• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #09 - Lifestyles

Greetings! Today we’ll be taking a look at a new and exciting feature in CK3 - the Lifestyle system!

Now, to start off, the lifestyles of CK3 have very little in common with those in CK2. The system has been changed and is vastly improved and much more interactive than CK2’s system. In fact, we have proper skill trees now, much like those you would find in an RPG. You will gather experience and unlock perks, which conveys all kinds of bonuses to your character! This allows you to tailor your character to your needs, immerse yourself in their story, and provides a lot of replayability, as it’s not only about what perks you get, but also when you get them.

There are five Lifestyle categories, with each category containing three full skill trees. You first choose the Lifestyle you want, and then you select a focus within it.

DD_LS_1.png

The focuses convey immediate bonuses, much like they did in CK2 - you usually pick the Focus that provides the modifier you most need at the moment. For example, if you desperately need piety you can pick the Theology Focus, while if you have just conquered a large amount of land the Authority Focus might be more appropriate. You can pick any Focus within a Lifestyle to gain experience within it, the Focuses do not correspond to specific trees.

Each Focus also comes with its own unique set of events, connected to the theme of the Focus. If you have the Temptation focus selected you might get events about subtly manipulating your vassals and guests, finding out their secrets or gaining hooks, while if you have the Wealth focus selected it might see you levy extra taxes upon your peasants, among other things. More on this in the next weeks DD.

DD_LS_2.png

After you’ve picked a Focus, you will start gaining experience and can start unlocking perks!

Now, characters will not usually live long enough to unlock every perk. You will have to choose which path to go down, and you will unlock a new perk every few years. Perks are unlocked by spending experience, which is gained both passively (symbolizing that your character dabbles in subjects pertaining to their lifestyle during their free time) and actively (through choices in Lifestyle events, etc).

Perks are wonderful things that unlock all manner of possibilities and opportunities. Going down the right paths will unlock special modifiers, decisions, casus bellis, and even schemes. Some perks will modify existing systems to work differently for your character - for example, going down the Avarice path makes Stress (more on this in a later DD) have some positive effects. There are perks that make your troops fight better, that make factions stay in line, or that fortify your health. Really, you’ll be spoilt for choice - and we’ll go into more detail on what each Lifestyle is capable of in the coming weeks!

DD_LS_3.png

The final Perk in each tree always gives you a trait, which is very powerful (think the Master Seducer trait in CK2), nicely rounding them off. If you live long enough, you’ll see yourself accumulate a few of these.

DD_LS_4.png

Can you guess the traits? 15 of these traits are tied to the Lifestyle trees, the remaining can be gained through special events and activities.

While you won’t start using Lifestyles and unlocking perks before you’re an adult, it really begins during childhood. Depending on the education you get, you will have an affinity for a certain Lifestyle - now this doesn’t mean that you’re stuck with that Lifestyle, of course, you can choose any lifestyle regardless of your education. The education ranks directly correspond to a percentage increase in experience gained, a rank one education will give a 10% bonus, and a rank four one a 40% bonus, and so on.

When a character becomes landed they will select a focus and unlock perks based on their age - the older they are, the more perks they will have unlocked. They will select an appropriate Lifestyle based on their education (making it even more important to manage your children’s education carefully), and perks based on their personality and traits. Do not worry though, if you’re not satisfied with the hand you’re dealt you can choose to reset all perks (within that Lifestyle) once per lifetime - though this will incur a massive amount of Stress (again, more on this in a later DD). Sometimes it’s worth playing the hand you’re dealt - perhaps going along with your lustful heir's seductive tendencies could open up a venue you hadn’t even considered?

In the next few weeks we’ll dive deeper into the various aspects of the Lifestyle system, so stay tuned!

• 8Like
Reactions:
Very interesting, but I'm not totally sure about the possibility to reset the caracter perks, seems immersive-breaker.
I hope at least the experience invested on it will not be refounded

Very, you can add new perks, change which perks lead to the next ones in the trees, add new per trees, focuses and lifestyles entirely!

I'm looking forward to see that.

It also makes it an interesting choice on whether to land your children. If you land them then they will build up experience and perks by the time you take them over BUT they might not pick the lifestyle or perks you want.

I think you got it wrong. When somebody is landed he get perks based on his education. The older he is at that moment the more perks he get. If someone is landed at 80 he would get a lot of perks (which is a little weird now that I think about it. I'm not sure i like it)

It is a good reason why traits should affect xp gain, a kind character should have a hard time to focus on intrigue but do better at diplomacy while a cruel one should be the opposite.

That is were Stress enter in the equation. If you are Kind and i.e. plot to kill somebody you'd get some stress, the more you act unkindly the more stress you gain. I assume eventually you would lose the Kind trait (if the stress don't kill you first.)

I think you got it wrong. When somebody is landed he get perks based on his education. The older he is at that moment the more perks he get. If someone is landed at 80 he would get a lot of perks (which is a little weird now that I think about it. I'm not sure i like it)

That is were Stress enter in the equation. If you are Kind and i.e. plot to kill somebody you'd get some stress, the more you act unkindly the more stress you gain. I assume eventually you would lose the Kind trait (if the stress don't kill you first.)
I think the approach they've taken makes it somewhat better to not land your heir, but if you do land your heir, you still get the option to completely restart the perk selection once at a great cost, which I think is a reasonable idea.

totally not related, but I wonder why all perks have the same background color. If a perk from intrigue lifestyle, a purple background would be better?
Or maybe this is just in development and that light blue is default?

Is it possible to disable the reset perks feature? I’d like to be able to remove most of the more gamey mechanics. I also think not being able to reset perks means ensuring a good heir inherits is even more important.

Is it possible to disable the reset perks feature? I’d like to be able to remove most of the more gamey mechanics. I also think not being able to reset perks means ensuring a good heir inherits is even more important.
Is not that itself gamey? Im how do you know if somebody will make a good ruler or not?

They removed immortality for more realistic medieval immersion

I read (somewhere, dunno where) that, at launch, the game won't have any mystical/magical elements. Assuming that's accurate I hope it's not the case indefinitely since I liked the mystical elements rather a lot and the game rules were a neat solution for people who didn't.

With each diary it looks better. The lifestyle trees are amazing. Another thing I really loved was yhe system of secrets and hooks was really interesting.

Something I would like to see:

-More power for the regent when the king is a child for example. Maybe, regents coul give titles, declare wars, laws ... It would be really interesting and you should be careful when yo choose someone for this position. Also, it would be interesting when yo are the regent and you can rule de kingdom or duchy when the lord can't. In CK2 being a regent is so useless.

-Regarding to de council, i would like to improve the sytstem when the player is the chancellor, the spymaster, ... not only earning prestige but also more power for yourself. For instance, when the player is the spymaster and your lord sends you to discover plots, it would be okey if you could not to show some of them when you are interested in them. Also, other examples: not claiming the title your lord make you to claim, not to convert a county to the religion of the Lord, ... There are hundred of possibilties. Being part of the council means more power and influence for the player, I want people fight in order to get a position in the council. Also, it would be fine if you coul use secrets to achieve this council position and after, with tis position, increase your power in the kingdom.

-Peace treaty more developed. It could be cool claiming different titles for different vassals or courtier at same time. Also, it would be fine lord could sign bilateral treaties, for example, the King of France gives one vassal (duke of Holland) to the Kaiser, and the Kaiser gives other vassal (duke of Bourgogne) to the King of France.

-It would be fine if you could try to buy some titles. For example, if the King of Norway is figthing in a war a he has an enormous debt, you could offer money (a lot), in orden to buy a title.

-Also, it would be awesome if revolts were improved. When someone claims a title, or when a civil war starts, it would be more dynamic and realsitic if vassals could decide who support, even changing of side during the war sometimes, because one offers them some money, a title, or a position in the council.

-Also, another good thing would be the possibility of giving privileges to a barony, a county, a duchy or a character. For example, less taxes, giving less soldiers to a war, ... in order to improve the relations with the population of a county or barony or with the vassals or in order reward their loyalty. On the other hand, the possibilty of increase taxes, soldiers or others, to a county, barony or duchy so as to earn more money or punish them.

-Also, it will be fantastic if vassals were not furious about a law I have changed three kings befores, I mean, if high crown authority have been in force for 150 years, my vassals, who only has known this law, shouldn't be annoyed, not as if I have changed the law yesterday :( .

-Other interesting things could be: bastards could apply for his legitimation, consorts have more power, you can force prisoners to get married with someone you want (in spite their religion), special options for lunatic characters (giving a county to your horse and other stupid things :) ), ... I would like to see at the end of the game statistics about all titles that the dinasty had also.

Those are some ideas, from my point of view, I would really enjoy playing. CK3 could be one of the best games of history if the old options are more develop. Dream is free...

Thanks for making the game.

Last edited:
I think resetting perks is a player-only feature, so by not using it yourself, i would end up being effectively "disabled" in a single-player game. That said, having a game rule to disable the option might not be amiss either, I suppose.

Will unlocked perks always be active, regardless of which life style you are using at the moment? How much frequent can you swap life style?
Yes, they're always active. You can swap around every 5 years.

I think you got it wrong. When somebody is landed he get perks based on his education. The older he is at that moment the more perks he get.
While this is true, landing a character will almost always result in them gaining more experience over time, and thus more perks, than just landing them while already old.

Let me see if I get it. There are 5 Lifestyles each with 3 perk trees. I can change Lifestyles every 5 years, but the EXP won't carry over. I can also reset all the perks bought within a Lifestyle once in my life, and this will leave any other perks from other Lifestyles I may have untouched. All perks from all Lifestyles will be active no matter which my current Lifestyle is.

Is that correct?

You have... 12 of them correct, but I won't tell you which ones ;)
You're missing

Physician
Galiant
Justice
Physician
Family Man
Overseer

I don't know what the others are

@rageair How'd I do this time? I made some stabs in the dark, too!View attachment 538942
My guess is you got a lot of them right, but I'm spotting a few that I'm pretty sure are mistakes: The one that you labeled 'Gardener' is clearly a family tree, so that one would have to be 'Family Man'. The two others I'm much less sure of, but I think the one you labeled 'Imperial Dynast' is probably related to Medicine, and the one you labeled 'Astronomer' almost has to have something to do with religion.

These are my speculation so far on the lifestyle traits
Probably doctor is wrong assumption, can’t really think what the eye and the guy in pose are(not strong/brawny as they are physical traits? Perhaps brawny is now a lifestyle trait?)

Attachments

• 8FA39FD6-2695-41DD-979B-0F81EC8D4CEB.jpeg
    8FA39FD6-2695-41DD-979B-0F81EC8D4CEB.jpeg
    404,3 KB · Views: 271