• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

classl3ss

Second Lieutenant
43 Badges
Jan 24, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
What are folks thinking for their clan pick on their first run through? Why do you think that will be your pick?

I am thinking that I will pick Toreador or Malkavian. The Toreador have always been a favorite of mine, with the smooth and unsettling power of presence. There is such a dark part of the human experience to explore by making people want to be and do what you desire them to do and want.

The Malkavians are also fascinating, but I think I might want to play them first because of the effects of the Malkavian psychosis on gameplay. Prior to knowing anything about what will happen in the narrative, it could be fascinating to try to unpack the visions the PC receives.

Tremere, I love playing the mage and I always go mage first. As for a second playthrough, it would probably be Malkavian because that is probably going to be the clan that plays the most differently to the others, especially considering we don't have Nosferatu at launch at least.

It will depend heavily on the manner in which we choose our clans in-game, but I am leaning heavily towards Toreador (I really enjoyed by Bloodlines 1 run-through with that clan). Bit of a shame they didn't retain their Bloodlines 1 bane though!

I'm on the same boat as you OP.

I don't think the Malkavian's insight is too much of a problem if the person doesn't know whom or what the whispers are referring to, as well as the context of the warning.

Toreadors are interesting in the sense they have the easiest of times manipulating mortal's emotions without "hardwiring" them as Dominate does.

Though I may as well just play a mix of both - a charming Malkavian who is attached to their humanity, not because they want to be "good" but because it brings them a sense of nostalgia and closeness to that which they lost.

Last edited:
Malkavian, without a second thought. If Malkavians weren’t in the game I’d probably lean towards Tremere, but there’s no way I’m not playing my favourite clan. Hopefully the voices in my head are cryptic enough so as not to spoil any major plot points. The best part of Malkavians from the first game was being aware of innocuous but interesting things, like VVs real name being Susan.

I dont wish to overtheorize first gameplay ... if i get to situation, where i will choose from all 5 clans ... i will probably choose Tremere.
BUT! If there will be different paths to different clans ... i gues i take first offer i get.

Given that clan is chosen part way through game, it's gonna depend on whether the choice is in character or whether it's the player that picks a clan and therefore the diablorised vampire was of that clan situation.

If the character chooses then that choice is gonna be effected by the kindred of each clan they meet and the impression they leave. So I'm not gonna make a hard meta decision until i know. I'll probably decide during the game.

That said I'm less likely to go for brujah as I'm intending a nebulation stealth playthrough - which smashing the ground wouldn't be super helpful for.

If the character chooses then that choice is gonna be effected by the kindred of each clan they meet and the impression they leave. So I'm not gonna make a hard meta decision until i know. I'll probably decide during the game.

That said I'm less likely to go for brujah as I'm intending a nebulation stealth playthrough - which smashing the ground wouldn't be super helpful for.

Nebulation is probably a solid choice for stealth, given that none of the clans will have obfuscate.

Why are you concerned about whether or not your other Disciplines are inconspicuous if you're going to be sneaking all the time anyway? Isn't the whole point of a stealth playthrough to avoid combat as much as possible and only use your disciplines when you mess up or can't hide? IMO you can still play as a Brujah, just don't mess up and you won't have to use Potence that much... hopefully. :p

Last edited:
Why are you concerned about whether or not your other Disciplines are inconspicuous if you're going to be sneaking all the time anyway? Isn't the whole point of a stealth playthrough to avoid combat as much as possible and only use your disciplines when you mess up or can't hide? IMO you can still play as a Brujah, just don't mess up and you won't have to use Potence that much... hopefully. :p
Interesting point ...

Also i wonder what will you @Detective Malloy choose for Brujah ...
Mentalism seems funny ... that way you can punch people away, knock them back, pull them away, or levitate them away.
That will be precious on PnP for Vampire that is obsessed with his personal space. :D

Ventrue is my favorite clan, of the ones offered. So my first instinct is a recreation of my "soccer mom" character in Bloodlines 1.

On the other hand, a recent thread has convinced me to try to make a character as physically elderly looking as possible, and if I'm going to be a crazed old man I'm leaning towards Malkavian or Brujah.

On the third hand, playing a Toreador and RPing as Ministry is also an option.

Good to see many people choosing the clan of seers for a first play-thought. Back in Bloodlines 1 people said "Play Malks on a second play-thought to not spoil the game", nonsense. They are my favorite clan, both lore and play-wise. First time i play the game, BL1, i did choose Tremere, not bad clan, but then after some hours, two in fact, i create a Malkavian pc, and i haven't look back. So this time Malk, Malk, Malk, in that order :)

I, too, am surprised that Malkavians seem to be such a popular pick. I expected more Tremere given that they were considered by many to be OP in the original, or Brujah since they are going to be more combat focused. I'm happy to see folks are interested in the immersion/RP aspects of the game :).

Malk is deffinatly my second playthrough, but I just remember being so frustrated in the first game, not actually feeling like I knew what the hell I was saying...
I'm normally a gangrel guy, but seeing as I get to look forward to that treat I actually am considering a stealth ventrue... Stealth just comes to me as the natural gameplay most times so might as well embrace it :)
So that means Brujah is out since they are balls out in your face always... and Toreador wants to be the center of attention where as Ventrue doesn't mind being the power in the shadows...
So an ambitous young Ventrue, moving in the shadows to create his own powerbase in the city with information, allies and mind-control seems like a interesting choice, focusing on Dominate for both social interactions and taking out enemies before initiating combat...

As a thinblood I will probably choose Chiropteran or Nebulation, though that will be primarily for their movement power to help getting in position for the best possible advantages, which I'm not sure of... so if anyone has some reason or suggestion as to those to help me flesh out my character, I'd be much obliged...
I suspect that once we know about the backgrounds it will help me find him better as well...

Reactions:
Malk is deffinatly my second playthrough, but I just remember being so frustrated in the first game, not actually feeling like I knew what the hell I was saying...
I'm normally a gangrel guy, but seeing as I get to look forward to that treat I actually am considering a stealth ventrue... Stealth just comes to me as the natural gameplay most times so might as well embrace it :)
So that means Brujah is out since they are balls out in your face always... and Toreador wants to be the center of attention where as Ventrue doesn't mind being the power in the shadows...
So an ambitous young Ventrue, moving in the shadows to create his own powerbase in the city with information, allies and mind-control seems like a interesting choice, focusing on Dominate for both social interactions and taking out enemies before initiating combat...

As a thinblood I will probably choose Chiropteran or Nebulation, though that will be primarily for their movement power to help getting in position for the best possible advantages, which I'm not sure of... so if anyone has some reason or suggestion as to those to help me flesh out my character, I'd be much obliged...
I suspect that once we know about the backgrounds it will help me find him better as well...

I remember playing Malkavians in BL1 and having a similar frustration. I ended up switching to Nosferatu to finish my first play through (going, I guess, a similar route that you suggest, focusing on stealth). However, I suspect they won't be making the same mistake in BL2. They talked about the sort of comical crazy from BL1 as a mistake in the Malkavian reveal discussion with devs video, and that they wanted to have something different in this version.

That being said, playing a Ventrue as you suggest seems to have a lot of merit regardless. I'll be excited to hear how it goes!