• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't really think there should be an egalitarian ethos at all: even the most welcoming and "just" rulers of the Medieval world were by no means tolerant of other cultures and religions. The most I could say of any of them was that they were pragmatic, and allowed their subjects to continue on with their own culture because forcing the peasants to change wouldn't be worth the cost.

Reactions:
Damn, having lived in and around the Basque country, I never would put them as ''egalitarian''.
I would have picked isolationist, since part of their identity over millennia has been to give everyone the middle finger and continue living according to their traditions and with their own language.

Well, this is Paradox, and this is 2021.
Either you're a racist nationalist homophobe or you're a paragon of virtue.

Reactions:
The most I could say of any of them was that they were pragmatic, and allowed their subjects to continue on with their own culture because forcing the peasants to change wouldn't be worth the cost.
1)It's not just about rulers, it's about peasants being more or less tolerant to ruler, too. 2)Yes, cosmopolitanism is usually pragmatic not pure-heart but if you follow "whatever culture, just give me money", you're effectively cosmopolitan. 3)"Egalitarian", as nearly everyone mentioned already, is a bad name.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't think 'Egalitarian' really fits the effects nor the description. Egalitarian would describe a culture that values equality of all members of society (not necessarily including those of other cultures. See France, USSR, and contemporary China). 'Cosmopolitan', 'Multicultural', or perhaps even 'Sophisticated' would fit better here as that does describe a culture that puts value in accepting and embracing other cultures and their differences. Sophisticated might not work as Courtly also has the connotation of sophistication

An Egalitarian ethos would probably remove the negatives from peasant leader, prestige hit from marrying a person of a lower status, lower relations with cultures of other ethos, most especially the Courtly ethos as that seems to be inherently elitist ('a place for everyone and everyone in their place'), enable equal male-female inheritance, and perhaps lower prestige gain in general.
100% agree with this post.

• 1Like
Reactions: