• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fantastic! And funny. I see you like playing ahistorican and producing bizarre results. In my present game as Italy I have annexed UK, half Spain, Yougoslavia and puppeted many countries, Rumania, Hungary, Greece, Bhutan, Nepal, Denmark, Norway, Sweden... Germany has invaded Canada so the USA has declared war to us. There is terrible fight already in American soil... I will make some funny aars of my games once 1.3 arrives. At the moment I play just to learn the many details of the game.

I see you like playing ahistorican and producing bizarre results.
That's the general idea. :D

In my present game as Italy I have annexed UK, half Spain, Yougoslavia and puppeted many countries, Rumania, Hungary, Greece, Bhutan, Nepal, Denmark, Norway, Sweden... Germany has invaded Canada so the USA has declared war to us. There is terrible fight already in American soil... I will make some funny aars of my games once 1.3 arrives. At the moment I play just to learn the many details of the game.
Sounds interesting... Looking forward to aar!

Advance

The offensive continued. After a great success at Brugge, Soviet army made a fast maneuver, encircling several French and Belgian divisions on the coast. While the battle around Bruxelles was still raging, Soviet troops advanced all along the northern front. Especially fierce battle developed at the eastern flank, where Soviet troops, in large pincer movement, destroyed a number of enemy divisions. In the rear, several pockets left during the initial advance were eliminated.

After days of heavy resistance, Bruxelles finally fell. That opened the way to south, to achieve the main objective.

brisel.jpg

At the center, elements of 3rd Army Group launched an offensive. After a brief combat with entrenched defenders, 20 armored and motorized divisions punched through the line and rushed to southwest. Infantry dragged along to fill the gaps. The advance was going extremely well, ahead of schedule, until the left flank met a very strong resistance around the city of Ulm. The right flank, who proceeded with advance was suddenly faced with a strong counteroffensive. With a help of strong air forces, Soviet troops managed to avoid a disaster. Ulm, however, is still holding.

The offensive in Italy has definitely failed. Soviet troops dug-in, awaiting for supplies. Perhaps reducing a number of troops will improve the situation. In order to link with troops in Italy, 13th Army launched an offensive through Austria.

operationsjuly.jpg

Operations in July

With the war in the West going well, I've decided to deploy some troops to Turkey, and to attack the Allies in Middle East, eventually reaching North Africa.

I consider putting my Baltic fleet to a serious test; after British landings on Greenland, there is a serious threat to Island. To prevent it, I may send one corps to defend it. The final decision has not yet been made.

sovietunioncopy.jpg

Just two General questions; is the US in the Allies and have you encountered as much resistance as expected?

No, US are not in the Allies. Last time I checked, they were pretty close to Allies, but drifting to Comintern. :rofl: Canada joined recently.

To be honest, I expected a bit more resistance. But it's not over yet :D

You might want some Troop Planes to help with your supply problems!

I have some in production, will be ready soon.

General question - apart from the ports (ie securing a physical supply line) are you having much of a problem with formations running out of supply?

I have some supply problem in south Germany, which is supplied through the ports in the north. Troops at north, supplied through the same ports, receive their supply regularly.

The lack of supplies is a big issue in Italy, as expected, since the supply lines goes through a puppet. Unfortunately, convoys from Russia can't reach Italian ports, as I hoped they would.

I have no problems elsewhere.

The lack of supplies is a big issue in Italy, as expected, since the supply lines goes through a puppet. Unfortunately, convoys from Russia can't reach Italian ports, as I hoped they would.

I have no problems elsewhere.

It's because the Brits closed Gibraltar... you could try to capture a non-puppet port in the Mediterranean... it's too bad you puppeted Turkey because that would have solved your problem!

It's because the Brits closed Gibraltar... you could try to capture a non-puppet port in the Mediterranean...

I was actually hoping that my supply convoys will be coming from the Black sea, but they dont. Perhaps the Italian owned islands in Aegean Sea are blocking them.

Now I'm trying to open the route by invading these island, but I've encountered an unexpected problem - for some reason, my fleet can't move through the Aegean Sea. I've created a thread in HOI3 forum, with detailed explanation of the problem. If anyone knows why, please say so. The outcome of Italian campaign may depend on it. :D

it's too bad you puppeted Turkey because that would have solved your problem!
It's true that all the puppets are causing most of the supply problems. Actually, I inherited the situation, the puppets were created while Soviet Union was under AI control. :D

I was actually hoping that my supply convoys will be coming from the Black sea, but they dont. Perhaps the Italian owned islands in Aegean Sea are blocking them.

Now I'm trying to open the route by invading these island, but I've encountered an unexpected problem - for some reason, my fleet can't move through the Aegean Sea. I've created a thread in HOI3 forum, with detailed explanation of the problem. If anyone knows why, please say so. The outcome of Italian campaign may depend on it. :D

Hi, it might be something to do with Turkey - is that still neutral? I had this pre-Winter War when I couldn't get the Soviet Baltic Fleet to leave Leningrad as in someway the sea provinces bordering Finland were 'neutral' so I couldn't enter them.

Hi, it might be something to do with Turkey - is that still neutral? I had this pre-Winter War when I couldn't get the Soviet Baltic Fleet to leave Leningrad as in someway the sea provinces bordering Finland were 'neutral' so I couldn't enter them.

No, Turkey and Greece are my puppets. Italy, who's holding the island in that sea is at war with me.

Convoys through the Black Sea are bugged -- actually it's the Istanbul sea zone that's bugged in general. In order to pass it, you have to move to the sea zone first and then move past the sea zone to where you want to go. Doesn't matter if it's neutral or under your control either, and that's what interferes with the convoys since the route check algorithm for them uses the same logic as the naval unit route check.

Convoys through the Black Sea are bugged -- actually it's the Istanbul sea zone that's bugged in general. In order to pass it, you have to move to the sea zone first and then move past the sea zone to where you want to go. Doesn't matter if it's neutral or under your control either, and that's what interferes with the convoys since the route check algorithm for them uses the same logic as the naval unit route check.

Hope it will be fixed in 1.3...

Breaking the line

North

After the fall of Bruxelles, I thought that there's nothing left to stop the advance of my armored forces. I was soon proven wrong. After they have been defeated, Belgian and French forces regrouped and formed a solid line, stretching the Atlantic cost to the Maginot line, linking with already established front. My forces gathered around the towns of Longuyon and Montmedy, located about 150 km southeast from Bruxelles, in order to force their way through. The resistance the Soviet troops encountered was much stiffer than expected, and only after weaks of heavy fighting they managed to break the line on right flank. Encircled, enemy troops withdrew also on left flank, and the forces of 8th and 11th Army poured through the gap.

Center

At the center, in South Germany, Soviet troops finally won the battle of Ulm. But the deeper they penetrated into enemy territory, the harder it got. The advance slowed to a crawl. Ehingen, Stockach and Konstanz, places that most of the Soviet soldiers probably never heard of before, marked some of the toughest battles of the war. After many hardships, 15th and 18th Army reached Swiss border, and proceeded west, along the Rhine.

South

In Italy, withdrawing the 19th Army from the front line eliminated some supply problem, proving that my logistic plan for offensive was faulty. Freshly supplied, my forces renewed the offensive and reached Venice, capturing it after a few days of combat. The Allied counteroffensive was successfully repulsed. At the same time, Soviet troops advanced through Austria and linked with the 3rd Army coming from north, trapping some 5 enemy divisions. In spite of being cut off, they offered a strong resistance but were eventually destroyed.

Air and naval operations

After British landed on Greenland, I sent an infantry corps to prevent them doing the same on Island. Baltic Fleet reached Island undetected, but unfortunately, British troops already landed two divisions and captured Reykjavik. My troops landed east of the city and attacked, with the priority to capture the port before running out of supplies in prolonged combat. The battle lasted 9 days and Island was liberated.

Trying to break into the Mediterranean, the Black Sea Fleet met with Italian fleet east of Istanbul. After a short exchange of fire, Italians disengaged, loosing one destroyer flotilla. Unfortunately, later we lost contact with several submarines operating in that region. They are presumed lost with all hands.

The Allies launched a massive air raids against my ports in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Yugoslavia. The harbor facilities in Split was heavily damaged. In the north, where my defense was much harder due to the importance of these ports, only Kiel sustained some minor damage.

sovietunion.jpg

Looks like the Soviet military capability is not as good as people expected it to be.

Hehe, progress is slowing down after some overkill against weak states. Nevertheless, once all those subsidiary armies are on the main front I expect you'll begin pushing harder. ;)

Closing the trap

Advance to Switzerland

Advancing along the Rhine, my troops reached the spot where Maginot line connects to the Swiss fortifications, around Mulhouse, Belfort and Aarau. Since there was no way around it, I had to attack head on against the forts. First, I tried to find a weak spot in Maginot line. There wasn't any, my casualties mounted and I had to cancel the attack and dig-in. Expecting a Swiss border to be a bit softer, I launched a massive attack at Aarau. Attacks followed one after another, but the result was always the same - breakthrough was not achieved.

In the meantime, my forces on the north continued to advance southeast, after a successful breakthrough, only to bump into another strong enemy defensive line around Vittel and Mirecourt. Right Soviet flank managed to break through, but left flank was held at Mirecourt for another five days. Finaly, there was a decisive break-through. With only a sporadic resistance, my troups reached Bases (Switzerland) within 2 weeks. Attacked from the back, French troops routed and we broke the line at Mulhouse. Soviet forces linked, achieving their primary objective. The trap was closed, with more than 30 enemy divisions inside!

The French launched counteroffensives in two places, almost succeeding to break out, but they failed. A few days before my troops met, I've started an offensive all around the pocket.

northg.jpg

Italy

In Italy, my troops launched an offensive all along the front line, with the objective to encircle large number of enemy troops in the north of the country. The offensive succeeded, trapping a lot of Italian and French troops, but they managed to break through 10 days latter. Soviet troops are about to close the gap once more, but most of the enemy troops already escaped.

south.jpg

Far East

Soviet troops recently started a limited attack in Manchukuo. Facing only a soft resistance, it developed into a full scale offensive, with the objective of reaching Korean border and some strategic positions in the south. After initial success, the offensive lost its momentum, but will regain the strength if Soviet troops manage to encircle enemy troops at the north.

manchukuo.jpg

Other fronts

After Island was liberated, two Soviet divisions landed at Greenland to drive away the British. In the meantime, British tried another amphibious assault against Island. The assault failed, and most of the invasion fleet (two light cruisers and five transport ships) was sunk.

There was another naval battle in Aegean Sea, where the Italians lost heavy cruiser Zara.
Soviet submarines operating in Mediterranean suffered some heavy losses, and decision was made to pull them back in order to prevent more casualties.

In Central Asia, British troops were trying for months to push through from India into Soviet territory. They finally gathered superior forces and break through the lines. Soviet troops withdraw to a better defensive positions, but were overrun again. 28th army is sent from Europe to help. Hopefully it will be there before the British cut the main supply line to Far East.

sovietunionsep42.jpg