• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CK3 is my first experience with the franchise and has been really enjoyable overall and I'm eagerly anticipating the Northern Lords, the first DLC and all of the future Flavor Packs and DLCs. The free patches have also been good and improved the game in noticeable and significant ways. Really looking forwards to what's next!

Reactions:
people just get stroppy it seems when their personal favorite region or playstyle isn't catered to. I'll just the pack on what it adds, not what it doesn't.
Yes, after years of reading complaints about "I don't care about [this culture or region] at all," I'm really glad that I have a broad range of interests and won't feel personally affronted and sidelined by the focuses of 80% of the flavor packs :p

• 4Like
Reactions:
CK3 is my first experience with the franchise and has been really enjoyable overall and I'm eagerly anticipating the Northern Lords, the first DLC and all of the future Flavor Packs and DLCs. The free patches have also been good and improved the game in noticeable and significant ways. Really looking forwards to what's next!

Basically my first CK experience despite trying to get into CK2 (30hrs clocked) i just couldnt understand it and felt overwhelmed but i knew it would be a game that i would like. CK3 came along and most of my limited gaming time is on this. I dont have any history with ck2 so i dont know if i would be happy or not happy with the level of content and their first chosen flavour pack. But as new person to ck series, im a very happy gamer.

Reactions:
I could barely get through the first few pages of this thread without skipping to the end just to post. Looking forward to the new features along with playing my first Norse game after this launches.

But the amount of tears, ostensibly from grown adults, is frankly disturbing.

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Howdy all,

We were honored and privileged to be part of Paradox Insider this weekend! For those of you that may have missed it, we announced Northern Lords is coming soon!

Curious what else that contains and what to expect? Here is a video that rather exquisitely explains that!

I always felt that being tribal is something you want to get out of as quickly as possible, or at least work towards havin this way out available to you as fast as possible. As it is not a sustainable way to play past a given time in the game: your development options are limited (new holdings!), so you will fall behind eventually.

If that is true, investing in raiding legacies seems to be a bad investment. Legacies-> long term, raiding -> short-mid-term.

Should I really use the precious legacy points on something I won't be able to use at all after 200 years?

Or is there a misconception in my idea of this?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I always felt that being tribal is something you want to get out of as quickly as possible, or at least work towards havin this way out available to you as fast as possible. As it is not a sustainable way to play past a given time in the game: your development options are limited (new holdings!), so you will fall behind eventually.

If that is true, investing in raiding legacies seems to be a bad investment. Legacies-> long term, raiding -> short-mid-term.

Should I really use the precious legacy points on something I won't be able to use at all after 200 years?

Or is there a misconception in my idea of this?
I am not sure if this has been confirmed/deconfirmed but is it possible the legacies allow you to raid without being tribal?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Howdy all,

We were honored and privileged to be part of Paradox Insider this weekend! For those of you that may have missed it, we announced Northern Lords is coming soon!

Curious what else that contains and what to expect? Here is a video that rather exquisitely explains that!

The Crusader Kings franchise has not yet represented the Southern Lords of Antarctica, the mighty Emperor Penguin. I think the Emperor Penguins just earned a Casus Belli against the Northern Lords and all the Paradox Dev's! Be warned, the Penguins are on the march...

Ugggggghhhh, my Royal Edition paid for effing Vikings? The Mary Sues of Paradox games? The already specialer and prettier and powerfuler and wonderfuler Vikings?

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhh*

Well, that's on my own dumb self. Of course the first thing was going to be about Vikings. They sell and Paradox adores them. Congratulations to their many enthusiastic fans. I very sincerely hope the content is enjoyable to them.

(But if the major pack is about the HRE and the next flavour pack is Italy, completing the holy trifecta of places I aggressively don't care about and will never play in, I might cry just a little bit. Why did I buy the RE? Did I want Abbasid clothes that bad? Mysteries.)

Reactions:
Ugggggghhhh, my Royal Edition paid for effing Vikings? The Mary Sues of Paradox games? The already specialer and prettier and powerfuler and wonderfuler Vikings?

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhh*

Well, that's on my own dumb self. Of course the first thing was going to be about Vikings. They sell and Paradox adores them. Congratulations to their many enthusiastic fans. I very sincerely hope the content is enjoyable to them.

(But if the major pack is about the HRE and the next flavour pack is Italy, completing the holy trifecta of places I aggressively don't care about and will never play in, I might cry just a little bit. Why did I buy the RE? Did I want Abbasid clothes that bad? Mysteries.)
Don't cry over spilt milk, chub. :)

It probably helps if you tell them what you actually want instead of what you don't want.

Reactions:
Don't cry over spilt milk, chub. :)

It probably helps if you tell them what you actually want instead of what you don't want.

The way development works, the next two things paid for by the RE are likely already set in stone. Registering enthusiasm or lack thereof for content may influence things down the line, hence why I did so (well, that and it's pretty much my actual reaction to the announcement).

That being said, since you ask: Muslims (acknowledging that honestly they shouldn't be lumped together as if al-Andalus and the Abbasids should have the exact same mechanics and flavour) and Byzantines. Dark horse candidate: Lithuanian pagans, who have always been underserved in the series despite being arguably the most successful and longest-lasting European pagan group of the period. What I'd eventually want is as much as possible for every region/culture to be distinct and have unique mechanics.

Dark horse candidate: Lithuanian pagans, who have always been underserved in the series despite being arguably the most successful and longest-lasting European pagan group of the period. What I'd eventually want is as much as possible for every region/culture to be distinct and have unique mechanics.
Did you not play with Holy Fury in CK2? Lithuania was one of the highlights. Disregarding that, what would you like to see done with the Lithuanians?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just picked this up, going to try it out.

In relation to the arguments going on, I have a theory about this. While everyone is going to have different things they enjoy in a game or different ideas of value, there seems to be a line of thinking that add-ons are essentially a zero-sum game. If group A is getting more stuff they like, that means they're "stealing" dev time and resources from things that group B likes. Thus, the members of group B feel that, in order for their wishes to not be ignored, they have to scream louder than group A does, so group A retaliates in kind, etc.

This isn't really a good situation, as in extreme cases it can basically lead to a fanbase divided into hostile camps that don't really do anything except spam post and shout over each other over increasingly narrow issues (I've seen this happen on other forums). Maybe, if the devs released a statement about the general direction they plan to go in over the next year or so (if that is possible) it might calm people down a bit.

I also think that the Cyberpunk debacle from last December may have something to do with it. That was a major disaster, and I think it might have made some members of the gaming community a little paranoid, seeing fraud and scams behind otherwise normal things like minor delays or server crashes (again, seen this on other forums).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Did you not play with Holy Fury in CK2? Lithuania was one of the highlights. Disregarding that, what would you like to see done with the Lithuanians?

I don't recall anything in Holy Fury that was specifically about Lithuanian paganism other than the rework of the map, though I may well be forgetting something. Separating it from the grabbag of "All the other pagans that aren't Tengrii and Norse" is kinda the point.

As for what specifically, well, they should probably consult a better expert than I, but the things that most readily spring to mind that could be represented in game are the sacred alkas sites, the legend of the Iron Wolf and the founding of Vilnius (possibly an event firing when you feudalise, maybe making it a bit easier for Lithuania and allowing the immediate creation of a castle and moving capital), and maybe some tongue-in-cheek nod to the Palemonids (basically an Aeneid-esque legend about how the rulers of Lithuania were descended from Romans who fled either the tyranny of Nero or Attila the Hun, although admittedly this story is from pretty late in CK3's timeframe).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I also think that the Cyberpunk debacle from last December may have something to do with it. That was a major disaster, and I think it might have made some members of the gaming community a little paranoid, seeing fraud and scams behind otherwise normal things like minor delays or server crashes (again, seen this on other forums).

TBH, I think you're looking too hard for an explanation there. People being unhappy a DLC doesn't cover what they want has been in a constant in the dozen-odd years or so I've been playing Paradox games, nothing new to see.

Reactions:
I don't recall anything in Holy Fury that was specifically about Lithuanian paganism other than the rework of the map, though I may well be forgetting something. Separating it from the grabbag of "All the other pagans that aren't Tengrii and Norse" is kinda the point.

As for what specifically, well, they should probably consult a better expert than I, but the things that most readily spring to mind that could be represented in game are the sacred alkas sites, the legend of the Iron Wolf and the founding of Vilnius (possibly an event firing when you feudalise, maybe making it a bit easier for Lithuania and allowing the immediate creation of a castle and moving capital), and maybe some tongue-in-cheek nod to the Palemonids (basically an Aeneid-esque legend about how the rulers of Lithuania were descended from Romans who fled either the tyranny of Nero or Attila the Hun, although admittedly this story is from pretty late in CK3's timeframe).
I only ask because people want a whole lot of vague things, but oftentimes they have nothing concrete to say about what it should contain.

• 1Like
Reactions: