• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Servancour

Game Designer
Paradox Staff
4 Badges
Mar 15, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Hello everyone!

Welcome to the third summer teaser. This time around, I figured I would show you something quite different. As you may know already, minor titles will be returning alongside the upcoming expansion, Royal Court, allowing you to appoint a Court Jester, a Seneschal, and more! As you might expect, we’ll be adding a number of new events that make use of these appointed characters, but we are no strangers to also updating existing content if need be! We generally want features to be visible wherever it makes sense, and updating content can be a part of making old events have new and interesting options or additional variety and flavour.

Here are a few examples of events that we’ve updated (or added, as in the last example):

teaser3_01_rebuild_walls.jpg

[Image of the updated Martial Lifestyle event The Walls of a County]

teaser3_02_lure_of_language.jpg

[Image of the updated Diplomacy Lifestyle event The Lure of Language]

teaser3_03_murder_outcome.jpg

[Image of a potential murder outcome]

You can expect more details in a future Dev Diary!

• 160Like
  • 36Love
Reactions:
Great! Minor titles were nothing interesting in CK2, felt really flat. Most of the time I didn't even use them aside from regent maybe

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
The term "hit the books" is largely American English from what I can tell. It's very weird to see relatively modern idioms used like that

Good to see the cup bearer finally getting some use. This was hinted at in CK2, but never implemented.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Thanks devs.

Does that mean we can hire anyone with sufficient Learning to be Court Physicians, instead of having to rely on the sometimes questionable Learning of my Court Chaplains? Sometimes my Counts and Dukes have better Learning than the Court Chaplains...

Reactions:
Does that mean we can hire anyone with sufficient Learning to be Court Physicians, instead of having to rely on the sometimes questionable Learning of my Court Chaplains? Sometimes my Counts and Dukes have better Learning than the Court Chaplains...
What? You never were limited to your court chaplains, you could, if I recall right, appoint any of your adult courtiers as your Court Physician, or make use of the decision to invite one in. Counts and dukes sometimes have better Learning because they have access to lifestyle perks, and with learning education, they take perks from the Learning trees.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Correct. Assuming the character is present in your court that is. We'll go into exact details of how appointing a character and everything else works in the future.

• 10Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Correct. Assuming the character is present in your court that is. We'll go into exact details of how appointing a character and everything else works in the future.
Will I be able to hire one of my vassals?

Reactions:
The term "hit the books" is largely American English from what I can tell. It's very weird to see relatively modern idioms used like that

Ah yes, let's write everything in medieval English. In fact, let's go even further and let's write everything in medieval whatever the local language was!

• 28Haha
  • 6Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Ah yes, let's write everything in medieval English. In fact, let's go even further and let's write everything in medieval whatever the local language was!
I mean, if "hit the book" is indeed some trendy american expression, you're the one being overdramatic here.
And indeed it seems to be an informal expression in the US and Australia, according to the Cambridge dictionary. So yeah it wouldn't hurt to replace it with a more immersive, or "universal", expression.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’m guessing that something went wrong with this event’s dynamic localization (or whatever the proper term is for when names are inserted into the events), resulting in the extra “the” between “multicultural” and “Seljuk Empire”, at the start of the event‘a text?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ah yes, I should have expected complete nonsense like that. There is a difference between using modern English (which is of course necessary) and using excessively colloquial language. It's less medieval vs. modern and more formal vs informal. Language changes as a whole over time, but in some ways it's a lot more noticeable in the informal parts. It could just say something like "I will spend time in the library"

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thank you for taking time to revisit old events - add new options and spice them up a bit (spiced wine, heh heh).
Please do this more often!

Oh and don't forget to revisit the seduction even chain ...

• 2Like
Reactions:
So in that language learning event. I couldn't help but notice it looks a bit weird when the tooltip says:
I learn to speak the Assyrian language
to then a bit later state
You learn the Aramaic language

It might cause a bit of confusion so I would suggest here to change that first bit to:
"I learn to speak the language of the Assyrians" as opposed to "I learn to speak the Assyrian language"
To make it especially clear that you are in fact referring to the name of a culture here and the language isn't called Assyrian

EDIT: added some clarification at the end since people that quote me seem to entirely miss the point I'm trying to make

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Very nice. I really hope you rename the final event, though.... MurdER PreventER: Cup-BearER (emphasis mine) makes it sound really weird. Or perhaps it's less the repetitive ER and more the word Preventer used in this way that sounds odd. Either way, I think a better title would be good. Otherwise, very nice.

RE: "Hitting the books" -- As an American myself, I clearly understand the phrase and it's common here, but if it isn't common throughout the English-speaking world, which it probably isn't, then it's best to use a phrase that can be understood throughout the world. We don't need players asking "Why would beating books help?" :D

• 8Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions: