• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

psychopie

Recruit
27 Badges
Oct 7, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hello,

I've been player quite intensively since launch. No problem so far. When I tried playing on Oct 5th, the launcher launched as usual, but after launching CK3 proper, BLACK screen. If I click anyway, it turns white and windows says CK3.exe is not responsive. I've let it simmer 1+ hour, no difference. Reboot, no difference. Reinstall. No difference. Seems there was an update recently, is it related? The last time I successfully played was on Oct 3rd.

Thank you for your help.

The game hasn't changed since 1.1.2 on 1 October - did you play okay between then and the 7th?

Please try these steps that some affected Gamepass users have found helped them:

AND make sure you are running the game from the beta Xbox app, not the Win 10 store app.

I have played a bit over the last few days. I was playing earlier today and the game stopped working. Time stopped progressing, but the UI was still functional. So I went to quit the game and it crashed, and ever since I have been unable to launch the game. I've followed many of the steps outlined in the threads you posted.

Same issue here - I've been playing fine since release and on October 5 this issue came out of nowhere. I was playing fine on October 4. It's occurring on two different PCs I have so I'm really wondering if it's a Gamepass service issue with some accounts?

Between October 4 and October 5 the only changes on my PC that are likely are Windows Defender definition updates, a Microsoft Store update and a Gaming Services Update (through the MS Store)

I start the game through the Xbox app which is no longer beta. The launcher starts, but after clicking Play the ck3.exe hangs and doesn't load. Windows reports it as not responding (and I've waited several minutes).

Things I've tried including those referenced by AndrewT:
- re-installed game
- wiped \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
- moved install to different drives
- tried a second PC (same Xbox account)
- disabled Windows Defender (via registry)
- deleted wgs folder
- reset and repaired "app" through Windows 10 settings -> Apps and Features

Logs attached. AndrewT I'd be happy to share more info or go through more thorough troubleshooting as this seems to be impacting more and more of us.

Attachments

• debug.log
    719 bytes · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    90,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    164 bytes · Views: 0
  • system.log
    632 bytes · Views: 0
Hi Andrew, I played fine up until Oct 3rd. I only tried to play again on the 5th and I couldn't and still can't. I tried everything the those 2 threads you linked, no luck.

There was a Xbox App update that got installed on my computer on Oct 5th. Since others on this thread are mentioning they've been playing fine up until now, it seems like it could be the culprit.

Note however that other games I've played on Xbox pass since I've been having problems with CK3 are working fine.

So today I updated my nvidia drivers to 456.71 and also had (yet another) Gaming Services update in the Microsoft Store.

I can run CK3 again. All my saved games are gone (due to my troubleshooting and not backing up local saves) but I can at least play now!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi Andrew, I played fine up until Oct 3rd. I only tried to play again on the 5th and I couldn't and still can't. I tried everything the those 2 threads you linked, no luck.

There was a Xbox App update that got installed on my computer on Oct 5th. Since others on this thread are mentioning they've been playing fine up until now, it seems like it could be the culprit.

Note however that other games I've played on Xbox pass since I've been having problems with CK3 are working fine.
Same issue here - I've been playing fine since release and on October 5 this issue came out of nowhere. I was playing fine on October 4. It's occurring on two different PCs I have so I'm really wondering if it's a Gamepass service issue with some accounts?

Between October 4 and October 5 the only changes on my PC that are likely are Windows Defender definition updates, a Microsoft Store update and a Gaming Services Update (through the MS Store)

I start the game through the Xbox app which is no longer beta. The launcher starts, but after clicking Play the ck3.exe hangs and doesn't load. Windows reports it as not responding (and I've waited several minutes).

Things I've tried including those referenced by AndrewT:
- re-installed game
- wiped \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III
- moved install to different drives
- tried a second PC (same Xbox account)
- disabled Windows Defender (via registry)
- deleted wgs folder
- reset and repaired "app" through Windows 10 settings -> Apps and Features

Logs attached. AndrewT I'd be happy to share more info or go through more thorough troubleshooting as this seems to be impacting more and more of us.
Can you both check for any updates to the Xbox app and any associated MS apps, AND update to the new nVidia driver 27.21.14.5671 released today please.

So today I updated my nvidia drivers to 456.71 and also had (yet another) Gaming Services update in the Microsoft Store.

I can run CK3 again. All my saved games are gone (due to my troubleshooting and not backing up local saves) but I can at least play now!

I also updated Gaming Services today and that resolved the issue. I can launch CK3.

I'd seen at least one other Gaming Services update since this outage started on October 5 and I'd been keeping it up to date, so it was "broken" for a couple of days.

I haven't updated my NVidia drivers yet - so it looks like that's unrelated.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can confirm this issue as well. But I was playing fine even around lunch today. NVidia drivers didn't help, but the Gaming Services update fixed it. Note that I had to update that app twice before it was done updating, so make sure you get it fully up-to-date.

For anybody not sure how to update that, go to the Microsoft Store (and if you don't know how to get there, you can click the start menu and type "store") and either click the down-arrow (in the upper-right) or click the menu (". . ." icon in the upper-right as well) and choose "Downloads and Updates".

Oddly, Stellaris worked just fine. It was only CK3 giving me trouble.

• 1Like
Reactions: