• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is fantastic. For older players, this doesn't hurt us, and for diehard PDXers will still be able to buy everything. But for new players who want to dip their toe and get the full, complete game experience without playing an aged base game, it's a fantastic opportunity.
Have you ever heard of the games industry before? If I was a modder on this game I would stop immediately and if I worked on other PDX games I would consider moving on to other things.

Reactions:
\DO NOT DO THIS!! I'm a whale, I buy all the paradox DLC, this wouldnt technically impact me, but I know for sure this is a shitty move. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do this. Cancel this stupid plan, lower your DLC price, and give everyone holy fury for their troubles.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Have you ever heard of the games industry before? If I was a modder on this game I would stop immediately and if I worked on other PDX games I would consider moving on to other things.

I don't see why. Someone like me, who buys most DLC as soon as they come out, will not be affected at all by this. The people who prefer to wait for a Steam sale to stock up on DLC still won't be affected. But there are a lot of players out there -- including several of my friends -- who like the idea of a game like CK2 or EU4 but aren't willing to part with $100+ to get the full experience, and instead end up being turned off by how barebones an dated the base game is. I would think a low-cost subscription option would let newcomers to PDX games try the "full" experience, and then they may be more willing to actually buy the content. That means a bigger player base, more revenue, and continued good products.

I honestly don't see the downside, so long as subscription is just an option and not the only way.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I already stopped paying for DLC for a few years now, because I was fed up with the direction PDX went. Seems like I made a good choice...

It's such a shame. 10 years ago, I bought everything you made, even games I doubted I would ever play, because I loved you. How greed can kill love...

Reactions:
\DO NOT DO THIS!! I'm a whale, I buy all the paradox DLC, this wouldnt technically impact me, but I know for sure this is a shitty move. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do this. Cancel this stupid plan, lower your DLC price, and give everyone holy fury for their troubles.
What troubles? The horrid task of posting your opinion in this thread?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I don't see why. Someone like me, who buys most DLC as soon as they come out, will not be affected at all by this. The people who prefer to wait for a Steam sale to stock up on DLC still won't be affected. But there are a lot of players out there -- including several of my friends -- who like the idea of a game like CK2 or EU4 but aren't willing to part with $100+ to get the full experience, and instead end up being turned off by how barebones an dated the base game is. I would think a low-cost subscription option would let newcomers to PDX games try the "full" experience, and then they may be more willing to actually buy the content. That means a bigger player base, more revenue, and continued good products.

I honestly don't see the downside, so long as subscription is just an option and not the only way.
If you don't see the downside then you're not putting any thought into it. If you want your friends to get to experience CKII, a legacy game now, it should be sold in a big box version like so many games are. Hundreds of dollars for DLC a decade old makes no sense, but neither does a subscription. PDX is "solving" a problem they created. And no, obviously it affects you because literally no business sets something like this up without it ending up impacting everyone else. Be sensible about this, why on earth would this not affect their other games and other customers in the end?

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you don't see the downside then you're not putting any thought into it. If you want your friends to get to experience CKII, a legacy game now, it should be sold in a big box version like so many games are. Hundreds of dollars for DLC a decade old makes no sense, but neither does a subscription. PDX is "solving" a problem they created. And no, obviously it affects you because literally no business sets something like this up without it ending up impacting everyone else. Be sensible about this, why on earth would this not affect their other games and other customers in the end?

I can only see this as a negative if they make a subscription the ONLY way to access games. But I don't think they'd do that. I'm not against your idea of doing a discounted CK2 single bundle, though with how frequently PDX games in general go on steep discount on the Steam store anyway, I'm not sure how necessary it is. But if this were given as an option, as an alternative to a permanent purchase, for a live game like EU4 for example, I still think a low-cost subscription is a great way for someone to "try before you buy" to experience all the content the game has at the time. As long as they don't take away purchases and require a subscription, how would this really hurt anyone? I honestly don't see it, so feel free to enlighten me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd imagine that a "CK2 single bundle" (including base game + every DLC) could be sold at about 60€ (does it seem reasonable?).
That price is very different to current situation where you can buy DLC on discount at (at best) 66% price reduction. Right now, I find about 307€ full price on steam, ie 104 with a -66% discount (which as far as I know does not exist on that website)

• 5Like
Reactions:
I am not affected since bought my stuff, but I cannot see me subscribing to a game for a monthly fee. This was one of the reasons I never started with WoW. This is the reason why I do not subscribe to game steaming services as well. I like owning stuff. I rent things I cannot afford otherwise but NEED - like my home or maybe one-use articles (for me!) like heavy duty gardening tools or things like industrial steam cleaners. This model seems alien to me. Maybe this is my upbringing but if - when I was young - a friend of mine ever made the proposal "I lend you my toy for one month and you give 5€" - I would probably whacked his head with the toy.

Then I cannot see why they are not dishing out full versions that work for 5-10 hours for free? If the player likes the game, he can buy the "Gold Edition" for said 40-50€. Still good money for an old game with successor already out. If he would not like the game - well you lose out on possible 5€ but if he likes it you win 50€. I cannot imagine people falling for leasing the game for a longer period of time - the return on invest is too small.

And I absolutely loathe the automatic re-subscription. Make it with consent of player ALWAYS. Make the game stop working and state "no days left - spend 4,99€ for another 30 days?" Y/N - but never dare to touch a player's wallet automatically. Ask before doing that. This is just good manners. (And would not lead to penalize players forgetting to unsubscribe in time - those WILL be angry and remember the company their money went bye-bye to)

Just my 5 cents

• 1Like
Reactions:
Seems to be a lot of senseless hate right now against Paradox. Its an option if you don't want to spend hundred of £££ on all the DLC. for some people this would be great, for others, its pointless. Its pointless to me because I own all or pretty much all the DLC - that's fine, I chose to spend money either at full price or discounted when it was originally available. Heck, I bought most of my first set of dlc when it was still on gamersgate when I was still anti-steam.

The anti-steam thing went on for awhile, but you know what, me and a lot of others have accepted it and now all of Paradox's stuff is on steam.

As long as its part of a multi-optional approach, I don't mind.

Remember as well... games like Final Fantasy XI... still going nearly 20 years on, $13 a month for one character. Is this going to get loads of cash for Paradox? Probably not, but it keeps the money wheel for CKII - a game a lot of us loved very much - going for just a little bit longer, and they have already made the base game free awhile back. Fair enough.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Wonderful. Will be super useful for those just wanting to try the game and its DLCs out, or if you play it on and off, like I do. And it's optional, so I don't see what people are angry about. So long as PDX doesn't transition to subscription-only for its games, I don't see a problem.

Also, if CK2 is now permanently free to play, I definitely do not see the problem. If you don't want to pay anything, just get the game for free.

Reactions:
This is bad.

Do not even start with this.

A better way would be to integrate DLCs into the basegame after a period of time (like 2 years).
"How dare you not give me stuff for free! I'm entitled!"

Reactions:
"How dare you not give me stuff for free! I'm entitled!"
Yeah, I wrote this in the first heat. Later I made a more reasonable suggestion, that the subscription should let you keep the stuff after a period of time.

I was admittetly very angry when I first read the post, and therefore expressed myself a bit more intense than I would now, but I still stand to my core point, of that PDX is not honest when talking about this subscription service and that they are tricking people with ad psychology.

Reactions:
Reading through the thread, while I still support the subscription idea, the point about forgetting about your subscription, or not considering how much money you've spent, is a good one and I'd prefer if the PDX put in reminders say, every three months or so, or had the subscription only last three months, for example before you were asked if you wanted to renew.

Yeah, I wrote this in the first heat. Later I made a more reasonable suggestion, that the subscription should let you keep the stuff after a period of time.

I was admittetly very angry when I first read the post, and therefore expressed myself a bit more intense than I would now, but I still stand to my core point, of that PDX is not honest when talking about this subscription service and that they are tricking people with ad psychology.
Yeah, I guess I jumped the gun in turn in calling you out, so sorry about that ;).

Reactions:
Seems to be a lot of senseless hate right now against Paradox. Its an option if you don't want to spend hundred of £££ on all the DLC. for some people this would be great, for others, its pointless. Its pointless to me because I own all or pretty much all the DLC - that's fine, I chose to spend money either at full price or discounted when it was originally available. Heck, I bought most of my first set of dlc when it was still on gamersgate when I was still anti-steam.

Remember as well... games like Final Fantasy XI... still going nearly 20 years on, $13 a month for one character. Is this going to get loads of cash for Paradox? Probably not, but it keeps the money wheel for CKII - a game a lot of us loved very much - going for just a little bit longer, and they have already made the base game free awhile back. Fair enough.

The hate isn't unjustified, it's been building because Paradox seems to be following the same path as some other companies and it's like they're looking for a revenue stream that grants the most outlay with the minimum amount of effort and work that needs to be put in. It also doesn't help that there was a fundamental shift and decrease in the quality of the DLC after the new CEO came in, with higher prices and less or worse content then before.

Keep in mind that the difference between FFXI and PDX games is that the MMO banks on multiple things to justify that. Community, multiple players, multiple things to play, multiple events, solo, group, guild content.

Nothing PO's people faster then a company offering subpar products, support, that are an actual ripoff. It's why people see the Xbonegamepass for $15mo as a good deal, not only do you get games from there but you also get EA games on top of it. While people see the Ubisoft pass as a complete rip off, as it only is their selection of games.

Reactions:
I can only see this as a negative if they make a subscription the ONLY way to access games. But I don't think they'd do that. I'm not against your idea of doing a discounted CK2 single bundle, though with how frequently PDX games in general go on steep discount on the Steam store anyway, I'm not sure how necessary it is. But if this were given as an option, as an alternative to a permanent purchase, for a live game like EU4 for example, I still think a low-cost subscription is a great way for someone to "try before you buy" to experience all the content the game has at the time. As long as they don't take away purchases and require a subscription, how would this really hurt anyone? I honestly don't see it, so feel free to enlighten me.
"Try before you buy" is called playing the base game. If they're running a business then it doesn't make sense that subscriptions wouldn't impact the rest of the system. Microsoft was about to raise the price of the xbox live subscription because they wanted people to buy gamepass too. These aren't closed systems.

Reactions:
"Try before you buy" is called playing the base game. If they're running a business then it doesn't make sense that subscriptions wouldn't impact the rest of the system. Microsoft was about to raise the price of the xbox live subscription because they wanted people to buy gamepass too. These aren't closed systems.
That might make sense early in the game’s lifecycle.. but really, at this point, playing base EU4 or CK2 or HOI4 isn’t really indicative of the game at all. I think it’s nice to give newer players the chance to experience the fullness of the game, so they get a better sense of what it’s all about. Maybe I’m wrong but I would think this would actually increase sales of the DLC by hooking more players for the long haul.

Reactions: