• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CKIII Dev Diary #25 - Map Features and Map Modes

Greetings everyone!

Today I’m here to talk a bit about the map. Building on top of our early map related DD#2 (if you have yet to read it, you can do so here), I’ll expand that discussion by outlining additional features, new information, and how you interact with the map itself!

Terrain
Let’s start with the terrain, which has a significant impact on several parts of the game. Different terrain types allow for different buildings to be constructed. For example, farmland allows for superior economy buildings, while mountainous terrain unlocks rather impressive defensive structures. They also have an effect on development, making development change faster or slower over time. Expect it to be a massive undertaking of developing the Sahara, while developing the fertile fields of India will be a much easier task.

As for combat, one of the most noticeable effects is that of combat width. When you are fielding a much larger army than your opponent, you will favour a high combat width, so you’ll want to seek to engage the enemy in plains or drylands. On the other hand, fighting in rough terrain like mountains or wetlands will restrict the number of units that can simultaneously engage the enemy, allowing small armies with powerful Men-at-Arms to truly excel. Terrain also affects army movement speed, along with the usual defensive bonus you would expect in rough terrain types, which is gained in the form of increased Advantage at the start of a battle.

The terrain types we have available are the following:
Farmlands - Has access to many different and powerful buildings, allowing you to easily customize your holding the way you want to. Paired with high development speed, farmland provinces are highly desirable to hold in your domain.
Floodplains - Another desirable terrain type used in certain areas, such as along the Nile. Similar in power to farmlands, but with some minor differences.
Plains - One of the most common terrain types, plains exist almost everywhere and provide a wide range of building options.
Drylands - A variant of plains with slightly different buildings available.
Desert - While deserts doesn’t offer a whole lot in terms of taxes, supply limit or development, it does have access to levies and a unique building chain increasing your number of available Knights.
Oasis - These exist only in certain areas. The terrain has access to similar buildings as desert, but without the penalties in supply limit or development.
Steppe - Mostly used by tribals on the wide steppe, this is where Horse Archers reign supreme. The steppe starts with low development, and has a significant penalty in development growth.
Forest - Has lower combat width and supply limit, but offers great buildings for improving archers and skirmishers.
Taiga - A variant found in the very northern parts of the map, with slightly lower combat width and supply limit than forest.
Jungle - Mainly found in India and offers even less combat width and supply limit. It does, however, have access to a unique building chain for improving your Knights and heavy cavalry.
Hills - Hills offers a small Advantage bonus in combat, and has access to both fortifications and decent tax buildings.
Mountains - Has access to great fortifications and defensive buildings, making it a long and risky business to siege down holdings.
Desert Mountains - Similar to mountains, but for desert areas (obviously), with lower supply limit, development growth, as well as a bonus that allows defending armies to take less casualties when retreating.
Wetlands - While wetlands still allow for some decent buildings, it’s a terrain type you don’t want to fight battles in if you can avoid it. Especially if there’s a risk of being on the losing side...

25_01_wetlands.jpg

25_01_farmlands.jpg

Context Sensitive Selection
We want it to be easy to gain information directly from the map. Whenever you change map modes, or have something “selected”, we update the map accordingly and allow you to often interact with the map itself. Clicking on the map on any given realm, will open that ruler’s character view. This in turn allows you to see rulers he is at war with, his allies, or direct vassals. All of this is shown directly on the map and is selectable, though you do not have to rely on finding it on the map; we still show relations and everything in the interface as well.

25_02_ruler_selection.jpg

This applies to everything we show on the map. Regardless of your map mode, you can always click to select the “entity” you are looking at. If you have the faith map mode active, you can click on a faith to open the interface for it, as well as seeing where its holy sites are located.

Realm Map Mode
Your bread and butter map mode is what we simply call the Realm map mode.
When zoomed in you’ll encounter what we call the detail level, and will see the map for what it is. Terrain of individual baronies, rivers, and holding graphics are all clearly visible.

25_03_realm_1.jpg

Zoom out a bit and you’ll transition into the Realms layer, your typical political map mode. Realms are clearly highlighted with their colour, allowing you to easily see all independent realms at a glance, while still showing the coat of arms of your direct vassals, to allow for easy realm management.

25_04_realm_2.jpg

Zoom out further and you’ll enter the paper map. This is the place to go for a rather fancy overview of the world (or excellent screenshots)! Only independent realms are shown, without any vassal breakdowns. For now, I’ll just tease you with a partial picture, as we’ll show the entire thing in a later DD. And yes, we got the mandatory sea monsters!

25_05_realm_3.jpg

Other Map Modes
Our other map modes remain consistent in the information they show as you zoom in and out, and do not have the level dependency of Realms. If you have the faith map mode open, you are gonna want to see faiths regardless of your zoom level. You’ll still get the spectacular paper map when you zoom further out, but the information shown on the map will remain the same.

De Jure - As you’d expect, we have dedicated map modes for showing the De Jure areas of duchies, kingdoms, and empires.

Faiths - Allows you to easily see what faiths are spread out around the world.

Cultures - For that nifty culture overview.

Houses - Since it’s a game about characters and dynasties, we want it to be easy to see which house is governing the different realms.

Counties - Highlights individual counties in their respective colour.

Terrain - Shows all terrain types in different colours, for that quick and easy overview of the dominant terrain in any given area. Very useful if you have several Men-at-Arms options available with different terrain bonuses.

Governments - The map mode for viewing what kind of government rulers have.

Development - Gives you an overview of what the development level is across the map.

25_06_house_map_mode.jpg

That’s it for today! I’ll be back next week with another map related entry. Where I plan to simply show you, well, everything regarding the scope of the map and how different parts of the world looks!

• 112Like
  • 67Love
Reactions:
I'm loving the map.

The paper map on the one level looks gorgeous.

My only questions are:

a) Will we still be able to break down realms into subrealms by holding Ctrl and left clicking on them? That was a very cool CK2 feature.

b) Will there be map modes for things like control, the old revolt risk map mode was very useful.

c) Will there be more map modes in general, I also think about economy. I really hope we are not subscribing to the Stellaris school of "we need to cut back on map modes."

d) Will there be hot keys for these map modes?

• 30Like
Reactions:
Glad to see that terrain has a strong effect on what buildings you can build, alongside the good old modifiers. This will make me care a bit more about the type of provinces I want to expand onto.

• 5Like
Reactions:
a) Will we still be able to break down realms into subrealms by holding Ctrl and left clicking on them? That was a very cool CK2 feature.

b) Will there be map modes for things like control, the old revolt risk map mode was very useful.

c) Will there be more map modes in general, I also think about economy. I really hope we are not subscribing to the Stellaris school of "we need to cut back on map modes."

d) Will there be hot keys for these map modes?

A) Yes. CTRL-Left and Right clicking is still available in Realm map mode.

B) The listed map modes are the ones we have available at the moment. Though we always evaluate the need for additional map modes.

C) Not for what we have planned for now. But again, if we feel the need to add additional map modes, we will.

D) Indeed! All map modes have hot keys.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have terrain, political, and paper maps be just different map buttons rather than zoom levels? Zoom transitions might sound fancy, but are needlessly constraining from a practical perspective.

• 7Like
Reactions:
What does "Create new Holding" mean?
I see there are a few mapmodes, but what about Revolt Risk Map, Direct Vassals Map and Plague Map, which were very important (and the other minor ones from CK2)?

• 1Like
Reactions:
1588683526011.png

Anglo-saxon England not using the Three Lions CoA.... YES!!!!

Zoom out a bit and you’ll transition into the Realms layer, your typical political map mode. Realms are clearly highlighted with their colour, allowing you to easily see all independent realms at a glance, while still showing the coat of arms of your direct vassals, to allow for easy realm management.

25_04_realm_2.jpg

A small naming suggestion. It would be better if Lleida would be renamed as Lārida, as it was the arabic name of the Taifa Kingdom (and its main city) during the muslim rule (later on, it be known as Lérida in Spanish, and Lleida in Catalan).

Attachments

• 1588683620589.png
    1588683620589.png
    64,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 17Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Awesome update, thank you!

I am surprised that Steppe is "starts with low development, and has a significant penalty in development growth.". Steppes are actually very fertile lands. Shouldn't they be similar to farmlands in the development?

• 1Love
Reactions:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have terrain, political, and paper maps be just different map buttons rather than zoom levels? Zoom transitions might sound fancy, but are needlessly constraining from a practical perspective.
Exacly. Why not give people choice?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Will we be able to mod in new map modes?
This has been hard coded in PDX games for a long time now, perhaps it'd be good to change?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Loving the paper map mode! And the colour of the Byzantine Empire in particular.

Does uninhabitable territory get coloured in by a surrounding dominant power or will it remain blank on all map modes?

Long shot but is there a civ-like feature where you can clear wetlands and the like and make them more productive?

• 4Like
Reactions:
What does "Create new Holding" mean?
Those are empty pieces of land that you may construct a completely new holding in, where you can choose to build a new castle, city, or temple.

Anglo-saxon England not using the Three Lions CoA.... YES!!!!
I was thinking of how long it would take for someone to notice. ;)

I see we'l have a Counties map - please, do a Duchies map too!
Don't worry. We have a de jure map mode for each tier; County, Duchy, Kingdom, and Empire. I probably didn't make that clear in my original post.

I'd love to hear more about the buildings that are associated with the different terrains, is that a separate diary for later?
I do not believe we plan to cover buildings in any diary. At least not in detail. Is there something in particular you are curious about?

• 6Like
Reactions: