• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blackdrag

Recruit
23 Badges
May 6, 2020
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
After a long pause from playing CK2 I wanted to try playing it again for a bit but sadly I cannot get the game started anymore. I deleted the "~/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II " changed the settings.txt to avoid problems with the fullscreen mode and all that. Nothing did get my past the "loading graphics" screen. See attached settings and log files. What is going wrong here?

Attachments

• settings.txt
    1,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    6,3 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    180 bytes · Views: 0
  • graphics.log
    3,4 KB · Views: 0
  • historical_setup_errors.log
    454 bytes · Views: 0
  • setup.log
    884,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    21,9 KB · Views: 0
  • text.log
    114,2 KB · Views: 0
No obvious problems in those files, although the nVidia driver could stand updating.

No doubt your Linux installation has changed in the meantime. What distro do you use? Wayland or Xorg?

Try running the game's executable from a terminal command line - what output do you see there when it fails?

Its Ubuntu 18.04 with Mint, so Xorg, no Wayland. Here is the command line result:

steam steam://rungameid/203770
Running Steam on ubuntu 18.04 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Steam client's requirements are satisfied
/home/foo/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://rungameid/203770

No clues there, sadly. But did you run the ck2game executable directly? Because that should not be referencing Steam.

I assume an nVidia update did not help?

Sorry, updating the driver on linux can be quite the hassle, so I had to wait for a day where I will not need the computer for other things. After updating to nvidia440 (390 was a failure with my card) and another ck2 update in steam.... it actually works! Hurray

I am sorry! Although I have not yet seen other such reports, and that patch has been out for over a week.

Exactly the same symptoms? If you revert to 3.3.2 is it working again?

I am sorry! Although I have not yet seen other such reports, and that patch has been out for over a week.
The steam forums look different. As for being out for a week... well, because of Corona Steam decided it is a good idea to no let have everyone have updates at the same time. It is perfectly possible to get an update quite a bit later, unless you manually push it.

Exactly the same symptoms? If you revert to 3.3.2 is it working again?
exactly the same...

BUT after going back to 3.3.2 my savegame did not work anymore. First I was a bit frustrated becaus that would have ment quite a few lost gaming hours, but then I realized it must have been working at one point with the new version and the save is probably of the newer version already. I backed up my save, deleted the .paradoxinteractive directory, restarted the game in 3.3.2 - which worked. Then I upgrade to 3.3.3 and started it, which worked again! I restored my backup by deleting the .paradoxinteractive directory again and restoring the version I had and viola it works.

Frankly this final state should have been the same as before. Obviously it is not, otherwise the game would have started before already. I have no clue what the difference is. As I said before: Too bad there is not more helpful logging output.

Since I have no idea what caused the problem, I have to assume it can happen at any time again :(

Last edited:
As for being out for a week... well, because of Corona Steam decided it is a good idea to no let have everyone have updates at the same time. It is perfectly possible to get an update quite a bit later, unless you manually push it.
That may be the case for patches of Steam itself, but not our games; all users have the patch available at the same time.

Anyway, I am sorry for this issue happening to you in this sporadic way! Very odd ... no matter what possible cause one considers, why would it vary like it does for you?

Any further new nVidia driver available to you by now?

And, do Stellaris and EU4 run okay?

.. I restored my backup by deleting the .paradoxinteractive directory again...

Dislcaimer : I'm just another forum (and Windows) user.

May i ask why you restored a backup ?
All you need and can keep is the "mod" and "save games" folders.
I would advise against keeping any other older files.
..and add the obligatory (reltively, see above) clean install recommendation.

Now more of my potentially as helpful, as useless 2cents :

Regarding Nvidia i read a few had issues with older NVidia drivers.
Another issue came up when Geforce Experience had fullscreen set for the game when
it was set to Borderless in settings.txt. No idea if this is relevant on Linux.

Not much else to add, than to see if the dlc folder is in lowercase.
I recall someone stating that his Linux game didn't even start with it as uppercase DLC.
A little weird as i otherwise only recall issues with the DLC tab, but i don't know.

Just another shot in the dark.

Dislcaimer : I'm just another forum (and Windows) user.

May i ask why you restored a backup ?
All you need and can keep is the "mod" and "save games" folders.
I would advise against keeping any other older files.
You are right of course. But currently not even a fresh install does start anymore.

Regarding Nvidia i read a few had issues with older NVidia drivers.
Another issue came up when Geforce Experience had fullscreen set for the game when
it was set to Borderless in settings.txt. No idea if this is relevant on Linux.
I tried borderless set to true and not set to true.

Not much else to add, than to see if the dlc folder is in lowercase.
I recall someone stating that his Linux game didn't even start with it as uppercase DLC.
The list of DLCs does show up in the launcher and the folder is in lower case

Reactions:
That may be the case for patches of Steam itself, but not our games; all users have the patch available at the same time.
I was referring to this: https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/30/...m-auto-updates-preserve-bandwidth-coronavirus

Anyway, I am sorry for this issue happening to you in this sporadic way! Very odd ... no matter what possible cause one considers, why would it vary like it does for you?

Any further new nVidia driver available to you by now?
No idea what the cause could be either... and no new nVidia driver for me right now.

And, do Stellaris and EU4 run okay?
Stellaris has no trouble, EU4 was a bit annoying in selecting the wrong resolution and totally messing up my setup here. But it was always starting and after a bit tweaking I got it starting reliably in 1600x900 windowed mode.

Just read through this whole thread again, still frankly no idea what is happening to you; it's like every time you try something it works for a while then fails again.

Still no other such reports on CK2 have come to me. EU4 is the most similar game to CK2 under the covers, how one can work and one not I don't know!

FYI this game works on my Ubuntu 20.4 installation just fine (and did when it was 19.10 too), and it's just a VM with an emulated video card!

Where to go from here ... anything different from post#3 above if you run the CK2 executable from the command line? Anything about the failure get recorded in Linux logs?