• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Speaking of Berbers, how do people think about rulers using arabic instead of the berber language if they are muslim?
Dislike. By that token all Catholics should use Latin, all Hindu should use Sanskrt, and all Orthodox Slavs should use Old Church Slavonic. That's not how we generally do things in this mod.
I mean presently they're represented by mainland Berbers rather than their own culture
So they're represented as some already-existing Berbers? Sounds… about right (or, like with Dutch, "wrong but least wrong").

Modding Alert
I'm currently working on modding in all the Council Titles present in the sheets( Till India).
If you guys have any titles/names that you have kept on the back burner for some reason. Now would be the best time to fill them in. It'll be some time before I personally take another pass at it after this (I have other stuff to mod in too, Like the poor Western Slavic group which should have been in by now, sometimes you just feel lazy tho.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dislike. By that token all Catholics should use Latin, all Hindu should use Sanskrt, and all Orthodox Slavs should use Old Church Slavonic. That's not how we generally do things in this mod.

In this case I actually think it's appropriate. If they're Muslim they're under Arabic influence; they're not going to spontaneously convert. Historically, Arabic-influenced Berbers did use Arabic-derived titles for themselves in civil as well as religious contexts; the modern-day Maghrebis are overwhelmingly Arabised Berbers, not descendants of Arab migrants. The default titles should be endemic, yes, but in cases of demonstrable influence over the course of a given game, it's only right for it to be represented.

So they're represented as some already-existing Berbers? Sounds… about right (or, like with Dutch, "wrong but least wrong").

It is wrong but least wrong, yes. While they're related to Berbers and had some ties with them, they weren't culturally Berber - they'd been on the Canaries since about 6000 BC - and while some elements of their language were similar (their numeral system was probably borrowed), their titularies were completely different - "Mencey" vs. "Agalid" for "king", for example. If the CTP doesn't add new cultures that's fair enough, though if it works like CK2, having localisation for cultures that aren't there in the base game doesn't do any harm; my own localisation mod had some support for mod cultures.

Reactions:
It is wrong but least wrong, yes. While they're related to Berbers and had some ties with them, they weren't culturally Berber - they'd been on the Canaries since about 6000 BC - and while some elements of their language were similar (their numeral system was probably borrowed), their titularies were completely different - "Mencey" vs. "Agalid" for "king", for example. If the CTP doesn't add new cultures that's fair enough, though if it works like CK2, having localisation for cultures that aren't there in the base game doesn't do any harm; my own localisation mod had some support for mod cultures.
So, From a modding perspective there are two ways to go about this.

1) We actually introduce a new culture to represent it. Basically adding one to the requested culture column. This can definitely be done, the caveat to this is, Either we have to add those cultures in ourselves or Rely on someone to create a submod and be like 'If you have this submod, you can access their unique titles'.(which we would have modded in) . TLDR: This would take time or at least some collaboration.
2) The second method (similar to what we did with Coptic) is that we hack the system by including an religious condition. It isn't perfectly accurate or neat (Hence a hack).
This is way faster, but may not accurately represent two separate cultures in the game. In a sense, they would always be tied to each other but only differ in Titles.

I've put the options on the table,
My personal preferences would be to Create a culture ourselves within our mod, for more flexibility. But this is kind of long term, and I don't see us discussing this in detail for at least two more months. After which I would have to start modding them in.

If the CTP doesn't add new cultures that's fair enough, though if it works like CK2, having localisation for cultures that aren't there in the base game doesn't do any harm; my own localisation mod had some support for mod cultures.
Go to our sheet's "Requested Cultures" sheet and fill your Guanches in. Whichever method (of those two @Necrochar described) we choose, the data for the culture are to be there.
My personal preferences would be to Create a culture ourselves within our mod, for more flexibility
How about a third option? We put it into Requested Cultures and create a separate compatible sub-mod, so that those who want our mod but don't want to have our culture changes and/or use mods which also change cultures are not affected negatively. Same way "Frisian culture" mod works.

Well, only Germanic, as we have @Urkaun and @Uebergold, and East Slavic by me can be even by some degree considered to be "taken" (and even there it's somewhat soft). Note though that for Main Titles, some things are going to gradually be closed off as we clean up them through coding (though it's unlikely we'll get to Baltic any time soon, going left-to-right). What about chronology, what's the approximate timing of the language your dictionary describes?
Most words come from 16th century, when Martin Luther's Catechism was translated into Prussian, and some word are reconstructed, but sound legit.

Reactions:
So, From a modding perspective there are two ways to go about this.

1) We actually introduce a new culture to represent it. Basically adding one to the requested culture column. This can definitely be done, the caveat to this is, Either we have to add those cultures in ourselves or Rely on someone to create a submod and be like 'If you have this submod, you can access their unique titles'.(which we would have modded in) . TLDR: This would take time or at least some collaboration.

There are CK2 mods with a Guanche culture that could be used as a template; I think just having their titles in CTP's files for other modders to use would be sufficient, though!

2) The second method (similar to what we did with Coptic) is that we hack the system by including an religious condition. It isn't perfectly accurate or neat (Hence a hack).
This is way faster, but may not accurately represent two separate cultures in the game. In a sense, they would always be tied to each other but only differ in Titles.

The issue with this would be that they really ought to have their own religion, too. :p In the base game they start with Siguism, a Mandé faith, which I guess Paradox decided was the closest thing to Guanche religion (presumably in terms of coincidental beliefs, because they've got nothing to do with the Mandé). However, al-Baranis culture and Siguic religion in conjuction being the trigger for Guanche titles would work with the base-game setup; the only issue would be that it'd also trigger in the not-totally-unlikely scenario that Siguists expand slightly northwards.

Lets just call alt-history xP.

Jokes aside, I think your arguments are quite decisive in what helping us choose an option.
The one thing, I'll add in is that, Someone can fill in the requested culture but I would want to wait till that culture mod comes out before modding them in. I think its an overkill to preemptively mod in culture titles, for a culture that is not present yet.
In case no quality mods have been done that culture till the time we polish up this mod. Then, We can then step in and create a sub mod (as @Viridianus suggested) .
I hope this sounds okay to everyone involved here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One question about roman/latin culture in Empire through Baronies:

Names must be based on Roman names (Seville --> Hispalis), current names translated to latin (Copenhagen --> Hafnia) or both, with one of them being prioritary?

Been really struggling with my health and I'm a really low point, let's just say. Again, I'm sorry.

Please Take care of your Health. We really do got it covered. This mod is definitely gonna be here for years. So chill yourself out and come back refreshed and rejuvenated.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Been really struggling with my health and I'm a really low point, let's just say. Again, I'm sorry.
I hope you get better!
Names must be based on Roman names (Seville --> Hispalis), current names translated to latin (Copenhagen --> Hafnia) or both, with one of them being prioritary?
Both, with some priority for ancient names - but we know it's a mod on vanilla's timeline not making CKIII an Imperator edition. Do they really conflict often?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope you get better!
Both, with some priority for ancient names - but we know it's a mod on vanilla's timeline not making CKIII an Imperator edition. Do they really conflict often?

Not too much. But i am taking names from different sources and i had not it very clear, besides there are places which romans never knew becasue they did not reach them or were founded after the empire.

I just wanted to have it clear.

Thanks for being understanding, guys. I'll try to contribute when I can.

Don't worry about it, health > free mod.

Lets just call alt-history xP.

Jokes aside, I think your arguments are quite decisive in what helping us choose an option.
The one thing, I'll add in is that, Someone can fill in the requested culture but I would want to wait till that culture mod comes out before modding them in. I think its an overkill to preemptively mod in culture titles, for a culture that is not present yet.
In case no quality mods have been done that culture till the time we polish up this mod. Then, We can then step in and create a sub mod (as @Viridianus suggested) .
I hope this sounds okay to everyone involved here.

Can we even add cultures in this mod without adding a submod?

Would having cultures = ( requested } get nullified and fill in every title?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would having cultures = ( requested } get nullified and fill in every title?
I do think you are right here, The last time, a mistake of culture in dutch//Frisian threw away the whole stuff, titles in India were affected. The game doesn't crash, but it does mess up everything with regard to titles.

• 1Like
Reactions: