• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ozman2

General
4 Badges
Nov 30, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Cold War Extension Project

This thread is to promote and improve the Cold War Tech Tree Extension. It is designed to make a game technologically interesting for the entire time frame of Armageddon, that is up until the mid-60's. When Paradox came out with Doomsday, they added a few techs to get up to 1953. When Armageddon came out, the playable time was extended to December 1963 but no new technologies were added. Although no hot nuclear war happened (thank goodness!) the period was nevertheless a period of great technological advances in naval warfare, rocketry, electronics, nuclear energy use, robotics, computers, etc. This project is an effort to properly reflect these advances in an expanded tech tree. I hope it will help spur the development of a good cold war mod.

For those of you who like playing an Armageddon game up until the 1960s, this will make it more interesting.

Although it is related to the Fatherland Project, the tech tree is designed to be valid for the real cold war (1945-65 segment) and any alternate history cold wars as well (e. g. divided Japan, Japan and Germany have a fallout after winning World War 2, etc)

It is designed to allow you to load up a normal game as early as the 1936 scenario and see how that plays out in the postwar period.

Here is a screenshot of the loadscreen
load1024.png

Alternate loadscreen designed by user 'captain'
load1024alt.png

The night vision technology being researched by Germany
nightvisionsc7.png

Air technology being researched by historic Soviet design teams
sovietairvf5.png

Get the Cold War Extension 0.30 Here
Cold War Extension 0.30 via hotfile

This version now requires compatible with Armageddon 1.3. The Beta 2 update of Armageddon 1.3 is recommended.
Now with Arab-Israeli and Korean War events and more!
Now includes Fatherland scenario (Beta) and 2 other alternate history scenarios.
4 Cold War battlescenarios courtesy of Lt. Hilsdorf
-1947 Kashmir War
-1948 Arab-Israeli War
-1950 Korean War
-1956 Suez Crisis

This is the right place to discuss the technology tree, or to discuss events that happened in the real cold war. To discuss the Fatherland mod (alternate history with Germany victorious) from a political and events standpoint Go Here

Last edited:
Sounds like a worthwhile project.

Can we have some more info...other things that can be researched?.. Are we going to see any new combat doctrines for example (assuming there are any that are applicable).

Also, how about the proper class names for ships, planes etc (if that hasnt been done already)...

Good luck.

HMS Enterprize said:
Sounds like a worthwhile project.

Can we have some more info...other things that can be researched?.. Are we going to see any new combat doctrines for example (assuming there are any that are applicable).

Also, how about the proper class names for ships, planes etc (if that hasnt been done already)...

Good luck.
Check the fatherland thread for some preliminary screenies. Yes it does need some work still. Getting proper ship and plane names is one of those needs. Would you like to help out with that? I tend to accept the names Paradox uses for all models except the latest. For those, they sometimes used 1953-55 names for 1949-1950 technology levels. So help in cleaning that up would definitely be appreciated, and I think that other than play testing is a top priority.

It is important to get proper names for US, Soviet, German, French and British equipment. Most others in the postwar period can use the generic models.

Am presently compiling tech images. 80% of the work involved in that is actually finding the images on the web. Paradox already has a tech image maker, so once you have the image, it's trivial. So if you download the package and look at the texts of all the technologies, you can see what the technologies are. Will gratefully accept all pictures posted here, and you can get yourself a spot in the credits.

Rifleman said:
I just downloaded/installed this, its a good mod. :eek:

Could you try making this work for WiF please?

I think it would work with WIF if you do a modified install. You will need Armageddon (recommend 1.2) and then follow the Armageddon install procedure for WIF. Then:

Extract to a separate folder and then ONLY copy the following folders:

config--copy everything
gfx--copy everything
scenarios--don't copy anything
db/events--only copy secret_weapons.txt, don't copy anything else
db/units--copy everything
db/tech--copy everything

Try this and let me know if you succeed. You will not get any additional scenarios, like cold war but should be able to play from 36 and continue into the cold war period.

Thanks, i'll try that.

Nope.. Its mostly broken, the interface is all messed up, none of my old saves work(I wasn't expecting them to work), and the ALL the research goes slow its taking FOREVER for the basic infantry to get to 20% no matter what tech team I use(I'm playing as Germany), I waited a whole year ingame and it didn't go above 48%..

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, I've been waiting for a mod like this since ARM came out.

I've noticed a few bugs

1.) Semi Elite Tank Destroyer (21220) requires elite tank destroyer (21230), which requires Semi Elite Tank Destroyer.

2.) Modern Main Battle Tank requires a non existent tech (11210), it should require the previous main battle tank (11010) instead.

3.) The 'Anti Ship missile is now available' event lacks event text.

4.) I was never able to research improved Turbo Jet Carrier Air wing. I dunno what the problem was there.

5.) I was never able to research improved anti ship missle. I don't know what the problem was there.

Keep up the good work. Best wishes to you in all of your modding efforts.

danielshannon,
Thank you for the bug report. I will incorporate these fixes in the next patch. I'd like to wait a few days before releasing the patch to see if there are any more boobos reported.
1) For Semi Elite Tank Destroyer the requirement should be:
required = { 11000 11020 11070 }
2) You are correct. The requirement for Modern Main Battle tank should be 11010.
3 and 5) event should read
event = {
id = 8020
random = no
invention = yes

trigger = {
technology = 7260 #ASM
technology = 7270 #SAM
technology = 16000 # semiconductors
NOT = {
is_tech_active = 7300
}
}

name = "EVT_8000_NAME"
desc = "A secret project has borne fruit. Naval contractors and rocket engineers have joined forces, and the project manager has presented

the theoretical results to the General Staff. It is believed that further empirical research can lead to a series of anti-ship missiles, which will extend the

firing range of our cruisers and enable us to challenge enemy battleships."
picture = "scientist"
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME3201A" # OK
command = { type = activate which = 7300 } # Surface-Launched Anti-Ship Missile (SLASM)
command = { type = activate which = 7310 } # Improved ASM
}
}

When copying the above make sure there are no line breaks or extra spaces in the description.

4)event should read
event = {
id = 8002
random = no
invention = yes

trigger = {
technology = 3390
technology = 15500
NOT = {
is_tech_active = 7050
}
}

name = "EVT_8000_NAME"
desc = "EVT_8002_DESC"
picture = "scientist"
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME3201A" # OK
command = { type = activate which = 7050 }# Turbojet Carrier Air Group
command = { type = activate which = 7280 }# Imp. Turbojet Carrier Air Group
}
}
The wrong second technology was activated.

What scenario and years did you play in your trial?

Is there anyway you can combine this with WiFs techtree? I just want the nightvision and the new infantry/motorized/mechanized/Aircraft and Air Carrier units. I'd do it myself but I have no idea how.

Last edited:
nomonhan said:
danielshannon,
What scenario and years did you play in your trial?

I played the 1936 scenario. I edited the misc.txt file to give myself a +99% research bonus for blueprints, and I also removed the negative modifier for researching ahead of time. Additionally, I changed the mean inventions to around 90 a year. In game, I kept giving myself free blueprints. I wanted to check out your tech tree, and that seemed to be the best way to go through the techs relatively quickly.

I noticed another problem. Once I've researched the final level of air transports my saved games crash. I get an error message about the eug having some sort of incorrect line regarding the last type of air transport division. I wish I could be more specific, but I started a new game and lost that autosave.

danielshannon,
well you sure are thorough! I'm guessing that the problem on the air transport is air transport efficiency greater than 100%. There may be some doctrines adding air transport efficiency. So I've removed the line
command = { type = task_efficiency which = air_supply value = 0.8 } for the last transport plane

See if that resolves your problem.
You've of course noticed the lack of tech images. The industry techs at least will now have images. The next update for example will enable you to see this if you go far enough:
moonlandingqe1.png

Rifleman,
If you just want to add a few techs to World in Flames and don't know how to do it yourself then I'd suggest a PM to Fernando Torres with the request, and see if he is agreeable. It's not easy for a beginner to mod a tech tree because about 5 modifications are required for each tech added. In one of my updates I'll include an option to enable install with mods that heavily modify events. It will preserve existing events files but for the extra scenarios ONLY you'll get my events. That's probably two updates away, as I want to get danielshannon's bugs resolved first and add some tech images.

Last edited:
there is something wrong with the last transportplane model not with the airsupply

was about to say the few bugs with the cags and tanks but just saw it was already fixed
beside that everything works very good might be usefull to add to some models what the pre's? are.

Some events doesnt seem to work like when the japs have occupied most of china they just make peace and japan gets nothing, i think that needs a fix too

all the new ship models are nice but with all those nuclear ships have a range of 20-25 thousand but the carrier only has 8000 might be changed to like 25000 to

and one of those nuclear subs has a sub atk of 100 isnt that to strong?:O

just a few little bugs that needs a fix beside that this techtree is awesome.

edit: might add 1 or 2 new garrison models aswel

Last edited:
Jarno,
Thank you for the bug report.
Re: transport plane. It's possible there was a wrong number of parentheses or something in the last model when I release an update try and see if this is fixed. I've removed the air transport efficiency line and that might be enough.
Re: Carrier--Yes that is wrong and will be corrected. The range of all nuclear ships should be "limited only by the food supply on board", not 8000 km per Paradox.
Re: Sub Attack of 100. That is by design, but I'll lower it to 80, as the enemy sub would probably try an evasive maneuver. (There was a World War 2 engagement in which a British sub sank a German U-boat in submerged combat, and with luck the battle might have gone the other way) This is a specifically designed killer sub designed to hunt enemy subs with tactical nuclear weapons--ships which have anti-ship defenses in the 30s and above. Would like to see how this works in combat. Perhaps these ships can be banned by a 'Test Ban Treaty' event. In real life, the US planned a quick attack on the Soviet nuclear missile fleet with conventionally armed attack submarines, in the event of hot war, and constantly tracked the Soviet nuclear fleet with this in mind. I'd really like to see if someone would care to construct a combat situation between a nuclear ballistic missile fleet and a fleet of ordinary nuclear attack subs, and then another test combat between the killer subs and the other two types of ships.
Re: China vs Japan--does the peace event occur in Japanese surrender to the Allies or in mid-war? If it occurs mid-war, that's probably the fault of Paradox's AI. I know the Chinese AI will sometimes offer peace, and if Japan's AI accepts then what you described can happen in normal play. If it occurs in the context of Japan surrendering to the USA and Manchukuo (Pu Yi defects) then it is part of the mod and may either be by design or a bug. In that case I need more information

HMS Enterprize and everyone else:
Here's a list of Nuclear Sub Class names
Model;Type;Name;Nationality;Model Year;Actual Keel Laid
29_0;Nuclear Attack Sub;Nautilus Class;USA;51;51
29_1;Nuclear Attack Sub;Skipjack Class;USA;57;57
29_2;Nuclear Attack Sub;Thresher/Permit Class;USA;60;60
29_3;Deep Water Sub;Titanium Hull Type;USA;65;NA
29_4;Ballistic Missile Sub;George Washington Class;USA;56;56
29_5;Ballistic Missile Sub;Ethan Allen Class;USA;59;59
29_6;Adv Killer Sub;Sturgeon Class;USA;63;63
29_0;Nuclear Attack Sub;Proj 627-'November' Class;SOV;51;55
29_1;Nuclear Attack Sub;Proj 659-'Echo 1' Class;SOV;57;57
29_2;Nuclear Attack Sub;Proj 675-'Echo 2' Class;SOV;60;62
29_3;Deep Water Sub;Proj 705-'Lira' Class;SOV;65;65
29_4;Ballistic Missile Sub;Proj 658-'Hotel' Class;SOV;56;58
29_5;Ballistic Missile Sub;Proj 667-'Yankee' Class;SOV;59;64
29_6;Adv Killer Sub;Proj 671-'Victor' Class;SOV;63;65
29_0;Nuclear Attack Sub;Vulcan Type;ENG;51;NA
29_1;Nuclear Attack Sub;Dreadnought Class;ENG;57;59
29_2;Nuclear Attack Sub;Valiant Class;ENG;60;63
29_3;Deep Water Sub;Titanium Hull Type;ENG;65;NA
29_4;Ballistic Missile Sub;Polaris Type;ENG;56;NA
29_5;Ballistic Missile Sub;Resolution Class;ENG;59;64
29_6;Adv Killer Sub;Hunter Killer Type;ENG;63;NA
Everybody please help out with the names of planes and ships. I recommend www.globalsecurity.org as a primary site and wikipedia as a backup site for information. With your help the model list can be done more quickly.
"Type" refers to hypothetical ships never built
For the British ships 'Vulcan' was the name of their shore test facility for nuclear sub development. By the time the British got nuclear subs, they used USA Skipjack technology which is why Dreadnought Class (actually a single ship) is a Skipjack equivalent. Polaris simply refers to the missile carried. In real life the US and UK wanted the missile to fit either the US or UK's ships.
By 'deep water sub' I mean one with a crush depth of over 1000 meters. Most modern subs had a 200-500 meter rating, and WW2 subs were rated 100-300 meters crush depth.

Plans for update:
1) Fix for Jarno's and danielshannon's bugs reported. There's also one I just caught where the prerequisite for Advanced Nuclear Missile Sub is the basic nuclear sub. It should be the preceding model. Fixes for any other bugs reported by the time I release an update.
2) Pictures for all industrial techs
3) Pictures for secret weapons technologies
4) Names for nuclear subs as per above--will use above list if nobody suggests improvements or corrections.
5) Event transparency to mods enabling use with almost all mods.
6) Improvements in the starting setup of the supplied 44 scenario if time permits

Does anyone care to suggest names for hypothetical German nuclear subs? I was thinking of something like 'AU Type I', etc.

Last edited:
In case of the Japan-China Peace, there is missing an event called "Fate of China". sometimes they make peace, sometimes the game crashes...

as I have seen, did you add CCIP Event files?( I can´t remember to have put them by myself) if yes, you forgot to write them in the event.txt. file. this applies also for some surrender events text you have written...

edit: it seems that you need "Improved Rocket Interceptor" to enable "Practical Turbojet Engine", but I can research this without researching Improved Rocket Interceptor...

Inner Circle
--The mod is semi-transparent to what you have on your files right now. I have included all the relevant file references in the 44 and 45 scenarios packaged. I purposely did NOT supply an events.txt file to see how this mod would work with other installations. So if you started a scenario other than my packaged 44 and 45 scenarios you would only get the file references you have previously installed. If you had previously installed New Revolters it would work as designed. In my next release of BOTH New Revolters and the Tech Tree Mod I will make the transparency complete. Thanks for your report.

Improved Rocket Interceptor is NOT required to research Practical Turbojet Engine. It just gives a blueprint to make the research go faster. I did this as a replacement for the second level rocket Interceptor. It is still a waste of time to research Rocket Interceptors since by the time you research both levels of Rocket Interceptor you could have gotten Practical Turbojet Engine even without the blueprint.

Rifleman,
I've looked over the World in Flames Mod and I don't see why it shouldn't work but will take your word that it doesn't work together. The next version should work with other mods with the caution that it will overwrite anything the other mod does with the tech tree or misc.txt.

maybe u can use german ww2 officier names for ship and sub classes,
like Manstein or Rommel.

When installing new revolters do i have to instal it first then the techtree or does it not matter?