• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King of Men

Resident Opportunist
83 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
ynglingasaga.wordpress.com
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Does the code for this exist anywhere, and is it allowed to download and modify it? The reason I ask is that, as you can see in my sig, I am myself working on a CK to EU2 converter (which indeed is basically finished). I am currently updating the data files so it can deal with MYmap. When this is done, I will want to convert my new MYmap games to Vicky; and for that, well, I'd just feel a lot better if I had the source code available for debugging.

King of Men said:
Does the code for this exist anywhere, and is it allowed to download and modify it? The reason I ask is that, as you can see in my sig, I am myself working on a CK to EU2 converter (which indeed is basically finished). I am currently updating the data files so it can deal with MYmap. When this is done, I will want to convert my new MYmap games to Vicky; and for that, well, I'd just feel a lot better if I had the source code available for debugging.
I can assure you 100% that this would never happen under any curcumstance.

King of Men said:
OK; can I ask why not? Legal issues? :confused:
Exactly true. Think about it, you are a software company and the code is your wares.

Would it make sense to give you opponents your only source of income?

I thought EU2Vic was a community project, started by Chaingun(?) and continued by MontyP(?) (not sure who exactly has been involved at various stages, tho'). I.e. I'd think it to be an open-source project?

Precisely. It is not official Paradox code, after all - it is the personal property of whoever wrote it.

I Have A Dream -

that some day, there is a service that makes it easy to collaborate on Paradox-related coding projects.

Perhaps when I get my own hosted server, with something like Subversion available to those who would like to use it :)

In one of the other threads in this section of the forums, someone states that MontyP was feeling unappreciated, and wouldn't release the code. You might try emailing him again, perhaps in concert with that other person. I can tell you that there is enough interest, if he's willing to throw in again.

My Dream was more of the generic kind :)

Nah, I don't want to hassle MontyP; if he has decided to not share the code, it's his decision, and if he changes it, I'm sure he'll let us know.

That said, I thinks it's sad he feels unappreciated, for it is a tremendous job he has done; I've touched in on similar things to what he has done in my own "pet projects", and I have quite a lot of respect for what he has put together and the effort he has made in doing so (goes for the others working on this as well :))

MontyP told me that he considered the forums as kind of an ended chapter in his life, which sounds pretty final to me. :)

HOWEVER, I have an almost-working converter that I have done. It's not nearly as refined as MontyP's, but with the framework that I have, I think it won't be terribly hard (except for the pop-making). I would gladly share it, but my University of Oklahoma web account doesn't seem to be working. :(

By all means, if it has something to with Victoria, feel free to upload it to VickyWiki; it has room for any and all things that can be of help to Vicky-players :)

I appreciate the offer, rafiki, but in its current state it would only be of use to programmers. If you had Subversion, on the other hand... :)

Usually, I have a Subversion server running, but it seems my server has been fubar'ed a bit, so it's temporarily unavailable.

I do have hopes of one day providing a general Subversion service to Paradox-related projects, but that's a bit down the road for the time being :)

rafiki said:
I Have A Dream -

that some day, there is a service that makes it easy to collaborate on Paradox-related coding projects.

Perhaps when I get my own hosted server, with something like Subversion available to those who would like to use it :)

I think that what is really needed is a converter working along the same line as all Paradox-related stuff does: compleatly moddable. We need some "language" in which to express how one save-file can be converted to another, and then just a simple program that takes a save-file and a text-file of conversion rules and outputs a new save-file for the next game.

I don't think it would be all that hard to code, and it would make the conversion tools moddable.

Last edited:
Jienz said:
I think that what is really needed is a converter working along the same line as all Paradox-related stuff does: compleatly moddable. We need some "language" in which to express how one save-file can be converted to another, and then just a simple program that takes a save-file and a text-file of conversion rules and outputs a new save-file for the next game.

I don't think it would be all that hard to code, and it would make the conversion tools moddable.
I'm not quite sure I understand.... You want to come up with an entirely new "language" just for conversions? Can you elaborate further?

I already have a Java library that I wrote which I have used for several Paradox-related programs (which I can't release because my web account isn't working very well). It reads and parses .eug files (which actually includes event files, too). I use this library for the EU2->Victoria converter that I'm working on. Is that similar to what you're talking about?

MichaelM said:
I'm not quite sure I understand.... You want to come up with an entirely new "language" just for conversions? Can you elaborate further?

I already have a Java library that I wrote which I have used for several Paradox-related programs (which I can't release because my web account isn't working very well). It reads and parses .eug files (which actually includes event files, too). I use this library for the EU2->Victoria converter that I'm working on. Is that similar to what you're talking about?

I was thinking more on the lines of a scripting language for converting between games. The basic idea would be that you don't have to be a programmer to write a converter, simply state how you want the actual conversion to be made, and let the program handle the rest.

It's all very well that you are working on a converter, but for converters to really evolve and excell, we need to make them available to the modding community.

The "language" I'm talking about would be statements about how elements in one game (e.g. factories in Vicky states) converts to elements in another game (e.g. IC in HoI2 provinces).

Personally I'm not very happy with the Paradox-converters available (CK-EU2, V:R-HoIDD), and, as you have pointer out, something has to be done to bridge the EU2-Vicky gap. I don't think Paradox makes that much of an effort when writing their converters, so I figured it's up to the community. Seeing as none of us have that much spare time, the converter has to be easily and incremently improvable, so every modder out there can test thei ideas, and in the end we will have a core that most people agree on, and a gazillion "personal versions" that makes everybody happy, since anyone will have a decent converter and the ones who wish will have the converter of their dreams.

I do not think what you are suggesting is easy at all. At most, you might be able to make some parts of the converter moddable, as indeed my CK converter does.