CK3 Community Spotlight - El Tyranos, Community Flavor Pack mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDX-Nicou

Captain
39 Badges
Oct 22, 2019
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • War of the Roses
  • Magicka
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
In your Medieval adventures, you might have come across a few areas of Crusader Kings III where you wish more customisation was possible.
Paradox Interactive has always been very open to the Modding community in order to foster the players' creativity while offering more freedom to CK3!

The Community Flavor Pack from El Tyranos does just that: Over 200 original models for 50+ cultures & religions with new crowns, hats, clothes, armours, helmets, cloaks, artifacts, jewelry, accessories, even hairstyles & beards and much more. Dress up for war or court as you would be between 867 & 1453, and impress your friends and subjects!

1_portrait.jpg
0_main.jpg

Hi El Tyranos, tell us about your CK3 experience! How long have you been playing Crusader Kings?
► I discovered Crusader Kings II during a military deployment in Africa, 2012. I only had a 13” Notebook and CK2 was among the few games to run properly on it. I did not play it a lot initially but I always came back to it years after years. Then one day I bought all the DLCs I did not have yet and I just fell in love. I enjoyed writing the story of my dynasty. I even wrote several pages long reports of my alt-middle-ages. Funnily I’m not a strategy person, It’s the only game of that genre I play, I’m more of a FPS person.

▲ How did you decide to start working on the Community Flavor Pack?
► I was burned out from Arma 3, the previous game I modded for five years. I needed fresh air and a less complicated engine where I could spend more time relaxing on art and suffer less on encoding (in short, model import).

I picked an open source fantasy Viking model from the internet to be my test subject. I learned the CK engine in 4 days, found the import process was very quick and so the perspective to swap to middle age after a decade of 2nd world war modding seemed like the obvious choice. When I released CFP it contained that one helmet (now gone), 5 days later I added 9 more. Community’s reception was very positive from the start and so off it went. I won’t lie saying the social reward is among the most important motivation ressource for any modder in the long run.

▲ What is your process for crafting, let's say, a new Crown? How long does it usually take?
► Long story short: I make a very high quality model that I “stamp” on a lower resolution model to retain details such as curves or shades, then I paint materials and import it in game.

2a_hp_lp.jpg
2b_maps.jpg
2c_render.jpg

Now it is difficult to accurately convey the workload on art, be it digital or not. It all depends on one’s expertise, having a good or bad workflow or simply reproducing an artistic style one never did before.

As examples: The Iron Crown of Lombardy (above) took me two days — 18 hours — when plate armor set took me about two weeks — ~80 hours. I’d say my average is about a day or half a day per headgear, at least two-three days for a piece of clothing and a week for a well detailed courtroom.

▲ Do you have a favourite model so far?
► I’d say the Decorated Islamic Nasal because of how accurate it is and because it was my first serious collaboration with Atral, who helps me with his 2D dark magic stuff.
4_nasal.jpg

▲ Tell us about your most memorable CK3 moment?
► In multiplayer, as Duke of Flanders, I prepared an uprising against the French king only to notice all my friends betrayed me and rallied the king in his war against me. I ended up in prison, managed to escape, got a dog and named him after one of my friend’s nickname by pure cold blooded vengeance. Unfortunately the dog escaped during a hunt, my son died from typhus and I died from stress.
That's rough buddy...

▲ What do you like the most about CK3 ?

► I always said that CK3 is the best launch platform one could have ever dreamed of : it’s modular and it’s streamlined. But I especially like the community. Starting CFP was an ambitious idea in a community I didn't even know. Fortunately I met talented and mature modders as well as very respectful and friendly players.

▲ What's next for the CFP?
► 2022 is going to be exciting.
First I plan to keep producing what you’re used to, but I also decided to raise the bar one step higher with uniquely complex courtrooms (Byzantine, HRE, Papal) and two major expansions, the first one being named « Music of the Court ».

For those projects, CFP team expanded and I used the mod’s crowdfunding to hire a composer (Farya Faraji) for an original and historically accurate soundtrack, and an illustrator (Brian Abshire) for wall paintings. I’m also helped by usual external resident artists like my friend Arthur Pin.

These expansions aim to go beyond simple model additions in order to improve the overall artistic experience and at the best quality level possible, all while retaining the vanilla experience and game balance.

5_moc.jpg

▲ What other things do you enjoy out of your Modding hobby? Anything you would like to share with us?
► I always say I’d need a hundred lives to learn and explore everything that interests me, but my daily life top 3 would be classical music and rock climbing.
I've been learning Clarinet for a few months and for connoisseurs, I’m working my first 6C in lead climbing.

6_desktop.jpg

▲ Where can we find more of your work & projects?
► CFP website features all links related to the mod: https://communityflavorpack.com/
► To simply stay tuned to CFP news:
► Sometimes I stream dev sessions or publish 3D tutorials on: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKyG8z9aLPUcOxiGA4bBvzg

Thanks for your time El Tyranos.
This was a very entertaining project with you, and I'm sure I am talking for the community as a whole: We can't wait to discover your next initiatives with the Community Flavor Pack!
For everyone else, thanks for joining us today and see you next month for another Community Spotlight!

Last edited:
  • 49Like
  • 42Love
Reactions:
In multiplayer, as Duke of Flanders, I prepared an uprising against the French king only to notice all my friends betrayed me and rallied the king in his war against me. I ended up in prison, managed to escape, got a dog and named him after one of my friend’s nickname by pure cold blooded vengeance. Unfortunately the dog escaped during a hunt, my son died from typhus and I died from stress.
That's rough buddy...

lol, nice one.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
But even though it's all visual changes we can't play with CFP with achievements :(

I really wish the rules weren't so tight for what changes the checksum.

Amazing job El Tyrannos your mod is so good I wish it was a dlc I could buy!

• 15Like
Reactions:
Amazing job El Tyrannos your mod is so good I wish it was a dlc I could buy!

Am I the only one who asked himself repeated times whether dedicated modders such El Tyranos or the modders behind EPE have crushed possible plans from PDX to release "portrait"-DLCs and the likes as was done for CK2 ;-)?
Anyways, your work is outstanding El Tyranos and thanks to Nicou for honouring him in that deserved way.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I hope one day we could play in Ironman achievement-compatible with CFP! :)

Reactions:
In multiplayer, as Duke of Flanders, I prepared an uprising against the French king only to notice all my friends betrayed me and rallied the king in his war against me. I ended up in prison, managed to escape, got a dog and named him after one of my friend’s nickname by pure cold blooded vengeance. Unfortunately the dog escaped during a hunt, my son died from typhus and I died from stress.
That's rough buddy...
Damn, even the DOG betrayed him!

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Thank you all for the kind words and thanks to Nicou for the honour of opening community spotlights series. I hope it will turn into an interesting adventure.
Thank you for your amazing work
Your mod is always on when I play with mods^^

Reactions:
I can't use this mod because it would probably fry my poor iGPU. But it's an awesome achievement.