• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK3 Dev Diary #101: The CK3 Beta Program

Howdy all,

The number #101 really set the expectations to be both the start of something new, as well as a continuation of a long standing tradition, right? So that is exactly what this entry will be about - the renewal of the Crusader Kings III Beta program.

Our Beta program has been around since before the launch of the game. We have had people joining us in different periods over the years, and there are still people with us that have been around from the very start! Their feedback is not only super insightful and valuable, but has also helped shape the landscape of the game. These things can sometimes seem trivial, but can also sometimes be the difference between a successful piece of content and something that might otherwise have been well received in a different block of content. Their efforts truly are the backbone of the testing process as well as the voice of the people!

As part of the continuous development of the program, we have now decided it’s time again to open up for new applicants!

What does it mean to be a Beta tester?

As a Beta tester you get access to content currently in development. The role is to play early versions, give feedback on experience playing with the new features and if you encounter any issues whilst playing. Since Crusader Kings is a Paradox game at its core, we have another layer in our beta program that is the Historical aspects of the game. Since we try to a large extent to be historically accurate, there is usually a lot of discussions and feedback on those areas of the game as well.

From the Devs side, we are a group of people that interact with the program continuously. Reading through feedback and thoughts, similarly how we monitor the forum and social channels, but with content not yet available to the public. We value the interaction and feedback from you guys a lot, and the Beta program is an important part of the Player / Developer interaction.

So, if you enjoy playing CK3 as much as we do, and perhaps have a niche knowledge that would benefit the group, such as a burning interest in the Kingdom of Ireland in 1101 or an extended knowledge of Medieval fashion choices in Iberia? Either way, if you think it sounds exciting to help us in the development process of upcoming content and love the Medieval period, we encourage you to send in your application to the program.

Please fill out the form HERE, and we will get back to you shortly!

Until then..

Tess & Troy
Tess-name.png
Troy-name.png

• 40Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Question: How much time does it take to be a beta tester approximately? I would like to participate, but I'm not sure, if I can afford to spend much time on it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I appreciate the heads up.

Reactions:
Just want to put in my thanks here to the team and the re-opening of the Beta Program!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Exploiting your customers' passion for the game to get free beta testing work out of them? How very AAA of you, Paradox.

This is not an open source project, or even a small indie project. I just can't see how expecting donations of time and effort to a product that will then be have to be paid for is anything but a cold, cynical move.

Paradox, I like your games, and as a gaming company, I still consider you as One Of The Good Ones(tm), but this is... I am having trouble finding polite words for it.

• 4Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
i like that image that shows Tess

Beta Testing, when even confirmed bugs since months are not fixed, or threads at bugforum are "ignored" this feels strange and not good
if PDX make big improvements at fixing bugs and do an extra effort for the translations then i will consider to join the Beta-Test-Programm

• 1Like
Reactions:
Exploiting your customers' passion for the game to get free beta testing work out of them? How very AAA of you, Paradox.

This is not an open source project, or even a small indie project. I just can't see how expecting donations of time and effort to a product that will then be have to be paid for is anything but a cold, cynical move.

Paradox, I like your games, and as a gaming company, I still consider you as One Of The Good Ones(tm), but this is... I am having trouble finding polite words for it.
Plenty of people would beta test for free. Heck, plenty of people would PAY to beta test new content they're excited about. This is how it has always worked. People line up to beta test games and most of them don't get the chance.

Your concern for the compensation of beta testers is misguided. I assure you that being able to access the new content is compensation enough for most of them.

Reactions:
So, am I misunderstanding this, or does this mean there's a possible opportunity to help steer the game in a certain direction if one thinks it could be interesting?

While I don't have PDS beta testing experience I'd imagine you should set your expectations much closer to "This event chain relevant to the scope of the DLC is unfun and should be changed!"/"This number in [new feature] is too high!"/"A few events about [thing relevant to the scope of the next DLC] would be nice to have!" and "Hey, I'm working on [thing] you said you were interested in/knew a bit about; do you have any good reference literature and/or suggestions?" than "You should add [major feature]/make a DLC about [thing]/completely overhaul [a major part of the game]!". Larger stuff you suggest would probably be treated the same way as larger suggestions from random forumites, with the only advantage being possibly being able to make suggestions concerning features in development a bit sooner because you know about them sooner.

Basically, you are applying to be a tester providing feedback/bug reports/etc. to hopefully ensure a smoother and "better" release of the next update, not a decision-maker on even the level of the average dev. In exchange for this, you get to play with stuff a bit sooner and maybe (I don't see anything in the OP, but...) some other small benefits (e.g. an Easter Egg character, a DLC key, a public thanks if your help was particularly valuable), plus (assuming you actually helped test, as there's unfortunately a tendency for there to be beta testers that mainly apply to play (quite possibly in ways/areas unconductive to providing feedback on relevant features; I've both been that kind of "tester" once (I was younger and foolisher) and had the "pleasure" of having such "testers"...) possibly slightly preferential treatment when selecting beta testers for other PDS games and possibly a point in your favour should you ever apply for a PDS job where it might be useful.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Plenty of people would beta test for free. Heck, plenty of people would PAY to beta test new content they're excited about. This is how it has always worked. People line up to beta test games and most of them don't get the chance.

Your concern for the compensation of beta testers is misguided. I assure you that being able to access the new content is compensation enough for most of them.
My concern is certainly not misguided. This is exactly the exploitation I am talking about. The game development industry is known for decades to abuse this "wow, I'm working on games, my dream since childhood!" sentiment of young, inexperienced workers to have them tolerate outrageous working conditions, and this is just another expression of the same - getting free labor out of passionate people.

I mean, good for you if you think having temporary advance access to a new commercial product is a good trade-off for giving your limited time in this world, but it is not. I guess everyone will have to figure this out for themselves eventually.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I guess everyone will have to figure this out for themselves eventually.
Exactly. Everyone decides for themselves. You don't have to sign up for beta testing if you don't think it's worth it. But looks like PDX has enough volunteers who are happy to be a part of this program; otherwise it wouldn't exist.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Question: How much time does it take to be a beta tester approximately? I would like to participate, but I'm not sure, if I can afford to spend much time on it.
There is no absolute answer to this, some play a lot, some less, some during certain periods. But the main factor being that you come back to the game frequently and enjoy it.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Well, we are all different and being a Beta is very much voluntary. Since we devs see the game every day and know every bit and piece of it, having Beta testers as part of the process helps us get closer to the player perspective and discover things that we might not otherwise. We appreciate having that kind of feedback, and as far as I can tell, the people in the Beta program also enjoy contributing with just that. But indeed, it is not perhaps something that is for everyone, and what fun would it be if we all had the same interests or passions :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
My concern is certainly not misguided. This is exactly the exploitation I am talking about. The game development industry is known for decades to abuse this "wow, I'm working on games, my dream since childhood!" sentiment of young, inexperienced workers to have them tolerate outrageous working conditions, and this is just another expression of the same - getting free labor out of passionate people.

I mean, good for you if you think having temporary advance access to a new commercial product is a good trade-off for giving your limited time in this world, but it is not. I guess everyone will have to figure this out for themselves eventually.
PDS has been running closed BETA programs for small groups since almost the founding of the company, the purpose isn't to abuse the passion of fans but provide a dedicated few with the ability to contribute to development in even a small way such as crowdsourcing historical knowledge together and yes finding bugs in early code. These testers are even credited with every DLC, these are not unpaid QA positions at the end of the day and never have been.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.