CK3 - What's Next?

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Voy

Wiki Royalty
47 Badges
Apr 20, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Major Wiki Contributor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
I don't recall anything in Holy Fury that was specifically about Lithuanian paganism other than the rework of the map, though I may well be forgetting something. Separating it from the grabbag of "All the other pagans that aren't Tengrii and Norse" is kinda the point.

As for what specifically, well, they should probably consult a better expert than I, but the things that most readily spring to mind that could be represented in game are the sacred alkas sites, the legend of the Iron Wolf and the founding of Vilnius (possibly an event firing when you feudalise, maybe making it a bit easier for Lithuania and allowing the immediate creation of a castle and moving capital), and maybe some tongue-in-cheek nod to the Palemonids (basically an Aeneid-esque legend about how the rulers of Lithuania were descended from Romans who fled either the tyranny of Nero or Attila the Hun, although admittedly this story is from pretty late in CK3's timeframe).
I only ask because people want a whole lot of vague things, but oftentimes they have nothing concrete to say about what it should contain.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Gwinpleen

Recruit
67 Badges
Jan 16, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
For starters - I really love the DLC and what they put in the game with the patch! It brings new (old) things to the game that work really well. Despite that, I would like to ask why the Baltic region gets so neglected? As someone who comes from the region I find it hard to understand, as the whole region around the Baltic Sea has so much to offer (Finns, Estonians, Baltic tribes, Polish and Pommeranian people). I mean, I love that the Estonians finally got the longship-innovation from the get go, but what about the Curonians? I have to say that I find myself very disappointed at the lack of the longship-tech inclusion for the Curonians (Courland in the game) as they were known raiders and sailors even as far back as 900 - 1000 AD. As much as I enjoyed the Northern Crusades Extension in CK2, the culture pack for the Baltics there too was lacking in more than one way and the Finno-Ugric people as well as the Baltic people were all mixed together regardless of their cultural and social differences. I don't want to whine or complain, but is it really so hard for the you to look a bit further into the societies and cultures of the Baltic region. :p After all it was the Curonians and Estonians who raided Sigtuna in 1187, if the sources are to believed, and were known to be a menace (as over-sea raiders) after the Norse people's raids in the Baltic Sea abated. It is the same with names actually. For the Baltic Latgallians to have names like Ako or Kaupo is just absurd as those are Livonian names (Livonians are a tribe of Finno-Ugric origin). I mean - there are chronicles in Swedish, Danish, Russian, Polish and German. Also, I know that there are some mods that try to at least differentiate the Baltic tribes, expanding the scope as not all people living in the region were Latgallians. These mods try to show that there were also Curonians, Semigallians and other such as the tribes of the Žemaiši and Augstaiši in Lithuania (the names are written like they are spelled in Latvian). So, at least there is that. But otherwise there is little to no content moded or original that would go more in-depth on the cultural and social differences of that part of the region. In CK2 for example the Finns, Hungarians, Uralic tribes and the Latgallians had the same unit models too, which is quite far fetched as the Finns used other armour and the Hungarians too. Here every tribe in the North has this one specific retinue unit, which too is incorrect... I really love what the Devs did with this game and can only hope that at some point this region will also catch their interest. Otherwise - great work and can't wait for more to come!

• 3Like
Reactions:

stratigo

Colonel
69 Badges
Aug 14, 2006
  • Stellaris
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sword of the Stars II
Did you not play with Holy Fury in CK2? Lithuania was one of the highlights. Disregarding that, what would you like to see done with the Lithuanians?
I feel bad for the baltic pagans. They don't have a place in the mind of western culture like the norse cause they didn't go about conquering the lands that these people now live in, but stayed and expanded and fought more locally. If your culture came from eastern europe and stayed there, most people in the west don't care. If your culture came from, say, england though, man you could have been the smallest, meanest, most petty realm and it'll be celebrated through the ages.

We need more witchers in pop culture to break open eastern pop culture and make it sexy for western audiences.

• 7Like
Reactions:

PanzerMonster

Second Lieutenant
38 Badges
Mar 21, 2019
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
I feel bad for the baltic pagans. They don't have a place in the mind of western culture like the norse cause they didn't go about conquering the lands that these people now live in, but stayed and expanded and fought more locally. If your culture came from eastern europe and stayed there, most people in the west don't care. If your culture came from, say, england though, man you could have been the smallest, meanest, most petty realm and it'll be celebrated through the ages.

We need more witchers in pop culture to break open eastern pop culture and make it sexy for western audiences.

Yep, it seems that Baltic pagan countries are trash to developers and serve only a purpose to be conquered by larger countries...like Sweden (a tongue in cheek because they actually occupied them for quite a while and then forgot about the fact).

• 2Angry
Reactions:

Kyoumen

Lt. General
31 Badges
Dec 6, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I only ask because people want a whole lot of vague things, but oftentimes they have nothing concrete to say about what it should contain.

Well, to be honest, I don't see a problem with that? Sometimes you just don't like something - it may be more helpful feedback if you can say "I'd rather have this", but not knowing what you'd prefer doesn't invalidate your opinion.

It is of course Paradox's job to determine how much opinions on the forum correlate to their audience as a whole, and how much they let that affect their future plans.

• 1Like
Reactions:

1611Vladtheimpaler

Recruit
26 Badges
Dec 15, 2018
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Europa Universalis IV
I can't tell any positives from this flavour pack. Really seems niche, maybe cut to the chase a bit more in videos. Only thing I remember is its for norse, landless characters go on an adventure.

Reactions:

es333

Lt. General
53 Badges
Apr 16, 2007
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Rome Gold
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
For starters - I really love the DLC and what they put in the game with the patch! It brings new (old) things to the game that work really well. Despite that, I would like to ask why the Baltic region gets so neglected? As someone who comes from the region I find it hard to understand, as the whole region around the Baltic Sea has so much to offer (Finns, Estonians, Baltic tribes, Polish and Pommeranian people). I mean, I love that the Estonians finally got the longship-innovation from the get go, but what about the Curonians? I have to say that I find myself very disappointed at the lack of the longship-tech inclusion for the Curonians (Courland in the game) as they were known raiders and sailors even as far back as 900 - 1000 AD. As much as I enjoyed the Northern Crusades Extension in CK2, the culture pack for the Baltics there too was lacking in more than one way and the Finno-Ugric people as well as the Baltic people were all mixed together regardless of their cultural and social differences. I don't want to whine or complain, but is it really so hard for the you to look a bit further into the societies and cultures of the Baltic region. :p After all it was the Curonians and Estonians who raided Sigtuna in 1187, if the sources are to believed, and were known to be a menace (as over-sea raiders) after the Norse people's raids in the Baltic Sea abated. It is the same with names actually. For the Baltic Latgallians to have names like Ako or Kaupo is just absurd as those are Livonian names (Livonians are a tribe of Finno-Ugric origin). I mean - there are chronicles in Swedish, Danish, Russian, Polish and German. Also, I know that there are some mods that try to at least differentiate the Baltic tribes, expanding the scope as not all people living in the region were Latgallians. These mods try to show that there were also Curonians, Semigallians and other such as the tribes of the Žemaiši and Augstaiši in Lithuania (the names are written like they are spelled in Latvian). So, at least there is that. But otherwise there is little to no content moded or original that would go more in-depth on the cultural and social differences of that part of the region. In CK2 for example the Finns, Hungarians, Uralic tribes and the Latgallians had the same unit models too, which is quite far fetched as the Finns used other armour and the Hungarians too. Here every tribe in the North has this one specific retinue unit, which too is incorrect... I really love what the Devs did with this game and can only hope that at some point this region will also catch their interest. Otherwise - great work and can't wait for more to come!

To sum it up shortly:

Back then "Curonian" was a geographical term and the "Curonian raiders" were actually Finnic people very closely related to the Estonians of Saaremaa.
The actually Baltic Curonians had a total of 40km of coastline compared to almost 4000km of coastline of the Finnic people in Estonia and Latvia. The Viking age Curonian peninsula was Finnic and Baltic Curonians didn't start expanding northwards before the second part of the 11th century. There was a stark difference between Finnics and Balts when it comes to seafaring, raiding and overall interactions with Scandinavains. Finnics of Estonia and modern-day Latvia in essence had the same culture as eastern Scandinavians which was indistinguishable from an archaeological standpoint and Scandinavians could use the Estonian coastline to sail into Russia which made Estonia one of the richest areas of Northern-Europe with the coastline being densely populated and full of forts next to natural harbors. There was no Scandinavian colonisation of Finnic areas in Estonia and Latvia.
Meanwhile Scandinavians had to establish colonies in the south-eastern Baltic region on their route to the Vistula. Those strongholds/colonies had almost no influence on the local populations as archaeological finds of Scandinavian background or influences just stop very sharply if you go further than ~12 km from the Scandinavian strongholds.

For more information about this, there's some very recent contemporary research that has been put into a book which gives an overview of the Eastern Baltic region in the Viking age, everything that I wrote here is in this book with citations: The Viking Eastern Baltic

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:

es333

Lt. General
53 Badges
Apr 16, 2007
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
Yep, it seems that Baltic pagan countries are trash to developers and serve only a purpose to be conquered by larger countries...like Sweden (a tongue in cheek because they actually occupied them for quite a while and then forgot about the fact).

Sweden has actually a very short history of "occupying" ethnically Baltic areas (1/3 of modern-day Latvia was ruled by Sweden for less than 100 years).

Reactions:

BurningEGO

Field Marshal
127 Badges
Feb 10, 2006
  • Majesty 2
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • For The Glory
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
I was looking on steam database and I had seen an "Atlantis Rising" and "Atlantis Unleashed" update, so I thought that the DLC was about to be a DLC similar to CK2's Aztec sunset invasion. Don't know how Northern Lords or Vikings are somehow tied to Atlantis, but I guess Atlantis is merely a name they use for updates for the database depository.

Reactions:

1611Vladtheimpaler

Recruit
26 Badges
Dec 15, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Europa Universalis IV
Imagine respectfully disagreeing with someone for saying you're not specific enough in the info video. Only now I read the dlc page on steam and the 4-5 dot pots were way more clear there, than here which all i said is cut to the chase.

Reactions:

n0cturn4l

Cyborg
54 Badges
Feb 14, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
I can't tell any positives from this flavour pack. Really seems niche, maybe cut to the chase a bit more in videos. Only thing I remember is its for norse, landless characters go on an adventure.

Imagine respectfully disagreeing with someone for saying you're not specific enough in the info video. Only now I read the dlc page on steam and the 4-5 dot pots were way more clear there, than here which all i said is cut to the chase.
I don't know why you're mad people are disagreeing with you.

Reactions:

Tschobo

Captain
64 Badges
May 9, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
I really hope the next flavour-pack won't be just one culture/religion and more culture-group and their region-focused. Like a celtic/insular pack or a baltic pack or a hungarian pack.

That said, I really like the Norse Lords (and they were a large culture in the game), but I would love to see the other ones more compact.

• 2Like
Reactions:

noknok

Second Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2018
I wish ck3 was more fun to play when focused on just a very limited locale.

If you jump into a game as a count in for example småland or some other region like that it would be nice to be able to play a long campaign and have super quality deep fun never even looking outside that locale. Not just go out raiding.

To me it seems when you start out as a small time count in one of those places you are too focused on stuff outside the borders of your realm.

Perhaps some sort of DLC that added far more depth and just keeping things local would be fun. It might even allow you to play a landless character like Robin Hood if it was cleverly made... that would be fun yeah?

• 7Like
Reactions:

noknok

Second Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2018
I wish PDX would put all their devs and content people onto pivoting CK3 into a Robin Hood simulator where you just play in one county. change the splash screen and change the name to CK3:Robin Hood.

I can say with certainty that any dislikes on this post will just be from bots and not real people as it is inconceivable that anyone would not want to play a campaign as Robin Hood.

• 7Haha
Reactions:

Murray Rothbard

Second Lieutenant
37 Badges
Jan 17, 2017
  • Magicka
  • Lead and Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris
When are we getting another bugfix? I see there are a large number of confirmed bugs, and they keep piling up. I assume bugfixing is a priority yes? Surely it will be the priority since numerous bugs reduce the desire of the playbase to engage with the game. I am confident PDX is focused on BUG FIXING and not DEVELOPING NEW DLC FOR MONEY so can we get a timeframe on this?

• 4Like
Reactions:

n0cturn4l

Cyborg
54 Badges
Feb 14, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
When are we getting another bugfix? I see there are a large number of confirmed bugs, and they keep piling up. I assume bugfixing is a priority yes? Surely it will be the priority since numerous bugs reduce the desire of the playbase to engage with the game. I am confident PDX is focused on BUG FIXING and not DEVELOPING NEW DLC FOR MONEY so can we get a timeframe on this?
Considering the next DLC is not gonna drop anytime soon, we should get a 1.3.2 as soon as possible, I'm currently holding off a few specific campaigns due to bugs.

• 2Like
Reactions:

RegularJoe

Private
30 Badges
Nov 15, 2018
  • Majesty 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings II
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
Please oh PLEASE! add the ability to raise men-at-arms only or your own personal retinue! Constantly having to click through dozens of stacks of levies and or knights just to sort them into a men-at-arms stack is the only thing I now dread about going to war with someone. I've even created a petition for you to look at