• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi everybody!

It has been too long since the last time we wrote a CO word of the week or a developer diary. Our CEO Mariina has been really busy lately with some boring business stuff so I’ll write the company greetings this time. I am Emmi and I work at Colossal Order as a Producer. I try to read and write to the forums as much as possible and I specially keep an eye on bugs that have slipped through QA but you have noticed. We’ve been fixing quite a few bugs and I think a bunch of fixes are still coming with future patches. I am also responsible for collecting your excellent ideas to our “wishlist”. Feel free to pin me to bug reports and suggestions!

On May and June, we’ve been caught up with Mass Transit fixes and working on something new for Cities: Skylines. I am afraid I’m not allowed to tell more about it yet though :(

Other news is that Finnish summer has been so warm and sunny this year (not!) that even our most famous forecaster can’t handle it:

Despite the weather, while working on Colossal Order I have also finalised my studies (finally…) at the university. Like many of our employees, I have an engineering background. I have a Bachelor's degree in Information Technology and now I graduated as Master of Science (tech) from the department of Industrial and Information Management. Last summer I posted a questioner about gaming communities and community management to the Paradox forums and Reddit to get some data for my thesis. I was aiming to get my thesis done by the end of the year but it took a bit longer as I was busy with work and the horses.

The thesis is now public and can be found here: http://URN.fi/URN:NBN:fi:tty-201705261528

The thesis was not made specially from the Colossal Order’s point of view, but was limited to PC games to keep the scope reasonable. The goal of the study was to understand the potential and roles game communities have, and the effects community management has on them.

The study mainly confirmed my feelings about gaming communities. Active communication between the professional developers and gaming community can motivate the members share knowledge and help to build trust. A moderation and clear rules are valued and toxic behaviour can paralyse the community. Many open answers indicated that a good community is helpful and welcoming to beginners and not mean. I think this is something we all should consider when writing to online forums or giving feedback to others in online games ;)

Cheers,

Emmi

congratulations on the Masters, i skim read the dissertation last night. PhD next? i can confirm being able to call yourself Dr is pretty cool :)

"It's been a long time. How have you been?"
Congrats on your Master's Degree ;)
Other news is that Finnish summer has been so warm and sunny this year (not!)
Well, that's better than this
upload_2017-6-27_11-53-27.png

Please... Industrial Dlc - improved resource management and everything that entails

Boats that move on the water (fishing boats pleasure boats, generally small boats, not ferries and cruise ships).

Please... Industrial Dlc - improved resource management and everything that entails

Boats that move on the water (fishing boats pleasure boats, generally small boats, not ferries and cruise ships).

Yes, this is the next must-to-have-DLC