• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #07 - Characters & Portraits

Greetings!

Today we’re taking a look at what makes up a character in CK3. As you already know, the game revolves around characters and all the things they get up to, so to make it interesting we have to make sure that they have as much personality as possible!

To start off; each character still has skills and traits, just like in CK2. Their skills determine how well they can do different things, a character will high Diplomacy will be well-liked, while one with high Martial will excel as a commander. The main source of these skills are traits, the foremost of which is the Personality Traits.

Unlike CK2, where personality traits were much like any other trait, we’ve decided to put more emphasis on the personality traits in CK3. In CK2 you could easily end up with 5-8 personality traits without much effort, but then what really defined you? It was hard to get a grip on who a character really was, something we’ve improved in CK3. Personality traits now have a massive effect on the behavior of each individual character, so when a character is Greedy you’ll really feel it. To emphasize this, characters tend to not have more than 3 personality traits so that you can at a quick glance tell who they are (other types of traits are of course still unlimited).

Personality_traits.png

Personality Trait icons. Can you guess which one is which?

We’ve also added a feature where a character's personality is summed up in two words, which is then displayed in their character view. This is very useful when, for example, assigning vassals or getting agents. A ‘Rapacious Blackguard’ might not make for the most loyal vassal, but quite a good agent, while an ‘Honorable Empath’ would be the opposite!

character_portraits_01.jpg

Prestige and Piety remain in CK3, though with a new element to them. In CK2, you accumulated prestige that you then spent on various things - this rarely made much sense, why would launching an invasion suddenly make everyone like you less, for example? Therefore we’ve decided to split the currency part of prestige/piety from the perception part. In CK3, all prestige and piety accumulated by a character will contribute towards their Level of Fame/Devotion. These have various effects, for example, your Level of Fame increases the opinion of all secular rulers (as it did in CK2), give your more Knights, and unlocks special interactions - such as invasions should you be Tribal. Your Level of Devotion increases the opinion of the clergy and allows you to declare better Holy Wars among other things. These levels range between 0-5, with 0 representing disgrace. Instead of only losing prestige when doing truly dishonorable things, such as breaking a truce, you now also lose Levels of Fame, making the whole thing more of a hard choice. Accumulated prestige and piety can be used for various things as a currency, just like in CK2, prestige being used for vassal interactions, decisions, and war, while piety is the primary resource used when interacting with the church.

Exalted.png

Before moving on to the Portraits themselves, I’d like to mention genetic traits! Traits such as Strong and Genius were much sought-after in CK2, and you often went out of your way to breed those traits into your direct line. In CK3 this is even more involved, with genetic traits having multiple levels that you can improve with successive generations (which can be sped up by inbreeding!), and there’s also more of them. Genetic traits will often have a visual effect on your portrait - the Beautiful line of traits will make your characters more-and-more symmetrical, for example. On the negative end of the spectrum, we have traits such as Ugly or Albino, which will reduce symmetry or alter your character's skin tone respectively (the Middle Ages were full of prejudice).

Now, without further ado, let's move on to the Portrait section, hosted by our very own portrait artist, Nils!

So, when it comes to the visual presentation of characters in the game, we've chosen to switch out the 2D "paperdoll" style portraits of CK2 for full animated 3D characters in CK3. While the portraits in CK2 undeniably have their charm, going 3D just gives us so many more possibilities for all kinds of dynamic features.

Every character has a DNA in which their appearance is defined. Each facial feature that we can control has its own gene. And there's a great number of those to give us a lot of variations and an endless amount of possible faces. For example, the nose alone has over 10 different parameters that define its shape. Compared to just one in CK2.

Another thing we wanted to change is how much of the character we display in the UI. This is, of course, the middle ages we are talking about, where a person's clothes are a more important indicator of who they are than even their facial features. So it made sense to show more of the body than just head and shoulders. How fancy and expensive a character’s clothing looks will give you as player information about their rank. The larger frame also allows us to show different animated poses, and as Alex mentioned above they give a hint of the character’s personality. Additionally, we can do more with body types as well. Characters have different heights (yes including dwarfism and gigantism) as well as different weights and body composition, something that is affected by their lifestyle and traits. So if your character is a gluttonous hedonist, chances are they will have a body rather on the stout side of things while if they are a legendary warrior their pecs and deltoids will also likely be of the legendary variety.

character_portraits_02.jpg

Other cool features that the 3D system allows us to do is seamless aging and disease overlays. Now you can see your toddler gradually change into an adult and eventually (barring any unforeseen incidents...) to an elderly 100-year old. Should your character, heavens forbid, catch a serious illness their appearance will reflect that with suitably repulsive skin texture overlays.

We will have a more in-depth look at the portraits in a future dev diary, so stay tuned for that!

• 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Quite honestly, absolutely no fan of this Dev Diary. Characters having only 3 traits feels like a joke, and is another step back from CK2. I really loved how I could create whatever kind of character I imagined with all the different traits, but that seems now gone. All we are allowed to have is a flat and one-dimensional carricature of a character. Quite ironic, since the artworks went from two to threedimensional. Not liking that one either. Sure, I think we will get used to the new art in time, but from a modding perspective I am seriously afraid. There is just no way to get a cute anime style modded in there, or historical accurate pictures if they exist.
At this point I am already pretty sure, that I won't play CK3, and just stay with my beloved CK2, until in 10 years all the dumb decisions get worked out.

Reactions:
While I was fairly fond of the portrait system in Crusader Kings II, I'm pleased to see that it appears that the sequel is inclined to take full advantage of the new portrait system with a more robust system of trait-based physical representation, especially with regard to aging and physical fitness. On the subject of the traits themselves, however, I must confess to be somewhat disappointed at characters only possessing only a handful of personality traits, despite the total number and variety appearing to have increased (and the new icons are growing on me, it's the lion and chicken that did it, I think): people, even medieval people, are not such simple creatures that the entirety of their existence can be encompassed by a simple two word description. I worry this kind of thing is going to lead to even more unrealistic, monomaniacal AI behavioral patterns without the presence of other traits to balance things out.

(...) people, even medieval people, are not such simple creatures that the entirety of their existence can be encompassed by a simple two word description. I worry this kind of thing is going to lead to even more unrealistic, monomaniacal AI behavioral patterns without the presence of other traits to balance things out.

Yeah. Unless there is a lot more, roleplaying wise, coming in future DD, I'm no fan of the 3 traits max policy.

So does the little devil and little angel on the traits change based on religion so traits will grant religious appeal based on the actual religions of the character instead of just christianity like in ck2?

Also I think the characters don't look that bad but they still need to work on the shading and lighting so they look less cartoony.

Could I assume that CK3 now supports ttf-format fonts?

Then, if you don't mind me asking some questions about Character names.
1. How would AI choose the name of a custom house in CK3?
2. Will the Human Name Randomisation System in CK3 be more intelligent than that in CK2? At least, Please do not mix the religious names with cultural ones in the culture folder. For that I have been pissed off by random pagan Michaels.
In CK2, 1. Normally you can't consult religious books to seek a name for your baby - AI will only randomise culture-specific names.
2. While there is the case of mass conversion, religious names would not convert to their culture-specific forms.​

The characters and the 3D portraits looks great!
Will there be white people as well? Everyone looks very brown?

I also like the fact you are making the genetics system more advanced! Good work.

Will some characters be more genetically predisposed (or disposed due to healthy eating or perhaps less stress and more optimism) to looking relatively young for their age, as they advance in their age number? For example, I'm of the age of thirty, but I've been told that I look more as though around the age of twenty. Could we see any of that in some characters? This pertains to having features that appear to "age more slowly," but in a genetic or lifestyle context, perhaps even due to an Immortal trait, if one is added to this game.

Also, I believe that many Crusader Kings fans would appreciate an ability to create new characters before starting a game, something like the Ruler Designer function that is in Crusader Kings II. Is that something we can expect to see with the release of the game, or a little later into its development?

“Atheist” seems out of context. What about “cynic” or “heathen” or “apostate” or “unbeliever”

I agree. During the Middle Ages, such individuals would have more likely been understood within the cultural-linguistic contexts of their societies as doubters, unbelievers, apostates, or cynics, among probably other terms applied to them. The term Atheist existed in its modern context since only mainly beginning around the 18th century, although it was first used by very few during the Renaissance Era. While the ancient Greeks had a term that was akin to the modern usage of Atheist, it does not seem to have held through to the Middle Ages, under most circumstances whatever available to us, within written records.

The characters we have witnessed so far look accurate to the types of ethnicities they are supposed to come from, to me, but I do think that the British and Scandinavian groups could do with a little more of a genetic predisposition towards looking a little more of a pale pink skin tone, than a more greyish pale or a tan pale complexion that we see with the current examples of faces. Plenty of Northwestern and Northern Europeans look quite a bit more pink looking, relative to most or many other European groups, in my experiences of whom I have seen. Usually, people with those complexions don't tan so much as just get a little more darker pink or red.

Not every Northwestern or Northern European needs to look a little pink, as plenty of them, particularly apparent in Britain and Ireland, but also among Scandinavians, have these kind of light tan skin colors, even Mediterranean looking complexions, at times. Of these people, perhaps no greater amounts of examples may be found than with the Welsh people, of whom the ancient Romans remarked about their Silures tribe forebears, as looking more Iberian than Brythonic, in appearance. Even Southern Europeans, and even Middle Easterners (quite a few Jews, and probably fewer Arabs) could have pinkish, rufous skin tones and also ginger hair colors, at times!

Unlike CK2, where personality traits were much like any other trait, we’ve decided to put more emphasis on the personality traits in CK3. In CK2 you could easily end up with 5-8 personality traits without much effort, but then what really defined you? It was hard to get a grip on who a character really was, something we’ve improved in CK3. Personality traits now have a massive effect on the behavior of each individual character, so when a character is Greedy you’ll really feel it. To emphasize this, characters tend to not have more than 3 personality traits so that you can at a quick glance tell who they are (other types of traits are of course still unlimited).

The more I have thought about this, I don't like the new system for traits. I do not see why characters cannot be more complex, and less simplistic for what they are known for in life. Usually, we know what a character's job is meant to be, based on their title, their skills, and some of their traits that contribute to their main skill or two, and some characters are truly exceptional, enterprising people with capacity for more skillfully-inclined traits, or happen to have such illustrious reputations during their lives, whether good or bad, such as with virtues and vices.

Why are we only reduced to around 3 traits for most characters, with a mandatory cap of only 5 traits? I prefer Crusader King II's system, and I suppose that many would appreciate more diversity in traits, so why stop at only a handful of them? That is basically just stereotyping the characters as generals, clerics, administrators, and adulterers that devote almost their entire lives to those things, and not much else at all, rather than giving them more complexity in their personalities.

For certain, Charlemagne, Saladin, and Genghis Khan had more varied personalities in reality, rather than a personality that revolved almost solely (or even exclusively, if they don't have anything of the 5 traits that indicates anything else) around military matters.

Last edited:
Reactions:
The characters and the 3D portraits looks great!

I also like the fact you are making the genetics system more advanced! Good work.
Funny you should ask that. Looks to my eyes that people seem very white, including the Emir. While people of a given ethnicity can come in a range of hues, CK2 did tend towards whiteness after a while. Not a deliberate effort at erasure, ofc, but plenty of skin tones got lightened up as the character portraits got updated, to say nothing of the "white Africa unless you paid for extra portraits" thing.

Seeing an Emir is cool, but we haven't seen too much of a range on what this touted, robust character genetics system is capable of.

The portraits are looking much better and I think the backgrounds have everything to do with it. There were a few early screenshots with characters on an empty black background and I think that's what made it look gamey and bad. A diverse set of backgrounds on the portraits was a nice feature from Ck2 so I definitely am glad to see it appears to be surviving the 3d transfer into ck3s portraits.

Would be nice if the backgrounds change based on culture/religion, maybe rank of location where that char is. If the char is out leading troops, maybe represent that with the background as well.

It might not be worth the effort for something which is meant to be discrete, but I like how it grounds the chars in the world.

The characters in this pictures look better overall than what we've seen previously. But some of them still have weird poses. Like the monk looking off the side. In other pictures some looked at their feet or the ceiling. Some variations in poses is good, but such extremes can make them look bad.
Agree. Furthermore, the two child characters' portraits are too "big" in respect to the adults' ones nearby, they should be proportional (shorter, smaller frame, and so forth).