• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Should have been an update/content as a parting gift to the players, not this.

If I was shaking my head just a bit harder right now it would come off.
Someone may have brought this up alreaday, but wasn't the great works update exactly this, A free content update meant as a gift for player?
I'm not really that much of a fan of the subscription; it's a good deal for the money, at $5 dollars for literally hundreds dollars worth of DLC, but I am afraid of this requiring an internet connection to verify that the subscription is still active, lest the player be locked out of a fair chunk of the game. A primarily single player game should not require a connection to a server.

Someone may have brought this up alreaday, but wasn't the great works update exactly this, A free content update meant as a gift for player?

I don't know if they ever gave an official explanation. In hindsight, it seems like the final few free patches were a mix of "final cleanup" and "developers' personal passion projects".

My (completely unsupported) hypothesis is:
  • They knew CK3 was coming soon
    • (CK3 was released less than 2 years after HF. I expect CK3 development started at least 1-2 years before HF released.)
  • => They wanted to wind down CK2 development and especially not release any more DLC
    • (Because releasing paid CK2 DLC a few months before announcing CK3 would be bad PR?)
  • => The CK2 team suddenly have much less work BUT they don't want fire them
    • (Because it's hard to find good devs? Because there wasn't yet any need for them on the CK3 team?)
  • => They let the CK2 team work on low-priority low-risk features for their remaining time before moving on to other projects.
    • (Plus Monarch's Journey, whose sole purpose was CK3 marketing.)
This fits the facts - but there are probably other explanations that work equally well. Unless Paradox says something on the subject, I doubt we'll ever really know. (And even then, a cynic might not fully believe them...)

Reactions:
I'm not really that much of a fan of the subscription; it's a good deal for the money, at $5 dollars for literally hundreds dollars worth of DLC, but I am afraid of this requiring an internet connection to verify that the subscription is still active, lest the player be locked out of a fair chunk of the game. A primarily single player game should not require a connection to a server.

You can still buy the content the old fashioned way though. I know it's not ideal requiring an internet connection - but it's unfortunately the reality of subscription services. It's hard to come up with a solution that has no downsides for anyone, which is why we opted to offer a couple of different ones at least so that you chose the one best suited for you.

• 2Like
Reactions: