• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AFluffyRageBear

Recruit
30 Badges
Oct 25, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Just bought CK3 and the game keeps crashing to desktop. It does not take long between 15 to 20 minutes before the game freezes and crashes.
It does not seem to be a CPU or GPU being at its limit. Nor a mods issue, since I get crashes even without mods.
I have updated all my drivers, verified my files and re-installed the game but sadly all to no avail.
Any suggestions or help?

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    3,1 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    864 bytes · Views: 0
  • error.log
    54,3 KB · Views: 0
  • steamsetting.txt
    2,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As you can see from that error log there is a problem in the video/graphics area.

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As you can see from that error log there is a problem in the video/graphics area.

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Here said file. Hope this helps locate the issue. Not to well versed in troubleshooting myself.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    152,6 KB · Views: 0
There are several LiveKernelEvent entries in there. They happen when the machine is forcibly downed or rebooted. Are you seeing those yourself? If so are they related to this game or something else?

The nVidia driver could stand updating so let's go a clean reinstall of it:

- uninstall it and all other nVidia software
- reboot
- install the latest from here:
- reboot again

Good luck!

That error log looks much better , we've definitely fixed a video driver issue.

I see a mod error though - you are doing all this testing with no mods at all enabled, is that right?

After it crashes can you start right up again? Or do you need to reboot, or wait a while, before the game will run?

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 10 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

I did add a mod indeed, my bad.
Removed all mods and did a clean install.
The game freezes, then crashes to desktop and I can immediately start it up again.
Game crashes in around 10 minutes now.

Temperatures prior to opening the game:
CPU: 35C
GPU1: 45C
GPU2: 36C

Temperatures during crash:
CPU: 35C
GPU1: 54C
GPU2: 47C

Attachments

• error.log
    2,4 KB · Views: 0
Not an overheating issue then.

But some of those video errors have come back, which is very disappointing. Not sure what to make of that, to be honest.

Let's try running the ame in other modes. Edit that pdx_settings.txt:
"renderer"={
version=0
value="DX11"
}
Please try DX9 and then OpenGL in that section - to be honest I'm not 100% sure what the right format for either is, if neither of them work I'll have to run this past my Manager in Paradox.

Apparently there is no DX9 option any more, but OpenGL has been tested to work. It is case sensitive so paste that in exactly.

Is performance acceptable?

Whether there is some obscure bug in the game vs DX11 that affects you, or some Windows issue here, is not at all clear to me I have to admit.

I've been having the exact same issue as the guy above. I tried what you did with his to fix it but that didn't work (actually worked worse) Attaching my dx diag.

EDIT: Added error log.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    82,1 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    243,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've been having the exact same issue as the guy above. I tried what you did with his to fix it but that didn't work (actually worked worse) Attaching my dx diag.

EDIT: Added error log.
In future please start your own thread - similar symptoms do not necessarily come from the same root cause.

Your problem comes from your nVidia driver:
Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket 1777952510989485488, type 5
Event Name: BEX64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: ck3.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 60d4415a
P4: nvoglv64.dll
and it is not up to date. Please try this:

- uninstall your nVidia driver and all other nVidia software
- reboot
- install the latest October 2021 from here:
- reboot again

Then test with a new unmodded campaign. Please us know if that helps or not.

In future please start your own thread - similar symptoms do not necessarily come from the same root cause.

Your problem comes from your nVidia driver:

and it is not up to date. Please try this:

- uninstall your nVidia driver and all other nVidia software
- reboot
- install the latest October 2021 from here:
- reboot again

Then test with a new unmodded campaign. Please us know if that helps or not.
My apologies - was trying not to spam the forum with multiple requests

Okay so i installed the drivers and everything seems to runs fine for the new campaign. My old campaign prior to the new driver update is still experiencing crash issues. I'm not sure if this is because it was started on the old driver or because it is late game (past 1400). Is there anyway that the old game will run smoothly or is it just kinda stuck like this?

EDIT: I've been able to reproduce the bug on the old campaign crashing by clicking into high loading tasks (Dynasty Tree) and in some cases the court tab due to number of prisoners. The old campaign was also not modded.

Attachments

• error.log
    14,7 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    15,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: