• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But I would love to be the Cup bearer, and be part of the plot... and "taste" the wine xD

As long as they add a contextual, 'The plot is moving forwards until the King stops suddenly, and motions forward for the Cupbearer to dutifully take the first taste.' If low Prowess, Intrigue, and not Paranoid, only option is "Oh no."

• 6Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I recall in CK2, there was a rare event for a cupbearer (if you somehow managed to get your liege to appoint you as one) to have a chance at poisoning the liege - this would rarely work out well for the cupbearer (as their involvement would be fairly obvious), but it was a nice reminder that you shouldn't put people who resent you too close to yourself. I hope there's similar events for the holders of the minor titles as well as for their lieges in CK3!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would prefer the developers to work on issues within the game, before creating more potential problems. A few examples are when trying to romance your own wife, having to fight duels for her hand (any noble would have just had the person locked up, or executed by the guards). Vassals not converting the land to their culture, etc, etc.

Reactions:
Ah yes, let's write everything in medieval English. In fact, let's go even further and let's write everything in medieval whatever the local language was!
Ha ha Ha ha... heh... cough... yes

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would prefer the developers to work on issues within the game, before creating more potential problems. A few examples are when trying to romance your own wife, having to fight duels for her hand (any noble would have just had the person locked up, or executed by the guards). Vassals not converting the land to their culture, etc, etc.
They are working on issues within the game. One of the issues that has been brought up is the lack of unique events making the game feel bland, so adding more events like these is fixing that issue while tying them to the new mechanics being introduced in the DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I get that it is normal. It just uses culture and language names in the exact same context which can cause confusion. when they say the Assyrian language for example they use the exact same phrasing as when it says Aramaic language.

This means that there can be confusion generated about whether the character is learning a language called Assyrian, or Aramaic, because in the first case it is unclear just from that sentence that instead of the Assyrian language being a language called Assyrian they instead mean the language spoken by characters of the Assyrian culture.
Oops. I overlooked what you wrote and what was written in the tooltip. The glance I gave it, it appeared to be the same word and so I thought you were just saying that it was repeating the same thing. I didn't notice the difference between culture and language. Sorry for the confusion on my part. I agree with you that it should either use the language name in both places or in some way signify that one is culture and one is language.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The term "hit the books" is largely American English from what I can tell. It's very weird to see relatively modern idioms used like that

Good to see the cup bearer finally getting some use. This was hinted at in CK2, but never implemented.
It kind of reminds me of T.H. White's "The Once and Future King" which, aside from being one of the defining modern works of Arthurian legend, also makes a huge point of noting that it uses modern terminology and descriptions to relay the meaning of medieval concepts in a way closer to what a contemporary person would perceive. It's an odd but fascinating read, and I feel a similar dynamic is low-key at work here as well.

As for the teaser: definitely a welcome change, especially if the minor titles are now more than just a blind chore to pass out!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Are those minor titles affected by gender law or is it possible to give them to evereyone you like?
Because in my games it is often the cause that my rulers wife gets the physician job (as they are somehow always the cleverest persons in my curt and they don't look like directly trying to kill me :D)

• 1Like
Reactions:
How will it be displayed which languages a character can speak?
Somekind of bilingual Trait which gives also a opinion modifier on other bilinguals or something like that would be amazing!

I don't need sleep... I NEED answers^^

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, until the creation of Norman-English, the Anglo-Saxons didn't even have the concept of rooms or a whole building dedicated to the storage of books. So the word Library wouldn't work.

Also the modern term is derived from old French, and never entered the English lexicon until said invasion.
How can you be sure of this?

Even in Ireland there were references to tech scripta a room or house of books from at least 9th century onwards.

Reactions:
Good Work Devs!
Keep going on so the game will be even greater
More content is always welcome

Reactions:
They are working on issues within the game. One of the issues that has been brought up is the lack of unique events making the game feel bland, so adding more events like these is fixing that issue while tying them to the new mechanics being introduced in the DLC.
I do not disagree that game feels bland at this time. However my point, is that there are still issues within the current court not working properly. Recently I conquered India, as I travelled north, some of the land was converted by my Chaplain and other parts of the land by my vassals Chaplains. My steward on the other hand, had to convert all the land by himself. This only seems to be an issue with your own land, as enemies convert land to their own culture all the time.

In my opinion these little issues should be fixed before adding more characters to the court.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, until the creation of Norman-English, the Anglo-Saxons didn't even have the concept of rooms or a whole building dedicated to the storage of books. So the word Library wouldn't work.

Also the modern term is derived from old French, and never entered the English lexicon until said invasion.

They would have come into contact with the concept of a room for books with the Irish missionaries during the Christianisation of Britain. They would also have likely been exposed to the concept by the Roman priests who came over in the following wave of Christianisation. This happening from at least the 600s onward.

They would (if they interacted with the monasteries) have met this idea there. Indeed, it appears that the Venerable Bede had access to an extensive library whilst composing his great works in the 8th century (3 centuries before the Normans even came along, much less the creation of Norman-English by merging the two languages and cultures).

With minimal searching I have also found several English-Anglo-Saxon dictionaries from the 1900s that have suitable and acceptable words for "library" in Anglo-Saxon. bóc-hord, bóc-gesamnung, bóc-gestreón, bóc-hús and so on.

Reactions:
Are those minor titles affected by gender law or is it possible to give them to evereyone you like?
Because in my games it is often the cause that my rulers wife gets the physician job (as they are somehow always the cleverest persons in my curt and they don't look like directly trying to kill me :D)
So she can doctor herself when she’s ill? I’ve never appointed a dynasty member (or their spouses) as physician because I figured they couldn’t treat themselves.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So she can doctor herself when she’s ill? I’ve never appointed a dynasty member (or their spouses) as physician because I figured they couldn’t treat themselves.
As long as they are not sadistic or melancholic, then family members are good for this position. The problem with those two traits, is that they tend to do self harm when working on themselves. Also never put a rival in the role, as they can end up doing some nasty stuff to you!

Reactions:
How bold and dangerous of you to assume your wife doesn't want to kill you.

• 3Haha
Reactions: