• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It has been a while since I last wrote a word of the week, but as we are about to head to summer vacation I thought it would be good to give you guys a heads up that we'll be off the grid for a month. Worry not, we are still going to add more content and new features to the game and will be listening to your input on what would be the most interesting theme for a new expansion. So any hopes and dreams for future developments are still more than welcome! We'll just get back to it after the vacation :)

Mass Transit expansion was released in May and it seems that you guys really liked it! We have received some ideas and suggestions for features that already exist in the game and we thought that improving the communication on what an update brings to the game was needed. You might have already noticed the “What’s new” window that appears with a major update. The intention is to notify you if the game has updated with new content. The window informs you on what is new and how it works in a nutshell. It won’t advertise new features in a DLC you don’t have, but mention things that have been updated for free or are in a DLC pack you have purchased. Any feedback on this feature is highly appreciated! Is it informative? Needed? A waste of time? Awesome?

I shall continue these updates in mid-August and it's going to be very exciting as we have some cool content that we have been working on. If I say anything more Paradox will hunt me down and no remote cabin in the Finnish woods will be far enough to hide in. However I shall now take my four weeks of vacation for horsing around and enjoying the possibility of decent weather (I want to believe).

Have a great July :D

Cheers,
Mariina

I'm begging for a better bridge expansion, a DLC like what you did with the Pearls from the East would be great. I think each road should spawn a different bridge (including the two lane roads) that get nicer based on type of road. Example: A regular road makes a truss bridge or simple type of bridge and a tree lined road creates the prettiest bridge. Continue this same idea to the avenue bridges and then highways make better suspension bridges as the lanes increase. And maybe add a large highway bridge that brings two multiple highway lanes together like the Golden Gate, Sydney Harbour Bridge or perhaps like that Millau Viaduct one in France. This way you only need one bridge to cross a river...you know...like in real life!
Hi, All I agree with this post because I love to play the city skylines, I really like the gameplay. Yes adding a different type of bridges will increase the design level and varieties of cities. what I like to add into the same thread what about different types of industries from low tech to very high tech to accommodate all the different types of the citizen living in the city. Provide a wide range of shops from fast food, healthy and nutritional supermarkets to small grocery shop. Provide an option that mayors can add several solar panels on top of the roof to produce energy which the surplus can be sold back to the energy grid. Add options that we can build futuristic cities according to the plans of major corporation to see that their theory will work for example Elon musk Hyperloop, roof solar panels, energy battery, big grid of gigawatt stations, clean the sea ocean, electric cars, bikes, planes, train, basically everything that use petrol and diesel, we can build major corporations that can shape the game play and more types of resources.

How about allowing modders to use the features used by vanilla assets?

Submeshes for vehicles and buildings. Right now it's not natively possible to create your own sewage outflow water submesh for example. Or when making a helicopter or a blimp, you have to maneuver your way around the vanilla rotors, which are submeshes.

Accessing shader vectors, like AnimUV, Prop Rotating or Wind Turbine parameters and saving them in the asset. Right now I had to make a mod/script to be able to save and load those parameters, there are probably a lot of other shader parameters that could be useful for modders to change.

Also I'm forever begging for a way to increase "Custom/Props/Decal/Blend" shader render/fade distance, since it seems to be hardcoded into the shader, none of the usual lod/render distance parameters affect it. This must be one of the highest reward / lowest effort things that you can do, and a lot of people use decals and would like to see them from a reasonable distance, please, we need a way to mod this. :/ I've spent hours messing with every vector and float on this shader and can't figure it out, if only a dev could point us in the right direction...

For the future it would be nice with a drawing overlay/tool where you could sketch out the layout for your city without spending money.

Interesting idea. I am wondering though that doesn't the unlimited money mod allow this kind of free drawing and then with the limited money it's part of the challenge?

I don't think actually building (and re-doing, and re-doing) your city counts as "sketching" or "drawing".

I think "drawing" in this instance could be more like drawing purple lines on the ground - to plan instead of building. This would allow you to pre-plan the grand structure of large parts of your city before you build them (and spend money). It could also be used to mark reserved spaces for future infrastructure such as highways or train tracks.

You'd still have to build all the actual things by hand - the planning overlay would just be a visual aid.

Obviously there'd be a toggle for the visibility of the planning overlay.