• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(65)

Second Lieutenant
Feb 1, 2000
Visit site
I have a question that arises from an historical example I remembered (again from Portuguese expansion history)

The portuguese and a tough time building their fleet and when they arrived in India they didn´t think twice. They fortified a series of large trade posts and then built a large shipyard (I think that it was in Goa) and brough shipmakers from Portugal.
This shipyard built some of the biggest (and best) ocean going ships of it´s time.

a small quote from an history book
in the beggining of the XVI century a portuguese ship had ' a crew of 120-150 men ,carried 500 soldiers on board' and reached the '1000 to 2000 tons of weight'!

'whenever an english ship sighted a portuguese warship it quickly steered clear, out of range of the cannons'

OK this tech supperiority went down the drain in 1580 but the point of this post is:
can we use a colony to build up our military might or not?

P.S. The portuguese also used local troops extensively (like in 1 portuguese officer and 100 locals ratio!) and it didn´t matter where they were from (continent, race, creed etc)!

You've got to be able to use them yes??

other colonial powers did this

I would imagine that in theory, if given long enough - these colonies could become as usefull (militarily) as provinces on your mainland???

Please enlighten me.......

You can...

If you build your colony into a city, then you can build land and navaly forces there.

If only a minor colony you can't build anything in it but you can base units there, land and naval.

/Greven