• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Servancour

Game Designer
Paradox Staff
4 Badges
Mar 15, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Greetings!

I’ve got another set of traditions for you today. Do berar in mind that these are a work in progress and may be subject to change.

trad_charitable.png

[Image of the Charitable cultural tradition]

trad_parochialism.png

[Image of the Parochialism tradition]

trad_ting_meets.png

[Image of the Ting-Meet tradition]

trad_tribal_unity.png

[Image of the Tribal Unity tradition]

trad_warriors_of_the_dry.png

[Image of the Warriors of the Dry tradition]

That’s it for today!

• 130Like
  • 10Love
Reactions:
I love the idea of traditions making certain traits more common, this could really synergise well with making a custom religion with the same traits as virtues, thanks for the work !

Could there be a tradition that makes the cannibal trait more common ? More seriously : will we see traditions that are not used in any ingame culture, the way some elements for custom religions are not used by any ingame religion and are only for the player to play around with ?

Last edited:
  • 20Like
Reactions:
All of these sound interesting. I like that there seem to be a lot of traditions that do more with traits, like making them appear more often or giving them additional bonuses. I am also curious what the restrictions on traditions that grant succession laws are. I assume that ting-meets requires that you culture has at least a little bit of norse heritage in it?

Parochialism is particularly interesting to me, because right now there is no playable government form that can hold cities. As such, it seems to be pretty weak right now. However, this might change if we get playable republics again, so I hope that this is a sign of things to come in later DLCs. :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Very nice Paradox, thanks for sharing them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I noticed the Charitable tradition says the rulers of that culture will use the send gift interaction more often - I've never seen the AI use that interaction, so will all AI rulers use it and rulers with a Charitable culture use it more, or will it be limited to the latter?

• 8Like
Reactions:
Ting-meet is interesting because it mentions the rationale of geography and topography, a feature that is sorely missing and probably will be until a future game instalment. This is evident in it being represented in culture which is not constant and would change if the Scandinavians moved to say the Northern England where the geographical circumstance does not pose a concern for a more centralised government.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ting-meet is interesting because it mentions the rationale of geography and topography, a feature that is sorely missing and probably will be until a future game instalment. This is evident in it being represented in culture which is not constant and would change if the Scandinavians moved to say the Northern England where the geographical circumstance does not pose a concern for a more centralised government.

Well I mean I could see the practice continuing if the culture doesn't change, the geography created the tradition, but a change in geography wouldn't necessarily make it diseapear once it's part of the fabric of society. The change would be more fairly represented in your exemple as the norse culture merging with a british culture, and the Thing-Meet being lost in the process.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Well I mean I could see the practice continuing if the culture doesn't change, the geography created the tradition, but a change in geography wouldn't necessarily make it diseapear once it's part of the fabric of society. The change would be more fairly represented in your exemple as the norse culture merging with a british culture, and the Thing-Meet being lost in the process.
Well, the Normans didn't apply them. I think it's a mistake to say that Scandinavians at the time would go out of their way to have tings in foreign lands unless out of necessity. But again, it could obviously happen I'm not saying it couldn't, but realistically rulers consolidate their rule if they can.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have to say that I really love the Ting-Meet tradition. The fact that it allows a Scandinavian elective and certain traits giving a popular opinion which directly adds voting power for the election... I love it. Also, since there isn't really any indicator of which culture has it (Of course Norse have it) as it is with others e.g. Malinke having Charitable or Beduin having Tribal unity, does it mean it's locked for Norse/ Scandinavia region?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, the Normans didn't apply them. I think it's a mistake to say that Scandinavians at the time would go out of their way to have tings in foreign lands unless out of necessity. But again, it could obviously happen I'm not saying it couldn't, but realistically rulers consolidate their rule if they can.

That's why I said "If the culture doesn't change", the Normans shed most of their cultural pratices and adopted french culture pretty fast all thing considered. They kept concubines for a while, but even that was seen as weird by the times of William the Conquerer (hence why he was called "William the Bastard").

• 8Like
Reactions:
Hopefully this expansion comes out before my baby is born and I have a chance to play a little bit...

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
We still have them in the Isle of Man and Iceland!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Pontian/Byzantine Greek knights had the trait <Akritas> it was something like the border/customs police the same like the Roman Limes but we had it also as folk songs (heroe epos) and folk heroes like Digenis Akritas.​

Attachments

• akritas.jpg
    akritas.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Reactions:
On a second look - is that a new crown I spy?
trad_ting_meets.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings!

I’ve got another set of traditions for you today. Do berar in mind that these are a work in progress and may be subject to change.

View attachment 743717
[Image of the Charitable cultural tradition]

View attachment 743718
[Image of the Parochialism tradition]

View attachment 743719
[Image of the Ting-Meet tradition]

View attachment 743720
[Image of the Tribal Unity tradition]

View attachment 743721
[Image of the Warriors of the Dry tradition]

That’s it for today!

Thanks for this, lots of cool stuff!
Wouldn't it make more sense for Charitable to give Popular Opinion, rather than General Opinion? It seems like the starving masses would appreciate you giving to charity more than Lord Whatever the Rich.

• 8Like
Reactions: