• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is hardly anything unique about people congregating. It's a global "thing".
No, I mean **actual** Things.

We have places in the North of England that are named for the Thing, although it's not an institution that survived as such. It even extends into modern Scotland, with places such as Dingwall.

Reactions:
Masters of Dust? Grit Masters? Hot Stuff? :D
Guardians of the Oasis
The Blazing Sun
An Ocean of Sand
Water is Life

Even just "Warriors of the Drylands" would sound better.

"Warriors of the Dry" sounds like a terrible ad campaign:

"Buy Acme Deodorant! Fight sweat with The Warriors of the Dry!"

• 3Haha
Reactions:
These look better than some of the previous ones displayed, mainly because these have some downsides/maluses to them. Cultural traditions should be unique and powerful, but they probably shouldn't just be straight bonuses with no downsides in most cases.

These traditions look incredible. Can't think of anything better to spice up custom cultures. One question tho: Where dat coat of arms designer? I've been waiting since last November!

Reactions:
Thank you for the people that offered me congratulations and also found my situation funny. At least now I have an heir. Granted, my demesne is extremely underwhelming :D

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Guardians of the Oasis
The Blazing Sun
An Ocean of Sand
Water is Life

Even just "Warriors of the Drylands" would sound better.

"Warriors of the Dry" sounds like a terrible ad campaign:

"Buy Acme Deodorant! Fight sweat with The Warriors of the Dry!"
He who controls the desert, controls the world. (Keepers of the Desert)

The desert is an ocean in which no oar is dipped. (The Dry Sea?)

• 3Like
Reactions:
In Ting-Meet's description it says "Certain Traits such as Brave, Gregarious, Genereous or Blademaster give Popular Opinion".

Why the use of the word "certain" here? Does it mean these traits can change? If not, it should read only what's included. It can cause confusion.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

I’ve got another set of traditions for you today. Do berar in mind that these are a work in progress and may be subject to change.

View attachment 743719
[Image of the Ting-Meet tradition]

That’s it for today!
Not sure about the others, but there's already events dealing with Ting-Meets. Don't know if they were added with the Northern Lords DLC or were always in the game, but Ting Meet events happen...
And what's the point this Cultural Tradition, since this seems to be a Scandinavian culture focus, and they already GET Scandinavian Elective (unless that's going to change).
Also, again, what's the point of having Popular Opinion (anything above 0 is ALMOST useless, even less useful than the useless Clan Vassal alliances). Having 0 Popular Opinion or 200 popular opinion does nothing but increase your vote power in the said Scandinavian Election. But, even assuming your liege HAS that, Development Growth also works.
So this Tradition looks like a lot of flavor, but right now, that's all it is. I guess it would be like spices. Some are necessary sure, but one can't live on spice alone. You need something actually substantive. Where's the meat and the vegetables?

Reactions:
Not sure about the others, but there's already events dealing with Ting-Meets. Don't know if they were added with the Northern Lords DLC or were always in the game, but Ting Meet events happen...
And what's the point this Cultural Tradition, since this seems to be a Scandinavian culture focus, and they already GET Scandinavian Elective (unless that's going to change).
Also, again, what's the point of having Popular Opinion (anything above 0 is ALMOST useless, even less useful than the useless Clan Vassal alliances). Having 0 Popular Opinion or 200 popular opinion does nothing but increase your vote power in the said Scandinavian Election. But, even assuming your liege HAS that, Development Growth also works.
So this Tradition looks like a lot of flavor, but right now, that's all it is. I guess it would be like spices. Some are necessary sure, but one can't live on spice alone. You need something actually substantive. Where's the meat and the vegetables?
The point is that they can move this out of the current innovations slot and make it a cultural tradition, so that you don't have to remain Northern European/Scandinavian to keep the tradition.

The odds are that Scandinavian cultures will lose the innovation and gain this tradition.

With regard to popular opinion, people are continually complaining in other threads about various peasant and populist revolts. Popular opinion is one of the counters to this, and of course being able to have what would otherwise be a negative popular opinion become positive is, at least marginally, useful. (Depending on if it applies to the character and all land under him; all land of a culture with this tradition regardless of the ruler; or if the ruler and land have to share the tradition.)

So, the meat will be "You can use this succession method that is only available through this tradition". As a bonus for getting a powerful succession early on you also get the minor boost of some popular opinion that might be enough to help keep newly conquered / unconverted land happy enough to not revolt whilst you work on it.

Reactions:
The point is that they can move this out of the current innovations slot and make it a cultural tradition, so that you don't have to remain Northern European/Scandinavian to keep the tradition.

The odds are that Scandinavian cultures will lose the innovation and gain this tradition.

With regard to popular opinion, people are continually complaining in other threads about various peasant and populist revolts. Popular opinion is one of the counters to this, and of course being able to have what would otherwise be a negative popular opinion become positive is, at least marginally, useful. (Depending on if it applies to the character and all land under him; all land of a culture with this tradition regardless of the ruler; or if the ruler and land have to share the tradition.)

So, the meat will be "You can use this succession method that is only available through this tradition". As a bonus for getting a powerful succession early on you also get the minor boost of some popular opinion that might be enough to help keep newly conquered / unconverted land happy enough to not revolt whilst you work on it.
This. Part of the new system seems to be to reduce the odds of people getting screwed by changing/converting culture in certain situations.

Were Malinke given Charitable just because of one exceptional figure's deeds?
I'd like to push this to the front a bit more. Branding culture X as Y because one prominent X figure was Y... kind of shallow reasoning? I don't know very much at all about Mali culture, so I'm hoping to be corrected on this. (I do know that charity is centric to Islam, but that reasoning doesn't work out either as it's anachronistic for pagan Malinke.)

Reactions:
Greetings!

I’ve got another set of traditis for you today. Do berar in mind that these are a work in progress and may be subject to change.

View attachment 743717
[Image of the Charitable cultural tradition]

View attachment 743718
[Image of the Parochialism tradition]

View attachment 743719

View attachment 743720
[Image of the Tribal Unity tradition]

View attachment 743721
[Image of the Warriors of the Dry tradition]

That’s it for today!

Greetings!

I’ve got another set of traditions for you today. Do berar in mind that these are a work in progress and may be subject to change.

View attachment 743717
[Image of the Charitable cultural tradition]

View attachment 743718
[Image of the Parochialism tradition]

View attachment 743719

View attachment 743720
[Image of the Tribal Unity tradition]

View attachment 743721
[Image of the Warriors of the Dry tradition]

That’s it for today!
hey devs when can the player expect a announcement for the release date for the new dlc ? also love the the new changes

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like to push this to the front a bit more. Branding culture X as Y because one prominent X figure was Y... kind of shallow reasoning? I don't know very much at all about Mali culture, so I'm hoping to be corrected on this. (I do know that charity is centric to Islam, but that reasoning doesn't work out either as it's anachronistic for pagan Malinke.)

My counterargument would be that looking at their cultural heroes (real or legendary) is a good way of judging what a culture values. E.g. the English respect plucky underdogs, and the Burmese respect mighty rulers. I don't think the game really warrants more in-depth reasoning than that.

Reactions: