CK3 Dev Diary #19: Factions and Civil Wars

CK3 Dev Diary #19: Factions and Civil Wars

• We will be taking the forums down to perform a site upgrade on 26 January 2020 at approximately 8AM CST (14PM UTC). This downtime is estimated to last between 6 and 8 hours.
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Morrowind3

First Lieutenant
87 Badges
Jun 2, 2011
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
The progress bars that let you keep an eye on exactly when factions are gonna revolt is a bit game-y but I like how popular revolts and peasant revolts are handled.

I assume if you're a different culture as your lord you can join in with a cultural revolt just like the AI? If you're the only (or most powerful) landed vassal in a popular revolt, do you take leadership (and thus the titles) after the revolt instead of becoming vassal to a random rowdy nobody generated for the rebellion?

Kadanz

Drive-By Memer
20 Badges
Sep 19, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines
So will we finally see a somewhat stable byzantine empire this time instead of one that's constantly hopping from one civil war into the other?

Morrowind3

First Lieutenant
87 Badges
Jun 2, 2011
  • Majesty 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Knights of Honor
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
Love all of this!
Really like that you can marry your family to your vassals now, adds a lot of fun diplomacy to the game and is historically accurate (I believe?), it's one of the main features I always wanted in ck2 and should make it more interesting when managing a large realm.
You could already marry family to vassals and keep them out of factions with a non-aggression pact in CK2, actually

Baron von Shoes

Content Designer
May 3, 2019
In the dev diary you said that the populist (By the way, why aren't they called nationalists or something along those lines? At least they seem to be all about that...) faction's new realm get a fancy generated character. Is that always the case? I think that if the faction has any landed character as a member, it would be much more interesting to have him (or the most powerful one) to become the ruler, since its a 'familiar face'.
Nationalism as a concept didn't really exist yet in our time period, and the Populist Faction is somewhat different in that regard. It's not necessarily about unifying all [culture] peoples into a single realm, but rather about a group of disgruntled peasants being unhappy with foreign or infidel rulership and deciding to do something about it. They don't particularly care about making a single unified realm for all [culture] or [religion] peoples, they just want to change their own situation.

We initially toyed with letting landed characters become leaders of the Populist Faction (and the eventual rulers of the splinter-realm) but that ended up causing a myriad of problems as landed characters make/break alliances, join/leave factions, gain/lose hooks, and ultimately create way more edge cases than we could reasonably account for. However, if an existing unlanded claimant is floating around in the character pool somewhere (for example, a displaced King of Castille if the Umayyads manage to subjugate all of Spain) they will become the Populist Leader instead of having the game generate a new one.

What is the stance of populist factions against other realms, and would it possible to interact with them if you are ruler of their religion and culture?
A very illogical and frustrating situation in CK2 was to invade the Umayyads in Spain as the Kingdom of Asturias, be winning the fight against all odds, and suddenly have a visigothic catholic rebellion against the Umayyads spawn on top of your armies and destroy them. So at least, if it is not possible to interact with them, could they be not hostile towards every single entity in the world?
I completely understand what you're saying, but unfortunately the realities of our warfare system require all parties in competing wars to be hostile to each other. Otherwise you can end up in the extremely frustrating situation where as Asturias you have occupied half of the Umayyad's territory, the Catholic rebellion has occupied the other half, and neither of you can earn enough war score to actually win the war.

Can I use a hook to persuade a fellow vassal to join my faction?
Absolutely!

Reactions:

LordofLight

Major
6 Badges
Sep 6, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
Absolutely!
But what if you use a hook on a character to not join a faction while someone is using a hook on them to join a faction?

I can see this happening in multiplayer. Or if AI uses hooks.

"Oh no they know I committed mass murder and are having me join this faction. But this other guy knows I committed mass murder and wants me to not join this faction."

Denkt

Left the forums permamently
42 Badges
May 28, 2010
I completely understand what you're saying, but unfortunately the realities of our warfare system require all parties in competing wars to be hostile to each other. Otherwise you can end up in the extremely frustrating situation where as Asturias you have occupied half of the Umayyad's territory, the Catholic rebellion has occupied the other half, and neither of you can earn enough war score to actually win the war.
Have you consider allow two sides to make an Alliance as long as they don't have similar wargoals, like the Catholic rebels would want independence for the Catholic territories while for example a ruler want to take Control over a non catholic duchy. In such case maybe the two sides could make an Alliance and press both their wargoals in one Peace deal and combine their warscore.

Reactions:

lozikk

Sergeant
12 Badges
Oct 31, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
gone are the days of “Duke McPeasantFace has declared the 19th Orthodox Uprising on you.”
But does it? Even though it's in a form of a faction now, what will prevent it from forming again and again? Will there be some kind of "exhaustion" in counties to prevent endless rebellions?

LordofLight

Major
6 Badges
Sep 6, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
I always wished I could join in and support rebels. Especially when playing zealous characters.

Andrzej I

Ætheling
81 Badges
Nov 27, 2004
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
However, if an existing unlanded claimant is floating around in the character pool somewhere (for example, a displaced King of Castille if the Umayyads manage to subjugate all of Spain) they will become the Populist Leader instead of having the game generate a new one.
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that this will be the case. Definitely fits with the CK3 declared focus of making individual characters matter more :)

I'm curious, though, is there a way the game determines which character will be the leader if there are multiple possible candidates? Random? By Fame? Some other means?

Callid

Private
41 Badges
Nov 10, 2010
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • Knights of Honor
  • Magicka
  • Sengoku
Hmm, I might have missed something, but I couldn't see anything saying that multiple populist factions are possible. Does that mean that, if there's a populist Muslim faction around, no populist Christian faction can form (assuming you're Norse or whatever)? Or can they "replace" one another?

grzegorz444

Major
7 Badges
Aug 27, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
Unlike in CK2, when a civil war is declared faction members do not form a new temporary realm. While they nominally remain vassals of their liege, they will immediately stop providing taxes and levies to them, and their liege will lose access to certain powers (such as imprisonment).
So, faction member fight separately - similar AGOT Mega war system ?

Salje

Major
78 Badges
Jun 23, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • War of the Roses
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Can new rulers join in the ongoing rebellion? Or if I keep being tyrannical towards my non-rebelling vassals during the rebellion will they just start a second rebellion?

Baron von Shoes

Content Designer
May 3, 2019
But does it? Even though it's in a form of a faction now, what will prevent it from forming again and again? Will there be some kind of "exhaustion" in counties to prevent endless rebellions?
Crushing a Peasant or Populist Revolt will give all counties in the faction a substantial opinion boost of their holder for 10 years (subject to change, balance, and of course modding) which heavily disincentivizes them from creating or joining new factions. This gives you time to address whatever problems were making the counties unhappy in the first place (including converting their culture or religion to yours, if that is how you want to solve it).

Hmm, I might have missed something, but I couldn't see anything saying that multiple populist factions are possible. Does that mean that, if there's a populist Muslim faction around, no populist Christian faction can form (assuming you're Norse or whatever)? Or can they "replace" one another?
Multiple Claimant and Populist Factions can exist at a time, though the AI generally prefers to join existing ones if the faction's goals are similar enough to their own.

There can only ever be one Independence, Liberty, and Peasant Rabble Faction at a time.

Reactions:

Baron von Shoes

Content Designer
May 3, 2019
Can new rulers join in the ongoing rebellion? Or if I keep being tyrannical towards my non-rebelling vassals during the rebellion will they just start a second rebellion?
Second rebellion. That said, since Factions will only revolt if they think they have a good chance of beating you in battle, having two Factions revolting at once is generally a bad idea...

Reactions:

aantia

Second Lieutenant
2 Badges
May 16, 2015
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
However, if an existing unlanded claimant is floating around in the character pool somewhere (for example, a displaced King of Castille if the Umayyads manage to subjugate all of Spain) they will become the Populist Leader instead of having the game generate a new one.
This is brilliant! I can forsee lots of actual historical situations working far more logically now.

Couldn't you (not necessarily on release) do something similar to how EU4 handles this? In EU4 you can 'Support Rebels', where you send cash to rebels in a country and this makes their troops non-hostile to yours, as well as giving their revolt a boost if/when it occurs. I think that's quite plausible in the situation Kukumarro described.

grzegorz444

Major
7 Badges
Aug 27, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
Populist Factions are the more dangerous type of county faction and form when counties wish to be governed by a ruler of their own culture and/or religion. While Populist Factions are created by and primarily consist of counties, sympathetic vassals in your realm may also pledge loyalty to their cause. A successful Populist revolt will cause all member counties and vassals to break away and form a new realm!

While an Independence Faction causes all members split off into their own separate realms, a Populist Faction will create a single realm with all members united under one ruler. That ruler will always share the Faction’s culture and religion, and as a hero of the liberation war they will almost always be a competent commander. In addition, a successful Populist Faction will automatically usurp or create an appropriate title for their leader to hold, which can even generate new Kingdom-tier titles in certain circumstances!
So, succesfull pupulist can create always not existed or random realm, or also curretly established for example king of France hold Duchy of Normandy as secondary and normandy populist want his own, local ruler ?

Lordy's

Captain
15 Badges
Jun 10, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
[Can I use hooks to persuade a fellow vassal to join a faction]
Absolutely!
Nice. Can one also use a hook to get another vassal under our common liege out of a faction that I don't want him to be in?

Multiple Claimant and Populist Factions can exist at a time, though the AI generally prefers to join existing ones if the faction's goals are similar enough to their own.
So they do care about their opinion of the claimant when considering whether to join or not?
And can a liege join a vassals war to help him in his fight against a faction? So that you can defend your fellow dynasty members against unreasonable claimant factions.
And the other way around: Can (and do) vassals help their liege fighting against rebellion?

Choorus

General
79 Badges
May 3, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Pillars of Eternity
Until now CK2 looks more like an RPG-themed revamp of CK2 with some 3D graphics put onto it rather than a new game. I keep hearing that the big hurdles of CK2 decade old engine are going to stay. AFAIK the terrain won't ever change, while it really should over four centuries of intense settlement. An area was a virgin wood devoid of humans in 1066? Well, it would be a shame if it had to stay that way...
Factions getting at least on par with HIP? Not gonna happen-somehow it's too taxing for modern computers. So instead of reworking them , so they become meaningful and engaging, we're going to prioritise compatibility with potato PCs. Great.
Then we're supposed to get the ridiculous religion re-moulding while we don't have any dynamic to the existing ones. Unimportant stuff like the Great Schism, celibacy of the clergy, investiture of bishops, scholastics, Gallic church autonomy, inquisition, way of electing the pope, mendicant orders, flagellants.
There's a lot of stuff to be fixed in CK2 and until now the RPG part and hooks are the only two I can recall. What do we actually get from upgrading from CK2 to CK3 apart from this one aspect?

Alssadar

Corporal
52 Badges
Jun 18, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • War of the Roses
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Will foreign powers have the ability to influence a faction or civil war? The Encourage Dissent council task in CK2 was pretty limited to a single county, and I can only give so many gifts to rebels while they stockpile it for their ransom. Or maybe have your spymaster be able to find out rebel factions and their dissent, so you have the perfect time to strike.
One famous example was how Philippe Augustus encouraged Hal and Richard's rebellions against Henry II (while Geoffrey died from an injury during a tournament on one such diplomatic missions), I disliked watching independence rebellions get put down by a rival that I'd like to see humbled.