• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't help but wonder how the culture aspects of the update and the court aspects might mix. Would we get unique events based on cultural traditions and the like? Something like this would add a lot of flavour and make every playthrough more unique.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Maybe you have some mods. Just finished Jimena campaign few days ago when I conquered the whole Iberia and even some way south holy-warring both Ashari and Muwalladi with duchy and kingdom tier HW and no one ever joined
And my Jimena campaign had **every** Holy War I fought be against every independent Muslim in Iberia, plus a couple from across the straits.

And no. It's unmodded.

My Russia game fell over to being crushed in a Holy War I launched because most of the local faith joined in, meaning I was too weak to hold things together in the next war that came along.

They will be different factions. Just stack your armies and kill those levies peasants one by one
This works - unless other factions take the opportunity to act whilst you're busy with these ones.

So..? And I'm still pointing out that for situations where you have some hostile faith surrounding you, which happens often, this tradition is still OP. Just don't pick it when you have no other faiths around, that doesn't make it less strong
I'm rarely "surrounded" by hostile faiths. Maybe I'll be neighbouring them, but not usually for long before something happens to change the faith of the guys next door.

Don't get me wrong, it's strong, but it is limited by practicality.

I'll probably take it with cultures I build near religious borders, but it's not an absolute automatic pick because there's a reasonable chance it's not helpful to the culture as a whole when I start planting relatives on other thrones.

Reactions:
"By the sword" is overpowered. Unlimited kingdom-tier invastions, seriously? Claims become less and less relevant thanks to a lot of OP CBs, but now you can make them unlimited for your culture. And paired with Mystical Ancestors means a lot of basically unlimited Renown unless it's capped somehow

And it's only the first part of the Tradition, CB level requirement reduction makes it even stronger
I feel like it needs a bit of a nerf, yeah. Maybe the piety/prestige requirement is doubled or x1.5 with every kingdom-tier invasion? That way it still gives multiple kingdom-tier invasions with more of a drawback to that specifically. I'd say it's definitely powerful, but I'm not sure about overpowered.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"By the sword" is overpowered. Unlimited kingdom-tier invastions, seriously? Claims become less and less relevant thanks to a lot of OP CBs, but now you can make them unlimited for your culture. And paired with Mystical Ancestors means a lot of basically unlimited Renown unless it's capped somehow

And it's only the first part of the Tradition, CB level requirement reduction makes it even stronger
Good. I hate it when arbitrary limits get between me and map painting. And far too often small rulers have their realm split in many duchies rather than one and require multiple wars to unland. Multiple kingdoms happens, but far less often and typically there is more land to gain.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I like that this is showing a variety of good and bad for each tradition. It also shows how it can affect your gameplay (if you let it) when you're using different traditions, which helps to make each game a little more different. My hope is that divergence and hybridization will take long enough before you're able to do them in the beginning of the game that people will have to deal with the traditions they start with for at least a few generations. The talk here already suggests people are already looking to min-max their cultures, which I guess is fine if that is what they want, but at the same time it seems like there should be enough time before it's possible so that you don't have players "immediately" changing to all the "best" traditions. It should be similar to how it can take a while to create a new faith. At least there are a variety of requirements to "unlock" traditions so you have to do a bit of work to get some of them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am surprised that so many people seem to consider By the Sword overpowered. Right now, it is trivial to conquer the entire world with no holy wars at all. Just use conquest CB or fabricated claims instead. Considering the penalty to piety, I wouldn't pick this even for the purpose of a world conquest run, never mind the opportunity costs of picking another tradition instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:
All of you are talking about blobbing with By the Sword, meanwhile I'm surprised nobody is mentioning how Stalwart Defenders can easily win you wars while also allowing you to get double the prestige and gold from defensive wars.
Seriously, it gives you a straight up +5 defender advantage and a whopping 1/4 to your garrison size.

• 4Like
Reactions:
All of you are talking about blobbing with By the Sword, meanwhile I'm surprised nobody is mentioning how Stalwart Defenders can easily win you wars while also allowing you to get double the prestige and gold from defensive wars.
Seriously, it gives you a straight up +5 defender advantage and a whopping 1/4 to your garrison size.
Well I don't see a point in talking about it because I'm rarely in defensive wars, and when I am, those bonuses are either won't matter already or won't help enough

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Well I don't see a point in talking about it because I'm rarely in defensive wars, and when I am, those bonuses are either won't matter already or won't help enough
You don't need to be in a defensive war to make use of the defender advantage, just in a defensive battle, which happens very often if you know how to get the enemy to attack you.
To put this into perspective, imagine having half the bonus from a river crossing every time you defend, a bonus that stacks on top of other bonuses.

Reactions:
Good luck fabricating claims fast enough to cover all Kingdom's territory. One kingdom. Now this holy war CB will be unlimited. Also would need less Devotion levels

Kingdom-level conquest is one per lifetime just as default kingdom HW

Claim Fabrication gets pretty fast when you stack a bunch of bonuses to it. You can also use the learning perk to just buy Claims outright with Piety. Once you can press multiple county claims at once, you basically don't need the actual invasion CBs anymore. Why you would even want multiple of these in a single lifetime also isn't clear to me, unless you are doing a speedrun where you need to have the entire world conquered before 1050.

If people are complaining about how easy it is to conquer the world, you could always just... not conquer the world.

Reactions:
I also can't help but wonder how ethnoreligious cultures will function, namely the Israelite cultures. Will they have some sort of unique tradition that makes them less likely to convert to a different religion?
If you make it limited just to the Israelite cultures, have it so when converting them to Catholicism, they convert to Conversos instead?
Or maybe have this just apply that to county conversion as a unique Jewish mechanic that you can occasionally avoid depending on how good your realm priest's learning is, similar to how occasionally they can get you a higher tier claim.

Reactions:
Claim Fabrication gets pretty fast when you stack a bunch of bonuses to it. You can also use the learning perk to just buy Claims outright with Piety. Once you can press multiple county claims at once, you basically don't need the actual invasion CBs anymore. Why you would even want multiple of these in a single lifetime also isn't clear to me, unless you are doing a speedrun where you need to have the entire world conquered before 1050.
The only reason I can think that I'm likely to be using more than one kingdom level HW in most ruler's lifetimes is where there are multiple people with land in the target kingdom, but where they've got land in more than one duchy of that kingdom.

Then I might find it useful to target multiple enemies in succession to get the whole kingdom. But I could also do that with careful rotation of duchy HW, and then de jure wars once I can form the kingdom.

*Maybe* with a particularly long lived ruler I might want to push for more than one whole kingdom on separate occasions but it's rare.