• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We have several different ways of unlocking traditions. Some will be available depending on your culture, or your heritage. Certain traditions have unique triggers, such as Mystical Ancestors, which is only available to cultures that start with it, so you will have to hybridize with an existing culture if you would like to have acquire it for your own culture.
Heritage isn't just based on language group, right? For example looking at the Viking Age where archaeology is the main source of information for Northern-Europe, we can see that certain Finnic populations/areas like most of Estonia and the Finnish part of Finland (which was just the southwest and south) were culturally indistinguishable from Eastern Scandinavia for several centuries already before the Viking Age.
Estonians were raiding Scandinavia and the Baltic Sea coasts already in the Roman Iron Age and if they won't have a seafaring heritage then it will be historically very inaccurate as it was the defining aspect of their culture.

Reactions:
50% casus belli cost on a level 1 martial lifestyle perk. Wars cost piety, but the combat therein can also grant piety. A pilgrimage every 15 years can give +600 piety in one go. And it's possible to pick up common clusters of piety here or there that add up all together. Gonna be some pretty smooth kingdom-level conquests.

Fervor loss doesn't mean much either. It dips from holy wars, then bounces back up either whenever the heresy fires or when good priests get their headpats. Actually converting the heathen lands I mass-conquer, even without infinite kingdom holy wars, is a non-issue since at most you risk an easy peasant revolt, if they even hit enough military power to fire.
A7GO3vm.jpg

Look upon the piety I gain from a battle in an offensive holy war of my own; behold and see that it is none.

Bellum Justum will certainly help in affording multiple wars (in terms of piety and prestige, anyhow) - that's what it's supposed to do. The highest piety gain from pilgrimages are from the very long ones, which are fairly expensive, particularly in early game when you haven't had the chance to fully build up your economy, and doubly so when you're waging large scale wars every opportunity you get - war costs money, too, and a fair bit of it. If you do manage to do both, wage kingdom level holy wars every chance you get and go on very long pilgrimages, I find it unlikely that you'll afford to improve your demesne as well. With your piety going to wars, you can't ask your head of faith for money, either.

And you do realize, the more land you rapidly conquer, the more powerful revolts become - it is not made easier by the ability to wage multiple kingdom-level holy wars, quite contrary. And even if these wars are simple to deal with, they cost you - both for the upkeep of your armies, and for the loss of levies and tax due to reduced control. With hostile land, your vassals will acquiescent to peasant revolts, and enter a death spiral where their productivity towards you nears zero. And populist revolts encompassing all of your recently conquered territory will fire while you're busy fighting yet another kingdom-level holy war, stretching your armies thin.

I am not saying it's impossible to wage multiple kingdom level wars with one character with this tradition - that would make the tradition almost entirely pointless - but it's not trivial either, it comes with opportunity costs, and the risks of overextension.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A7GO3vm.jpg

Look upon the piety I gain from a battle in an offensive holy war of my own; behold and see that it is none.
Yeah in any given fight. But sometimes you get piety.

Sorry but once you're at the point where youre a multi-kingdom empire with the capacity to add more kingdoms several times in your own lifetime, the grumpy peasants just don't matter. Either the realm is so big that they won't trigger revolt, or the revolt that does trigger isn't a major threat to your MAAs and knights, or you've placed a governor of their religion as your vassal so that they're satisfied.

Compared to being able to launch multiple kingdom holy wars in your lifetime, and at an earlier level of devotion, it's a non-issue.

Overextension simply does not exist in CK3. It only encourages and expects constant expansion in every mechanic.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Sorry but once you're at the point where youre a multi-kingdom empire with the capacity to add more kingdoms several times in your own lifetime, the grumpy peasants just don't matter. Either the realm is so big that they won't trigger revolt, or the revolt that does trigger isn't a major threat to your MAAs and knights, or you've placed a governor of their religion as your vassal so that they're satisfied.

Compared to being able to launch multiple kingdom holy wars in your lifetime, and at an earlier level of devotion, it's a non-issue.

Overextension simply does not exist in CK3. It only encourages and expects constant expansion in every mechanic.
Did you forget we were talking about early game? At the point you're talking about, the whole point is moot as you have little meaningful gain in such conquest other than just painting the map.

EDIT: And to reiterate: you don't get piety from your own offensive holy wars, you get devotion. You cannot fund the prestige or piety for your offensive wars with offensive wars.

• 3Like
Reactions:
And if all cultures will receive a unique tradition, I appreciate it must be quite a difficult task thinking of what to create.
They certainly won't and that Stalwart is certainly not unique for Croatians. I'd imagine most locals in the Baltics will get it to represent a struggle against Christianization and crusades

Reactions:
To clarify:

You never get piety from your own wars. You only get piety from incidental battles against non-war opponents: raiders (either as a raider fighting defenders or as a defender fighting raiders), or non-war participants (vassal stacks, or other stacks that are hostile to you but not part of your war, such as if your enemy is also fighting another war).

Ironically, you'll probably want to go heavily into the theology perk with every ruler (after a brief dip into martial lifestyle to pick up bellum justum) for the base +1/month and the additional perk-given modifiers, rather than martial lifestyles, if you want to get much use out of multiple kingdom-level holy wars. Fortunately learning perks tend to be reasonably useful in general.

Reactions:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Looks exciting!!~

Reactions:
Greetings!

As promised, here is the first of what we like to call “summer teasers”. These will be kept fairly small in scope while we enjoy our summer vacation. Today, we’ll have a small showcase of a few traditions that you’ll be able to pick up with the upcoming overhaul for cultures. Remember that what you see is a work in progress, and may be subject to change before release.

View attachment 737726
[Image of the By the Sword tradition]

View attachment 737727
[Image of the Collective Lands tradition]

View attachment 737728
[Image of the Isolationist tradition]

View attachment 737729
[Image of the Mystical Ancestors tradition]

View attachment 737730
[Image of the Stalwart Defenders tradition]

View attachment 737731
[Image of the Staunch Traditionalists tradition]

We’ll be back with proper Dev Diaries sometime in August!
Culture suggestion for Norse: Shield Maiden & Longship/Raiding tradition. i hate it when i go fuedal or go culture split happens and my badass women cannot become shieldmaidens anymore. of when im a warlord who declare war on anyone in sight (warmonger) but am too "cultured" to raid.

Reactions:
It might not be quite as easy as it appears, particularly in early game - each of those holy wars will still have their piety cost, and the tradition comes with a penalty to piety gain. With each kingdom level holy war being 750 piety, or 600 with Armed Pilgrimages, coughing up enough for 5 or 6 of those in early game might be a struggle. In addition, each successful kingdom level holy war tanks fervor by 5 and boost the losing faith fervor by 10 - meaning you now have a lot of very difficult to convert land that really doesn't like you, and chances are you'll also have to deal with heresies popping up in counties of your own faith.
I have to agree with your statement. I also forgot about the piety gain penalty. However, I still think there should be a limit, for example, 3 holy wars would be more than enough in my opinion.

Culture suggestion for Norse: Shield Maiden & Longship/Raiding tradition. i hate it when i go fuedal or go culture split happens and my badass women cannot become shieldmaidens anymore. of when im a warlord who declare war on anyone in sight (warmonger) but am too "cultured" to raid.
Shield Maiden/Longship is fine (the latter is already an innovation), but raiding is already overpowered, and making it so that some cultures can use it as a feudal and some can't would mean everyone would be scrambling to hybridize with Norse.

There's a reason that it is currently restricted to tribals and unreformed, and it's a big part of why tribals are honestly stronger than feudals for most of the game.

Reactions:
I understand most of it but why does collective land grant you a boost on development of 20% and decreases control of 20%. Shouldn't it be reversed? If I think about countries with collective lands like the udssr, they had full control over those lands but often the development of those was slower!

I understand most of it but why does collective land grant you a boost on development of 20% and decreases control of 20%. Shouldn't it be reversed? If I think about countries with collective lands like the udssr, they had full control over those lands but often the development of those was slower!
With the collective land, land is owned by the commoners working it, with the monarchs above being able to exert less control over them. The commoners, on the other hand, are more able to invest their wealth into improving their status, resulting in higher development growth. This is not a state owning land and the people working it, this is the concept of the people as a collective owning the land they work - but as a monarch, this means you have less complete ownership of that land (and the people).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I interpret it as the contrast is not "private property" vs. "communism," it's "local peasants control and profit from their local land" vs. "local people are serfs working for their (probably mostly absentee) lord, who owns the land." The former have an incentive to actually do their best to invest in and improve the land (because they benefit from the improvements, rather than their lord seeing most of the benefits), but at the same time the second one makes it easier to collect taxes/levies from the land (because it's his land, so he keeps the books and imposes the payments directly).

Remember that in game terms, development is the absolute potential productivity of the land, while control is the percentage of the current value of the land you as the lord actually receive; increasing development is doing things like building better roads, introducing better farming methods, etc., while increasing control is cracking down on tax evasion or conducting more accurate censuses. Peasants who directly benefit from their land have a stronger incentive to do the former, while more distant lords have a stronger incentive to do the latter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think your confusion stems from your anochronistic comparison with communism. Communism is a modernist philosophy which maintains that the state should have direct control about a lot of things. Communal ownership of land during the middle ages was a lot less centralized and was lived on a more local level. Think the commons in England (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_land).
A modernist ideology which might be a better comparison than communism would probably be something like anarcho-syndicalism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-syndicalism).

• 1Like
Reactions: