• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings!

It’s a new year, and we thought it would be interesting to give all of you an update on the status of the team! There’s quite a few of us, and we hope you’ll enjoy this brief insight into who’s working on updates, fixes and exciting new content for your enjoyment!

My name is Carmille and I work as a Producer on CK3; I’ve been with the team for about one and a half years now. CK2 was one of my favorite games and the reason that I joined Paradox to begin with, so naturally I am feeling quite blessed to work on the project :)

Firstly, an announcement! It has been decided that Alexander Oltner (aka @rageair) will be stepping up as the new Game Director for the project! Alexander is the (now former) Design Lead for CK3, and has spent many years designing features for both CK2 and CK3. He started at the company in 2015 and, if you’ve tuned in to any of the pre-release streams or interviews, you surely know who he is already. Long-term fans might even recognize him as the lead designer behind Holy Fury for CK2, or perhaps you’ve seen him in one of the many past Dev Clashes. We have full confidence that Alex will be able to take up the reins and steer the project towards a bright future! The former Game Director, Henrik Fåhraeus (known on the forums as Doomdark), is ascending the ranks and will instead act as the Creative Director for many titles, CK3 included.

With that said, let's move on to the team itself!
You might think that with the release of the base game, the amount of people working on the project would be reduced. We’re actually doing the exact opposite, and are in the process of expanding the team instead! This will give us a lot more flexibility and freedom and should allow us to work on several different things at the same time.
Naturally, we need to train and onboard our new team members so it is not something we can start with straight away, but our hope is that you will see the effects within a not so distant future.

Now, how many are actually working on CK3 and what are they doing?

The team is made up of many different disciplines, working together to create amazing experiences! We’ll go into more details on each of them below.

Producer

We have four people working in Production (myself included). Our job is to help the team bring the design to life and into your hands. We do this by setting up (and iterating upon) processes and workflows, identifying deadlines and milestones, making plans to hit those dates while staying in good shape and ensuring that everybody knows what to do. We can often be seen grooming CK3s task and bug database and making sure everything is according to plan, up to date and representative of the current situation as well as spending a lot of time looking at numbers in spreadsheets.

Game Design

Our Game Designer is working very closely together with the Game Director. Their focus is split between what is currently being developed and nailing down the design for future expansions. They can very frequently be seen playing the game as it is being developed and make tweaks or highlight areas of concern so that the feature feels as great in the game as it looks on paper.

UX Design

Just like Game Design, our two UX Designers have their focus split between what is happening in the game right now and what is being designed for future expansions. UX Design and Game Design work closely together and make sure that new features are both fun and user friendly. They focus on interactions and user interface, although they can often be seen giving feedback on when something just doesn’t feel intuitive.

Content Design

Although the two previously mentioned design disciplines can sometimes be seen creating content for features as they are being developed, it's the Content Designers that create the vast majority of it. We have eight Content Designers working on CK3, and unlike the other two Design disciplines, they are almost entirely focused on working with what’s being developed in the game here and now. They pride themselves on creating historically plausible content, and will spend a lot of their time researching something before it is being put into the game. They are skilled scripters and writers and very passionate about ensuring that all features have a soul made out of supportive events, decisions, interactions, etc.

Code

There are seven Programmers and two Tech Leads working on CK3. The Tech Leads are responsible for the overall technical health and spend a lot of their time setting up (and iterating upon) processes and best practices for the project. They play a major part during all development stages and are constantly aware of the big picture and the challenges that could come with it.

Our Programmers are responsible for building the functionality and foundation of the features themselves. They work very closely together with the other disciplines on their features and can often be seen providing Code Support or in other ways using their skillset to make life easier for the non-coders. They will also keep an eye on performance and the overall stability of the game and jump upon an issue as soon as it appears.

Art Director

There is one Art Director working on CK3, and their responsibility is the overall artistic vision. They work closely together with the Game Director and Production, but also with all of the Artists in the team.

2D UI Art

We have three 2D Artists on the team and they can often be seen collaborating with Code and UX Design to bring the interfaces of new CK3 features to life after Code has provided their framework. They will also create icons and illustrations as well as investigate artistic improvements to the UIs that is not part of the UX design.

2D Concept Art

Our two Concept Artists help the game team by visualizing assets before they are to be created by a 3D Artist.

3D Character Art

Just as the name indicates, our three Character Artists work on anything related to our characters. This not only includes the characters itself, but also the clothing, headgears and hairstyles. In addition to that they are also responsible for creating the Units that are walking around the map. They can often be seen working closely together with Animation.

3D Environment Art

These Artists work mostly on the map itself. We have four of them and they can often be seen creating holdings, ships, siege weapons and other map assets. They are also painting the map as well as making sure that all the units, holdings and other buildings are located where it makes sense, both from a historical perspective and an artistic one.

Animation

There is one Animator working on the project and their main focus is on bringing our characters and units to life. They can be seen working on brand new poses and adding more variety to existing ones to make sure the characters show a wide range of different emotions and visually support different situations.

VFX

CK3 is not a very VFX heavy game, and because of this we do not have a VFX artist working with us full time, but only on demand.

QA

Our QA is the glue that keeps everything together. We have a core team of seven QA, but expand to a lot more once we are starting to wrap up and getting ready for a release. They can often be seen playing the game and testing the new features as they become ready, but it is important to note that this is not the only thing they do. They have a holistic view of quality and work closely together with all disciplines to make sure that the end product is as great as possible. Sometimes this is achieved through testing alone, but other times they can identify a need to redesign / introduce more content to a feature that feels a bit weak or perhaps a need to tweak a process or workflow within the Project itself.

Audio

The Audio team works on all PDS games, so we can’t really claim them for ourselves.
When they do work on CK3, they are often around two to three people and can be seen working on sound effects for our new features as well as composing music that fit the theme of the expansion.

Naturally, we don’t all work on the same features or fixes at the same time, that’d be very confusing! We’re divided into smaller groups, each focusing on their own set of features or content. Once a week we have a couple of hours set aside to make sure that everybody on the CK3 team has time to sit down and play the game and see for themselves how everything is being tied together.

The team is currently busy working on two things: one is big and the other is smaller. The smaller of these you'll be hearing more of in the coming weeks...

It says everything about how toxic it's got around here that a helpful post like this - with factual information about when dev diaries are coming (the very thing people say they're crying out for) - is getting a load of "respectfully disagree"s.

We reached the point a while back where posting anything positive about the game was enough to get you a load of "Respectfully disagrees" (often from the same group of people time after time). Now it seems posting something neutral is enough to get that response. Really sad to see.
This is not about disagreeing to just disagree. I don't see how this is sad to see.

I am disagreeing with this part
I would expect a dev diary at least every week from now on until DLC arrives.
Unless this was stated in the stream this is just setting up false expectations. (And with the it was written it didn't come off as something that was stated in the stream.)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Unless this was stated in the stream this is just setting up false expectations. (And with the it was written it didn't come off as something that was stated in the stream.)

No that was not stated in the stream, the way i phrased it should make that absolutely clear

• 1Like
Reactions:
It says everything about how toxic it's got around here that a helpful post like this - with factual information about when dev diaries are coming (the very thing people say they're crying out for) - is getting a load of "respectfully disagree"s.

Yet It still has not been addressed by anyone from PDX. You dont see a mod or a PDX staff member around for months then a hundred of them appear on Dev Dairy day because they are trying to gaffer tape the cracks. Then "poof" they are gone again as if by magic without STILL addressing the issues.
I have basically said "pick me talk to me" in regard to discussing why the forum is so Toxic. Its also very easily fixable.
The issue is that no one is apparently willing to talk to the community on the forums.
I sincerely hope this is not viewed as trollish but i feel that its difficult to say anything thats not positive about their product on here without getting into trouble.
At the end of the day im a PDX fan who LOVES the CK franchise and PDX titles as a whole. Sure CK3 isnt for everyone and it could go either way I dont have to be appeased or like the direction the game is going, they have to sell a product to the most people I get that. I just struggle as to why they seem to alienate their fan base on here and how that is good business in any way shape or form. Im just gutted that they ignore their community to a level of what feels like contempt

We reached the point a while back where posting anything positive about the game was enough to get you a load of "Respectfully disagrees" (often from the same group of people time after time). Now it seems posting something neutral is enough to get that response. Really sad to see.

Watch this post stack up the negatives as well as the positives they really mean nothing though buddy :)
Its about getting a msg across and an opinion, i vastly respect how you have been a stalwart supporter through all of this. Its just not the path i can travel.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yet It still has not been addressed by anyone from PDX. You dont see a mod or a PDX staff member around for months then a hundred of them appear on Dev Dairy day because they are trying to gaffer tape the cracks. Then "poof" they are gone again as if by magic without STILL addressing the issues.
I have basically said "pick me talk to me" in regard to discussing why the forum is so Toxic. Its also very easily fixable.
The issue is that no one is apparently willing to talk to the community on the forums.
I sincerely hope this is not viewed as trollish but i feel that its difficult to say anything thats not positive about their product on here without getting into trouble.
At the end of the day im a PDX fan who LOVES the CK franchise and PDX titles as a whole. Sure CK3 isnt for everyone and it could go either way I dont have to be appeased or like the direction the game is going, they have to sell a product to the most people I get that. I just struggle as to why they seem to alienate their fan base on here and how that is good business in any way shape or form. Im just gutted that they ignore their community to a level of what feels like contempt

Watch this post stack up the negatives as well as the positives they really mean nothing though buddy :)
Its about getting a msg across and an opinion, i vastly respect how you have been a stalwart supporter through all of this. Its just not the path i can travel.
LOL careful brother you are close to sedition and being black-bagged ;)

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:

I guess that's just the unbridgable gap in the discussion here. I still see this as a very loud minority who've lost all perspective upon seeing a dev diary that wasn't what they thought it would be and being made to wait another week. You see it as Paradox staff withholding information for no good reason and a community taking action to change that.

Ultimately, we'll get a dev diary next week. It’ll have the information about new CK3 direction/systems/mechanics/changes that you and I both want. I'll assume that that dev diary was always planned that way due to January's announcement that they'd start dev diaries in mid-February - and you'll assume that Paradox have revealed information due to this weeks' "fan pressure". There'll be no way to objectively prove who's right and we'll all (hopefully) get on with our lives.

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:

As @Oglesby pointed out the disagreements are probably people who disagree that we can expect a weekly dev diary starting next week. I have no idea about this myself so I didn't give a reaction to that post.

That being said, I honestly don't think that expressing disagreement is "toxic." Do you really think it is? IMO that would make discussion rather hard, so I'm thinking I might be missing your point here?

I guess that's just the unbridgable gap in the discussion here. I still see this as a very loud minority who've lost all perspective upon seeing a dev diary that wasn't what they thought it would be and being made to wait another week. You see it as Paradox staff withholding information for no good reason and a community taking action to change that.
Eh, it'd be kinda weird to think that Paradox are withholding information just to mess with us. That doesn't make any sense from either our or their perspective. I'm sure they have their reasons for it, I just don't know what they are since they haven't shared them. Maybe they are brilliant reasons that would instantly persuade me if I learned them. Who knows? I don't. :)

The way I see it the main difference between 95% of the people here (excluding the fanatical fanboys and the fanatical critics) is between those who think we should have received more information sooner, and those who think things are fine as they are.

Another difference is between those who felt the so-called dev diary listing the team roles was annoying and those who thought it was fine. You can probably tell which side I am on here by my use of the term "so-called." :)

Reactions:
The way I see it the main difference between 95% of the people here (excluding the fanatical fanboys and the fanatical critics) is between those who think we should have received more information sooner, and those who think things are fine as they are.

Agreed with this, (although some would maybe club me in as a fanatical critic?) I firmly feel that we should have had information sooner.
Also I by no means feel that we as a community will have put pressure on PDX to put a DD up next week. I actually feel they will do it their way and damn the community which honestly is a far more toxic feeling, hence i feel things around here will probably get more mutinous before they get better if the current strategy is followed.
Maybe a good DD will appease many people (myself included?) or maybe it will infuriate people.
The key to ALL of this is for PDX to start communicating with us more overtly and stop treating us as an invisible cash cow consumer.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Lots of good feedback and lots of interesting insight. We are working still on getting tone and conversation to the point we would like to see it. Making sure we strike the right tone between you, our beloved Community, and the Dev Team.

With me in the middle gladly reading and listening to both sides of the conversation to make sure nobody feels left out.

I feel that these kinds of posts are being written by people who are invested in Paradox's success, and it would be a terrible mistake to dismiss (the large numbers of) them without listening.

Nobody is ever ignored, no matter their message or tone. However, we definitely walk a fine line with making sure that attacks and aggression are not rewarded, but are still heard (not that your posts are in this category, but it gave me a good segue) and also making sure we acknowledge good constructive feedback and sentiment.

Hello! I want to thank you for your work and suggest such changes:

1. Change the characteristics and names for professional troops depending on the nation. For example, in Europe (France, Germany, Italy, Spain), the rulers should be given knight cavalry instead of heavy cavalry, and instead of light cavalry - I don't know what to call them, let them be squires. Other nations have these troops with lower characteristics or none at all. The Eastern Slavs and Scandinavians have access to stronger heavy infantry (such as the brutal Varangians))), the British have stronger archers, the Arabs have faster and stronger light cavalry, and the Byzantines have legionaries.

2. Add a solution to the Western European rulers: to hold a jousting tournament, where the winner receives some kind of bun, piety, money, and also increases the relationship with the woman who will declare her lady of the heart. That, in turn, also receives piety or fame.

3. For nomadic tribes, remove fortresses, temples, and cities, replacing them with "nomads", and add a decision (or religious dogma, something like human sacrifice) about raids on sedentary neighbors in order to obtain money and slaves.

4. Add the purpose of the war: "To make a tributary" - that is, without losing independence, the ruler must pay tribute every year.

5. During raids-an opportunity for the victims to agree on the termination of the raid, paying off with gold.

***AI actions in the game are extremely monotonous. I wanted his actions to be more active in relation to the player and other characters:

6. When blackmail lustful AI could demand to sleep with him (in addition to the basic conditions)

7. AI men should actively try to seduce beautiful and pretty women. In case of failure - do not give up trying to do it again and try to eliminate competitors on the way to the bed or the heart of a woman

8. A woman's refusal to marry, from courtship, or break off an engagement is a reason for war. Also a reason for war for pious religions - if the bride is not a virgin.

9. Love - it can flare up in AI suddenly. This is a strong feeling that makes you act recklessly - give expensive gifts, be jealous, declare wars, kill, challenge to a duel. A special kind of love is passion. In this case, the AI becomes mad and uses all means to achieve its goal - spreading dirty rumors, using bribery, blackmail

10. Wedding and the first wedding night - a feast for which feudal lords gather. Ends on the wedding night.

11. When blackmailing an AI or player, they may require another character to do something against a third character or try to seduce them. For example, you Can force a woman to seduce her Liege Lord, then blackmail him with it.

* translation of Google, sorry )))

These are all super rad! I appreciate the well thought out context on all.

However, Feedback and Suggestions sections of the Forum would be better for gaining traction on these thoughts as they are read and collected weekly. :)

Two big patches (of around 1,000 changes each) and and a Ruler Designer don't seem like slow post-launch support to me.

It was definitely oceans of work to make sure we are ahead of things and in a good place to work on future releases.

I am very excited for the next diary! Do we have a date scheduled for the next DD? What is the frequency of the diaries?

The plan is for tomorrow, so we shall see! :D

They have confirmed a DD coming tuesday on their twitch stream. I would expect a dev diary at least every week from now on until DLC arrives.

Certainly the plan, but we shall see how that rolls out over the coming weeks. No promises, but definitely our hopes and plans.

• 12Like
  • 3Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Lots of good feedback and lots of interesting insight. We are working still on getting tone and conversation to the point we would like to see it. Making sure we strike the right tone between you, our beloved Community, and the Dev Team.

With me in the middle gladly reading and listening to both sides of the conversation to make sure nobody feels left out.

Nobody is ever ignored, no matter their message or tone. However, we definitely walk a fine line with making sure that attacks and aggression are not rewarded, but are still heard (not that your posts are in this category, but it gave me a good segue) and also making sure we acknowledge good constructive feedback and sentiment.

These are all super rad! I appreciate the well thought out context on all.

However, Feedback and Suggestions sections of the Forum would be better for gaining traction on these thoughts as they are read and collected weekly. :)

It was definitely oceans of work to make sure we are ahead of things and in a good place to work on future releases.

Certainly the plan, but we shall see how that rolls out over the coming weeks. No promises, but definitely our hopes and plans.
Utterly amazing to hear that the next DD will be tomorrow. To be honest, was definitely very disappointed with last week's DD, but it looks like I'll be obsessively checking the PDX forums again for more news!

• 2Like
Reactions:

Utterly amazing to hear that the next DD will be tomorrow. To be honest, was definitely very disappointed with last week's DD, but it looks like I'll be obsessively checking the PDX forums again for more news!
I've been a bit critical of what I've seen as Paradox's hesitation to communicate, but sometimes I kinda feel for them. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've been a bit critical of what I've seen as Paradox's hesitation to communicate, but sometimes I kinda feel for them. :)
Agreed. A lot of the toxicity went too far by too much, but they did have cause to. I believe that it was just up to hype mismanagement on Paradox's part- the community was eagerly anticipating the last dev diary for news on DLC, especially with everything the Stellaris, Imperator and EUIV teams had announced. When the announcement didn't happen and we were instead presented with a dev diary that completely fell short of what everyone expected, it seemed all the hype was for nothing.

Really hope the dev diary tomorrow is worth it though- if we're lucky, they might end up announcing both of them and not just the content pack. CKIII is an amazing game, so I will most definitely be anticipating anything the team has in line to add upon it.

Reactions:
Really hope the dev diary tomorrow is worth it though- if we're lucky, they might end up announcing both of them and not just the content pack.
Whoa there, they've given no reason at all for us to think that the big dlc is getting shared tomorrow - remember, last diary said we'd be hearing about the small one in the weeks to come. I think we've all gone through enough grief in the past week - let's not make things worse by manufacturing our own expectations of what could be in tomorrow's DD :D

• 3Like
Reactions:
Whoa there, they've given no reason at all for us to think that the big dlc is getting shared tomorrow - remember, last diary said we'd be hearing about the small one in the weeks to come. I think we've all gone through enough grief in the past week - let's not make things worse by manufacturing our own expectations of what could be in tomorrow's DD :D
Heh, I agree; but I guess it never hurts to dream. I've played the game nonstop since I got it on my birthday and it'd be amazing to get more content for it, especially since I got the Royal Edition. Really really hope the DLCs dp well, and that they come out soon :)

• 2Like
Reactions:

I encourage you to make a new thread to discuss these ideas, if you feel that the community is the one that can drive that change.
If you're referring to how Paradox as a business is engaging through the forum - then I think it's quite likely that Paradox have their own thoughts and plans. They also have other communities to make sure they are engaging with (Twitter, Reddit, Facebook etc etc)
If it's around forum moderation, feel free to message me directly :)

Reactions:
I feel like there's some hidden stuff in there. Like the dude in charge of Holy Fury is now leading the whole project, so will we have more stuff related to religion? Holy fury gave us:
  1. Randomized worlds
  2. Warrior lodges and adventures
  3. Legendary bloodlines
  4. Sainthood and coronation
  5. Crusade events
So I'll expect more emphasis on dynasty and religion next patch.
hopefully, i have high trust in Alexander. I will accept a 2 month delay due to covid. My Pitchfork is still resting and i wish you all the best <3

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:

Maybe they want more people playing Imperator, so they're putting ck3 on the backburner as far as marketing goes in hopes that Marius creates enough buzz to start a virtuous circle of rising player numbers & more content made about the game. That game was supposed to be their crowning achievement, the synthesis of their most famous grand strategy games, so there's probably some personal investment in ensuring that it succeeds in the end despite suffering the awful launch that plagues every Rome game released after 2010.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Maybe they want more people playing Imperator, so they're putting ck3 on the backburner as far as marketing goes in hopes that Marius creates enough buzz to start a virtuous circle of rising player numbers & more content made about the game. That game was supposed to be their crowning achievement, the synthesis of their most famous grand strategy games, so there's probably some personal investment in ensuring that it succeeds in the end despite suffering the awful launch that plagues every Rome game released after 2010.
Well its amazing now and im playing it more then ck3 infact i think its better then ck3 and more dynamic reminds me of vic 2

Reactions:
When we can expect the new patch?

• 6Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Running to the window, he opened it, and put out his head. No fog, no mist; clear, bright, jovial, stirring, cold; cold, piping for the blood to dance to; Golden sunlight; Heavenly sky; sweet fresh air; merry bells. Oh, glorious. Glorious!

"What's to-day?" cried the CK3 Fan, calling downward to a boy in Tuesday clothes, who perhaps had loitered in to look about him.

"Eh?" returned the boy, with all his might of wonder.

"What's to-day, my fine fellow?" said the CK3 Fan.

"To-day?" replied the boy. "Why, Dev Diary Day."

"It's Dev Diary Day!" said the CK3 Fan to himself. "I haven't missed it. The Spirits have done it all in one night. They can do anything they like. Of course they can. Of course they can. Hallo, my fine fellow!"

"Hallo!" returned the boy.

"Do you know the Developer, in the next street but one, at the corner?" the CK3 fan inquired.

"I should hope I did," replied the lad.

"An intelligent boy!" said the CK3 Fan. "A remarkable boy! Do you know whether they’ve got that Dev Diary that was talked about -- Not the little one: the big one?"

"What, the one as big as me?" returned the boy.

"What a delightful boy!" said the CK3 Fan. "It's a pleasure to talk to him. Yes, my buck."

"It's hanging there now," replied the boy.

"Is it?" said the CK3 fan. "Go and get it."

"Walk-er!" exclaimed the boy.

"No, no," said the CK3 fan, "I am in earnest. Go and get it, and tell them to bring it here, that I may give them the direction where to take it. Come back with the man, and I'll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown."

The boy was off like a shot. He must have had a steady hand at a trigger who could have got a shot off half so fast.

Last edited:
  • 12Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Glad that the thread is open again. It made me quite sad to see how the feedback turned out to be.

I like information about who is working on a project or what resources have been alocated to what position. The game ist barely 6 months old, so I wasn't expecting any major announcement.

• 4Like
Reactions: