• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dead-horse.jpg

• 50Haha
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Byzantines are the perfect candidates for a culture flavor packs (their special mechanics wouldnt really suit well anybody outside them, so i doubt would be used in a major expansion), so i have the feeling the second flavor packs will be them
Honestly, I'd prefer an actual "meaty" expansion around the Byzantines. There could be an overhaul of the Orthodox Church, plus imperial government and better navies going alongside this hypothetical expansion.

• 4Like
Reactions:
They could have balanced the Crusade/GHW mechanics while giving us some flavor, but i agree with you anyways... but my disappointment over having another "vIkAnG" DLC/game/whatever is more of a personal thing that a real issue for me. I was expecting something more interesting.
Look at it this way: there had to be a Norse DLC eventually, since it's just too popular a subject nowadays. They've gotten it over with and next time they can do literally anything else. If they somehow manage to release a second Norse DLC later in CK3's lifespan, I will be annoyed.

• 28Like
  • 7Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Also, the 'North Sea Empire' was never a real de jure empire.
It's colloquially called the "North Sea Empire", (and the way it's described is titular) and there are plenty of other absurd de jure empires in the game so I think this falls into full "who cares, it's cool" territory. This is coming from someone who isn't entirely thrilled we're covering vikings first.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly, I'd prefer an actual "meaty" expansion around the Byzantines. There could be an overhaul of the Orthodox Church, plus imperial government and better navies going alongside this hypothetical expansion.

Russia had it's own special cultural quirks, so i think eventually they will have their own culture pack. Orthodoxs as a whole are too wildespread to be limited in a culture pack, so i think they will add some new features for them in an actuall expansion

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know it's a fair bit of work, but could we get a written rundown?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am sooooo tired of vikings so I won't deny I am disappointed especially when it feels like this adds an amount of content that should have been released 2-3 months ago. Probably would have been less annoying if we at least saw a larger DLC announced as well. Some neat features are in this sure but I'm more interested in bookmarks where vikings don't even exist anymore so anything only involving them is useless to me.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
Reactions:
It's colloquially called the "North Sea Empire", (and the way it's described is titular) and there are plenty of other absurd de jure empires in the game so I think this fulls into full "who cares, it's cool" territory. This is coming from someone who isn't entirely thrilled this we're covering vikings first.

I think they're dumb too. That's why I had to download the More Rules mod so that the only formable empires are HRE, ERE, Persia and a few other historical medieval empires.

I don't want to be overly critical but I think it's a bit sad when modders who do it in their spare time for free do a better job than full-time paid employees at introducing new, fun and immersive content for PDX games.

• 10Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I just hope there won't be a constant whack-a-viking contest along my shores, like in CK2.

• 8Like
  • 7Haha
Reactions:
I am sooooo tired of vikings so I won't deny I am disappointed especially when it feels like this adds an amount of content that should have been released 2-3 months ago. Probably would have been less annoying if we at least saw a larger DLC announced as well.
I'd rather have the inevitable viking band-aid ripped off now than later. Still, it feels like this could have dropped much earlier. The team went near radio silent ever since character designer dropped.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I think they're dumb too. That's why I had to download the More Rules mod so that the only formable empires are HRE, ERE, Persia and a few other historical medieval empires.

I don't want to be overly critical but I think it's a bit sad when modders who do it in their spare time for free do a better job than full-time paid employees at introducing new, fun and immersive content for PDX games.
I do agree there should be more options. Though, in my experience none of the empires other than those ever form in vanilla anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I know it's a fair bit of work, but could we get a written rundown?
-character events
-shieldmaidens
-form North Sea Empire
-blots
-jomsvikings
-adventurers that can abandon former homes and settle elsewhere
-historical targets for adventurers, such as Britain, Normandy, Rus, etc.
-cosmetics (clothing & helmets)
-two new dynasty legacies
-new innovations
-music?

I may be forgetting something...

Reactions:
Okay, that's a lot more content than I thought these flavor packs would have. I'm really happy with this. This is definitely the model you should use from now on with Flavor Packs. Intense focus on one area, and an announcement very close to launch. It's a great contrast to the way PDX usually does big updates and DLC, with an announcement followed by months of DDs before we ever get a release date. You can string us along for the big stuff and spoil us with the small stuff, lol.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I'd rather have the inevitable viking band-aid ripped off now than later. Still, it feels like this could have dropped much earlier. The team went near radio silent ever since character designer dropped.
My hope is that they are working on a big expansion along the way.
I mean, they said a major expansion will be priced at $30, which is HUGE.
And this kind of content is supposedly coming relatively soon, as it was included in the Expansion Pass.

Reactions:
I hope the DLC will work out! I have a love-hate relationship with the TOG expansion for CK2 as while I did like the introduction of pagan faiths I really didn't enjoy the dynamic that the Norse eventually brought to the gameplay for people starting from the earliest two starting dates. However, I think it might work out pretty well for CK3 if that integration mechanic is implemented well and the Norse due eventually convert to Christianity outside of player intervention. Now, let's hope no one makes a thread about the historicity of shieldmaidens or we'll have a flame war day on the forum...

Will the free update also include the announced (and maybe yet-to-be revealed) map updates from the dev diaries? It would be nice to have slightly more revamped Ireland and Northern Italy to play with :)

Reactions:
I do agree there should be more options. Though, in my experience none of the empires other than those ever form in vanilla anyway.

Kingdom of Danelaw falls into that too. It wasn't a real 'de jure' kingdom. Norse kings of England were just 'King of England'. It's fine if people like that 'it's cool and different' but I'd like the option to turn off ahistorical kingdoms and empires, for role-play and immersion purposes.

It kind of sucks that in vanilla, if a Norse AI ruler forms 'Kingdom of the Danelaw', that's what it will be called for the entire play-through because it permanently destroys 'Kingdom of England'. It's just an eyesore and ruins immersion for me, as do ahistorical de jure empires, so I'd like the option to turn them off via game rules.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: