• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings!

In this Dev Diary we’ll show off some of the other things we’ve been working on for the 1.2 patch! While the Ruler Designer is extremely cool, it’s not the only thing you’ll be getting - there’s plenty of exciting new things coming up! What follows below is a showcase of some of the things we’ve done, presented by someone who’s worked on it!

Oh, and because we know you’re wondering - yes, saves made in 1.1 will be compatible in 1.2!

Kill List
A very fun feature from CK2 that we wanted to bring back is the Kill List, you might have noticed the new UI button in some of our Ruler Designer teasers before.
This skull icon will appear on any character who has killed people you know about and when clicked opens a list of everyone they killed and how they met their grisly fate. So you can get a sense of just how much of a true beast some of your strong knights are and how many of your foes they have vanquished on the battlefield in your name.
But of course it only shows the kills you know about, so some people that look innocent to you may in fact be hiding numerous skeletons in their closet…
KillList.png

[Picture of kill list button location]

YourKills.png

[Picture of the open kill list]

Attach to Army
Another helpful utility we wanted to add was being able to attach your armies to follow ally armies to their destinations. This is especially useful during bigger wars like Crusades where you are not the primary participant; you can attach to any friendly unit of an ally in the same province as your unit and of course then detach when you decide to go your own way. If there are multiple armies in a province you can attach to then a pop up window will open for you to decide which one you would like to follow.
Attach.png

[Picture of the attach to army button]

Force Realm Priest Endorsement
Your realm priest will endorse you normally if they have a good opinion of you, and we’ve now extended that so if you have a strong hook on them then they will passively be forced to endorse you regardless of their personal opinion of you.
That way you can still get all of those sweet taxes and levies from their church holdings even if they might personally think you are a blasphemous fool!
HookEndorsement.png

[Picture of realm priest being forced to endorse you via a strong hook]

Tribal Walls / Tribal Holding variants
Tribes in different parts of the world will now look different! From longhouses in the north to yurts in the steppes, there’s now a visual difference between the major tribal regions on the map. We’ve also added one more visual tier of walls, symbolising the very lowest possible fort level a holding can have.
TribalHoldings.png

[Picture of new Tribal Holding variants]

Reworked Dynasty UI
The Dynasty view has gotten some more love! The window now has two dynamic info boxes explaining how dynasty and house head is chosen, especially how Max military strength determines who's dynasty head. Military strength can now also be seen and compared between house heads in the house list. The legacy area has gotten a new look to easier show which legacy tracks you have unlocked, how many steps are unlocked, and which ones you've finished.
NewDynastyView.png

[Picture of updated Dynasty UI]

Improved Battle UI
Battles have also gotten some more love, with the UI having received an overhaul. It now both looks nicer and places important information in a better layout!
NewBattle.png

[Picture of the improved Battle UI]

Player Coat of Arms Graphics
Your Coat Of Arms is now decorated with mantling! It adds a sense of flair and you can also spot other players easier on the map during multiplayer.
Mantling.png

[Picture of Mantling on a player CoA]

Rally Point Improvements
We’ve done some work on the troop system in 1.2. As part of this we hope to have eliminated some bugs like levies failing to reinforce when they should.
More visibly, we’ve made one change to how troops get raised at rally points. Now if you exceed the supply limit the game will automatically split the army up to obey the supply limit, spreading it out over adjacent provinces.
RallyPointRaise.png

[Picture of a rally point where armies are spread out]

Pictured is what now happens when trying to raise a bit over 10k men in an area with supply limits of 2.5k.

Siberian Paganism
Suomenusko has long been in a bit of an awkward spot. It stretches over large territories where the people in reality worshiped many different deities. To improve the situation, we've made two changes. The first is a simple name change, as we've renamed Suomenusko to Ukonusko (after the main deity). It gives the faith a name that isn't specifically Finnish, since we have several other cultures that share the same faith.

NewSetup.png

[Picture of new Faith Setup in the north]

Secondly, we've split it into two separate faiths by adding a new faith for the Siberian region. We felt that adding a new faith would be a significant improvement as to better reflect the varied beliefs of the Ugrian peoples. Named Turumic, after their main patron deity Numi-Turum, it is in some ways similar to Ukonusko in that it's a faith closely linked to nature, but is different by their veneration of hunting. The tenets are the following: Ancestor Worship, Ritual Celebrations, and Sanctity of Nature. It uniquely has the Hunter lifestyle traits as virtues. The other virtues being Brave, Generous, and Temperate. Meanwhile, being Greedy, Craven, or Vengeful, is considered a sin.

Improved Ugliness System
In CK3, the “ugly” trait is a lot more interesting than it was in CK2, having a noticeable effect on portraits, and coming in three levels of severity. However, beyond the first level of the trait we didn’t quite achieve the levels of ugliness we wanted at release. So in 1.2 we’ve improved the system we use to distort the portraits of ugly people to make them uglier while still not feeling too out of place within the art style. Before 1.2 ugliness worked by changing skin texture and making all facial features more extreme. This is still the case, but in 1.2 we also pick a single or a small set of features to make especially extreme. This can result in a character for instance having a particularly messed up nose, a face that’s too small for their head, or the tiniest mouth. Focusing on small feature sets like this helps ensure that ugly people are varied in their ugliness, and more readily identifiable as “ugly”.
Below are a couple examples of how ugly characters will look in 1.2 vs. 1.1.
UglyComparison.png

[Picture of a comparison between the same level of ugliness in 1.1 vs 1.2]

As you can see the difference isn’t massive, but helps make them a bit more interesting. There’s still room for improvement and especially so for the “Hideous” trait, but this was a relatively simple and safe change to make for 1.2.

Matrilineal Game Rules
We’ve added a new game rule that controls the behaviour of the AI when choosing which type of marriage to pursue. There’s plenty of options to choose from, so regardless what your preference is, it should hopefully be represented! All options are achievement compatible.

MatriRules.png

[Picture of Matrilineal Marriages Game Rule settings]

Naming Dynasty Members in Court
You now get to name all Dynasty members that are born in your court, not just your own children. This means that you can make sure that the correct names are passed down as you prefer!

New Event Content
You can now grow old, sick, tired, and depressed more efficiently, with new events that dole out the “Infirm” trait.

For those seeking even swifter departures from this mortal coil, we have expanded the Murder scheme with additional events and deadly outcomes! But take care — the mastermind behind a scheme can now be unmasked, in addition to the existence of the scheme itself. To even things out a bit, a Court Physician you recruit as an agent has a chance to purposely mess up treatments of your target — and they can now also properly treat their own wounds and conditions.

Other schemes and mechanics have gotten numerous content tweaks, additions, and updates.

That’s it for this time! Don't forget to tune in to tomorrows CK3 stream, where we'll show off the 1.2 patch! Who knows, maybe you'll even get to know the release date?
Details:
Link
Live at 16:30 CET, tomorrow!

This virtually never happens. You are correct in general terms about the issues, but let's not exaggerate valid concerns and risk having them not taken seriously. :)
It happened in all three games I played, and a lot of people in the forums have voiced similar complaints. From my point of view, it’s hard to see that as something that virtually never happens.

To be blunt, the Fervor mechanic’s impact on the Catholic Church is the primary reason I’ve stopped playing CK3. I‘m checking out the DDs to evaluate if I’m going to try playing 1.2 or not, and the fact the Fervor is not mentioned makes me feel like the CK3 team, like you, doesn’t see Fervor as a major problem. That’s disappointing, because when Fervor goes bad, it goes really bad.

If we're still just doing one big doomstack battle, but with 10x the clicks, what's the point of the supply system? It's not actually incentivizing me to divide my army into multiple smaller forces that pursue different objectives. It's just making me divide my army into multiple smaller forces that all do the same thing.
This perfectly describes the problem with the current supply mechanics. :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but is it just me or is the "ugly" character on the left actually quite good looking? Nice cheekbones, straight nose...better than my broken beak, which I guess gives me the "hideous" trait..
It looks like his "ugly" trait is being expressed as his eyes being a bit too close together and his face just being really narrow.

• 11Haha
  • 10Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
2. That's the benefit of having Men at Arms, they are effectively a strike force in your realm that you pay extra in addition to the peasant levies provided by holdings. That said, we are always looking at ways to balance the game out in a way that feels right to us and the players!

For proper balance I think that MAA should still take at least some degree of time to muster. However, it should be much faster than levies.

Next level would be if the last place they were disbanded was also taken into account when determining how quickly they are once again ready for action in a different location.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Could you please make the dangerous faction alert appear when they are strong enough to increase discontent rather than when they are days away from sending their demands?

• 8Like
Reactions:
This patch is glorious!
about the absence of the Balts in central Russia at that time
I would say that the map is a bit too old though. It is quite possible that they were assimilated by 867 (not to mention 1066).
The supply system means that you need to keep your forces spread out into a handful of adjacent baronies, and move each one independently
Sounds barely undertakeable. Also, is supply really counted per barony not per county? If yes, this single tweak could make you split your armies more (because most counties have several baronies), and the strategy of "doomstack split into smaller parts but still doomstack" you described becomes almost impossible.

Last edited:
Matrilineal Game Rules
We’ve added a new game rule that controls the behaviour of the AI when choosing which type of marriage to pursue. There’s plenty of options to choose from, so regardless what your preference is, it should hopefully be represented! All options are achievement compatible.

MatriRules.png

[Picture of Matrilineal Marriages Game Rule settings]

So players will still be able to do them (if not outside their court, then inside it)? Why not add a rule banning them completely like in CK2? Historically matrilineal marriages were not a thing.

EDIT: What's with the downvotes? Please do show evidence if I'm wrong, but AFAIK matrilineal marriages as they are in the game simply did not exist in the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It is quite possible that they were assimilated by 867 (not to mention 1066).
Regarding 1066, Golyad' should remain only in the Mozhaysk county (basin of the Protva river). Actually, the very first mention of them is dated only 1058th year and they really conquered only in the middle of the 12th century. This region as a whole was not particularly colonized until the 15th century, since it was difficult to access - far from large navigable rivers and completely covered with forests. There, in general, the whole region needs to be redone, the Vyatichi, for example, remained independent for a very long time and by the beginning of the 12th century were still pagans.
As for the Balts in the 867th year, their range should be even wider, occupying the entire territory with Moskva, Tver, Mozhaysk, Odoyev, Novosil and maybe Ryazan and Tula. By 1066, all this had already been assimilated by Vyatiches (except Mozhaysk, of course).

• 2Like
Reactions:
It happened in all three games I played, and a lot of people in the forums have voiced similar complaints. From my point of view, it’s hard to see that as something that virtually never happens.
Within a few decades? Don't think I've ever seen that in my games. Haven't really seen people complaining about it happening with a few decades here on the forum either.

Reactions:
Moose cavalry for Ugrians please.
There's been no real evidence that the Mansi rode moose into battle, so as cool as it would be to have moose cavalry Men-at-Arms, it wouldn't be historically accurate to include them in the game.

Finally, the Suomenusko split that I have waited for. Not the complete one (where I would have split if off into more faiths). But its a start in the right direction. I really like this dev.
It's a good step forward, but ideally Suomenusko needs to be fragmented even further. Having Volga Finns use Finnish god names and Sami religious titles doesn't feel right at all, especially since the native Mari religion is still extant to this day and pretty well attested.

At the very least, two more religions are needed (for the Sami and Volga-Finns respectively, although ideally the latter should be split between distinct Mordvin and Mari faiths), while more could be made to achieve better historical and gameplay accuracy (most notably the distinction between Mari and Mordvin religions, and less importantly but still preferably unique religions for Estonians, Livonians, Udmurts, Komi, and *just maybe* Bjarmians, depending on how the game can handle a single faith having different deity names depending on certain conditions).

I see that the Estonian and Latvian culture borders are still ahistorical and falsely show the Curonian peninsula as 100% Latgal during times when it was still majority Finnic/Livonian/Estonian (however you decide to call it in CK)...
The bug report was acknowledged on day 2 after the release by Paradox so I'm a bit puzzled.
I'd imagine that they're holding on to updating Livonia in favour of completely overhauling the current set-up of Old Livonia. After all, pretty much none of the historically attested counties and principalities in Latvia and Estonia are playable, and instead we have fictional place-holder states that don't match any of the old Baltic states. It's like lumping the Irish petty kingdoms into two or three large duchies and calling it a day.

I would say that the map is a bit too old though. It is quite possible that they were assimilated by 867 (not to mention 1066).Sounds barely undertakeable. Also, is supply really counted per barony not per county? If yes, this single tweak could make you split your armies more (because most counties have several baronies), and the strategy of "doomstack split into smaller parts but still doomstack" you described becomes almost impossible.
The Eastern Galindians are attested as an independent tribe in sources as far as 1147, and probably didn't assimilate into the Russian society until 1400s-1500s. There were still people who identified as Golyads in the 1800s, if "Peoples of the USSR" is to be believed. As a result, it would be perfectly accurate to include the Eastern Galindians in the game. Of course, the main problem would be how to represent them, since we have no written records of their language. Would they need to be represented by having Lithuanian or Prussian culture?

Regarding 1066, Golyad' should remain only in the Mozhaysk county (basin of the Protva river). Actually, the very first mention of them is dated only 1058th year and they really conquered only in the middle of the 12th century. This region as a whole was not particularly colonized until the 15th century, since it was difficult to access - far from large navigable rivers and completely covered with forests. There, in general, the whole region needs to be redone, the Vyatichi, for example, remained independent for a very long time and by the beginning of the 12th century were still pagans.
As for the Balts in the 867th year, their range should be even wider, occupying the entire territory with Moskva, Tver, Mozhaysk, Odoyev, Novosil and maybe Ryazan and Tula. By 1066, all this had already been assimilated by Vyatiches (except Mozhaysk, of course).
I dunno, I find it dubious that the Golyad' would assimilate that fast into the old East Slavic society, especially since Kievan Rus' didn't even manage to achieve the creation of an united Rus' identity while it still existed. Furthermore, wouldn't those areas that you listed be inhabited by Uralic tribes in 867?

• 1Haha
Reactions:

To be blunt, the Fervor mechanic’s impact on the Catholic Church is the primary reason I’ve stopped playing CK3. I‘m checking out the DDs to evaluate if I’m going to try playing 1.2 or not, and the fact the Fervor is not mentioned makes me feel like the CK3 team, like you, doesn’t see Fervor as a major problem. That’s disappointing, because when Fervor goes bad, it goes really bad.
I've seen Catholicism crumble *once*, and it took a couple of hundred years, with me carving off slices of their land (as an Insular Christian) at every plausible opportunity.

So something is happening differently in your games to mine.
Perhaps you're seeing the top liege in one of the empires or bigger kingdoms convert, at which point it's logical that they'll start converting their courtiers, vassals, and land. But at that point aside from the initial outbreak (possibly), it's not exactly a fervour issue any more.

Reactions:
Everything looks great, except for one thing. The legacy section of the Dynasty window just looks out of place. The multi-block bar to show how many are unlocked of a given tree doesn't resemble anything else in the game that I can think of. It makes it look strange and out of place in the game. I'd recommend choosing a graphical style that better fits in with the rest of the UI styling. I understand having multiple blocks to indicate what the level is as a single bar might be hard to distinguish exactly where you're at, but there should be a better option than this one... something that looks like it belongs in this game's UI.

I'd also ask that you make it possible to disable the automatic splitting of armies based on supply. If I have an enemy charging my gates and I raise my army and instead of having the full army at one location, they are spread around in smaller groups, this could quite easily cost me the war if I can't get them joined up quickly enough in the right terrain location. It's a nice idea, but generally speaking, you really aren't going to have so much trouble with supply that raising everyone in one location is going to be a problem unless you let them camp out there, which isn't very likely.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Improved Ugliness System
[...] As you can see the difference isn’t massive, but helps make them a bit more interesting. There’s still room for improvement and especially so for the “Hideous” trait, but this was a relatively simple and safe change to make for 1.2.

Still not ugly enough!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

• 9Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Levies killed by knights do not get a mention, but knights killed rightly by other knights will show up in kill lists!
Understandable, but I'm sad we won't get to see total number thousands and thousands levies smashed to pieces by our champions. Thank you for your answer

• 2Like
Reactions:
The army attachment is the one I missed most - it's actually the main reason why I didn't play the game anymore. Thanks for adding it - can't wait the patch :)

• 1Haha
Reactions: