnish said:
To get colonists, hit F12 and type "pocahontas".
Cheater. :mad:

Or, in between sessions, you could edit the saved game file. I wonder if that will allow for more than six colonists/merchants/diplomats? I've never tried (that :rolleyes: ).

-Pat

It does allow for more than six, but unless you are the AI you can only spend one of the surplus, after which your total gets reduced to six if it was above. (IGC starts Venice off with 10 Merchants, IIRC)

I can't seem to recall that they do - to my recollection that would be reformed. Shi'ite countries get a nice morale bonus, though. IGC might have added some, but in the GC the world belongs to Europe, mostly.

But there should be a 'religion.csv' file that you could look into to make sure (and edit if you wanted ;))