• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is your court tutor's learning skill also impacting the chances that you learn the language? The tooltip makes it sound like it's the same learning challenge you currently get from hiring an instructor, which depends solely on your own skill.
Probably. There are already quite a few CK3 skill based challenges that take other things into account. I think labeling it a skill based challenge is to make it clear that skill is an important way you could increase your odds, but not necessarily the sole way. The alternative would be to mark it as the default challenge, which give no clear indication of how to increase your odds.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes I am aware.

It is however exactly the fact that culture names aren't the same as language names that is the reason it is problematic if at first glance you cannot clearly see which of the two is the language and which is the culture, hence my suggestion to rephrase it ever so slightly to eliminate the chance of confusing the two.

Sure for bedouin levantine and maghrebi it is obvious that arabic is their language. But only because those are well known. I for one would not be able to quickly separate any of the indian or southwest african culture names from their respective language names. And even Aramaic and Assyrian are already sort of blurring the lines with which one is clearly the language and which the culture.
Such a situation isn't that rare in real life. British, American and Australian all speak English. The official language of China is Mandarin and nearly all of South America speaks Spanish. I think you get my point.

I'm sure we will have tooltips to over upon to tell what is a language and what is a culture anyway. We already have this in many other localizations in-game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes I am aware.

It is however exactly the fact that culture names aren't the same as language names that is the reason it is problematic if at first glance you cannot clearly see which of the two is the language and which is the culture, hence my suggestion to rephrase it ever so slightly to eliminate the chance of confusing the two.

Sure for bedouin levantine and maghrebi it is obvious that arabic is their language. But only because those are well known. I for one would not be able to quickly separate any of the indian or southwest african culture names from their respective language names. And even Aramaic and Assyrian are already sort of blurring the lines with which one is clearly the language and which the culture.
It's pretty clear in the event text. "...improve relations with my Assyrian subjects", so Assyrian is the culture. Therefore, Aramaic is the language.

Reactions:
View attachment 741777
[Image of the updated Diplomacy Lifestyle event The Lure of Language]
The wording of this event is a bit unclear at first glance, since it refers both to "the Assyrian language" and "the Aramaic language," even though it should be clear to most upon further reflection.

Might I suggest changing the first mention to "the language of the Assyrians" ? :)

Reactions: