CK3 - Game keeps freezing within a couple minutes of play time

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

T1german1995

Recruit
55 Badges
Jan 9, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
Game keeps freezing after a couple minutes of play time, tried updating relevant drivers, disabling anti-virus and firewall, playing in a window and full screen, new games and loading previous saves, reinstalling the entire game. any help would be appreciated as I would very much like to play this game but right now it is nigh unplayable.

I have also tried leaving the frozen application running for over an hour to see if it would resolve itself to no avail.

Logs that might be relevant have been attached, let me know if anything else is needed

Attachments

• debug.log
    32,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,5 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    58,3 KB · Views: 0
  • setup.log
    38,5 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    627 bytes · Views: 0
Reactions:
Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

If those don't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log .

Sadly a complete reinstall as stated above did not solve the problem and ive been trying to play with all anti-virus applications and firewalls disabled just to try have as little interference as possible. the system log was attached above but I will attach it here again along with dxDiag

Attachments

• system.log
  • DxDiag.txt
    102,4 KB · Views: 0
What AV app do you have? I've just seen one report that Avast did exactly this to another user.

Have the same problem. Starts off running fast. Clicking through the tutorial it gets slower and slower. By the time I get to the select spouse part it has slowed to a crawl and then freezes. Can't do anything except hard reset my PC.

mine doesnt even have any slowdown, just breaks at what seems like random points, ive tried narrowing it down to certain events or actions but I havent been able to find anything

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is really random isn't it? Mine worked for an hour and a half last night, and then "boom". That was the longest play I had that far... I'm gonna get rid of my antivirus on my partitioned drive today and check again to see if that makes any difference...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Same problem here mate! And some people had related that on discord too. This problem don't happen if you are on normal mode game (not ironman), in this case, the game runs smoothly amazing. Apparently, the problem is on ironman mode, they need to fix it urgently. This bug, probably, is present on the autosave, i don't know, it's truly ruining my gameplay and fun.

I have a similiar issue - after about 5 min the game freezes completly. All the before-mentioned steps don't help. I've checked drivers, AV, screen resolution, full reinstall and still I can play only about 5 minutes and then the freeze happens

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've now seen reports of this happening in Ironman with cloud saves enabled. If you play non-Ironman with local saves does it work any better?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've now seen reports of this happening in Ironman with cloud saves enabled. If you play non-Ironman with local saves does it work any better?
My god, that was the problem ! Thanks mate, people needs to know this. The game runs perfect fast, it's just disable that cloud save on ironman.

10/10 support.

It doesn't work for me though. I am playing easy difficulty so Ironman is disabled. I've also tried disabling autosaves and V-Sync - doesn't help. I've read somewhere that my graphics card (GTX 1660) can have issues sometimes, so I've tried nvidia debug mode - still no success. One thing I've noticed (but don't know if it will be helpful) in the Nvidia panel, where they list your games with the option to optimize them, I can see all my games except CK3. I've verified the game files through steam and all seems to be fine - yet the game still freezes after about 5 minutes

It doesn't work for me though. I am playing easy difficulty so Ironman is disabled. I've also tried disabling autosaves and V-Sync - doesn't help. I've read somewhere that my graphics card (GTX 1660) can have issues sometimes, so I've tried nvidia debug mode - still no success. One thing I've noticed (but don't know if it will be helpful) in the Nvidia panel, where they list your games with the option to optimize them, I can see all my games except CK3. I've verified the game files through steam and all seems to be fine - yet the game still freezes after about 5 minutes
You don't mention trying local saves too - did you do that?

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach your Documents/Paradox/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox/CK3/logs/ folder, attach system.log , error.log

I'm not sure where is this setting - I've set autosave option to "No Autosave" but I don't know where to look for cloud vs local saves setting.
Here are the files

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    98,1 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    4,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
  • pdx_settings.txt
    3,2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Having the same issue. First night I got it crashed a couple of times a few hours apart. Last couple of days it’s more or less every 5 minutes apart from last night when it managed 40 mins. Doesn’t seem to be any pattern, it just crashes randomly to a black screen.
Tried AV, validating the files, playing offline, reducing graphics etc . It’s not on Ironman and it doesn’t seem to crash whilst auto saving. When it’s working there’s no issues at all, speed and graphics are fine on top settings.

• 1Like
Reactions: