CK3: The Royal Court - The Vision

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been thinking, and I definitely think there should be *some* sort of court for the tribals.

The courts of the Welsh and Irish tribals are famous in the mythologies and "histories" of the period; the moots and things of the pre-feudal Norse and Saxons are also famous, and some still have traceable decendants today (allbeit in token or changed form).

Where would Beowulf be without the court of the King of the Geats?

It would be an opportunity for elective tribal societies (Tanistry, Scandinavian Elective, Saxon elctive) to meet for the election of a new king.

• 4Like
Reactions:
very surprising, definitely not what I expected. I'm very interested if the throneroom is actually walkable or a 3D room explorable ala point-and-click games.
This is exactly what makes me nervous about Royal Court. Maybe it's my ttrpg showing, but I preferred this kind of stuff left to my own imagination. Unpopular opinion, but still my own.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've been thinking, and I definitely think there should be *some* sort of court for the tribals.

The courts of the Welsh and Irish tribals are famous in the mythologies and "histories" of the period; the moots and things of the pre-feudal Norse and Saxons are also famous, and some still have traceable decendants today (allbeit in token or changed form).

It would be an opportunity for elective tribal societies (Tanistry, Scandinavian Elective, Saxon elctive) to meet for the election of a new king.
Seeing as election isn't finalized until the current ruler dies this would be an awesome feature, add in a surprise last second swap and the paths your story could go would be amazing

Yes!! Having meetings to elect the next King could be awesome! What if someone knows a secret of the probable next King and they Bring this up in the meeting, causing outrage and making them go with someone else. Could be awesome.

Hey guys, I am not sure if this was alraedy asked. But do you think that with the new update we can expect to see some brand new cultures?
Are there any specific cultures you are looking for? It's quite possible they could add some that are missing, but I think the focus is more on letting the players and AI merge and split cultures.

Are there any specific cultures you are looking for? It's quite possible they could add some that are missing, but I think the focus is more on letting the players and AI merge and split cultures.
Hiberno-Norse is one that comes to mind.

Maybe Anglo-Norse (with reduced penalties) for the area around York if the invasion gets established - although that might be adequately dealt with by the culture drift and hybridisation mechanics.

Maybe (and entirely speculatively) we might get some more granularity in areas that are too culturally similar - I know people have previously complained about "such and such a region" having the culture of their neighbour culture who oppressed them for a few centuries on a few occasions, or having their culture lumped in with their neighbours.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hiberno-Norse is one that comes to mind.

Maybe Anglo-Norse (with reduced penalties) for the area around York if the invasion gets established - although that might be adequately dealt with by the culture drift and hybridisation mechanics.
They certainly won't add those as a separate cultures when creation of them will be one of the simplest example of dlc culture features work

Reactions:
Yeah, melting pot cultures are extremely unlikely to be added as that's what the mechanic is for. That said, it's possible they may pick a couple of the more "important" real melting pot cultures and implement them directly outside of the mechanic in order to get a more realistic result, but it's questionable whether they'd do that. Mostly that would be for melting pots that are created from some kind of events/decisions rather than just taking over land in multiple cultural areas of the game.

Reactions:
The holy places mechanics is criticized enough, especially dependence of reformation/head creation on holy places. Doing the same for cultures is not a good idea.
I don't think of the same mechanics. While holy places are fixed and usually scattered through the map, and sometimes controlled by non-same-religious rulers, therefore extensive conquering is required to shape your religion which is quite insane if you control all of the provinces of the faith. A cultural center is always one of the provinces of the given culture, and it is dynamic - it could be changed by culture conversion or by higher "cultural development" in another province. If you want to "reform" your culture you must be the cultural head and must control the cultural center (either by conquering the center or developing another province or culture-converting a more developed province with another culture).

The result could be a not so war-centered rivalry between rulers of the same culture.

Reactions:
I don't think of the same mechanics. While holy places are fixed and usually scattered through the map, and sometimes controlled by non-same-religious rulers, therefore extensive conquering is required to shape your religion which is quite insane if you control all of the provinces of the faith. A cultural center is always one of the provinces of the given culture, and it is dynamic - it could be changed by culture conversion or by higher "cultural development" in another province. If you want to "reform" your culture you must be the cultural head and must control the cultural center (either by conquering the center or developing another province or culture-converting a more developed province with another culture).

The result could be a not so war-centered rivalry between rulers of the same culture.
That's better but still... why, just why?

Reactions:
Why no Commander or Captain of the Guard in minor titles? And there used be a mod that allowed the divestment of small parcels of land or estates for noble peerage {sir/lord or madam/lady) they would also receive a small stipend which accounted from your own treasury and the size of the estate given {small, moderate, or large}.

Will private horses/steeds in a stable or a menagerie make an appearance now? This could tie in with quest to parts of the world to capture these animals personally or by proxy. Also allows for the use of another minor position or the improvement of the keeper of the stables.

Well, initially I thought about the Russian region of the game. All tribes there are simply considered "Russian" whereas in reality the region was more culturally diverse than that, especially at the earliest start. I just want to see more Eastern Slavic cultures.

Reactions:
Well, initially I thought about the Russian region of the game. All tribes there are simply considered "Russian" whereas in reality the region was more culturally diverse than that, especially at the earliest start. I just want to see more Eastern Slavic cultures.
Some of the territory should still be Finno-Ugric, probably, but as pertains to East Slavic cultures themselves, two (one for Pskov-Novgorod culture which could be called Krivichi or Ilmenian and one for the "Southern Russian") would be enough. Reflecting each of the tribes mentioned in Chronicles would be a bad idea.

Reactions:
Will there be attempted exploration of the following: 1) If you are going to make it harder for larger factions to make quick conquests and forcing a larger need to be better consolidated than make it easier to be able to quickly change the succession/inheritance laws in order to be able to easily quickly pass on the on the entire monarchial/imperial realm upon a single successor since how it is currently it would take 200 years or more to do so because of cultural innovations and yet by then not only would their be no longer much of land to pass on to any sort of succesors but also not much in successors any ways due to your royal line of successors to pass on your throne and inheritable estates forcing particular players to prefer as quick conquests as possible to be able to become as big/major as super power as possible in order to be able to rival that of the historical entire Mongolian Empire with its entire hiarchy of Khans all the way to the top Great Khan.
2) Couldn't the ruler character designer be realistically enhanced with the ability to have a complex individual detailed inheritable genetic/epigenetic physical appearance traits of gradual aging such as losing all of her hair(gradual receding hair line) from gradually growing older to eventually an extreme old age after they grey and whitening. And gradual accumulation of Age Warts, Age Spots, Age related Age Sagging and Age lines/Age Wrinkles, Age Stretch Marks. Similarly to how the Crusader Kings 3 ruler designer have it done for the ears, eyes, mouth, and so on and so forth. I do appreciate what was done so far with the 3D Crusader Kings 3 character ruler designer aspect but I personally think that it still could use some working on.
I forgot to mention varicose veins, arthritis, osteoporosis, cataracts, Cellulite, and wrinkled hands and feet.

3) The crusader kings 3 Royal Court expansion with hybrid subcultures of overall greater main cultures could potentially work well with Time travelers from the future contributing to extremely more advanced society/innovations by the time of their time period in the new timeline gameplay. Or even exteresterial civilizations contributing to the boost in the evolution of earth human society/innovation gameplay or the combination of the two gameplays. 4) There were players that viewed that mortality rates to low and character/ruler lengths of longevity to long on Crusader Kings 3 to be historically accurate however it seems to me that they are missing/ignoring other historical facts such as such factors were also greatly affected by the overall main culture and even the hybrid/none hybrid subcultures choice of the level of physical active or inactive lifestyle, the kind of lifestyle dietary liquid and food consumption lifestyle. The level of level of mental active or inactive lifestyle. The level of spiritual/religious/philosophical active or inactive lifestyle.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Will there be attempted exploration of the following: 1) If you are going to make it harder for larger factions to make quick conquests and forcing a larger need to be better consolidated than make it easier to be able to quickly change the succession/inheritance laws in order to be able to easily quickly pass on the on the entire monarchial/imperial realm upon a single successor since how it is currently it would take 200 years or more to do so because of cultural innovations and yet by then not only would their be no longer much of land to pass on to any sort of succesors but also not much in successors any ways due to your royal line of successors to pass on your throne and inheritable estates forcing particular players to prefer as quick conquests as possible to be able to become as big/major as super power as possible in order to be able to rival that of the historical entire Mongolian Empire with its entire hiarchy of Khans all the way to the top Great Khan.
2) Couldn't the ruler character designer be realistically enhanced with the ability to have a complex individual detailed inheritable genetic/epigenetic physical appearance traits of gradual aging such as losing all of her hair(gradual receding hair line) from gradually growing older to eventually an extreme old age after they grey and whitening. And gradual accumulation of Age Warts, Age Spots, Age related Age Sagging and Age lines/Age Wrinkles, Age Stretch Marks. Similarly to how the Crusader Kings 3 ruler designer have it done for the ears, eyes, mouth, and so on and so forth. I do appreciate what was done so far with the 3D Crusader Kings 3 character ruler designer aspect but I personally think that it still could use some working on.
I forgot to mention varicose veins, arthritis, osteoporosis, cataracts, Cellulite, and wrinkled hands and feet.

3) The crusader kings 3 Royal Court expansion with hybrid subcultures of overall greater main cultures could potentially work well with Time travelers from the future contributing to extremely more advanced society/innovations by the time of their time period in the new timeline gameplay. Or even exteresterial civilizations contributing to the boost in the evolution of earth human society/innovation gameplay or the combination of the two gameplays. 4) There were players that viewed that mortality rates to low and character/ruler lengths of longevity to long on Crusader Kings 3 to be historically accurate however it seems to me that they are missing/ignoring other historical facts such as such factors were also greatly affected by the overall main culture and even the hybrid/none hybrid subcultures choice of the level of physical active or inactive lifestyle, the kind of lifestyle dietary liquid and food consumption lifestyle. The level of level of mental active or inactive lifestyle. The level of spiritual/religious/philosophical active or inactive lifestyle.
1) just do what happened historically and bring land back in the core dynasty by conquest if/when it falls out of the hands of the immediate core.

Or use the "disinherit" button on sons who are too rebellious/outrageous enough to attract your ire.

Getting to *normal* partition is the big goal as it stops things breaking up entirely.

2) Not really. The aging functions are baked into other parts of the features, so that the aging factors are already tied into choices that can be made. There's a practical limit to how much detail can be added, considering how many characters it has to service at once.

3) Interesting mod idea, but nothing to do with core gameplay.

4) Not sure what you want here. Average lifespans are held down enormously in this era by the relatively high child mortality, but that's kind of taken into account by reduced birth rates so as not to have dozens of dead babies littering everyone's character sheets. Once you got out of childhood, life expectancy became a lot closer to modern estimates. Lifestyles also already have massive impact on your health - be obese and stressed, and you'll tend to die younger; active lifestyles (hunting etc) tends to have you not gain weight as quickly, and going to continual feasts makes you gain weight a lot more quickly. Temperate should help with this. There's also a decision to lose weight.

Spiritual/religious/philosophical lifestyle won't directly make you more or less healthy or live longer - it's the impacts these have elsewhere that would do it, so it shouldn't be tied to spiritual or religious factors directly.

Reactions:
1) just do what happened historically and bring land back in the core dynasty by conquest if/when it falls out of the hands of the immediate core.

Or use the "disinherit" button on sons who are too rebellious/outrageous enough to attract your ire.

Getting to *normal* partition is the big goal as it stops things breaking up entirely.

2) Not really. The aging functions are baked into other parts of the features, so that the aging factors are already tied into choices that can be made. There's a practical limit to how much detail can be added, considering how many characters it has to service at once.

3) Interesting mod idea, but nothing to do with core gameplay.

4) Not sure what you want here. Average lifespans are held down enormously in this era by the relatively high child mortality, but that's kind of taken into account by reduced birth rates so as not to have dozens of dead babies littering everyone's character sheets. Once you got out of childhood, life expectancy became a lot closer to modern estimates. Lifestyles also already have massive impact on your health - be obese and stressed, and you'll tend to die younger; active lifestyles (hunting etc) tends to have you not gain weight as quickly, and going to continual feasts makes you gain weight a lot more quickly. Temperate should help with this. There's also a decision to lose weight.

Spiritual/religious/philosophical lifestyle won't directly make you more or less healthy or live longer - it's the impacts these have elsewhere that would do it, so it shouldn't be tied to spiritual or religious factors directly.
1, 2, 3) I will wait and see what they do decide to do they may figure out a surprising solution to some of the difficulties that you had pointed out in fact with the gradual aging process detail aspects their has been some mods that provided some extra facial and partial whole body aging genetic traits.
4) Actually there has been plenty of longevity lifestyle research that in adjacent to dietary consumption and active activity lifestyle the addition Spiritual/religious/philosophical lifestyle do in fact affect a individual person's health and longevity. I would recommend you to check out the Blue Zones longevity research. I tried providing internet links but it was considered as Spam so you might have to Google it yourself or the same would be for anyone else.

Last edited:
1, 2, 3) I will wait and see what they do decide to do they may figure out a surprising solution to some of the difficulties that you had pointed out in fact with the gradual aging process detail aspects their has been some mods that provided some extra facial and partial whole body aging genetic traits.
4) Actually there has been plenty of longevity lifestyle research that in adjacent to dietary consumption and active activity lifestyle the addition Spiritual/religious/philosophical lifestyle do in fact affect a individual person's health and longevity. I would recommend you to check out the Blue Zones longevity research. I tried providing internet links but it was considered as Spam so you might have to Google it yourself or the same would be for anyone else.
4)Like I say, it's the impacts that the lifestyle has on other aspects - how stressed you are, how you react to dailly life etc. Or whether you refrain from certain nutrition or medical practices. It's not the *actual* fact of being spiritual etc, it's how that causes other things to change.

Basically you couldn't realistically have "Character is Spiritual -X% chance of death or disease" because it varies so much depending on what else it causes you to do.

• 1Like
Reactions:
4)Like I say, it's the impacts that the lifestyle has on other aspects - how stressed you are, how you react to dailly life etc. Or whether you refrain from certain nutrition or medical practices. It's not the *actual* fact of being spiritual etc, it's how that causes other things to change.

Basically you couldn't realistically have "Character is Spiritual -X% chance of death or disease" because it varies so much depending on what else it causes you to do.
We have the trait Zealous, which is not that different in concept.