• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #10 - Lifestyle Events

Greetings and salutations!

I am one of the Content Designers at Paradox, where I have been working on Crusader Kings III for the past 2 years. You may have seen me poking around our Discord channel on occasion, or here on the forms in the last Dev Diary. Today I am here with the next installment in the Lifestyles series, where I will be talking about Lifestyle Events.

We have already covered a good deal of how Lifestyles work from a systemic point of view, but how do they influence your character’s story? What does your Lifestyle mean to your ruler beyond some bonus skill points and a handful of perks?

Much like in CK2, when you pick a Lifestyle Focus you will begin getting events related to that Focus. Unlike in CK2, however, these events are not mere stepping stones toward acquiring a Lifestyle Trait, as that progression is handled by the perk system. Instead, Lifestyle Events in CK3 represent the various opportunities (or crises!) that have arisen as a result of the extra time and attention your ruler has been devoting to their Focus.

For example, if you pick the ‘Stewardship - Domain’ Focus, you will begin receiving events about the management of your ruler’s domain and the holdings within it. You can choose to be strict or lenient, fair or corrupt, generous or greedy, etc. While there is rarely a ‘correct’ answer, the choices you make here will influence the prosperity of your realm, the size of your treasury, and how your ruler will be remembered in history books.

events_01-wm.jpg

Then again, you might prefer to take the ‘Intrigue - Temptation’ Focus, where you will receive events about seduction, desires, and covertness. You can lead your courtiers and vassals on, manipulating them into doing favors for you or interceding with others on your behalf. You can sustain long-term affairs, planting agents in foreign courts who will do your bidding when the time is right. Or, just maybe, you’re simply the type of person who wants to have a good time, seducing every lady or lord you desire, indulging in a wild revelry of stress-relieving hedonism and debauchery? The choice is yours to make!

events_03-wm.jpg

There are many more Focuses besides these two, of course, such as ‘Learning - Scholarship’, where you will get the chance to delve into old books to study natural philosophy and run questionable experiments — here you can decide just how far you will go in the search for knowledge, and if it is worth it to push the boundaries of church doctrine to discover the secrets of nature...

events_02-wm.jpg

...as well as the more practical ‘Diplomacy - Family’ Focus, where your attention to your family will give you opportunities to improve relations between relatives, enhance the prestige of your dynasty, and even take a more active role in molding your heir to be a worthy successor for your great legacy!

events_04-wm.jpg

In addition, your rulers are savvy individuals (or would at least like to think so); they won’t just single-mindedly pursue their Focus at the expense of all else. You will also receive occasional events pertaining to other Focuses within the same Lifestyle, representing various opportunities you have discovered that you weren’t necessarily pursuing, but would still be foolish to ignore. This will help mix things up a little and make keeping the same Focus for a long time more interesting.

Taken all together, Lifestyle Events become an integral part of the Lifestyles system in CK3 that define how your current ruler lives their life and what impact that has on their realm and dynasty. Many of the choices you will have to make have both pros and cons, which means what you decide to do as one ruler may be very different from what you do as another. Since each of your rulers will have different reasons for picking a Focus, this will lead to varied and interesting gameplay across multiple generations, as each subsequent ruler is presented with a wide variety of new and changing situations to take advantage of in pursuit of their ambitions.

That's all for now, but be sure to join us next week for an in-depth dive into the Intrigue Lifestyle, featuring the Seducer and Torturer perk trees!

• 4Like
Reactions:
I hope that there are several options that are tied to your characters traits (as there are some in CK2). This would add to the feeling of your characters being special and unique.

We definitely still have them, though they tend to be less common than in CK2. In most situations characters will instead have the option of going against their personality, but accrue Stress for doing so. This can still make playing a Brave or Diligent ruler feel special, as even in mundane situations your ruler's personality can influence how you choose to act.

Excellent Dev Diary!

Referring to the last screenshot: Will the option to attempt to rectify your heir's flaws give your heir stress?

Maaaybe.

More information on Stress will be coming in a future Dev Diary ;)

Wait, during a ruler's life are they locked entirely into a single lifestyle (other than the one time perk reset)? Is switching to a different lifestyle, while retaining perks gained by the last lifestyle impossible?

Wait, during a ruler's life are they locked entirely into a single lifestyle (other than the one time perk reset)? Is switching to a different lifestyle, while retaining perks gained by the last lifestyle impossible?

When you change your Focus you can pick a new Focus from any the 5 different Lifestyles. You also keep all perks you earned from any Lifestyle active, even when practising a different Lifestyle.

Apart from a short cooldown after picking a new Focus, you can change your character's Focus (and thus Lifestyle) whenever you please.

While there is rarely a ‘correct’ answer
As others have said, very much appreciate this change from CK2!
Planting agents in foreign courts who will do your bidding when the time is right <...> Take a more active role in molding your heir to be a worthy successor for your great legacy!
These two possibilities for events definitely stand out to me. Curious to see how it ends up playing out :)
You will also receive occasional events pertaining to other Focuses within the same Lifestyle, representing various opportunities you have discovered that you weren’t necessarily pursuing, but would still be foolish to ignore. This will help mix things up a little and make keeping the same Focus for a long time more interesting.
This, too, sounds like a great change! As @Dunaedine asked/suggested, would be nice if these events gave some XP to other lifestyles. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to mod?
Apart from a short cooldown after picking a new Focus, you can change your character's Focus (and thus Lifestyle) whenever you please.
Yes! Another great change from CK2. It was bothersome to pick, say, Seduction to seduce a specific person... and then be locked into it for years afterwards.

Aah, there was some discussion in the last dev diary comments that led me to believe that rulers couldn't change lifestyle, Thank you for clearing this up for me.

How events are designed totaly is there flat successe rates for some options or your stats and traits matter tu success in events. Lets say that first event where you discover traces of corruption and decide to investigate it discreetly does your traits and stats matter on succes or it just flat go throught event chain.

It would be nice if these events gave some XP to other lifestyles. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to mod?

For the vanilla game we want to keep a strong Focus ( :p ) on practising a particular Lifestyle if you want to earn progress towards unlocking that Lifestyle's perks. As a result, only very special events give characters the opportunity to earn perks outside of their Lifestyle. However, as you noted, it would not be hard at all to mod (trivial, really).
Yes! Another great change from CK2. It was bothersome to pick, say, Seduction to seduce a specific person... and then be locked into it for years afterwards.
There is still the lock-in period, that is the cooldown I mentioned. However, this specific situation will no longer be an issue, as the Seduce scheme is now available to everyone regardless of Lifestyle. Of course, if you progress down the Seducer perk tree you will be much, much better at seducing people than if you hadn't, and like all perks, once you've unlocked them you get to keep them and their effects — even if you later switch to a different Lifestyle.

I have a couple of questions:

1.So does every lifestyle have three perk trees (/focuses)?
1.1 If so what's the third one in the intrigue lifestyle?

2. Also, do you unlock lifestyle traits (the ones revealed last week) per completed focus tree or per lifestyle?
2.1 By which I mean can you unlock, say the torturer focus trait, stay within the lifestyle, and then also unlock the seducer lifestyle trait?
2.2 If you can stay within a lifestyle and master each focus is there any further benefit from being a master of every focus in the lifestyle?

There is still the lock-in period, that is the cooldown I mentioned.
Ah, yes, I figured that, but from the mention of it being a "short cooldown", I was perhaps optimistically thinking it wouldn't be a five year cooldown like in CK2. Still, as mentioned, with the exporting of actions such as seduction to be schemes... it makes choosing a lifestyle less of a gateway to actions and instead more of a flavorful choice, which I approve of fully!

How events are designed totaly is there flat successe rates for some options or your stats and traits matter tu success in events. Lets say that first event where you discover traces of corruption and decide to investigate it discreetly does your traits and stats matter on succes or it just flat go throught event chain.
Success chance is almost always influenced by your skills and traits, as well as various other modifiers. Flat success chances are extremely rare.

This is especially true with Lifestyle events, which due to their very nature are directly tied to a specific character skill.

I have a couple of questions:

1.So does every lifestyle have three perk trees (/focuses)?
1.1 If so what's the third one in the intrigue lifestyle?

2. Also, do you unlock lifestyle traits (the ones revealed last week) per completed focus tree or per lifestyle?
2.1 By which I mean can you unlock, say the torturer focus trait, stay within the lifestyle, and then also unlock the seducer lifestyle trait?
2.2 If you can stay within a lifestyle and master each focus is there any further benefit from being a master of every focus in the lifestyle?

1. Yes to both.
1.1 Spoilers!

2. Per completed Focus tree.
2.1 Yes.
2.2 No additional bonus for completing all 3 perk trees.

1. If I choose "stewardship-wealth" will I still get the trading ship events from CKII?
2. Will the duke, count of Nancy also get the same event?

Question: We've been told we can switch Lifestyles every 5 years as in CK2. Does this mean we can switch Foci within a Lifestyle more often than that, or is it simply that we can switch Foci every 5 years?

Additionally I'm wondering what even the reason is for such a long timelimit? It never sat well with me in CK2 and I'm a bit disappointed to see it return for 3. Since we can only get XP and events for the lifestyle we're currently in, it doesn't seem like it would be overpowered or anything to let us switch more often. I can see the logic, that you would have to stick with something for a certain length of time, or it wouldn't really make sense to call it a focus, but I don't really get why that should be much more than 6-12 months or something.

Or maybe I was mistaken? I thought rageair said 5 years last week, but is the cooldown actually shorter than that?

Last edited:
1. If I choose "stewardship-wealth" will I still get the trading ship events from CKII?
2. Will the duke, count of Nancy also get the same event?
1. No, we've avoided copy-pasting events from CK2 directly into CK3. There should still be plenty of money-grubbing content in CK3 for you to enjoy, however.
2. These events are about your Domain specifically, so there is no Duke/Count of Nancy (or rather, you yourself are the Duke/Count of Nancy).

Question: We've been told we can switch Lifestyles every 5 years as in CK2. Does this mean we can switch Foci within a Lifestyle more often than that, or is it simply that we can switch Foci every 5 years?

Additionally I'm wondering what even the reason is for such a long timelimit? It never sat well with me in CK2 and I'm a bit disappointed to see it return for 3. Since we can only get XP and events for the lifestyle we're currently in, it doesn't seem like it would be overpowered or anything to let us switch more often. I can see the logic, that you would have to stick with something for a certain length of time, or it wouldn't really make sense to call it a focus, but I don't really get why that should be much more than 6-12 months or something.

You can only change your Focus every 5 years, be that inside or outside of your Lifestyle.

The rationale behind this is that every Focus grants rather substantial bonuses to your character. Allowing them to be changed too frequently encourages a rather tedious kind of min-maxing where you swap to Medicine when you get sick, Strategy when you declare war, Control after conquering new counties, Theology to convert those counties, then Domain to develop those counties, etc.

The good news is that if you still dislike this restriction, the cooldown duration can be modded easily. You can reduced to as little as 1 month, or even eliminate it entirely if you prefer.

Do these means Stress?
stress.PNG

This has been my favorite DD so far! Also, I love the improvements to the characters’ looks. I’m actually starting to get very excited for this game!

Sounds very nice!

I particularly enjoy the part where events related with other focuses also make an appearance from time to time, even if I would even go as far as including very rarely focuses from other lifestyles.