Ck3 enters a state of unresponsiveness when loading saves

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doonyal

Corporal
92 Badges
Oct 1, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado

Information​

I have verifed my game files (Steam only)​

Yes

I have disabled all mods​

Yes

I am running the latest game update​

Yes

Required​

Summary​

Ck3 enters a state of unresponsiveness when loading saves

Description​

I can create new campaigns, however when choosing to load autosaves, ck3 enters the loading screen and then becomes unresponsive in windows, leading it to being closed. It seems that you can fix this issue by exiting to main menu/restarting the game and then loading the same autosaves which then works.

Tech support thread where i tested methods for fixing and the issue itself: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-has-to-load-anything.1585751/#post-28979926

Steps to reproduce​

1. Start a new campaign.
2. Play for at least 2 years (two yearly autosaves)
3. Try to load an autosave while in game.
4. Once the game reaches the loading screen, it will become unresponsive in windows.
5. The game is closed by windows.

Game Version​

Platform​

Windows

Additional Information​

Affected Feature​

• Crashes

Save Game​

Other Attachments​

• 7Like
Reactions:
Issue is still persisting.

From what i've seen with others who also have that issue, it appears to be something with the size of the save. Eventually the game just cant load it.

Reactions:
From what i can tell with the others who have the issue, it only started happening after 1.9 T&T (reports started popping up after 1.9 dropped). Did something with the saves change in that update?

Reactions:
I can't say if this is the same issue, but I discovered that when I have in the savegame folders saves created with different mods than those in the current playset, loading becomes incredibly sluggish. I solved the issue by moving to another folder on the PC all the saves created using different mods and it works, loading saves is fast again when they are created all in the same playset.

Reactions:
I can't say if this is the same issue, but I discovered that when I have in the savegame folders saves created with different mods than those in the current playset, loading becomes incredibly sluggish. I solved the issue by moving to another folder on the PC all the saves created using different mods and it works, loading saves is fast again when they are created all in the same playset.
I've had the issue in this report and clearing out saves from different mods did in fact fix the problem.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've had the issue in this report and clearing out saves from different mods did in fact fix the problem.
I'm happy to read that it worked for you as well :)
@Cassilda, you are a gentlewoman and a scholar! It worked great! :)

Interestingly enough, I deleted all my saves from another playset while loading the game, and at one point it told me it was unable to delete a file because it was being used by ck3.exe

I'm not sure why ck3.exe was using another save file than the one I was loading in the middle of it all, but it seems pretty clear that this is an issue caused by poor coding. :(

@Cassilda, you are a gentlewoman and a scholar! It worked great! :)
I'm happy my suggestion worked to solve the problem :)
Interestingly enough, I deleted all my saves from another playset while loading the game, and at one point it told me it was unable to delete a file because it was being used by ck3.exe
This one issue never happened to me, but if you were running the game while deleting, maybe that could be the reason. I usually close the game before deleting/moving old saves, because, strangely enough, I'm sure at least some of the PDX games still keep them "in list" if the game is not restarted.

I'm happy my suggestion worked to solve the problem :)

This one issue never happened to me, but if you were running the game while deleting, maybe that could be the reason. I usually close the game before deleting/moving old saves, because, strangely enough, I'm sure at least some of the PDX games still keep them "in list" if the game is not restarted.
Yeah, I was loading a save while playing CK3, and at the same time deleting other saves in Windows.

So while loading a save, it was accessing a different save that it was not loading, at the same time.

After a couple of seconds I clicked to retry, it deleted just fine, so the game was no longer accessing the save.

In other words, it seems that when you load a save game, it also accesses other save games for unknown reasons.

Reactions: