• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent, you have managed to secure yourself without being killed.

516 - 519
The War for Thracia

Only a single ship contested Colchian control of Danubii Ostia, which was quickly defeated. A landing was inevitable.

TheBattleofDanubiiOstia.jpg

Although enemy forces were far more diverse, the Colchian soldiers had been tested in the last gruelling war, and were far more experienced and hardened.

TheBattleofThracia.jpg

However, despite the victory, the diversity of the oppoition took a high toll upon Colchian forces.

TheBattleofThracia-1.jpg

Rebels caused some stir during the siege of Thracia, but they were quickly crushed.

TheSecondBattleofThracia.jpg

With the city in the final stages of destruction, enemy forces desperately attempted to wrest control of the province from Colchian hands. They were repelled with little trouble.

TheSiegeofThracia.jpg

Soon, the capital was captured and resistance was surpressed. Terms were sent to the enemy, which were eagerly accepted. The forces roaming the barbarian lands to the north were finally allowed into Thracia, and the war was complete.

TheSiegeofThraciaResults.jpg

Victory-1.jpg

Little occured during the years that followed. Bosporan nationalism in Phanagoria finally faded;

PHANAGORIA-1.jpg

The Gods blessed the populace and Colchian trade;

BLESSING.jpg

TRADEandstuff.jpg

And some upstart rebellions were quickly brought to an end.

Rebels.jpg

However trouble, as ever, was brewing upon the horizon.​

NexttimeRenameasnecessary3.png

Green - Colchis
Purple - Pontus
Light Grey - Rhoxolani

(Tylis not shown)​

---

A short update because nothing much happened for several years following the last war, largely because of BB and economic ruin. :D

Another update will be added tomorrow.

comagoosie: Thanks. :D (And another congratulations on the award!)

stnylan: I fear I may actually be less secure, thanks to the border with the SE...

Lord-Robertus: We shall see. ;)

Enewald: My wars are never disasters. :mad:

They're major disasters. :p

Thanks for the comments, and there's another update tomorrow.

sometimes you do just have to let the BB reduce.

A quick note....

This AAR, as with my Swedish AAR, could be on hold for a little while thanks to my laptop succumbing to some unknown problem. While it's being repaired I can't really access the screenshots and what not so I'm stuck at the moment. Neither this or my Swedish AAR are abandoned, mark my words, but the laptop will need to be fixed before I can continue.

Okay, good news and bad news.

My laptop has been fixed, but unfortunately the solution required quite the sacrifice. Thanks to a complete system overhaul leaving me with only the files I had when the laptop was first bought (I forget what you call it) all my other files have been lost. So the precautions I made with the savegame and screenshots for the AAR were for nothing, as everything is gone.

Hope is not lost, however. I shall be piecing together exactly where I was at in the game and getting myself to that stage so I can carry on with the AAR. It'll just be a fair time before another update is all.

Well at least your laptop pretty much came unscuffed. I'm glad you're not quitting the AAR now. It would be too much of a shame to let this AAR go, too many of us have enjoyed it. :)

Congratulations, Jaspume, on your AARLand Choice Award!

Also, sorry to hear about your computer issues. Bravo for pressing forward to continue the AAR anyway! That takes special commitment.

Great work in the Black Sea competition! I'm anxious to see where it goes from here.

Rensslaer

A couple of long holidays have not been kind to either of my AAR's; for that I apologise. But I do have good news, after rooting around it turns out I'd miraculously had some foresight and managed to store away my saves on a different computer as I played.

This means I won't have to do any work to restore the AAR, except play on again. :cool:

UtahJazz: Thanks! The computer problems were unfortunate, but at least I can carry on unhindered again.

Eber: Thanks. :) Apologies for the wait, but it should be going on full steam now.

Rensslaer: Thank you! A very belated congrats to you too, I hadn't realised I'd won anything until recently thanks to my holidays. :eek:o It's certainly an honour to have drawn with you. :)

As for what's next? Well, the Seleucid's aren't too happy about my recent wars...

Berrie: Thanks. :)

Expect new updates later today. :)

Marvellous news indeed! I only happened upon this AAR once it was already declared practically dead, so it's a joy to hear that it will continue. I have long had a weak spot for the oriental realms around the Black Sea, so Colchis strikes my interest. Even though you have dealt rather unkindly with my all-timefavourites, the Pontian. :(

And after a busy and hectic week, here I am. Sorry about that, now where was I?

---

529 - 534

From 524 to 529, little occured in the Colchian realm. However, elsewhere there was turmoil.

The Romans were facing times of great unrest as their capital and namesake was captured and razed by rebels, surging from the city into neighbouring provinces. A region to the north had also succumbed to Barbarian control and formed a new nation.

rome_459.jpg

Armenia along with their Parthian and Iberian allies had scored a significant victory over the Seleucid Empire, Armenia's borders expanding almost twofold. Colchians had celebrated the defeat of the overshadowing empire, but the now prosperous Armenia would soon show it's true, and, naturally, ugly colours.

Barbarians in Panticapaeum were, after several bloody engagements, defeated and rebellions in the newly claimed provinces were put down. Despite a catastrophe at a major port on the Black Sea, Colchis expanded and thrived economically during the period of peace.

rome_461.jpg

Despite firm opposition politically, Nambed Menid ordered his generals to disband the army, creating a new one from scratch. The existing army was experienced, but it was no exhausted and battleworn from the trying years of the last war. Faced with slow reinforcement from a dwindling populace, it was more of a burden than a guardian.

The new army, built around cores of heavy infantry and supported by rows of archers, was finally completed in 532. Numbering 6,000 men, it was all Colchis could muster. Neighbouring nations, particularly Armenia, outnumbered Colchian forces significantly, but there was little Nambed could do to remedy this.

It's first great test was against the barbarian hordes of Zinchi, an uncolonised province north of the capital. Despite several engagements from both Iberian and Colchian forces, the horde took many lives before finally retreating to the wilderness. Battered and tired, the new Colchian army retreated to Phasis, allowing colonists to flow to the north and found a new colony; Zinchi.

rome_466.jpg

rome_475.jpg

The governor of Soani, a province recently besieged by barbarians and newly liberated from their control, had managed to gain a great deal of the populace's trust. He was eyed as a possible successor to Nambed, although his newly gained support from the public quickly fell as he rose taxes and took a significant amount for himself. Nambed was called upon to reprimand the governor, but with the recent war still having a profound effect on Colchian coffers, he decided to turn a blind eye providing the governor gave a significant amount to the treasury.

rome_480.jpg

This attitude displeased many of Nambed's supporters.

rome_485.jpg

rome_487.jpg

After several years of vicious barbarian incursions, the Colchian military had seen better days. Unfortunately for Nambed, things were about to get far worse.

rome_493.jpg

Seeing weakness in it's neighbour, the newly boosted Armenia announced it's hostile intentions on the 7th February 533, bringing both Parthia and the friendly Iberia to clash with Colchis as well.

Iberian forces originally stationed in Soani, supposedly to aid Colchian soldiers in staving off barbarians, used the element of surprise to pounce upon Colchians as they slept.The exhausted troops lost a large number of men before they retreated toward Zinchi, pursued by the Iberians. With new reinforcements, the army was cut down.

rome_500.jpg

Although Rhoxolani had agreed to aid Colchis, it was far too little too late. An optimistic Peucestas Arid managed to gather 2,000 cavalry to the Colchian cause, aiding Rhoxolani in breaking the siege of the capital, but the onslaught became too great as yet another power saw the distress in the area and pounced upon the nation.

rome_508.jpg

With both Soani and Trapezus under enemy control, and the capital soon to follow, Nambed bit his tongue and sent forth a messenger to enemy forces.

rome_526.jpg

It was Nambed's hope that the nation could recover, gathering power from the west through colonisation and either breaking free of Armenian control, or gaining territory in the inevitable Seleucid retaliation to Armenia's increasing control over the east. He also hoped to cede the last Pontic territory to the Egyptians; hopefully this would fuel another war between the Seleucid's and Egypt.

Dark days faced the nation, but the survival of Colchis had still been ensured. Where would the future lead?

And finally, the state of the world in 534:

rome_map_1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I was going to congratulate you on doing so well....but this does look like the beginning of a death spiral. I hope not.

Is there any way to raise relations or otherwise convince your neighbors to leave you alone? It looks like Colchis needs a decade or so of peace to rebuild.