• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Saffron Straits, Ulos, Manticore Isles and Marahai

The Saffron Straits, Ulos, Manticore Isles and Marahai​

Asshai sits on the Jade Sea, but also just north of the entrance to the Saffron Straits. The entrance to the straits is a 90-mile-wide channel, relatively calm and inviting-looking. Relatively few ships will enter the straits willingly. East of Taegye, there are simply no ports known to exist. It isn’t even known if the straits are traversable by large ships, or if they open into a further eastern ocean or if they are actually part of a massive bay enclosing the island-continent of Ulthos. Attempted explorations in this direction have simply vanished without a trace. Some ships have managed to return after exploring the coast of the straits for a thousand miles: they report that the Shadow Lands and ghost grass continue along the shores to the north, and two large islands can be found in the straits.

Gy6PxL412IHgVKNhCteHRfTj7HbovHlO0J5vciEWrs9mf7f0Le_IWOcmzbC4P-DcLiBsrr6W8YGy4dDij8SIV7iw-DH-PeLSTXN_RhnJpdm-xF5K9C89qXEbPXPbyaORGAx6Gi8IYKFejh64Y4pe_LA

One of these has been dubbed Ulos and is large enough (150 miles across, roughly) to host a series of mountainous peaks, as well as thick jungle. Just inland from the north shore is a curious ruined city of unknown origin. What destroyed the city is also unknown.

If the rumours are to be believed, a small group of people are living among the ancient ruins. Seven shadowmen are led by a woman named Belessa who allegedly hails from the infamous and ominous city of Stygai. Despite the reputation of her could-be homeland, Belessa apparently leads with a gentle yet fair voice. She however seems to be extremely wary of strangers and her seven followers reportedly are extremely protective, so everything we know about this whole situation should be regarded as hearsay at best.

bBVKeD1Erp_IFisxhFrPtonwMygMYDN7qxXnGY_vRmlbfAxD2qwEjcct9tJJIIYAZPHEKSO_iSFlc3GCJL6rnHyyJyPjijb0WUlyJaC6JUkRDC-6rfiKleFgBK-hEIjm0jo-7e1Ri_HHkehZHg3tADE

AI by me​

The second isle, about half the size of Ulos, is usually just called the Saffron Isle. It is also dotted with ruins.

It is the alleged final destination of Bunuth Adiur’s family when they fled the city of Asshai. If the rumours are true, his daughter-in-law and two granddaughter still live somewhere on the isle.

fsQw83qDSuUGTbtigsqlM-_HcjeT29DQ7Ue120U1RvXT5RccM9cjZyW39zAs6LoK1LlnqYHlLYLv60mukprITBQ3I8fAhIabgDl33uf1CA3wIX_kVnLuRPPZl5m-lS0dmIyQjxw9AfoLzdavPAZ7jW0

The Manticore Isles are a small archipelago of seven islands in the eastern Jade Sea, 300 miles east of Marahai and 200 miles south-east of Turrani in Leng.

fGXwswyCTQY2rmby9jqPG60GdfL-x3gO2kIb-6W6CeDrpRvrCeBvB4F_LgKWTj_9dt8DjCbnwE23oHscTD8uPv3rRkjpoCkmH1IDeqlNBk8_9LeOphHIGlOnv5fp8FxQak97LXWBbkVX__cuJsl_9hw

The isles are small, remote and it appears mostly uninhabited by humans, due to the dangerous creatures that live there in very large numbers.

If you know the author of this image, please contact me

Manticores are small, scorpion-like insects with disturbingly human faces and a lethal sting that can kill a man in minutes. Manticores are valued as tools of assassination by organisations such as the Sorrowful Men of Qarth.

There is a legend among Lengi that somewhere on the isles a group of highly-skilled manticore hunters have their semi-permanent base. This close-knit pack is allegedly led by Ei’lor, a man of impressive stature, incredible strength and a fiery temper. In an effort to gain some supernatural assistance in their highly dangerous craft, this reclusive circle is believed to follow some disturbing customs and worship in a very unconventional way.

MGXGDJKV3Qgehr1v20dvMPyV_43i1VxZZqn6Z9dBGvUFcNsmOTtPELxLe7TcSs8baPbDXogVxhPUSTXmDuELHis5N0VHdp6u5c7UiO9scMVWLf617tqc3X6fYFdwh7cRQYYUhjaflJRwxW1FK0tLMWU

AI by me​

Marahai is a large island in the middle of the Jade Sea, located roughly 400 miles due south of Yin in Yi Ti. Marahai is a long, crescent-shaped island, 200 miles across but never more than 50 miles wide. In fact, the island is more of a circle than a crescent, with only an 80-mile-wide gap in the north breaking the line of symmetry. Within the vast bay of Marahai are two islands, both volcanic, occasionally spewing lava into the sky.

ZgQ6Mw1eHREG9TrboTiCfsH16OQX7coAjZLOCEVqeoLlo1JBtTpaNMMkmGTNDP_WJ2HKYm1H1baicsVSg-KQ9JvZverQn6S1ND2S0otvzUhnMrZJK4W2liI77N5jEoN6S44SyS5yCFfTj6yMlYHYHRc

Selvista Experience (if you know the author, please contact me)​

Some maesters studying the mysteries of lava and the earth suggest that Marahi was once a single, whole island that was destroyed in a volcanic explosion many thousands of years ago and is slowly recovering, similar to what is happening around some of the Fourteen Fires in Valyria. However, for this to be true the scale would have had to have been titanic, the explosion dwarfing even the Doom in scale and bringing destruction to the shores of all the Jade Sea. If this did happen, it must have been long ago, before man first came to the shores of the sea.

Some disturbing reports had been known to occasionally come from this part of the Jade Sea. There had been instances of sudden and ruthless attacks on the Yi Ti merchant ships that had been unfortunate enough to sail too close to the island. These attacks resulted in barely any survivors, and those who did manage to escape were found half-mad and often mangled beyond recognition. If their ravings are to be believed, a group of cultists occupied the islands, led by their merciless leader Netosa. No known expeditions were launched to deal with the problem, so we can assume that this unsavoury coterie is still active in the region.

n-BRwno6T9iKiojR9b6eWglqZcxFAwtj_GHkD2r2YfhFJ1KJ078LLftDeSRcCP5ecte2FDkGYvHh2lc89f8EwAgDPVYw3s3opsZuBSmx-NiI-GJLaJpf974NRuikmxu8xZYEdMeomsvoma_-MGJSrhU

AI by me​

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ulthos

Ulthos​

X8pMrE3WAgiT0GYRzFKtPf3MG7WVWsABfD7ymbwTbWCZ7VZe2s6AEwJE6q2bhFkngc2LS6149aWnuAfm3LddANGWuMyKocYIX99lKl367XYptgd_f1w_KCXsH6C9t_xvWhxhK-Aaf50BHSkJ5r_Fulc

Fragment of the map of the known world from The Lands of Ice and Fire

The straits separate the continent of Essos from the island-continent of Ulthos to the south. Ulthos is covered in an incredibly dense jungle, reportedly of strange, purple-black trees. Heavy haze of deep purple hue constantly permeates the air with its mix of sweet and earthy aroma underscored by notes of berry and some sharp spice.

AZ-D7huiHiylGMggw2Cyr5DKZ2RJewCzH5GIt3iiImBnQJb4_mTjCZ4W0Yf3BVKVi1nJhC9DQ0saDa52mzP5COW5glsJ_5qeKqa7ffKl0OTxNV4S1UVLszENMCYga-UENTpEgLQxfuMlr4TZ-mQgNqY

Purple Forest by Wadim Kashin
(unfortunately I couldn't find this particular picture on the author's official page)​

These reports however are very contradictory and bizarre; some maesters even point out that the saffron plant is purple in colour, so this may be just a reference to the large amounts of the plant growing along the coast. This would also give the straits their name.

The coast of Ulthos has been explored eastwards for over a thousand miles, but no further; ships that have travelled further east to chart the shore have disappeared. The current and prevailing winds on the Jade Sea have made exploring the coast southwards also extremely difficult, and overland expeditions have foundered due to a lack of fresh water. About 250 miles south of Asshai, an immense and spectacular harbour has been discovered, a good site for a port, but the hostile landscape and the lack of other cities to trade with on the south coast of the Jade Sea has meant that there has been no enthusiasm for the venture.

The size and status of Ulthos remains highly debatable. Some believe it is an island somewhat larger than Great Moraq; others believe it is a continent in its own right. Others have suggested it is an extension or part of Essos to the north and east or Sothoryos to the west and south. Until more reliable expeditions can be launched, the truth of this matter will remain unknown.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yeah, we're definitely beyond the range of the Known Lands.

I think Ulthos is canonically a continent? I wonder if it is connected to Sothoryos or Essos (not that that would preclude it from being a continent - *cough, cough* Europe and Asia *cough, cough*)...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Love the jungle artwork.

I believe ive asked this before but ive forgotten, which AI art generator do you use for your portraits, Eilor and Belessa in particular look very accurate to their portraits, great work.

Belessa and the Seven Shadowmen could make for a dark Disney movie.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have been off-the-ride for quite some time, constantly delaying and rescheduling to catch-up; was going to lurk around offline again, then realised the comment of streaker77;
I believe ive asked this before but ive forgotten, which AI art generator do you use for your portraits, Eilor and Belessa in particular look very accurate to their portraits, great work.
- and was about to comment as many of the portraits-images are from various web-sources (for example the first image of the aar is actually fan-art for Evaeline Targaryen 353 AC - 405 AC, a character from asoiaf roleplay game), then checked the last update and realised it, oh yeah, those seem generated by a neural network algorithm; was going to guess it as probably neurallove, then looked around and you are right it was answered by Thaiga before as midjourney.

Other images from web-artists as fan-fiction, fan-art, artistic-interpretation; they hold great power in the quality of the work of Thaiga, and also main source for personal criticism since no reference is provided for almost all; fortunately some have signatures so their source can be found.

The map of ulthos in the last post, though; that is hand-drawn (digital of course), the colour-palette suggests it is done using fantasticmaps tool (considered official map tool). Personally preferring inkarnate map tools - or at least before its colour-palette was changed., but they all provide beautiful results.

Reactions:
I think Ulthos is canonically a continent? I wonder if it is connected to Sothoryos or Essos
It is canonically a small piece of land at the edge of the map, so noone really knows. I like to think that it is indeed a continent, and a big one. Maybe not as big as Sothoryos, but still. And for me it is connected to Essos somewhere to the East, maybe by a smal biece of land or something. But canonically that purple blob is all we got :)

Belessa is a shy beauty. Ei'lor has seen centuries of hardships. Netosa knows all but is not telling
Belessa surprised me tbh, when I saw that she if "of Stigay", I was prepared for an evil sorceress in exile. But nope, I got a Snow White. I also like to think that Ei'lor and Netosa are connected somehow and working together, probably on something nefarious.

I believe ive asked this before but ive forgotten, which AI art generator do you use for your portraits
Midjourney. Sometimes I put the actual picture in there, but usually I just describe them in great detail. For example, Belessa is:
"highly detailed, digital painting, sharp focus, realistic, candid portrait of a gaunt aging medieval woman in her early forties, straw blond hair in a tight bun, square face with sharp chin, deep-seated eyes with dark circles, thin and tight lips, narrow mouth, wearing a thick brown fur cloak --ar 2:3". It missed the memo that the cloak is in fact shoul be made of fur and the lips are thin and narrow, but all the other stuff is pretty on point.
Belessa and the Seven Shadowmen could make for a dark Disney movie.
Yeah, I also noticed this pretty weird coincidence. At least I think it is a coincidence and not some event or something.

was going to guess it as probably neurallove, then looked around and you are right it was answered by Thaiga before as midjourney
It is Midjourney, yes. Never tried neurallove, but now I will, always glad to try new AIs, thank you for the hint!

the first image of the aar is actually fan-art for Evaeline Targaryen 353 AC - 405 AC, a character from asoiaf roleplay game
I think it is even older than that, but for this one I unfortunately could not find a source. The earliest known instance where I could find it was this tumblr post form Nov 29, 2016 that goes to this pinterest post that goes to another link that I could not open even when I first found this picture back when I started this AAR.
main source for personal criticism since no reference is provided for almost all
This is actually a very valid criticism that I personally also had been bothering myself with for quite some time now. I have links for most of the pics I used, but for some reason (probably very dumb) I didn't include them when I started and just rolled with it. Probably because I didn't really think that I would be writing this long and usin so much art, but still, it's no excuse. So I've decided to comb through all my posts and edit all art-containing ones. I will probably die of exhaustion, but it was long overdue. Thank you for this nudge as well.
The map of ulthos in the last post
Is taken from the official book of maps, The Lands of Ice and Fire :)

While I undertake the gargantuan task of adding sources to all the non-AI pictures in this whole "book", please, let me take you all to...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Sothoryos

Sothoryos​

To the south of Essos and far to the south-east of the Seven Kingdoms lies a savage, desperate and highly dangerous land.

czppStIAjGfkUiPMJv1tfnTukAZYo54VQfLUgQHu8m6FziLvHsyNVE2q58NMbIvGdHvUz13CPlNyYorbMY7LSZos1kwQHGhmk_kg_g_q-Sfs9duoUcOaD_nscrjNUwa26yf2sSQzxK6oooa-o0uZGoc

Fragment of the map of the known world from The Lands of Ice and Fire

This is a world alien to that of men, a land of fierce, unrelenting heat, endless jungles, vast deserts and savage creatures, not to mention plagues that erupt without warning and kill indiscriminately. This is the remote, mostly unexplored and forbidding third continent of the known world and the most southerly location we know of: Sothoryos.

Sothoryos is located some 2,600 miles south-east of the eastern tip of Dorne, and about 750 miles south of central Essos. The far northern coast of Sothoryos lies south of Ghiscar and Slaver’s Bay, and south-east of Valyria. The continent is bordered by the Summer Sea to the north and presumably west, and the Jade Sea to the north-east. The southern and eastern-most boundaries of the continent have not yet been measured by any reliable reports.

The explored portion of Sothoryos measures some 1,750 miles from east to west and 1,100 miles from north to south.

MrsG3L5vxvR_qTe_FX-Og1vHFMPkGY1iiNS4_mSAZEJ-jCpwAXlE6qoaSCFCywNZ6pDXKO-04kId458tF6IkVrWBowXrsrueP2CybK4sRCYyuTOdsZ99T-Al3ZvsCoDLua6lTFVjGbnpHqQ29KwB5B4

Despite its proximity to Essos, the continent has never been thoroughly mapped.

Ancient Qartheen maps depicted Sothoryos as an island twice the size of Great Moraq, but this was clearly guesswork.

The Ghiscari undertook surveys of the coast and concluded that Sothoryos was comparable to Westeros in size, suggesting a north-south oriented continent 3,000 miles or more in length.

Later, the Valyrians undertook an exploration of the interior of the continent, flying on dragons far over the interior and to the south. A Dragonrider Jaenara Belaerys flew her dragon, Terrax, farther south in Sothoryos than anyone had gone before.

zJwC1SdwgN-gAVPLTcGVNdaFobxKpdpdKtwuB5p4IdC27qaPG_m4bM1UWrwsjtMyl-Jx4mU2DftTZep9gCmgYwYJQyju6_b6UpPbqfvmj4wy7mXPWKZ67IIczAo6pLG_pAs7pnp9DSBPkgyEZfagdA8

(My AI rendition of this gorgeous portrait of Jaenara by Manuel Pérez J. I made several variants but I liked the idea of her having scars from her ordeal so much that this pic won hands down)

She returned to the Valyrian Freehold after three years, having found only endless jungle, deserts, and mountains. Jaenara declared that Sothoryos was as large as Essos and "a land without end". Unfortunately however this mission seems to have been more for amusement than for the purposes of exacting topographical exploration, to the frustration of many maesters.

The Qartheen have undertaken more recent explorations of the eastern coast of Sothoryos but have never found the bottom of the continent, whilst the Summer Islanders have likewise explored the west coast in their formidable swan ships, but have declined to share their discoveries with outsiders.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sothoryos: Wyvern Point

Wyvern Point​

Wyvern Point is a peninsula in the far north-east of Sothoryos. This region extends along the Jade Sea and Summer Sea. The island of Lesser Moraq is located north-east off its coast. Two uninhabited islands are located to the east, just across the narrow Wyvern Straits. According to the people of Port Moraq the smaller one is called Jabeen, or Smiling Face in Moraqi. The bigger isle however is just called Binam which means Nameless.

Both isles and the Wyvern Point itself are covered in jungle and swamps. The region is so-named for the large numbers of wyverns located within the treeline. Wyverns are smaller relatives of dragons, and although they do not breathe fire they still are extremely dangerous creatures, best-avoided.

Wyverns have great leathery wings, "cruel" beaks, and an insatiable hunger. They are more ferocious than dragons, if smaller in size. Wyverns are called "the tyrants of the southern skies", and are one of the reasons why Sothoryos is thinly populated. Septon Barth wrote about wyverns in Dragons, Wyrms, and Wyverns: Their Unnatural History, and speculated that Valyrian bloodmages may have created dragons using wyvern stock.

Varieties of wyverns include brindled wyverns, swamp wyverns, brownbellies, and shadow-wings.

Brindled wyverns have green-and-white scales, and grow up to thirty feet long.

1T97xcAhUVUMV7C886X8BQ31mtKIZKyWxDoD0-MeYKM9GbIu4oDFsnCVK3GD4QAKXEvzKq0iAZgDjuezZENr6PNulpgo1T-rF6f-U7gwrzVXzWgo02Cg86oiP6h8WR07RVXnz8JmXrGCB0MtdhPCSGo

Frilled Tropic Wyvern by Brian Valeza

Swamp wyverns may grow larger than that, but they are mostly inactive and rarely fly far from their lairs.

JSGUvDrG_mGer9DsungpznBAWx8wyqPJvsouiLfQWknEeyPw6bM3LFH6Z-BFokJYjkoVfkGxuV-aDa2XunRv8rSCyIlsTmLT8FDTXV3TBdMeq5COoXtTXSd94VIkIQ3LMRfiQ5JKXe1YnfjPy32wgh4

Redtip Swamp Wyvern by Brian Valeza

Brownbellies, though not much bigger than monkeys, hunt in packs of a hundred or more, and so are far more dangerous than larger breeds.

Wv8MmuDhCcBqNpy6dhfruA8IfTRX52ogS12D5ZU6ho1_XUDWBYk_BRsUFdgp20skOoDfKT4DKrOUwTAWShjcHvi9UAPwqlvWBAHoem_wiUw0aXrmfbC-mSUiGmBAtT-wlvsf_vf-OaTzgko3gy6tBpU

White Horned Forest Wyvern by Brian Valeza

The shadow-wing wyvern is nocturnal, with black scales and wings that make it invisible in the dark, and therefore is the most feared.

2XLRDM-iNISJXrkIpENQdwv88vcMKCcrEs2XRCfQAO5k0Vm4mAWzwHvpsM91sWKroA3JEYAz4ioaEVh3y3JoR8Qc1n7Yk7Evxc-DUlhxQD98VZk2obiY1vNLvdcV1JvvaqMEP9k96ROH-GoVS8my0CY

Night Fury by KatePfeilschiefter

(It is unclear whether the author of this rendition had been too frightened by his alleged encounter and had simply mistaken or this variety of wyvern have indeed developed additional forelimbs which makes it even more horrifying)

Wyvern Point is lacking in interesting features apart from one excellent harbourage. The Ghiscari established a port on the harbour, Gorosh, which they used as a penal colony during the days of the Old Empire. However, like so many other colonies in Sothoryos, it could not survive the harsh climate and harsher inhabitants, and was eventually abandoned.

rjveYdWF3mpadJZG0BSmqktKtjrJEF18u20c8dDpCnHi2KUf9dT6T6hV9Qa4WDbsfKkwCtAqEOVZjpyktlEzfDJcDAeQ-GNCxjLxIJiETsLolguJBgYMo9nSuPkZxNHpZr_evsiyzeTCyIYpRGPya9I

Midjourney by me​

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sothoryos: Northern Sothoryos. Yeen

Northern Sothoryos​

The northern portion of Sothoryos straddles the equator, which maesters believe should be the hottest part of the entire world. This region is covered in jungle and woodlands. The temperature in Sothoryos is stifling, the jungle moist and humid beyond belief, to the point where simply walking around is an incredible effort. The attraction of shedding clothes and going bare-chested is clear, but is also extremely dangerous, due to ticks, blood-sucking leeches and parasites capable of dropping from trees and burrowing into the skin. More than one exploration of the continent has ended in madness, plague, dehydration, starvation and death given the fact that Sothoryos is home to many fatal diseases, including, but not limited to: blood boils, green fever, dancing plague, sweetrot, bronze pate, the Red Death, greyscale, brownleg, wormbone, sailor's bane, pus-eye, and yellowgum.

Dense jungle covers most of the explored portion of Sothoryos, but the foliage does break and fall back in the centre of the landmass, where the great River Zamoyos meets the Summer Sea in a vast, many-branched delta. The Zamoyos and other streams are home to crocodiles and swarms of carnivorous fish capable of stripping a man's flesh in minutes.

The source of the Zamoyos is unknown: several expeditions launched deep upriver by the Ghiscari simply failed to return. The most successful mission reported that the river runs south for some 700 miles before opening into a large and substantial lake, which is fed by several lesser waterways. The lake is massive, more than 300 miles long and more than 50 miles wide. The Zamoyos is assumed to continue at the southern end of the lake, where a wide river extends south for another hundred miles or so. However at that point the relatively light jungle of the north gives way to the horrific landscape known as the Green Hell, so the explorers turned back and wisely lived to tell the tale.

The Zamoyos Delta is the most habitable part of the mainland of Sothoryos, although it is still hot, humid and unpleasant, with marshlands and swamps extending for dozens of miles along the coast. Crocodiles dwarfing even the formidable lizard-lions of the Neck in Westeros can be found in these waters.

One part of the coast is elevated slightly above the rest, forming an effective island between several arms of the Zamoyos which is marginally more tolerable than the land around it. It was here, over five thousand years ago, that the Ghiscari founded the city of Zamettar.

The city was the springboard for the Ghiscari exploration of the continent, but very few other colonisation efforts succeeded, apart from the settling of Gorosh to the east and Gorgai to the west. Still, Zamettar endured, possibly more through stubbornness than sense. The city finally fell during the Fourth Ghiscari War, when the dragons of Valyria, escorting a fleet, captured the city in battle. The Valyrians were initially pleased with their conquest and planting their banner on a new continent, but rapidly discovered what the Ghiscari had before them, that the southern continent was a land of great promise but almost lethal danger. The Valyrians strove to tame Sothoryos for a time, but eventually they abandoned Zamettar as more trouble than it was worth, the last dragonlords departing circa 1700 BC.

The city was briefly repopulated by Nymeria and her Rhoynar followers around 700 BC. After refusing the offer of the corsair kings of the Basilisk Isles to settle at the Isle of Toads in exchange of a yearly tribute of thirty virgin girls and pretty boys, Princess Nymeria and the Rhoynar settled on Zamettar, which had been abandoned already for a thousand years, but they found the land far too hostile and soon moved on, set on the course that would lead them to Dorne.

Yeen​

Yeen is a ruined city, located 300 miles upriver from Zamettar. It is a very curious ruin, however, consisting of buildings built out of a curious black stone which is oily and disturbing to the touch. The blocks are enormous, each requiring a dozen elephants or more to move, but seem to have been cut, lifted and fused together by unknown means. Even more curious is the fact that the city has no discernible point of origin. It appears to be older, by far, than any human city in the known world, far older than even Old Ghis or the oldest stones of Moat Cailin or the oldest cities in Yi Ti or Sarnor. Only Asshai, the origins of which are likewise mysterious, can challenge Yeen as the oldest city in the world.

Every attempt to resettle Yeen has resulted in horror. Located far inland, with only the Zamoyos providing any kind of easy approach to the city, the jungle surrounds it on all sides, although, curiously, the jungle has never fully reclaimed it. But sickness, plague, heat and the dangerous inhabitants of Sothoryos, the so-called “Brindled Men” and the apes that dwarf the largest giants, capable of killing elephants with a single blow, that are said to inhabit the forests south of Yeen, are a constant threat to the ruins.

Every Ghiscari and Valyrian attempt to claim the ruins failed. The last known attempt was by the Rhoynar, who founded a new settlement amongst the ruins of Yeen. The settlement seemed to flourish for several months but then went quiet. A ship sent by Nymeria to investigate found that the settlement had been abandoned, every man, woman and child living there simply gone without a trace.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sothoryos: The Green Hell and Southern Sothoryos

The Green Hell and Southern Sothoryos​

Beyond Yeen and the lake of the upper Zamoyos, the jungle abruptly becomes thicker, hotter and more savage. This region is called the Green Hell, and makes the jungles to the north – which are still extraordinarily dangerous – look safe and inviting by comparison. There are reports of white vampire bats that can drain the blood of a man in minutes, tattooed lizards that run down their prey and rip them apart with long curved claws on their hind legs, snakes fifty feet long, spotted spiders, terrible wyverns of even more varieties, basilisks, and a hundred different kinds of deadly snakes. The jungle also contains flies, whose bite results in a fatal disease with symptoms including bleeding from all orifices and the skin sloughing off. Even the freshwater contains minuscule parasitic worms that lay eggs within anyone who drinks it.

The Green Hell is also the home to hairy monkeys that walk like men and dwell among the ruins.

And of course it is the home of the Brindled Men, the immensely large, strong and vicious humanoid inhabitants of Sothoryos.

They are distinctly non-human, and would be considered a myth save for the occasional specimen who shows up in the fighting pits of Slaver’s Bay. Maester Yandel describes the Sothoryi as massively muscled, big-boned creatures—not men—with long arms, sloped foreheads, huge square teeth, heavy jaws, coarse black hair, flat noses that suggest snouts, and thick skins brindled in patterns of brown and white, making them seem more hog-like than human. Sothoryi women cannot breed with any save their own males; when mated with men from Essos or Westeros, they bring forth only stillbirths, many of which are hideously deformed.

The Brindled Men however are intelligent, after a fashion, but display a love for violence, killing and savage perversity that is deeply disturbing. The Sothoryi that dwell closest to the sea have learned the Trade Talk. The Ghiscari considered them too slow of wit to make good slaves, but they remain fierce fighters nonetheless. Farther south the Brindled Men become ever more savage and barbaric. They worship dark gods and perform obscene rites. Many are cannibals and some are ghouls, devouring their own dead when they cannot feast on the flesh of foes or strangers.

There are some dubious reports of other races and forgotten peoples in Sothoryos that were driven out, destroyed, or devoured by the Brindled Men. There are also tales of lizard men and eyeless cave-dwellers.

The landscape of the Green Hell is unmapped in detail since no sane person would venture far into it, and every attempt which has been made has ended in slaughter. This danger seems to extend to the coasts, with ships that make landfall generally not surviving to return home again.

The only way past the Green Hell is by air, with the Valyrian expedition led by Jaenaera Belaerys on dragonback passing far overhead and managing to just about traverse the region before landing to the south. This suggests that the Green Hell might be over a thousand miles across, given the known distances that dragons can traverse with riders before requiring rest.

South of the Green Hell, far beyond the edge of any reliable map, the jungles of Sothoryos seem to terminate at a titanic series of mountain ranges. Beyond this lies a region of utterly vast deserts, dwarfing the Red Waste of Essos and the deep deserts of Dorne in size. Barren and lifeless, this desert region extends in all directions for tremendous distances. At the fringes of the desert the Valyrians found more mountains and more jungles (presumably giving way to more temperate forests in the south, far away from the equator). Three years into their mission, even the Valyrians gave up the effort and turned for home.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sothoryos: Basilisk Point

Basilisk Point​

Located in the far north-west of Sothoryos, Basilisk Point is a peninsula forming the west coast of a very wide (200 mile) bay. Basilisk Point is full of the eponymous animals, some of which are twice the size of lions.

Basilisks are a kind of reptile, hideous and fierce, that are also said to infest the jungles of Yi Ti. In some places, basilisks are used to fight other animals, such as dogs, with wagers made on the outcome. A basilisk is able to tear a large dog to pieces. Basilisks are venomous, and are the source of basilisk venom. The Faceless Men use a paste spiced with basilisk blood, which gives meat a savoury scent, but induces a violent madness in any creature with warm blood, whether man or beast. Reportedly, a mouse will attack a lion after a taste of basilisk blood.

Despite this unfortunate neighbourhood, Basilisk Point is – marginally – more habitable than the jungles to the south and east, and there have been several attempts to colonise it. The Valyrians settled a colony in this region but it was soon destroyed. The Rhoynar founded two towns during Nymeria’s flight from Essos, but both were sacked by corsairs and the people taken into slavery.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Loving all of the info on Sothroyos.

I'm surprised that there are no Essosi or Westerosi settlements on the continent now, given that it was apparently based on Africa (well, probably Medieval European conceptions of Africa).

The wyverns look nice and sometimes horrifying.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Midjourney. Sometimes I put the actual picture in there, but usually I just describe them in great detail. For example, Belessa is:
"highly detailed, digital painting, sharp focus, realistic, candid portrait of a gaunt aging medieval woman in her early forties, straw blond hair in a tight bun, square face with sharp chin, deep-seated eyes with dark circles, thin and tight lips, narrow mouth, wearing a thick brown fur cloak --ar 2:3".
Thanks for the example, using a few of these prompts I was able to generate some pretty cool looking portraits!

Will you do a later chapter on the various pirate islands north of Sothoryos or have you already covered them?

The settlement seemed to flourish for several months but then went quiet. A ship sent by Nymeria to investigate found that the settlement had been abandoned, every man, woman and child living there simply gone without a trace.
Reminds me a lot of the missing Roanoke Colony in American History.

I wonder if the Ibbenese have common ancestors or some kind of ties with the Brindled Men, there is seemingly a massive geographic distance, but they both have lots of body hair, sloping brows/heavy ridges, big square teeth and jaws, and infertility with Essosi/Westerosi. Given the earth is round I wonder if the south of Sothoryos is only a short distance from Ibben to the North, maybe the famed ''Ice Dragons'' in the shivering sea are a type of Wyvern.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I did it. Spent my Friday on it, but I went through ALL OF THE PICTURES and marked the source to the best of my knowledge. So feel free to revisit and plunge into the rabbit hole to the world of absolutely marvellous artworks and artists.

I'm surprised that there are no Essosi or Westerosi settlements on the continent now, given that it was apparently based on Africa (well, probably Medieval European conceptions of Africa).
I think it's got a lot from South America too, with all the thick wet jungles that want to murder you with everything they got. And probably Australia, where literally everything everywhere wants you dead. So I guess it's supposed to be this Terra Incognita and the ultimate boogeyland for the people of Westeros and Essos as they tried to establish colonies and failed horrendously.

Thanks for the example, using a few of these prompts I was able to generate some pretty cool looking portraits!
You're welcome! If you don't mind, could you share some of your prompts as well? Your portraits are always so... alive, with backgrounds and stuff, I'd really like to learn how to do that!
Will you do a later chapter on the various pirate islands north of Sothoryos or have you already covered them?
Oh, I definitely will, I actually came to do just that, so please find them starting from my next comment :)
Reminds me a lot of the missing Roanoke Colony in American History.
Definitely! I think that it might actually be an homage to exactly that, too many similarities. to just be a coincidence and not an inspiration.
I wonder if the Ibbenese have common ancestors or some kind of ties with the Brindled Men, there is seemingly a massive geographic distance, but they both have lots of body hair, sloping brows/heavy ridges, big square teeth and jaws, and infertility with Essosi/Westerosi. Given the earth is round I wonder if the south of Sothoryos is only a short distance from Ibben to the North, maybe the famed ''Ice Dragons'' in the shivering sea are a type of Wyvern.
It would seem that both the Ibbenese and the Brindled Men are some kind of a nod to pre-homo-sapiens species, but while Ibbenese might actually be the quasi-neanderthals, so still humans, the Brindled Men are stated as "distinctly non-human", so I'm thinking Australopithecus or Homo habilis maybe? Judging by this illustration of the Sothoryi, I'd rather go with the latter, the habilis.
I really like the idea of Sothoryos coming close to Ib at some point, although it might not be too close cause it's stated that even the Ibbenese claim that there is "absolutely nothing north of Ib for miles".
The Ice Dragons being wyverns I also really like, it would explain why they are not fire-based, but on the other hand wyvern should be smaller than dragons and Ice Dragons are supposedly "far larger than the dragons of Valyria ... and (with) breath of cold". So another goddamn enigma, thank you George, we didn't have enough of those already XD

Reactions:
The Basilisks Isles

The Basilisks Isles​

It is said that to “sail beyond Valyria is a fearsome thing”.

For those living in Westeros and the Free Cities, the prospect of sailing around the broken Valyrian peninsula is still daunting. While there are safe ports now between Volantis and Elyria, being caught in storms off the Valyrian coast is still a very real and terrifying prospect for sailors. There is also the risk of being swept out into the Summer Sea and towards the Basilisk Isles and Sothoryos, where corsairs and plague are common.

South and west of the isle of Moraq lies a land with a name that means only one thing: fear. The southern continent of Sothoryos is a land of burning deserts, thick jungles, boiling plagues, shrieking monsters and unrelenting mystery. The dead cities rotting on that fervid, sweltering shore are best avoided, every law-fearing seamen knows, but for men who are not afraid to pay the iron price there are always provisions to be had in the mud-and-blood towns of the Basilisks Isles, teeming with slavers, skinners, whores, hunters, brindled men… and worse.

Lying off the north-western coast of Sothoryos are the Basilisk Isles, very occasionally still called the Corsair Isles. These islands, the same as the Point to south, are so-called for the basilisks which can be found in the wild. The forbidding name is also apt for the pirates and corsairs who infest the islands.

AnY92AV4G174Fdj1bNZksvTwgl-lEerpFONibsvZLYlQa-z21y-vbaBlSNuf10MQ2Hg9S0vNhEon_CSNYMk--ezxOCWFJHJJyT-D-LpDTxBEK45VaRVLLaJpytC9YT1TcJ4IX4bg9Xx-EMpt7zW1CTU

The islands extend in an arc for roughly 800 miles, from the Isle of Flies in the far west to Ax Isle in the far east.

Once every generation, it seems, fleets were sent to the islands to clear out these vermin of the seas. The Volantenes have been especially assiduous in this regard, often in alliance with one or more of the other Free Cities. Some of these raids have ended in failure when the corsairs fled, forewarned. Others, more ably led, have seen hundreds hanged and scores of ships seized or sunk or put to the torch. One ended in infamy when the ancestor of the last Pirate King Salladhor Saan of the Stepstones, the Lysene captain Saathos Saan, commanding the fleet sent to destroy the corsair strongholds himself turned pirate and reigned as King of the Basilisk Isles for thirty years.

No matter the outcome of such efforts, the corsairs always seem to resume their depredations after a time. Their towns sprout up like toadstools, only to be abandoned the next year, or the year after, left to rot away and sink back into the mud and slime from which they rose. Port Plunder, the most famous of them, is celebrated in many a song and story, yet cannot be found on any map… for the good and sufficient reason that there have been at least a dozen Port Plunders, on as many islands. Whenever one is destroyed, another is founded, only to be abandoned in turn. The same is true of Sty, Whore’s Gash, Black Pudding, and the other pirate lairs, each viler and more infamous than the last.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The Basilisks Isles: Fortress of Tears: The Crow-Eyed Krakens

Fortress of Tears​

The largest and most southerly of the islands is the Isle of Tears, which is roughly 100 miles wide. This island consists of steep valleys, studded with dark bogs and rugged flint hills. On the south coast is a good anchorage, where, well over five thousand years ago (according to tradition), the Ghiscari founded the city of Gorgai. The Valyrians seized the city in the Third Ghiscari War and renamed it Gogossos, using it as a penal colony for centuries. After the Doom of Valyria, Gogossos grew powerful and rich on the slave trade, corsairs seizing captives from nearby Naath and the mainland of Sothoryos to sell in their thousands. After the fall of Essaria to the Dothraki, Gogossos was nicknamed the “Tenth Free City” and may have even become that in truth. But in 25 BC, seventy-seven years after the Doom of Valyria, the Red Death erupted in the slave pens. It swept across the Isle of Tears and then spread across the rest of them. It killed nine of every ten men, who died screaming, bleeding copiously from every body orifice, their skin shredding like wet parchment. Since most of the population was wiped out, the city of Gogossos and the entire island was abandoned. It stayed that way for centuries, shunned even by the pirates that eventually settled on the other islands until one fateful day a ship had run aground and a pale handsome man with black hair, neat dark beard and pale blue lips emerged from the sea.

The Crow-Eyed Krakens​

The Pale Mare, as the ship was called, was a two-mast galley from Qarth commandeered there by a man going by the name of Urrathon Night-Walker. It sailed all the way from the spicers’ city with only one goal, and while its crew believed the goal was plunder, it actually was much sinister. As the cruel fate would have it, the man calling himself Urrathon in truth was none other than the infamous Euron Crow’s Eye from House Greyjoy, and he needed the crew of Pale Mare to die.

Euron’s goal was always chaos. Chaos and power. And probably the power of chaos. And where better to look for that than in the lost cursed city with a rich history of misery, death and blood magic? In order to awaken this dormand terror however Euron needed blood, and lots of it. So he did what any sensible psychopath would do. He bought a ship with a full crew and some spares, renamed the ship into the Pale Mare, because of course he did, and sailed towards his goal. His own ship, Silence, a single-mast galley with pitch-black sails and dark red hull, was always close behind, just barely out of sight.

When the Pale Mare finally reached the western harbour of the Isle of Tears, most of the crew was so sick they could barely stand. Curiously though their captain was seemingly unaffected and instead grew more and more energetic the closer they got to their final destination. When the land was in sight, Euron and a handful of his own men turned on their qartheen crew and managed to slaughter most of them, including the helmsman, while the orphaned Pale Mare drifted cluelessly into the morning fog. With a mournful crash it rammed onto the coral shallows and rested to a stop, blood pouring from atop her deck. While his men meticulously finished their gruesome work, the man who called himself Urrathon jumped into the now-red waters and quickly swam to shore.

What he found was even better than he hoped for. A sprawling ruing of a once-mighty city stretched out between the isle’s western and eastern harbours. In time, with lots of blood, sweat and tears (mostly that of slaves), this ruin would become the mighty fortress of Gogossos.

Two now absolutely enormous harbours, in addition to constantly producing whale and shark meat and other byproducts, are capable of constantly building, maintaining and repairing a suitably enormous fleet of formidable ships for war and occasional commerce alike.

Fortress of Tears
NQ3kLfCXyDf-ekzy9YLsl7O19TuNm5suKYvmfCUFfcPpITudPRKo2NBVNruY2j5ObW975o20t5t2_ucYvSzY4aiqyO5rOFSShmyiNZ2NElBQjeJWYRyh6-zMK3HBcZeatTktGHGOromTfMNGxHa2E78
City of Gogossos
62F5i93LrbAGXyKWRaEpqDTHQ0ZhoebMd80aMUlCv-xXKe7CSRcC6t-CirNTuM2AENTkKee7hL_9zHQ2vN9JgAo4H33fPWSN6yP1EozNxF5_dm9BElvZln6YVWXALjXhj7Q6CsJHVTs7UrUj6EQ8vsA
Housing roughly eleven thousand fighting people alone, with an additional five thousand spread out around the city, it now poses a very significant threat to the whole Summer Sea.

Adding to the already worrisome situation, the entirety of the Basilisk Bay (excluding the Isle of Fleas far to the south-west) is now firmly under the rule of Gogossos, albeit none of the other isles can boast a number anywhere near its liege’s.

Of course in order to unite this traditionally troublesome region, Euron had to do something. So he did, mostly with his crew and his son Boremund, his first child with his Lioness, Cercei from House Lannister. All his other sons either died or left him to pursue their own goals and dreams, sometimes also a bit mad. All, that is, except for Qarl who was born just two years before Euron’s death.

GG9rThQhqN88N9tJdJyM-fBqZb6syNLcMnf7WkLMREfSOcttu5TQ1DGOnK0Ts6YJLuslWp-wcZRx2euwXUmHOlw5jB5Tgv7zaDh56lUtCJyjIviILliiMCxoz24bNYBe0LCv92CDDgfBSNO447kDmAc

Euron’s first order of business was to fortify the ruins immediate to the western harbour. With his base of operations secure, Euron then took his crew deeper into the ominous city, disappearing there for months. It proved worthy one day when a Valyrian Steel longsword, richly decorated with gold and dragonglass, was discovered in a dark room where the ancient Valyrians practised their secret magics. Euron coated the blade in basilisk venom, gathered his posse and ventured off the isle to visit all others. He proceeded to capture them one by one, some with force, some with words, and some with cunning.

After that was done, he gathered some driftwood from the shore of every isle now under his command and made himself an elaborate driftwood crown. His Lioness then placed it upon his head in the beginning of a week-long celebration filled with every sort of debauchery imaginable.

After too many years of terror on the high seas, the vile king Euron the Crow’s Eye finally died at the age of one-and-seventy from a festered wound.

His son Boremund is the current “king” in the Basilisk Bay. A man of unmatched physical prowess, he closely matches his father’s enigmatic charisma. However, quite opposite to his father, Boremund’s heart is lately the one of mercy and forgiveness - something that he often has to ask for himself due to his rather fiery temper, that one probably stemming from his mother. In his wrath he ordered the beheading of his kinswoman, Ghauda Greyrock, a deed that brought upon him the stain of kinslaying and still brings much stress and remorse into his mind.

In his youth Boremund has made a solid reputation in his own right, paying the iron price. In his youth he was a fearsome sight, clad in a thick steel plate and chainmail lined in sealskin, with the breastplate enamelled a deep black, the monstrous golden kraken House Greyjoy engraved upon it, with a single red eye made out of bloodstone. After his ascension however, the “king” does not participate in the reaving often enough, a flaw that made many of his subjects see him as an unworthy successor of the great and terrible Euron.

It is reported that Boremund is often seen twirling bone dice in his hands. These dice were made by his father Euron out of the bones of a woman named Naki, Euron’s myrish concubine and the mother of Lady Margot, the wife of the Lord of Myrish Flatlands, and late Master Toron Greymyr of Nymolis. When she started to age Euron set her aside, but upon discovering that she had been seeing another man he personally drowned them both. Euron often used these dice when making a decision. Boremund had never been observed actually casting the cursed things, he just twirls them every time he has to make a serious decision.

8KZVpnfrDiU_hh2TEN1yEBA75xPzLo73z6LFVeWc1JRCGMTrHxv6AjSJ8PX9EQLC35FQmhVI2KHf50jGBG7naIIUuaWNtZc9kr66ntehVFdwNgeIQiQtLwd38o9s-lB0QSD61ZOMavG8JtAJR0mHuYA

AI by me

What Boremund definitely inherited from both of his parents is their sexual appetites. With a cohort of women and their numerous broods, all of the isles are now ruled by Boremund’s progeny.

eiMNEpQlDxyJ8v42TmYMrbX5ynUOZB3PrnUGFCC1uIyLekyzYVas07AAEplsku2kC0gwDCtznPSIcd9cHV809dUc4SULUEdnxxWt5MbvaXplo3_X4khaWrziMz3CTK7T5RdHkhf4dKUXQjO2_KO0Ofw

Alongside his wives Boremund had a literal harem of women.

His first concubine, Orana, in defiance had a child with one of Boremund’s sailors. He was advised to send her to the Whore’s Gash, but he refused, letting her stay with the sailor, but he too set her aside some time, leaving Orana distraught. She tragically died in the fifth month of her second pregnancy from what started as an ordinary flu, but turned out to be one of the region's most mind-boggling sicknesses - the rare Naathi butterfly plague. How she contracted this very rare disease is unclear. In a peculiar twist of fate, her son by the sailor is now married to Boremund’s daughter Minala.

Three other concubines bore Boremund’s children, some of whom were already covered in the appropriate previous Chapters (please refer to the Chapter on Lorath for more information on Lady Minelna and her daughters, Tansa and Voraria).

GTLxjaElI43TZHVu95HDSEX6Mw54pcZlXbg0bGNM_10AD3fozXgv3vWbSjJ0HivcWd26ExodfHcwb5SBisDR9-7Rn30I4CWIlZp3i4O3Lvwzg3Gm7kpK3QBWUJHcMZfDJhc5DTYEeqZtj3OPh_dyZCY

Boremund’s first lawfully wed wife, Chataya Kizwe, was stolen from her homeland of Naath and forced to marry him when they both were quite young.

6wY6ICxcpPayDEzfzzdCYDbhUPxaYwWJ8S96kM7lKUgjhy-oBWie7NB1sDL3VWKRIuuCJR6txM5HuD2qNo9ABvzEGTLFU6OFLJS_DLJnsbVup-QX2Z3WhRWZ59jyOyYquxS2VyXOzIcQJrijLa0ZFJk

She bore him six children, five of them survived to adulthood. When her husband eventually became infatuated with other women, she took her chance and ran away back home, but unfortunately she died there soon after under unknown circumstances.

While her three sons are happy playing lords on their respective isles, her older daughter Syrana fled all the way to Pyke and married a man named after her grandfather.

y0VpyUdgg8PKu6v2NbG9z_ns3z_T4z7zxvcBGdxrMWkQnKbYgbyG9_YcgzC6bHDN5SweZjCovpiiB7gc7ICmCcvm8aWm0Uy4Hswj3dMLp0s3iJd0Fcesb5hndodCvF0u7Ai4zLDHYN3ILNI6-y_8YCA

Chataya’s younger daughter however took too much after her father and is currently leading a fleet of her own against her kinsmen in Naath on the grounds of her rights as their Queen.

nSG6Sdq2OLmUU_BC6QAkv7wRJhnTGx0acSQFCFdAfbpxbG_jmEGb9OWWxJ-4BgRYpX74xoZx-uKnFJvZ7nxafPQ1UyMYt_1SyUUcvUqbMPKWB-9bG2N7C2PYdUYd22QE_haGeJY3p5csdPtzuuYj1nY

Two of her half-sisters, Aly and Thora, daughters of Boremund’s two different concubines, are in her active opposition. Aly was the first to flee to Naath where she married a handsome, kind man named Kosstellar Kizwe. He turned out to be a brother to the stolen Naathi Princess Chataya, Boremund’s first wife, and himself a literal Prince of Naath who now stands as the heir apparent to the Naathi Queen. Thora eventually followed her sister and also married a Prince, Retelen, brother to the ruling Queen. Unfortunately Aly contracted the local butterfly fever and although she survived this horrendous ordeal, her mind was broken. After the sudden death of Retelen’s pregnant mother and his father’s suspected subsequent suicide, the Prince’s mind was also shattered. Now each responsible for their loved one’s well being, Thora and Kosstellar seem to have formed a close friendship and the two families now live together to ease the burden of managing two unstable adults.

yUIZb8BnEt4mMmaAwQDG5Noc6T579uqmMOjz0Yh4I_9ogr3p3yWZl2Y16vzVgDE88FgB-lgnWlti-ydJQwy6XFetx96yEcKadeauDfY6wB_bH0cuS3Zy-smvhZEj2jJ-1tPPljmyy3xJDN_DKwDdeN4

After the death of his first wife Boremund had a period of freedom, but later somewhat decided to get officially married once again.

His second wife Silaqna zo Grazdan is the sister of the current King of Ghis. In her youth she secretly married a lowborn servant, but he was quickly disposed of by her family and she was married off to the High Master of Yunkai as his second wife. Two years after her husband’s death in battle Silaqna had an affair with one of her little step-son’s lowborn accountants and gave birth to a daughter. The children grew up side by side and although he could not officially marry his step-mother’s bastard daughter, the new High Master of Yinkai made her his chief concubine.

Silaqna met Boremund when came to Yunkai to sell the exceptionally big haul of slaves. Silaqna was smitten by the dashing pirate king and desperately bored, so when Boremund woke up after a night of revelry and found her in his bed he was forced to marry her to avoid her brother’s and her step-son’s wrath. The pair has two children together, but it would seem that although Silaqna is still very much attracted to her husband, he does not share this sentiment at all.

YHwtrbNnHi-zxcSh8LaAZav6XbDoZKvF6bc8DPLDdIVdbwsy1T-Sd9F5NnfD0G6fcgD7ItKw7n3ZlBSOfYY5d7lnH5OCyBz1OmHmucH9lGHoBsoR2CDSYGsQzAfW3kk43IO6U_g3qfPMob6hsUGM_q0

The pair’s daughter Malaesa recently visited the Stepsones with one of her father’s crews and was noticed by the heir of The Southern Stepstones, Malaesa’s kinsman, Ragnal Greyjoy. He is a descendant from both the infamous Kraken’s daughter and from Malaesa’s grandfather, equally infamous Euron Crow’s Eye, with Malaesa being his granddaughter while Ragnal is his great-grandson. The young pair decided to marry and Malaesa stayed in the Grey Gallows.

xLCD3rJBK-18hFcx_cdhrhq4oAf109L4tiRPvPlgCTuuoL52ndeRnkPbRdscUZpXsCRriLjUecwg1pOszcSoqqZYOO3e4hkKo4q1C3qxBYmmNJDOehLAVh47BwtnpUVgWySO7jbg3mGBffgJrOUQ36A

One other daughter of Boremund that we must talk about before finally taking a look upon the rest of the isles is Jolfa, the Mad Mistress of Gogossos. Decidedly unmarried, she nonetheless entertained a lot of lovers throughout the years and unfortunately some of them were less savoury than the others, leaving Jolfa ridden with disease that clearly cost her too much. Her father nonetheless did not lose faith in his beloved daughter and still entertains her belief that she is his mistress of spies.

Kf0FApEmk2bkFy76j8x1TPQ-uypJOOqJYE0WTavI7VWWla4rpolC7uP99qWxcJXlwmDV2tUzS5MmeVHbe8RAwPICWwCbDjI8gHZZTy65Kf0hhDE5ySYwx0Kmd5mqrHT5yGzLZgylNlqQRXR7vi0cJgo

Now that we have met most of Boremund’s daughters, let us finally visit his sons.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Basilisk Isles: A Tight Knot

A Tight Knot​

North and east of the Isle of Tears is the Isle of Toads.

This island is inhabited by strange people with fishlike faces and webbed fingers and toes. There were many small villages and towns on the island, the biggest of them being the Black Pudding built around the north-eastern harbour, but the strangest feature is the Toad Stone, a forty-foot-tall statue made of the same black, oily stone found in Yeen. The statue represents a toad of unpleasant aspect. It is considered cursed and shunned by outsiders, explaining how the isle and its people survived despite being surrounded by pirates and corsairs for generations.

This island was the first to fall to Euron. The stone toad might look scary, but it could do nothing to steel and fire Euron’s tongueless crew brought to its worshippers. When they were done, only the Black Pudding remained. The survivors gathered there and pleaded with their Toad for help. When none was granted, they pleaded with their conquerors. To their surprise, the latter obliged, granting them life in exchange for labour.

At some point Euron decided to amuse Boremund’s firstborn, then seven-years-old Dagmer, and named him the Lord of Toad Isle. The boy was ecstatic and immediately demanded to be relocated to his new domain. His request was granted, but tragically the boy contracted one of the numerous local diseases, no-one really sure which one, but he developed an acute inflammation in his lungs and died within a year, much to the dismay of his mother, Boremund’s then-concubine, Lady Minelna of Lorath.

After that the Toad islanders were mostly left to their own devices and bothered only when taxes were collected, usually in produce as they do not possess any riches to speak of. Recently however Minelna’s second son, Adaros, the one that refused to flee with his mother and sisters, was named as his brother’s successor. Now Lord Adaros took the name of Greytoad, with a grey yellow-eyed toad upon the black field. Adaros is married to Lady Noshi from House Ironmaker, daughter of the infamous Mad Dagon. The pair is expecting their first child.

dhZLxhnHeimu6sHGToTTJs_5eswWkZCuktPlBvaHTVUj2oPrla2rT0hx-fKPILLs92GsH4yhkgyBPywXwpcI7phzqHApQIcOZ2pyjgoATD_810KGnGYuwj2dZa2OMNRyQJidRivKDKZmeguhKvAoidE

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The Basilisk Isles: Birds of Prey

Birds of Prey​

Straight north of the Isle of Tears and north-west from the Isle of Toads is Talon, the second-largest of the islands, so-named because it resembles a claw from above.

150 miles long with several peninsulas and headlands extending into the surrounding sea, it is the home of many of the pirates, with the largest pirate stronghold, Barter Beach, located on its shores.

It is a rough and ready place, very dangerous to visit, but profitable for those with the stomach and the will.

This was Euron’s second destination. At the time of his arrival Talon just lived through an uprising that saw its previous ruler, a surprisingly healthy mantaryan man going by the name of Daeranyx Aderion, violently removed from the isle (he relocated to the Skull Isle where he was eventually found by Euron and finally exiled for good).

lj3v1alYMelGlsR4SxLYBwyJfo6WylU4gmaWdIgsPkgESPIpRFWbmF8PKin6lpAl1OtNShFeh6A-5iv4oRXjploLSMn7hl-3rln9mT1Go9MBpJQ0QYGG2spvENjEdrDoI4WaEYTIScANgBwOAElP2Z4

The new ruler of Talon was Galim Faruud, of Galim the Farosi. Upon his arrival, Euron went straight to the only truly permanent fixture of Barter Beach, a tavern by the name of Crooked Claw, and after a couple of rounds for everyone he suddenly stood up and challenged literally everyone to a duel for the island.

ezUgWYrBGrlp6ydtrzdWlpBAfhRE5OBX_xSfTzsT9ME_9BTgH4wvZ57trxDRXDpTiOvT10oOpcT3vABoykARMcmlg6tiYfF1fTwHohubaojuTJ9n0fs6Vp4Lf7TUzplISM1fmEbYCsYmENJj0IfhYhY

Concept art for Raven's Cry game (if anyone knows the author, please contact me)​

Fortunately for him it was the middle of the day and the establishment was mostly empty, but even four dead pirates flying out of the tavern’s doors were enough to grab Galim’s attention. He was prepared to fight the Crow’s Eye himself, but since he was quite old, Galim reluctantly allowed himself to be talked out of this folly and instead named one giant brute of a man as his champion to represent his right to lead the Talon’s tough crowd. As the chosen man laid choking on his own blood at Galim’s feet, the Farosi saw the futility of further resistance and left the isle.

One of Boremund’s legitimate sons, Vargio, is the current Lord of Talon.

GiiFX25Jrq8NfQjiFokF7JgoeU221FKOR4hCUe2lHRsUiNI0gXeQHH56AliX2j70WCpnLtbtJXHos4gHpeqwz7W3oEP4Tf0WpDuCWZARikb_00pMbkeBh2D75-abp5D4tVHrwPVHHoqV5XAc3acjxaY

The man is said to be obsessed with justice, although mostly in his own interpretation of it. He does not shy from the trials by combat, the most frequent way to conduct a trial among the new gogossosi. Vargio even called upon his own brother and liege, Lord Alton of the Isle of Serpents, accusing him of sleeping with his wife. Vargio lost half of his face as a result as during their fight he lost his balance and fell face-first from one of the woven bridges on the sharp rocks below, igniting Vargio’s burning hatred for his brother whom he holds responsible for his injury.

As an interesting sidenote, these bridges that Vargio fell from connect the peculiar nest-like homes that the pirates somehow perched right under the domes of the Talon’s many caverns.

FJNf5Re3Vek4Rn_J51e_Yn53oS6HycsDax9aVxvdwQhoLlvWdm5FNiIMZNu_7v0yj0krI_TlOHv_WLtabzdov9B_pUsdjF6gd9W6LJ4BZXwgMb7UfvAseDUQUb4uFVA_oWpt3uxPCk0BidNcGOOHy7Q

A corsair settlement on the Basilisk Isles by Martin H. Matthes for Unseen Westeros​

His estranged wife, Lady Roelle Pyke is currently hiding somewhere on the Western Isles under the protection of their Lord Joseran the Bold. It is believed that her escape was aided by none other than Vargio’s nemesis, Lord Alton, who took her along when he left Talon.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: