• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vaklav

Recruit
59 Badges
Jun 7, 2021
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
Hello,

I have CK3 on steam, windows 10, and the game keeps crashing to desktop with no error message after about 10 or 15 minutes of playing. I don't really have a repro for the crash, sometimes I'm trying to open a menu, sometimes I'm moving the camera, sometimes the game will crash when trying to boot up the main menu, it seems to be random, but always within a short time of booting up the game.

The things I've tried to fix it are:

-I've done clean reinstalls, deleting both the ..\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III folder and the steam installation folders manually between each uninstall/reinstall .
-Updated my nvidia gpu drivers and my window updates to latest

Edit: the forums only allow me to post 4 lines at a time?

I'm trying to attach the latest crash logs, and my dxdiag message, but the forum wont let me. I hope you can help me.
Users with low post counts cannot include links in their posts. this is a foorum anti-spam measure.

But you can attach files here as files, no problem.

After one of these crashes can you restart the game, load the save and carry on okay? Or do you need to reboot, or wait a while, before the game will run again?

And has this always happened since you've had the game? Or it was okay up to some point

Ah, Trying again to attach the logs:

After every crash, I can restart the game and continue my save file, which usually has lost only a couple of days of playtime. The game will crash again though.

I got CK3 when it launched and was able to play fine back then, and kept playing until Northern Lords launched too. I tried to pick it back up recently, about 3 weeks ago and started having these issues.

-I've tried running the game fullscreen and windowed. On fullscreen I've disabled Vsync and set max fps to 30
-changed the renderer method in "pdx_settings.txt" to "OpenGL" ( I read this in another thread in these forums, but the game still ended up crashing )
-uninstalled all my paradox games and then uninstalled the paradox launcher per the link on paradox plaza that's named "Paradox Launcher v2 doesn't work"

But nothing has worked so far.

Just to add:
I'm running the game with no mods at all, starting fresh saves every time.
The only other game that's crashing in a very similar manner is Stellaris, but the crashes there are much less frequent. Other paradox and Non paradox games don't seem to have an issue. I can play HoI4 and Eu4 with no problems.

Thanks

Attachments

• debug.log
    181 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    54,8 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    766 bytes · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    102,8 KB · Views: 0
There's no crash in CK3 recorded in that dxdiag - one each in HOI4 and Stellaris though.

However that error.log looks like either a corrupted installation or mods in use. Assuming no mods, Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new campaign - NOT with any existing one

If that doesn't help please attach new log files here, thanks. And Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 10 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Hey,

I did a clean reinstall from steam like you said, and the problem is gone. I played two lengthy sessions to make sure. Thank you! I know this will sound ridiculous, but I swear I did the same clean re-installs like 3 times before, deleting those same folders, to no dice? The only difference I can gather is that this time I did the steam verify after the reinstall, which still came back without finding any file errors.

Anyway, thank you again, and sorry for the forum spam