• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #37 - Making Mods

Hello everyone and welcome to the 37th CK3 Dev Diary!

I’m Matthew, one of the Programmers on the CK3 team, and today I am going to talk to you about the modding in Crusader Kings III!

Mods are something very important to the team and something especially close to my heart. I got started at Paradox as a Content Designer due to my modding work on Crusader Kings II, so being able to make sure the sequel has lots of modding opportunities and trying to give back to the community that aided me in getting into this industry is something I am very passionate about, and I know others on the team had similar starts in modding as well.

We’ve aimed to make the game a lot more open in terms of what can be achieved in modding: we’ve got over 80 database object folders (some even with sub-folders), a very versatile event system structure, a GUI system that can be fully changed, history files, localization, sound, music, and more! So huge parts of the game can be changed to suit your needs!

common_folder.png

[screenshot of common database folders]

In the rest of this diary I’ll talk less about what you can do overall and more spotlight some things I think modders of CK2 will be excited about, as otherwise this diary would be huge and I need to get back to coding at some point.

At its core our scripting language in Imperator and Crusader Kings III is based on an in-house grand strategy library called Jomini, which acts as a more GSG focused layer used on top of our Clausewitz engine.

When Imperator released I posted a lot of information about the things that come directly from Jomini and which are shared between both games, so I would recommend checking out my Grand Jomini Modding Information Manuscript thread if you are an interested modder.

If you’d like to know more about event scripting then Dev Diary 30 had a very good coverage of that which you should check out!

Feel free to ask questions about both the linked threads in this one as well!

Character Interactions
To focus more on game level things, one of the biggest things changed from CK2 is the character interactions.

For a brief history lesson in CK2 modding, most of these core interactions were hardcoded, things like arranging marriages, declaring war, alliances etc. It was only after quite a few patches that the ability to add custom “targeted decisions” was introduced, and it’s worth noting that it was only the ability to add or modify those targeted decisions - the older hardcoded core interactions were still not particularly moddable.

For CK3 we wanted to open all of that up to go through one unified character interaction system, so every action goes through our script system now. This gives many benefits: with script being able to change it we can now change weights for the AI’s use of these actions with just a few text file changes instead of needing code time, we can change who can do them, and what people are considered good matches etc. And of course that opens it all up for modders as well.

The AI can also be scripted to use all of these custom interactions, tell them who’s a good target, as well as how often they should evaluate it (which is important for performance).

There are still some hard coded links with the interactions, specifically when it’s an interaction that’s needed to be used by the AI in a non-trivial manner. These interactions are all marked clearly, though, and if you attempt to remove them then the game will give you a warning when loading that it really needs this interaction so put it back please. This behaviour in fact applies to almost all hard coded database objects, not just those which are interactions.

For reference here is a full list of all the options interactions can use that impact how they are taken, received, responded to, shown graphically and used by the AI:
my_interaction = {
interface_priority = number # Used by interaction menu
common_interaction = yes/no # Used by interaction menu
category = interaction_category_hostile # Used by interaction menu
is_highlighted = trigger # Should the interaction be highlighted in the menu
highlighted_reason = loc_key # Tooltip if highlighted in menu
on_decline_summary = dynamic description # Flavor text that is shown under acceptance widget. Use it when you need to draw more attention to the on decline effect
special_interaction = type # This interaction uses specialized GUI
special_ai_interaction = type # This interaction runs specialized code that identifies the interaction by this
interface = call_ally/marriage/grant_titles/etc. # What interface does the interaction use?
scheme = elope/murder/etc. # The type of scheme the interaction starts
popup_on_receive = yes # Have the interaction pop-up for the recipient when received
force_notification = yes/no # Force diplomatic item if interaction is auto-accept
pause_on_receive = yes/no # Pause the game on receive. It usually makes sense to combine it with popup_on_receive
ai_accept_negotiation = yes/no # If the interaction is declined negotiations will start. We don't show "won't accept", etc. because there is still a possibility that the interaction will be accepted via negotiation event chain
hidden = yes # Is the interaction hidden?
use_diplomatic_range = yes/no/trigger # Does this interaction check diplomatic range? Yes by default
can_send_despite_rejection = yes # Interaction can be sent and the ai might reject
ignores_pending_interaction_block = yes # If the actor is a player and the recipient already has received an interaction from them pending a response, can this interaction be sent anyway. Defaults to no
send_name = loc_key # The name of the interaction in context of it being seen once sent. Defaults to database object key
needs_recipient_to_open = yes # Does the interaction need a recipient set to be able to be allowed to open and be shown. Defaults to no
show_answer_notification = no # Does this show a response info pop up when an interaction is answered if the actor is a player. Defaults to yes
show_effects_in_notification = no # Should the effects of the interaction be shown in the notification window when an interaction is sent. Defaults to yes

icon = texture_path # Icon used in various places. Default is gfx/interface/icons/character_interactions/my_interaction.dds
alert_icon = texture_path # Default is gfx/interface/icons/character_interactions/my_interaction_alert.dds
icon_small = texture_path # Default is gfx/interface/icons/character_interactions/my_interaction_small.dds
should_use_extra_icon = { always = yes } # When to show an extra icon. Tooltip key is <key>_extra_icon
extra_icon = "gfx/<...>/hook_icon.dds" # Icon to show when should_use_extra_icon is true

target_type = type # Possible types: title, none (default)
target_filter = type # See FAQ for possible types

ai_maybe = yes # The ai can reply maybe
ai_min_reply_days = 4 # Minimum days before ai replies
ai_max_reply_days = 9 # Maximum days before ai replies

desc = loc_key # Short description of the interaction
greeting = negative/positive # Sets tone in request text
notification_text = loc_key # Request text
prompt = loc_key # What text should be shown under the portrait? (For example: "Pick a Guardian")

show_effects_in_notification = yes/no # Should the effects be shown in the notification?

cooldown = { years = x } # How long until the decision can be taken again?
cooldown_against_recipient = { years = x } # How long until the decision can be taken against recipient again?

is_shown = trigger # Is the interaction available and visible between scope:actor and scope:recipient
is_valid_showing_failures_only = trigger # Is the interaction valid to be selected in it's current setup, trigger only displays failures
is_valid = trigger # Is the interaction valid to be selected in it's current setup
has_valid_target_showing_failures_only = trigger # TODO
has_valid_target = trigger # TODO
can_be_picked = trigger # TODO
can_be_picked_title = trigger # TODO
auto_accept = yes/no/trigger # Is the interaction automatically accepted, or can recipient decide
can_send = trigger # Can the interaction be sent
can_be_blocked = trigger # Can the interaction be blocked by the recipient (i.e. by a hook on the actor)
is_highlighted = trigger # Should the interaction be highlighted in the menu
can_send = trigger # Can the interaction be sent?

redirect = {} # This changes the redirection of characters using the scopes actor, recipient, secondary_actor and secondary_recipient
populate_actor_list = {} # Everyone sorted into the list 'characters' has the potential of being shown to be selected. Uses the scopes actor, recipient, secondary_actor and secondary_recipient.
populate_recipient_list = {}

localization_values = = {} # To be able to use values in loc (for example: RANSOM_COST = scope:secondary_recipient.ransom_cost_value lets you use $RANSOM_COST|0$ in loc)

options_heading = loc_key # Text shown above options block - describes all options in general
send_option = { # Adds an option
is_shown = trigger # Is option shown
is_valid = trigger # Is option selectable
current_description = desc # Tooltip
flag = flag_name # If selected then scope:flag_name will be set to yes
localization = loc_key # Loc_key for option label
starts_enabled = trigger # Trigger for whether this should be on when the window opens. If not defined, defaults to off
can_be_changed = trigger # Trigger for whether this option can be changed from its default
can_invalidate_interaction = bool # If yes then when the AI picks an interaction it will do the full can send this entire interaction check instead of the more performance saving checking of recipient refusal and ai will do, use with care and profile it
}
# Options should avoid preventing an interaction from sending (except by the recipient refusing), as we assume that to be the case in the AI for performance reasons, use can_invalidate_interaction if you need it to be re-checked
send_options_exclusive = yes/no # Are the options exclusive?

on_send = effect # Executes directly the interaction is sent
on_accept = effect # Executes when accepted by recipient
on_decline = effect # Executes when declined by recipient
on_blocked_effect = effect # Executes when blocked by recipient
pre_auto_accept = effect # Only executes if the interaction was auto accepted. Done before any other side effect (E.G., hard coded ones like marriage)
on_auto_accept = effect # Only executes if the interaction was auto accepted

reply_item_key = loc_key # The key to the loc to show in the interaction item tooltip. Receives the name of the interaction in $INTERACTION$. Default value "INTERACTION_REPLY_ITEM"

# These loc keys are shown to the player when sending the interaction. The meaning is what is going to be the answer from the target.
pre_answer_yes_key = loc_key # The key to the loc when the interaction is going to be accepted. Default value "ANSWER_YES"
pre_answer_no_key = loc_key # The key to the loc when the interaction is NOT going to be accepted. Default value "ANSWER_NO"
pre_answer_maybe_key = loc_key # The key to the loc when the interaction maybe is accepted. Receives the acceptance value in $VALUE$. Default value "ANSWER_MAYBE"
pre_answer_maybe_breakdown_key = loc_key # The key used to localize the chance of acceptance of an interaction with provided chance value. Defaults to ANSWER_SUM_MAYBE

# These loc keys are shown to the player when answering an interaction.
answer_block_key = loc_key # The key to the loc to block the interaction. Default value "ANSWER_BLOCK"
answer_accept_key = loc_key # The key to the loc to accept the interaction. Default value "ANSWER_YES"
answer_reject_key = loc_key # The key to the loc to reject the interaction. Default value "ANSWER_NO"
answer_acknowledge_key = loc_key # The key to the loc to reject the interaction. Default value "ANSWER_ACKNOWLEDGE"

cost = { # Scripted cost for the interaction. The interaction will be disabled if the actor can't pay up, and the cost will be subtracted from the actor when the interaction is sent. Renown can only be spent by the dynast.
piety = {}
prestige = {}
gold = {}
renown = {}
}

ai_set_target = {} # Set scope:target to make the AI target something specific. Title targeting interactions don't need this
ai_targets = {
ai_recipients = type # Which characters does the ai consider as recipient for the interaction, can be scripted multiple times to combine lists
# Available lists are in the "ai_targets" section of this file (trying to add an invalid list will trigger an error message with all available )
chance = 0-1 # A low chance, such as 0.25, randomly excludes that number of characters from being checked - this is useful for saving performance
}
ai_target_quick_trigger = { # Quick triggers for the ai_targets
adult = yes # The target needs to be adult
attracted_to_owner = yes # The target needs to be attracted to owner
owner_attracted = yes # Owner needs to be attracted to the target
prison = yes # Target must be in prison
}

ai_frequency = months # How often should the ai consider doing this interaction
ai_potential = trigger # Will the ai consider trying this interaction
ai_accept = mtth # Will the ai accept a request for this interaction
ai_will_do = mtth # How interested is the ai in sending this interaction (tested after selecting targets) 0-100 percent chance, will be clamped.
# Note that for title interactions, each individual target title will get evaluated, and the one giving the highest ai_will_do will get used. If the interaction has options, the combination of options that gives the highest ai_will_do will be used.
}

Combining Mods
Combining multiple mods together has always been a bit tricky but I wanted to try and make some gains with compatibility so that it doesn’t require as many manual patches.

To aid in this a bit I’ve made it so database entries can be overridden by key even if that new entry is in a different file. This means if you want to override what the lunatic trait does then instead of needing to copy the entire traits file just to change one entry you can just make your own file just containing your new definition of what the lunatic trait does, such as giving it a boost in learning, prowess, and attraction opinion like I have done below!

lunatic_override.png

[screenshot of a file overriding the lunatic trait]

lunatic_override_in_game.png

[screenshot of the new lunatic trait]

This also applies to files from other mods, as long as yours is loaded first, so you can overwrite traits and other database elements from other mods

Currently we do not support appending to a definition instead of fully overwriting, as we’d need to rework a good chunk of things and test it extensively though it is something I am keeping in mind for the future.

Alerts, Issues and Notifications
As I mentioned in Dev Diary 16, all of the new interface utilities we have for explaining the game are moddable. Which means you can add, remove, and modify any of these things through script instead of them being hard coded like in CK2.

I’ll start with the notifications and toasts as they are the simplest. You simply make a database entry in the common folder for your notification and then wherever you want to run it from you use the send_interface_message or send_interface_toast effect.

Those effects take the type of message as well as optional overrides for the title and text instead of using what was scripted in the database. They can also take any number of effects to run which will then be included as text when displayed, though it is often recommended to use a custom tooltip instead of bloating the message with a lot of mechanical text.

For alerts, advice and current issues they all go through the same “important actions” system, the core difference between them is which type they are specified to use which controls their visual appearance and location.

These important actions have a check_create_action and effect block, both run interface effects (specially marked effects that do not modify the game state across MP but just local UI things) to see if they can be created and what to do when clicked.

The main interface effect to run in check_create_action will be the try_create_important_action which attempts to create a UI element for this action type and this will usually be behind an if check.

In the effect block for when the UI element is clicked there are a couple of things which are a good idea to run, if its a piece of reactive advice then using the start_tutorial_lesson is a great idea, and for alerts or issues then the open_view_data effect is the way to go to open the window that can help address whatever is causing the alert or issue!

custom_alert.png

[a custom alert]

Note: Whilst making this dev diary I actually found out that in 1.0 adding a custom icon like you see via a mod is actually not functional, it's already been fixed for 1.1 but I thought I should note that here quickly for people coming back to this dev diary to tell me off when it doesn’t work right away.

The suggestions are similar to the important actions, but also have fields for the weight which checks how important the suggestion is to the player and a score which checks which potential target of a suggestion is best.

For example, in the fabricate claim suggestion the weight is based on if there is anything nearby you could fabricate on, how many claims you already have, and if you are already fabricating a claim. The score for which title to suggest you fabricate is based on a much larger list of values such as the development level of the county, how easy it’ll probably be to conquer, if you share a faith or culture, etc.

Scripted GUIs
Like with Imperator the interface is incredibly moddable, the GUI scripting language whilst different from the normal database and event script is still very versatile and lets you change both the appearance and positioning and full functionality of almost all the GUI elements in the game. We also have a GUI debug mode in game which allows viewing through the hierarchy and opening to the file and line of where elements are defined which makes working with the interface a lot easier.

Currently we do not support creating your own new windows GUIs (though it is on my never ending to do list), but the easy work around there is just to make them as children of the main HUD window, which is always shown, and then you can have anything.

As is listed briefly in the Jomini Modding info I linked it is possible to make scripted GUIs, which allow a link to exist between the GUI system to the normal script system so you can test for if different triggers evaluate true or false and to run effects in the game state safely across multiplayer.

I am very excited to see what people end up doing with this especially, there should hopefully be a massive reduction in the number of hacks needed to display information now that real interfaces can be made for mods to show things about their unique mechanics.

Here is a very small example of a custom interface I put together to give you a little button you can press for “fun” aka for murder against another adult character of a different faith.

murder_button.PNG

murder_confirmation.PNG

[screenshot of a custom interface button and its confirmation pop up]

murder_script.PNG

murder_gui.PNG

[screenshot of the script and gui entry for the button]

Thanks for tuning in folks! I know this diary might have some more niche appeal, for those of you looking for a look at more gameplay then make sure to tune in for our next gameplay stream!

• 76Like
  • 49Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
One of the folders is called "lease_contracts" has anything relating to lease contracts been shown before?. im kinda interested in what this might entail. (leasing land for instance)

Is there a mod creation tool with the launcher? Something that creates the necessary folders automatically and then I can just put in the edited files inside that folder?

That wasn't the problem you originally brought it up to solve. You didn't even think to mention it until some idiot misunderstood what you meant by eight genes and questioned how fantasy mods would work with only eight skin tones.
I wasn't the person who brought the 8 genes thing. I only noted that different swathes of color mixing with one another would make it simpler for the modders to add new tones.

It's not the end of the world though. The current one might work -- squeeze it a bit, add red to the left and green to blue to the right, with a bit of dark violet at lower right corner. It might give disappointing results in cases like unhealthy violet and fiery bright red giving birth to a mundane swarthy human, but I don't think such accuracy will be needed in most mods.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
It occurs to me that if 3D models can be inserted, then this could be used to make a total conversion for the Girl Genius world. A Europa full of mad scientists in eternal struggle with each other, truly special troops (carnivorous ducks and steam-powered dire teddy bears and so on), and the random events would be REALLY weird. The Spark runs in families, and there is a truly stupendous amount of backstabbing going on.

If I remember right, one of the taglines was 'Mad science rules the world, but not very well'.

• 1Love
Reactions:
It occurs to me that if 3D models can be inserted, then this could be used to make a total conversion for the Girl Genius world. A Europa full of mad scientists in eternal struggle with each other, truly special troops (carnivorous ducks and steam-powered dire teddy bears and so on), and the random events would be REALLY weird. The Spark runs in families, and there is a truly stupendous amount of backstabbing going on.

If I remember right, one of the taglines was 'Mad science rules the world, but not very well'.
That would be cool, but it would take effort on the scale of the A Song of Ice and Fire mod to pull off decently. So either we need to get some serious fandom cross-pollination going on, or we need to wait for the hit HBO series that butchers the themes of the story in favor of blood and tits before crashing and burning from all the scuttled groundwork.

I've heard mixed reports from Reddit, but will mods be allowed on the Gamepass version of CK3? Im assuming so as most of the mods go in the My Documents folder anyways but was just curious.

Thanks for all you do!

Last edited:
You can relocalise them but other than that they are hardcoded, changing the time scale would need more support on the game end to do and I'd argue its a fairly niche modding need.

As @ShadyGuy_SuspiciousGoal said, the 1.0 version is frozen from any changes unless they are of the severest impact and very critical as we do not want to risk introducing other issues into the build that could be worse than the one we fix.
So for something low impact and that does not effect the vanilla game like this issue it is not considered a worthwhile risk to take.

I answered in response to someone else, its handled by our "flavorization" system which deals with both the names of titles and the styling of character names as Count or Earl etc.

It is something I have thought of, splitting into a hard and soft checksum but I've not had time to do this as its not really a high priority compared to features, bugs or performance work. It is one of the things on my list of things to investigate during our personal development time but that list of things to look at is pretty massive so no promises.

Hi Blackninja - sorry to resurrect a post that's a few weeks old, but regarding the flavorization system... I would like to leverage this to port over my mod "Rank & File" from CK2 to CK3. However, there are some gaps with the new system that is preventing me from doing so.

1. It doesn't appear to be possible to use custom conditions in the flavorization titles.
2. We can't use custom scopes in flavorization titles - the only ones available (ruler_child and queen_mother) are hardcoded :/.

Is there a chance we could see that functionality restored in the near future? I'd love to be able to port over my mod, and I don't think I'll be able to enjoy CK3 without it.

Reactions:
Hi Blackninja - sorry to resurrect a post that's a few weeks old, but regarding the flavorization system... I would like to leverage this to port over my mod "Rank & File" from CK2 to CK3. However, there are some gaps with the new system that is preventing me from doing so.

1. It doesn't appear to be possible to use custom conditions in the flavorization titles.
2. We can't use custom scopes in flavorization titles - the only ones available (ruler_child and queen_mother) are hardcoded :/.

Is there a chance we could see that functionality restored in the near future? I'd love to be able to port over my mod, and I don't think I'll be able to enjoy CK3 without it.
Correct, for performance reasons the things we check are limited to specific checks instead of going through the entire trigger system as that overhead is too high.

Sorry that your mod is now harder to implement for these flavour names like that, is there a subset of triggers that you specifically need to check as it may be possible for us to add them as other specific check options?

I'm sure you'll be able to find some fun and enjoyment in the rest of the game though.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Correct, for performance reasons the things we check are limited to specific checks instead of going through the entire trigger system as that overhead is too high.

Sorry that your mod is now harder to implement for these flavour names like that, is there a subset of triggers that you specifically need to check as it may be possible for us to add them as other specific check options?

I'm sure you'll be able to find some fun and enjoyment in the rest of the game though.

Hi blackninja - I appreciate the prompt response :).

A "has_character_flag" condition would be good, since I can hand those out via events. If that's done, I think I could solve the other half of my issues by using custom localization to emulate the "of <realm>" part of the title. I did a similar thing in CK2.

I wrote a bit about my struggles with the new system in this post here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...the-minor-title-system.1414940/#post-26854847

I think other modders will have similar challenges, specifically the AGOT team with their "Ser" title.

Reactions:
Hi blackninja - I appreciate the prompt response :).

A "has_character_flag" condition would be good, since I can hand those out via events. If that's done, I think I could solve the other half of my issues by using custom localization to emulate the "of <realm>" part of the title. I did a similar thing in CK2.

I wrote a bit about my struggles with the new system in this post here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...the-minor-title-system.1414940/#post-26854847

I think other modders will have similar challenges, specifically the AGOT team with their "Ser" title.
I'll look at adding a flag entry for a future patch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@blackninja9939 apologies for pinging you, but would it be possible to add "autopause = yes/no" (defaulting to "no") command/parameter/whatever to both "messages" and "important_actions" so that I and others who like various notifications to autopause could at least mod that in?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really stupid question and I feel bad for asking, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else and I've only recently started playing with the files. Where are the definitions given for kingdom CoAs? I want to change the coat of arms for Sicily but I cannot for the life of me find where and what to change.

Nevermind, worked it out.

Last edited:
Currently we do not support creating your own new windows GUIs (though it is on my never ending to do list), but the easy work around there is just to make them as children of the main HUD window, which is always shown, and then you can have anything.
Does anyone know how to do this? How to make new windows by making them children of the main HUD window? And in general how to work with the GUI. Will appreciate if anyone here can help me out.

@blackninja9939 I have a complicated question. Is there a way to make army icons visible on the paper map (zoom level 20 or so)?

I found this in map_icon_layer_templates.gui, but I couldn't change it to make it viewable when zoom level is equal or above 20. Is it hardcoded?

Code:
type container_allied_unit_icon_item = container {
        name = "allied_unit_icon_item"
        datacontext = "[UnitItem.GetArmy]"
        visible = "[Not(Or(UnitItem.IsUnitItemEnemy, UnitItem.IsUnitItemHostile))]"

container_unit_effect_icons = {
            position = { 38 25 }
        }

button_group = {
            block "onclick" {
                onclick = "[UnitMapIcon.OnClickArmyGroup( Army.Self )]"
            }

I'm asking because I'm trying to make an accessibility mod for blind players. I was told by this poster that this change could make the game easier to play with OCR

Thank you in advance!

• 1Like
Reactions:
@blackninja9939 I have a complicated question. Is there a way to make army icons visible on the paper map (zoom level 20 or so)?

I found this in map_icon_layer_templates.gui, but I couldn't change it to make it viewable when zoom level is equal or above 20. Is it hardcoded?

Code:
type container_allied_unit_icon_item = container {
        name = "allied_unit_icon_item"
        datacontext = "[UnitItem.GetArmy]"
        visible = "[Not(Or(UnitItem.IsUnitItemEnemy, UnitItem.IsUnitItemHostile))]"

container_unit_effect_icons = {
            position = { 38 25 }
        }

button_group = {
            block "onclick" {
                onclick = "[UnitMapIcon.OnClickArmyGroup( Army.Self )]"
            }

I'm asking because I'm trying to make an accessibility mod for blind players. I was told by this poster that this change could make the game easier to play with OCR

Thank you in advance!

Just for further context, @blackninja9939 and anyone else interested, I'm trying to play CK3 using my screen reading program, as detailed in this post among other places. At the moment it's a little more annoying than it could be, particularly dealing with the map and armies, though honestly any help at all in making some of the relatively small changes for improved blind accessibility I outline would be very much appreciated. The "tooltips to clipboard/screen reaDer," idea alone would solve ~95% of my issues. :)

As further elucidated in the linked Reddit post, my problem with armies is that it's difficult to find them because of the pixel hunting using the map currently requires. My own units can be found in the outliner but visible enemies cannot. @Nicolas-frm suggested that he might be able to create a mod to pan to enemy units, which would help quite a bit. I just wanted to drop a note to explain myself a bit and hope for further help, as I'm very much enjoying the game thus far but it could be so much easier with a few small enhancements.

As a stopgap measure I was trying to figure out if I could copy the tooltip(s) currently displayed to the debug log, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this. The OCR and map/army issues are my two biggest right now, and are kind of interrelated. If we can solve one or both, I'll be very much happier. :)

Reactions:
Just for further context, @blackninja9939 and anyone else interested, I'm trying to play CK3 using my screen reading program, as detailed in this post among other places. At the moment it's a little more annoying than it could be, particularly dealing with the map and armies, though honestly any help at all in making some of the relatively small changes for improved blind accessibility I outline would be very much appreciated. The "tooltips to clipboard/screen reaDer," idea alone would solve ~95% of my issues. :)

As further elucidated in the linked Reddit post, my problem with armies is that it's difficult to find them because of the pixel hunting using the map currently requires. My own units can be found in the outliner but visible enemies cannot. @Nicolas-frm suggested that he might be able to create a mod to pan to enemy units, which would help quite a bit. I just wanted to drop a note to explain myself a bit and hope for further help, as I'm very much enjoying the game thus far but it could be so much easier with a few small enhancements.

As a stopgap measure I was trying to figure out if I could copy the tooltip(s) currently displayed to the debug log, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this. The OCR and map/army issues are my two biggest right now, and are kind of interrelated. If we can solve one or both, I'll be very much happier. :)

So here is the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2225500765

This is more of a start. What this currently does is pan the camera to one of the enemy troops. For now it creates a list of armies that are fighting you and pan the camera to one of them randomly each time you click the button. If you have suggestions on how to make it work better please let me know. I could make a list of buttons for every army too.

If it pans the camera and no tooltip appears, it means that the army is currently not in sight of player view (hidden by fog of war).

I added the button under the decisions tab button. But the issue with shortcuts, is apparently mods aren't allowed to add them in for the players. You will have to add it yourself if you can in the game folder.

The shortcut for such feature is called "pan_to_enemy". The shortcut folder for CK3 can be located in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings III\game\gui

The file is called "shortcuts.shortcuts". An example is to add a line:
pan_to_enemy = "F10"

F10 is currently unused in CK3 but you can replace it with any key you like.

I will continue supporting this mod with other features. If this works well, I can add a similar mechanic for ally troops as well.

I will just need your feedback on what changes may improve the experience for you. Thank you!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hi @blackninja9939 - did this make it into the 1.1 patch? I didn't see it referenced in the patch notes, however, I didn't know if a minor change in this area would've been noted. If not, do you know when we should expect it to make it into the game?

Hi @blackninja9939. It's been a few weeks, just thought I'd give this a bump to see if you saw the message.