• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zala85

Private
7 Badges
Jul 11, 2021
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings III
Hello.

First off, love the game.
Downloaded via Steam about 1 week ago, at first all good no dramas. However, noticing an increasing amount of forced restarts, to the point that I can no longer play the game at all. Very frustrating. What is happening? During play my screen just flashes black and goes into a restart and I am back at my windows login screen. Computer is otherwise fine. This is not happening with any other game.

I got on the forums here and read some of the advice etc.
I updated my graphics driver, didn't seem to help.
I did a full delete and reinstall, started a new campaign and within 3 minutes - restart during play again.

Not sure what else to do and so really would like some help and advice.
I think these are all the files you are asking people to include? My error log file was empty and no exceptions file seen.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    101,5 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    875 bytes · Views: 0
I see you have Stellaris too, does it run okay?

There are a couple of crashes in that dxdiag in ck3.exe with a Windows error code c0000374, the associated data looks like some sort of Windows issue to me.

If you run the Windows update app does it find anything to update? If so do that and reboot.

If that doesn't help, Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after a few minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

And install and run the free utility Speccy. Send its output to a text file and attach that here please.

Stellaris fine no issue.

Windows all ok.

...I rang my buddy who works in IT and he suggested making sure it is a prioritised application or something?
To do this I did open task manager, went to the details tab and right clicked the CK3.exe and set priority from normal to real-time.
Also suggested going to ck3.ex, priorities, capability tab and ticking disable full-screen optimisations.

Touchwood, no crashes since then post those 2 changes and played for about 3hrs straight last night super exciting!

Not sure if it is going to happen again..if it does I will do as you suggest re: CPU temp and get back to you (the outflow from the case is nice and cool though)

Ok so followed your instructions.

Did a windows update, game still crashed post reboot.

Have downloaded speedfan

GPU temp. pre game 50C
GPU temp in game 68-70C

CPU temps not seen on speedfan app, had HD1 and HD0 that were about between 35-38C.

Speccy file attached, any help welcome, do you think its GPU temp?

Attachments

• speccy-textfile.txt
    164,8 KB · Views: 0
CPU temps not seen on speedfan app,
It should be there, but might show as say "core 1" or some other such phrasing. But from the temps in Speccy I suspect it will be okay. For the GPU temps 70c is getting up there but not quite to the level of causing crashes - it never ever gets to 80c or over?

If you search that Speccy file for Not Installed you'll see a long list of Windows updates "In Progress" going back to February. While I'm not 100% sure that is related to this game problem it definitely needs fixing! You could use this MS utility for that purpose:

If that doesn't help you may need profession Windows support help at that point.

I don't see any other potential causes of this problem in your files.

Really appreciate all your help, I am not that techy!

Have run the microsoft program you linked to and it went on to detect problems for some time but didn't find anything to fix automatically. I opened the speccy file and can see what you mean but none of them appears when running the program you suggested.

As a side note, I have been googling and it seems a known issue with my graphics card that the inbuilt graphic card fans don't kick in until the card is about 60C, but I downloaded MSI afterburner and am able to manually have the fans going on low all the time and over-ride them if need be when playing CK3 to 100% fan-age. I did this last night and had about 4 hrs with no restart with temp hovering 55-60C, but hard to say exactly what the issue is and if I was just lucky!

Thanks for your help ill try look into how to fix these other things in the speccy file.

Yeah, you don't want to run without all the latest Windows updates, as they patch many security holes.

Good luck!

Patcher didn't find anything to update, so I guess its all ok?
Does Speccy now find no "In Progress" updates to apply?

For what its worth, I have been experimenting and it seems to happen more often when I am at game speed 5 and zoom in/ out on something
If you have anything overclocked can you please try undoing that, while we work on this?

And are there any entries in the Windows Event Viewer in the few minutes before one of these black screens?

Speccy still reports things as not installed, but the windows updater and other program you hyperlinked didnt find anything to fix.

I dont have anything overclocked, I meant the in-game speed you can adjust with keys 1-5.

There's a bunch of stuff in the event viewer....under critical there are some here "kernel-power", event iD 41.
Could be that one? i'd need the game to crash again and see what comes up here...will see if I can get it to do that

was playing for about an hour and it just crashed into a restart. have looked at the event viewer you wrote about a few posts ago and it recorded a new critical event:
Some details below, I don't understand any of it. CK3 is the only game that is doing this. Hope you can help.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Log Name: System. Source: Kernel-Power. Event ID: 41. Level: Critical. User: SYSTEM.

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>8</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-07-17T11:25:38.5882086Z" />

<EventRecordID>11960</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>XX</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>

<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">5</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>

<Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>

<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">0</Data>

<Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

That's only saying that you had the restart, it doesn't say why. There was nothing else in the viewer in the few minutes before that?

crashed twice this morning within 10 seconds of loading the game i was playing last night (was able to play last night for about 3hrs no crash after having back to back crashes earlier in the day). however, today computer has a paradox crash window popping up instead of a full dump to reset so i have submitted those in.

Thanks, but that doesn't help us here as there's no way of connecting those submitted crashes to any particular user. And of course if this is not a game problem, as I suspect, there is nothing the devs can do about it anyway.

Interesting that the symptoms keep changing somewhat. That can point to a hardware problem.

Plus we have some Windows problem preventing all its updates from installing. A bit of a mess all round it seems!

You still have the fans running hard to keep the temps down, is that right? Even with that you might want to get that looked into, as it shouldn't be like that.

Do you have a source of Windows support to get the update issue looked into?

The updates that didn't install have been replaced by more recent updates, which have been installed - so I guess they will stay on the outstanding list but are no longer needed - I verified this on the Microsoft website.

The graphics card thing is a known issue with my card according to the internet.

This is the only game I have issues with.