• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With all due respect to yourselves and the work you've done on this mod, that doesn't make much sense to me to worry that much about culture-group balancing in a converter mod. After all, it's entirely possible that one could convert a game which has culturally converted the entire British Isles to one culture, let's say Irish, where it would be culturally isolated anyway without anyone else in its culture-group. The players themselves could culturally unbalance the world before even converting the game.

I would also find it a bit frustrating if I were committed to playing a Pictish culture game in CK2, even making it into an Imperial power to the point where it certainly wouldn't be "remnants" just for it to be converted to an entirely different culture in EU4 on the assumption that this culture will always be a "remnant".

Again, I do very much appreciate the mod, you've clearly done good work on it, but I don't see the logic or player-friendliness behind this design choice.
- Pictish was already in the Gaelic group. Since Highlander had no way of being converted, this meant that you ended up in the exact same situation as in vanilla. The Gaelic group has 2 cultures (Irish and Pictish, Highlander still exists but has no way of spawning). Highlander is the medieval equivalent to Pictish. Historically, the Pictish culture/language of the highlands mixed with Old Irish due to a migration/conquest and created what we would call Highlander. This would be distinct from the Lowland Scots, who changed in other ways. (This is why there are two culture in Scotland to begin with, and why one is Gaelic and one is British). For all intents and purposes, Pictish is Highlander, at least in my eyes. (I am the one who made the change to have Pictish convert to Highlander)

- There is however, one more reason to do this, that is in fact gameplay related. It's because of Primary Nations. All cultures have a Primary Nation, and if that Primary Nation has that culture as their primary culture, then it can spawn as nationalist rebels even without cores. In addition, the converter gives cores to non-existent Primary Nations. If we add Pictish, then Pictish provinces will not have those cores, or possibilities for nationalist revolts.

- This also makes it easier for the other converters, since everytime we add a culture to one converter, we need to add it to subsequent converters.

- If you really want to see Pictish instead of Highlander, then you can go to the converted_cultures_l_english file in the replace folder of the localisation folder of the mod and set highland_scottish to be named Pictish.

Yeah, so, all looks well from over here. Filesizes look right, all files in place. If it crashes then the issue is either with the computer memory/windows/windows defender or something else. I'm out of ideas. Why not download any other converter and see if they work? If they all crash then issue is definitely on your end.
Since ConverterFrontend.exe did not work with either the Dunbar or D'Este versions, I have resorted to the manual method. The Readme file says "2. Copy your CK2 save into the converter directory.", but which directory is the "converter directory"? I have tried copying it into the directory I unzipped the converter into, as well as the various directories within it, and everytime I run CK2ToEU4Converter.exe I get an error log saying it cannot find my save file. The log file is attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• log.txt
    1,7 KB · Views: 0
Since ConverterFrontend.exe did not work with either the Dunbar or D'Este versions, I have resorted to the manual method. The Readme file says "2. Copy your CK2 save into the converter directory.", but which directory is the "converter directory"? I have tried copying it into the directory I unzipped the converter into, as well as the various directories within it, and everytime I run CK2ToEU4Converter.exe I get an error log saying it cannot find my save file. The log file is attached. Thanks!
The instructions are outdated. Here, take this configuration.txt and edit it so paths match yours. Then put it in ck2toeu4 folder and run the converter. The save can be anywhere as long as the path to it is correct.

Attachments

• configuration.txt
    684 bytes · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
- Pictish was already in the Gaelic group. Since Highlander had no way of being converted, this meant that you ended up in the exact same situation as in vanilla. The Gaelic group has 2 cultures (Irish and Pictish, Highlander still exists but has no way of spawning). Highlander is the medieval equivalent to Pictish. Historically, the Pictish culture/language of the highlands mixed with Old Irish due to a migration/conquest and created what we would call Highlander. This would be distinct from the Lowland Scots, who changed in other ways. (This is why there are two culture in Scotland to begin with, and why one is Gaelic and one is British). For all intents and purposes, Pictish is Highlander, at least in my eyes. (I am the one who made the change to have Pictish convert to Highlander)

- There is however, one more reason to do this, that is in fact gameplay related. It's because of Primary Nations. All cultures have a Primary Nation, and if that Primary Nation has that culture as their primary culture, then it can spawn as nationalist rebels even without cores. In addition, the converter gives cores to non-existent Primary Nations. If we add Pictish, then Pictish provinces will not have those cores, or possibilities for nationalist revolts.

- This also makes it easier for the other converters, since everytime we add a culture to one converter, we need to add it to subsequent converters.

- If you really want to see Pictish instead of Highlander, then you can go to the converted_cultures_l_english file in the replace folder of the localisation folder of the mod and set highland_scottish to be named Pictish.

Well, it was in the "Celtic" group, technically. Yes, that's true about the emergence of "Highlander" culture historically, but it's entirely possible in-game to avoid that cultural conversion and remain purely Pictish, same as it is for Anglo-Saxon to avoid becoming English. And of course Anglo-Saxon is converted as Anglo-Saxon and not English in the mod.

I'm not a modder, so feel free to ignore my suggestion, but I would suggest treating CK2's "Scottish" culture similarly as CK2's "German" or "Italian" cultures, as a composite culture which could be divided up into EU4's more particular cultures. CK2's "Scottish" culture contains elements of both Lowland Scots and Highland Scots and evidently is supposed to be representative of both (And it should be noted that the "Scottish" culture in CK2 appears when a non-Pict rules Pictish provinces). With that in mind, I would suggest that as the game is being converted that "Scottish" culture in the Highland and Isles areas be converted to "Highlander" in order to secure their representation in the game. That would be the most historical, but again as someone who's never modded anything I would have no idea how to implement that or the difficulties involved.

Last edited:
Well, it was in the "Celtic" group, technically. Yes, that's true about the emergence of "Highlander" culture historically, but it's entirely possible in-game to avoid that cultural conversion and remain purely Pictish, same as it is for Anglo-Saxon to avoid becoming English. And of course Anglo-Saxon is converted as Anglo-Saxon and not English in the mod.

I'm not a modder, so feel free to ignore my suggestion, but I would suggest treating CK2's "Scottish" culture similarly as CK2's "German" or "Italian" cultures, as a composite culture which could be divided up into EU4's more particular cultures. CK2's "Scottish" culture contains elements of both Lowland Scots and Highland Scots and evidently is supposed to be representative of both (And it should be noted that the "Scottish" culture in CK2 appears when a non-Pict rules Pictish provinces). With that in mind, I would suggest that as the game is being converted that "Scottish" culture in the Highland and Isles areas be converted to "Highlander" in order to secure their representation in the game. That would be the most historical, but again as someone who's never modded anything I would have no idea how to implement that or the difficulties involved.
We will soon be coming out with a patch that restores Pictish being its own culture in the Gaelic culture group. Instead, Irish will convert to Highlander if it is within the Scottish region.

The instructions are outdated. Here, take this configuration.txt and edit it so paths match yours. Then put it in ck2toeu4 folder and run the converter. The save can be anywhere as long as the path to it is correct.
Thanks, the issues was that I specified the file path but not the filename itself. Now it is working. I have two questions about the EU4 converted file now. In my CK2 game I adopted the Fraticelli heresy and managed to create my own Fraticelli pope in Rome. In the EU4 converted file, I see that the Papal Curia is now controlled by an entity called "FAP" and when I click on its shield it takes me to my own domain. I am not sure if this is a bug or not. The only domains to have influence in this Fraticelli Papacy are mine and this "FAP", but although I have more influence that it does (and I have all the Fraticelli cardinals as well), "FAP" has control of the Curia and I cannot issue Golden Bulls. Will this resolve itself over time as the game recognises that I have more influence, or will I be stuck with "FAP" and be unable to get curia control? My second question is, if I go back to my CK2 save and give some of my Commanders command of my army, will they appear as in-game generals in EU4?

Thanks for all the assistance :D

Thanks, the issues was that I specified the file path but not the filename itself. Now it is working. I have two questions about the EU4 converted file now. In my CK2 game I adopted the Fraticelli heresy and managed to create my own Fraticelli pope in Rome. In the EU4 converted file, I see that the Papal Curia is now controlled by an entity called "FAP" and when I click on its shield it takes me to my own domain. I am not sure if this is a bug or not. The only domains to have influence in this Fraticelli Papacy are mine and this "FAP", but although I have more influence that it does (and I have all the Fraticelli cardinals as well), "FAP" has control of the Curia and I cannot issue Golden Bulls. Will this resolve itself over time as the game recognises that I have more influence, or will I be stuck with "FAP" and be unable to get curia control? My second question is, if I go back to my CK2 save and give some of my Commanders command of my army, will they appear as in-game generals in EU4?

Thanks for all the assistance :D
Unlike pope, fapope is not a kingdom and probably does not start independent. This confuses we eu4 at start. Try and release them before you convert.

As for generals, no, we do not convert them.

Unlike pope, fapope is not a kingdom and probably does not start independent. This confuses we eu4 at start. Try and release them before you convert.

As for generals, no, we do not convert them.
How would I go about releasing them? They are not a part of my realm. They seem independent just like the catholic pope.

How would I go about releasing them? They are not a part of my realm. They seem independent just like the catholic pope.
Would you mind uploading your CK2 save so we can take a look at it?

Hiya, so I decided to test this with WTWSMS since I was curious about it and wanted to see if it worked.

... It didn't, EU4 crashes on the loading screen every single time, without fail. I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to Paradox code and figured I'd upload some stuff here to see if I could get any input regarding it. From what I can see looking through the crash logs, I think it has something to do with a localization file having issues, as well as some bizarre problem with the mission trees I just can't figure out.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• log.txt
    49,2 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    26,6 KB · Views: 0
  • 476_02_02.ck2
    9,3 MB · Views: 0
Hiya, so I decided to test this with WTWSMS since I was curious about it and wanted to see if it worked.

... It didn't, EU4 crashes on the loading screen every single time, without fail. I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to Paradox code and figured I'd upload some stuff here to see if I could get any input regarding it. From what I can see looking through the crash logs, I think it has something to do with a localization file having issues, as well as some bizarre problem with the mission trees I just can't figure out.

Thanks for your time!
WtWSMS support is only nominal at this stage as we introduced some of its cultures and religions. The fellow working on it (outside contributor) has stopped it seems, and we don't have the resources internally to do the required compatches, nor does any of us play WtWSMS I'm afraid.

Sure! Here it is. I'm playing Ragusa.
I've been looking into this and there is no easy solution. Curia controllers are not moddable (at all) so in case Fapope doesn't hold land, the starting curia is broken. Either we rip out entire religion and replace its mechanics with non-curia mechanics or you can temporarily fix this via console - just "own_core <xxx> FAP", where xxx is the number of some province. this should spawn at least nominal FAP.

After further testing, stuff actually works fine. The fapope is 44 years old in 1444 and should die by 1480s, at which point a new fapope will be elected (hopefully older this time). You can't see him because there is no FAP on map. When/if you become curia controller you can choose a bull you like.

The Curia is working as intended. I have changed the history file, so hopefully for games starting in 1444 the Curia control changes a little sooner (It took 76 years before the change, after it, it took 38). Playing as Ragusa, I was able to take control of the Fraticelli Curia and pass a bull.

Reactions:
The Curia is working as intended. I have changed the history file, so hopefully for games starting in 1444 the Curia control changes a little sooner (It took 76 years before the change, after it, it took 38). Playing as Ragusa, I was able to take control of the Fraticelli Curia and pass a bull.
I also played on myself and noticed that after several years (sometime near but before 1500) I suddenly got control of the Curia and was able to pass a Bull. So I guess the landless pope died at that time. Is it still necessary to grant land to the fraticelli pope via the console now? Also I was wondering why Muslim Sicily got Rome on conversion, when in the CK2 file it belonged to the Fraticelli pope. It would make sense to grant that province to FAP I think. Would the same console command work for that purpose?

Thanks for the help :)

EDIT: How do I find what number the Rome province is?