CK3 has abnormally long load times, freezes within 5 minutes of the game opening

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Emil.sun

Recruit
35 Badges
Nov 12, 2021
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
My CK3 has been broken for a while, and freezes within 5 minutes of starting a game, has abnormally long initial load times, aswell as it not responding during initial load up (in which it's a black screen for a minute or more)

How do I fix this? I've reinstalled, checked integrity, clean reinstalled, made antivirus exception, etc but I still cannot play. I am trying to play with mods aswell.

My computer is plenty powerful (more powerful than my friend's, who has none of these issues) yet it still does this, so I think there might be a small thing somewhere messing everything up. Help is appreciated.

Please disable all mods while we work on this.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log

Please disable all mods while we work on this.

Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log
I did a clean reinstall of my graphics drivers, and now the game doesn't freeze while playing, however initial loading times are still much longer than they should be.

This game does take a long time to load normally. How long is it for you? Has it always been like that for you with this game?

Did you try the clean reinstall of the game?

This game does take a long time to load normally. How long is it for you? Has it always been like that for you with this game?

Did you try the clean reinstall of the game?
I don't know when it changed, but I remember originally with no mods it took 20ish seconds to load in, and didn't say "not responding" on a black screen before bringing it to a load screen. Now it takes well over a minute (up to 2 minutes) aswell as having the actual loading screen show up approx 5-10 seconds before it loads in, before that it's just a black screen, and yes I have done a clean reinstall

From hitting PLAY in our launcher to the main game menu took 2'50" on my iMac, 3'30" on my PC. So I'd say you're not doing too badly!

Yes, but in all honesty I lost track of which one. If you are really interested you could revert game versions in the Steam Betas tab.