CK3 - Game keeps freezing within a couple minutes of play time

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm experiencing the same problem. On a Mac, it runs fine on medium settings but then (seemingly) randomly freezes. Sometimes during the game, sometimes in the start menu as well. My entire laptop freezes, the sound just keeps playing the same 'last second' over and over. I can't switch screens or do anything at that point except do a forced reboot.

I've tried all steps above (reinstalling, verifiying files, disabling ironman/cloud saves, lowering specs, windowed mode, lowest possible resolution). It might be that my laptop specs are not good enough even though the game runs fine when it runs. So I'm guessing something else is wrong, but it is hard to point out what exactly is causing the freeze.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm experiencing the same problem. On a Mac, it runs fine on medium settings but then (seemingly) randomly freezes. Sometimes during the game, sometimes in the start menu as well. My entire laptop freezes, the sound just keeps playing the same 'last second' over and over. I can't switch screens or do anything at that point except do a forced reboot.

I've tried all steps above (reinstalling, verifiying files, disabling ironman/cloud saves, lowering specs, windowed mode, lowest possible resolution). It might be that my laptop specs are not good enough even though the game runs fine when it runs. So I'm guessing something else is wrong, but it is hard to point out what exactly is causing the freeze.

I'm having the same issues as well, and I'm playing on an Imac with Catalina. I have tried all mentioned steps to try and resolve, but none of them have helped.

From what I understand it looks like a GPU issue. If you want me to translate the message in logs from Polish let me know
Try turning off Character SSAO in the game's settings menu. Let us know if that helps!

At best for me, I get to the menu screen with the three characters but the menu doesn't load. Sometimes, if I hover over where I presume the menu would be I hear a button noise but this is as far as I've got. I've tried all the fixes, but looking at the error logs there's an issue loading up the pixel buffer and shader state and I'm being told that:

'The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.'

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    82,8 KB · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    29,5 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    6,8 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    54,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    633 bytes · Views: 0
PSGE-2795
At best for me, I get to the menu screen with the three characters but the menu doesn't load. Sometimes, if I hover over where I presume the menu would be I hear a button noise but this is as far as I've got. I've tried all the fixes, but looking at the error logs there's an issue loading up the pixel buffer and shader state and I'm being told that:

'The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.'
Sorry about that, we have an investigation going on into this situation now. I'll add your post to that bug report.

Meantime you may as well update that old AMD driver, see if that helps:

And did you try the SSAO thing from post #24 above?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Edit Documents/paradox/ck3/pdx_settings.txt . Look for portraits_ssao and change it to =no

Good luck!

Unfortunately, it's not worked! Will have to wait to see what the investigation brings!
Sorry about that. Can we get your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt file too please?

Thank you! Passed on now.

Big question: is your GPU - indeed anything - overclocked? At least two users have found that reducing OCing on their GPU fixed this problem for them.

I'm having the same issues as well. I cant go more than a couple of minutes without the game freezing then crashing.

Its strange in that I bought the game a couple of days ago. Played it quite a lot & didn't have a single crash. Then today this problem started and now I can't go a few minutes without crashing. Have tried a clean reinstall and everything else suggested in this thread.

Attachments

• debug.log
    30,4 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    79 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,3 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    56,5 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,2 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    627 bytes · Views: 0
I'm having the same issues as well. I cant go more than a couple of minutes without the game freezing then crashing.

Its strange in that I bought the game a couple of days ago. Played it quite a lot & didn't have a single crash. Then today this problem started and now I can't go a few minutes without crashing. Have tried a clean reinstall and everything else suggested in this thread.
Is your GPU - indeed anything - overclocked? At least two users have found that reducing OCing on their GPU fixed this problem for them.